• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you rather go to Hogwarts or Ilvermorny? (Harry Potter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
With the new information about Ilvermorny, it brings an interesting question to those wishing they had received an owl letter around their 11th Birthday; Would you rather go to Illvermorny instead?

QYy9iJS.png

• It's in America.
  • By the 1920s, Ilvermorny had been flourishing for more than two centuries and was widely considered to be one of the greatest magical educational establishments in the world.
  • The risk of death has to be lower than Hogwarts.
  • All of the houses sound great
  • The house symbols are cool.
  • School part-founded by a No-Maj (Muggle)
  • Ilvermorny has the reputation of being one of the most democratic schools
  • Regarded as the least elitist of all the great wizarding schools.
  • For some reason Rowling pointed out that the school makes students well versed in using wands, as though Hogwarts doesn't lol. Hey we like our guns too, why not wands as well!

Veelk

Banned
I don't think I'd want to commute to a different country just to go to school, so I'd probably go there regardless.

But you'd have to specify what era. If it's the modern era, it'd probably the first place to get shot up.

Judging by the emblem it looks like the concept of the American one is just a clone of Hogwarts
Yes. The founder was an Irish immigrant who lived with Voldemort's great great great something (who murdered her brother/father of the founder) and wasn't allowed to go to Hogwarts. So when she started her own school she modeled it after Hogwarts because she'd always wanted to go there as a child.

dabig2

I haven't read the books nor watched the movies, but from what some of my friends who have say about it: Ilvermorny sounds way more chill and diverse. So if I was some magic being with a choice between the 2, I'd choose the good ol USA.

Bit-Bit

Ilvermorny. It's founded by an immigrant and a non magical dude. That's the most American thing I've ever heard.

Plus, there's no evil house that produces dark lords....

Ilvermorny. It's founded by an immigrant and a non magical dude. That's the most American thing I've ever heard.

Plus, there's no evil house that produces dark lords....
Yeah, I don't understand why Hogwarts would retain a house whose students will likely end up evil. Like, they should just expel anyone who gets sorted into Slytherin.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How does Hogwarts feel about Brexit, though?

Ri'Orius

For some reason Rowling pointed out that the school makes students well versed in using wands, as though Hogwarts doesn't lol. Hey we like our guns too, why not wands as well!

The first article about the American wizarding traditions mentioned that the natives historically didn't use wands, which are a European invention. But since Ilvermorny is one more bastion of Western colonialism and erasure of native culture, of course they'd use wands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom