• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolverine prototype gameplay footage leaks (major spoilers)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm a huge X men fan. Read 100s of comics. There is nothing woke in the source material. No feminism. No LGBTQ catering. No minority catering.

Yes, to you of course. I'd agree too. But so too were TLOU2 and God of War. Nothing woke were in those games, yet we have trolls saying those games are WOKE now. The new kids say most things are woke in this day in age.

coffinbirth

xylIuBw.jpg
Seems to only apply to these cyborg fellas. Probably not on the humans, unless they are taking this into M for Mature territory, which given what we're seeing here, is sadly probably not the case. I'd love to be wrong, however.

Seems to only apply to these cyborg fellas. Probably not on the humans, unless they are taking this into M for Mature territory, which given what we're seeing here, is sadly probably not the case. I'd love to be wrong, however.
It 100% is M rated. You see a knife thrown through a guys head with blood spatter. And the mechanics mentions dismemberment. I'm just guessing that decapitation is an afterthought in pre-alpha builds

coffinbirth

It 100% is M rated. You see a knife thrown through a guys head with blood spatter. And the mechanics mentions dismemberment. I'm just guessing that decapitation is an afterthought in pre-alpha builds
I hope you're right. It just struck me as odd that there was only dismemberment on the cyborgs but none on human characters. I've said since this game was announced that it wouldn't be nearly as gory as Origins, and that's on full display here.

Obviously very early footage, so hard to say. Honestly would be surprised if Disney let them decapitate humans, tbh.

Gamerguy84

Wow going to take some effort avoiding major spoilers for thus game.

Hope these cocksuckers get jailtime.
Cybercrime doesn't have harsh enough penalties when people don't give a F and announce they're just going to get out and do it again.

Revisit the sentencing because this affects the developers and employees financially.

Justin9mm

I think the issue with the combat for me is that it doesn't feel like a mature wolverine, I would have preferred it to be like God of War 2018 Wolverine where limbs and blood splatter all over, going ham like Kill Bill. It feels so far tame, but that could change.

btw, do we know how all this leaked?
This alpha footage looks in too early stage to incorporate that type of animation and effect. This is just my opinion but I believe that it will be darker than Spiderman and will include some type of blood/gore. Being Insomniac it 'may' be a little tamer than we like but don't believe they would make it PG friendly and not do it at all. It goes against what Wolverine is and I'd like to think Insomniac have a good grasp of what the game needs to be when it comes to Wolverine and what people are expecting.

As for leaks, who knows, since working from home became a thing, it's been far easier to have stuff leaked.

Last edited:
Most people looking at those leaks simply don't have a fucking clue. Again, this game is due out late 2026.

Friendly reminder how GoW 2018 looked in 2014-15

Ok, but the prototype gameplay doesn't look really that different from prototype to final for God of War. I don't give a shit that the graphics don't look amazing at the start, it's obvious that what we are seeing with the gameplay in the Wolverine leaks is pretty much the style of what we are going to get with that similarly obnoxious zoomed in camera as God of War. The gameplay just screams "this is going to be generic AAA gameplay" with all of the hallmarks included and that is the frustrating part about it.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Ok, but the prototype gameplay doesn't look really that different from prototype to final for God of War. I don't give a shit that the graphics don't look amazing at the start, it's obvious that what we are seeing with the gameplay in the Wolverine leaks is pretty much the style of what we are going to get with that similarly obnoxious zoomed in camera as God of War. The gameplay just screams "this is going to be generic AAA gameplay" with all of the hallmarks included and that is the frustrating part about it.
So what do you want?

Another generic japanese anime action game?

Another generic low quality Souls like?

The camera is closer in because a closer camera makes for a more intimate and visceral style of combat.

So what do you want?

The camera is closer in because a closer camera makes for a more intimate and visceral style of combat.
Yeah, I do want a Japanese action game, because at least the combat would be more complex than what we are going to get here. Hell, even using Sekiro would be a drastic improvement over what we are seeing here.

hyperbertha

Imagine having spent so much time reading something, yet completely miss the underlying themes. It’s not like it’s even subtle. But yeah, huge fan right there, folks. 🙄
I don't need you clowns to lecture me on what the 'themes' were. You are deliberately trying to mischaracterize what people mean by woke. Xmen never pandered to far left non sense. Simply implying racism and segregation in the subtlest manner is not woke.nice try.

I was never super hyped for the Wolverine game. Spider-Man is unique in that the web swinging is his signature feature, which allows for unique and creative gameplay. Wolverine's big thing is his claws, which can be boiled down to melee attacks.

The leak proved my lack of hype justified, it looks a lot like a PG-13 version of the combat from the recent God of War games, with some Batman: Arkham Asylum mixed in along with the Sony Brand Scripted Cinematic Chase Sequences.

hyperbertha

He is either lying or is incredibly dense.

X-Men has always been about civil rights, race relations, and quickly incorporated the aspect of kids coming out to their parents and their parents not accepting them.

It's hilarious how everything X-Men has been doing for decades would now be seen as woke.

Rogue is probably the strongest member of the X-Men on a day to day basis and Jean Grey is the strongest potentially. Of the primary X-Men, I believe Storm and Jean Grey are actually the only omega level mutants.

How long until Wolverine being canadian is considered woke lol?
You don't even understand what woke is. Stop pretending to be smart. You are denser than most. Xmen never force fed feminist propoganda or commie propoganda. It was never about that.

skyfall

You don't even understand what woke is. Stop pretending to be smart. You are denser than most. Xmen never force fed feminist propoganda or commie propoganda. It was never about that.

x-men is literally one of the 'wokest' media properties there is, Just back then we didn't have the words woke and liberals where A LOT more subtle with their message themes

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men#Themes_and_motifs

Last edited:

sendit

Wild that you're able to make that conclusion based on prototype footage. Not even a named stage in development. Thought people would have learned after judging graphics/gameplay based on leaked footage of GTA6.

hyperbertha

x-men is literally one of the 'wokest' media properties there is, Just back then we didn't have the words woke and liberals where A LOT more subtle with their message themes

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men#Themes_and_motifs
Another moron with no clue what woke means. Stop trying to brand the right-wing as racists or sexists. They don't protest equal messaging. Only malicious messaging which xmen never had. Until the 2010s anyways when it was taken over by hack writers.

I don't need you clowns to lecture me on what the 'themes' were. You are deliberately trying to mischaracterize what people mean by woke. Xmen never pandered to far left non sense. Simply implying racism and segregation in the subtlest manner is not woke.nice try.

Actually, it appears that you DO, in fact, require this lecturing. It’s never been subtle, it only appears that way to you because you are so incredibly thick.

Zuzu

I think the combat looks fun and it looks like it'll have the cinematic set pieces that Insomniac do really well with. Regarding the second playable character - at least she is another super hero so hopefully her segments will be pretty good since she has super powers and it looks like her sections are combat focussed (unlike the stealth levels for Mary Jane in Spiderman). The detective parts where you use your senses looks boring and tedious. I'm tired of that type of gameplay - it's just not fun.

ProtoByte

So what do you want?

The mechanics make the combat visceral, not necessarily the camera angle.
I'm gonna indoctrinate you with Prototype:

Wolverine being a mix of God of War '18/Ragnarok and Prototype would've been ace. Honestly, so would X-Men in general.
Now that I think about it, a lot of superheroes would get by on that.

The detective parts where you use your senses looks boring and tedious. I'm tired of that type of gameplay - it's just not fun.
More games need to be embrace enough to just not include all the "padding". Wolverine is part ninja in training, but I would've been fine for this game to just not have stealth.

His senses are essential too, and I think that they can be cool with a more stylized visual language, which wouldn't be here, but still.

Gamerguy84

This sucks. But I guess that's what you get for very lax work from home policies by the company.

But the game looks great even this early in development, kudos to the masters at Insomniac.

Yea tighten up your security for real.

I work for the US Department of Defense and my work laptop has never been compromised. I've even been on gaf with it. It's allowed, it stops me from being anywhere dangerous.

Whoever got hacked was a higher up because I'm sure not all 500 employees had this information. This was a top dog at Insomniac.

But yes bring on the game I'm really excited for it. I just have to avoid the roadmap and all these leaks.

I remember TLOU2 on the games sub and people were DMing regular users the biggest spoilers in one sentence. They hit me with
Abby kills joel
. That wasn't for money that was to ruin an average person's good time with it.

Vick

This is the very first leak I saw:

So I was obviously a little suprised to come here and be faced with some borderline retarded comments and copious amount of fake criticism from the usual folks who were going to pretend disappointment no matter what it was.. but anyway.

It's not Origins, but looks fun as shit to me still.
Much better than what I was expecting after seeing the TLOU-look-alike pic leaked last week. Loved reading about the hub structure too, this is all promising. I just need much more gore for critical hits but this is a definite buy.

Press parry for complexity

Nice try.
I find funny how parry is present in this 2 minute prototype clip from a game releasing in 2026.

Wait wait wait. X men is WOKE?! You’re telling me, that mutants coming out to their parents and getting disowned, humanity being incredibly bigoted towards mutants, the bad guy, Magneto, being a holocaust survivor who becomes a mutant supremacist after losing faith that humanity will ever accept them - Xavier maintaining the dream that mutantkind and humankind will cohabitate in peace one day… you’re telling me all that is some sort of allegory???

coffinbirth

Wild
Wild that you're able to make that conclusion based on prototype footage. Not even a named stage in development. Thought people would have learned after judging graphics/gameplay based on leaked footage of GTA6.

Wild that you didn't notice the fact that these are the vertical slices of a game mid-development that we are talking about, not the traversal animation test footage, sorry "prototype footage".... the most prominent one featured is, in fact, named "Intro To Madripoor", and notably doesn't feature any dismemberment. "Living Memory" and "Senses Investigation" didn't feature combat.

That's all I was trying to point out. Just speculating on a leak for a game that doesn't release for quite some time, relax.

Also, one half of that link just got proven wrong, why not the other? Especially considering it came from Jeff Grubb, whom seldomly seems to know what the fuck he is talking about, the release of this very game not being in released in 2024, for one.

What did we learn from that GTA VI leaked footage vs the trailer, that a PS5 or a 4090 can make a game look much prettier than a GTX 750? Because we know exactly squat else beyond that. That shit was looking impressive on low end hardware well over a year ago, not really an apples to apples comparison beyond being mid-development and there being plenty of time to wait to see how these things ACTUALLY compare to their retail releases.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I hope you're right. It just struck me as odd that there was only dismemberment on the cyborgs but none on human characters. I've said since this game was announced that it wouldn't be nearly as gory as Origins, and that's on full display here.

Obviously very early footage, so hard to say. Honestly would be surprised if Disney let them decapitate humans, tbh.
We've been through this song and dance before.

sendit

What did we learn from that GTA VI leaked footage vs the trailer, that a PS5 or a 4090 can make a game look much prettier than a GTX 750? Because we know exactly squat else beyond that. That shit was looking impressive on low end hardware well over a year ago, not really an apples to apples comparison beyond being mid-development and there being plenty of time to wait to see how these things ACTUALLY compare to their retail releases.
Are you on drugs?

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
This alpha footage looks in too early stage to incorporate that type of animation and effect. This is just my opinion but I believe that it will be darker than Spiderman and will include some type of blood/gore. Being Insomniac it 'may' be a little tamer than we like but don't believe they would make it PG friendly and not do it at all. It goes against what Wolverine is and I'd like to think Insomniac have a good grasp of what the game needs to be when it comes to Wolverine and what people are expecting.

As for leaks, who knows, since working from home became a thing, it's been far easier to have stuff leaked.
I just saw more footage, and it reminds me of an old game BloodRayne where she also has blades and stuff and slides from one enemy to the next.

Seem? It's just one scene in an early build video. How can you know?

Dude just got both of his legs cut off by Wolverine in this new footage. Don't jump to conclusions so quickly when you haven't seen enough.

Last edited:

simpatico

The content of this leak really makes it all so tiresome. Wolverine Arkham combat, Uncharted wall climbing, terrible actors. Is AAA gaming really dead bro's? All we got left is GTA, Japan and indies.

Press R1 for Detective Mode, go search for clues and trinkets as Logan!

Last edited:
Would've liked if Wolverine was a bit more bulky and muscular. His physical frame in the footage makes him look a bit too slim.

EDIT: Its still early footage. Maybe they'll change it in the final version.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The mechanics make the combat visceral, not necessarily the camera angle.
true but the camera angle and mocap helps a lot visually when you can get a better view of what exactly it is you're doing to the enemy. The brutal death animations wouldn't work nearly as well if zoomed out like DMC or Bayonetta.

A wider out camera angle almost always has better GAMEPLAY though. And IMO, that's what really matters, games with that style of camera also tend to have better replay value due to a lot of the other design decisions with that framing. There's a reason Kratos has a ring around him that flashes when enemies are behind.

CGNoire

Would've liked if Wolverine was a bit more bulky and muscular. His physical frame in the footage makes him look a bit too slim.

EDIT: Its still early footage. Maybe they'll change it in the final version.
His face looks even worse. They seem to be matching it to the actor. No wonder they lock the camera behind you so you cant make out his face.

Top Bottom