• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you rather go to Hogwarts or Ilvermorny? (Harry Potter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
As a Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff is easily the best house. I've discussed this. It is known.

How does that line up with what we learn about Hufflepuff from the play?

If you're the best Hufflepuff has to offer, it's best to die, otherwise you'll turn evil at the drop of a hat.

Cheerilee

Honestly even as a hardcore Harry Potter fan, that sounds like a cheap way to conceptualize what still ultimately comes off as an in-universe hogwarts clone.

It's unabashedly a clone, but it's better in concept than Hogwarts.

Hogwarts: The four smartest Wizards of their age decide "We should build a school, that way other people can be as awesome as we are." A pig in a dream tells Ravenclaw where to build it. Slytherin says "So we're all in unspoken agreement, right? No Jews and no Niggers?" The other three go wide-eyed. Slytherin says "Fine, jerks. I can tell when I'm not wanted" and quits. The other three bow to pressure from the Trump vote and hire the first in a long line of replacement Slytherins, ensuring that hatred and bigotry will always find a home at Hogwarts.

Ilvermorny: A descendant of Slytherin is kidnapped and abused by her family. She runs away to the New World, forms bonds with magical creatures, marries a muggle, and adopts orphaned Wizard children. She builds a school for her kids so they can have the positive Hogwarts experience she never had, and it quickly grows to become the equal of Hogwarts. Somehow an abused, uneducated child of Slytherin can create a more healthy and well-adjusted school than the greatest four Wizards in history.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Hogwarts in a heart beat. Myself and my future kids aren't going to trade down for the almost assuredly crappier American version of such a fine learning institution. It's like Top Gear US, nah I'll stick with the original thank you.

*Top Gear sucks now :(

SalvaPot

I am more interested in the Mexican Magic School:
tumblr_mggx9ljJVD1rn8um6o1_500.jpg

CloudWolf

Hogwards is probably one of the worst schools in existence. People die every year, teachers turn out to be vessels for the Lord of Darkness, teachers work for the Lord of Darkness, it was sieged at least twice in recent memory and there's a forest right outside the door which houses some of the deadliest beasts in existence. Homeschooling is better than that shit.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hogwards is probably one of the worst schools in existence. People die every year, teachers turn out to be vessels for the Lord of Darkness, teachers work for the Lord of Darkness, it was sieged at least twice in recent memory and there's a forest right outside the door which houses some of the deadliest beasts in existence. Homeschooling is better than that shit.
Problems solved since Harry is out of school for 20 years :D

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I got sorted into Pukwudgie.

But I'm also in Ravenclaw.

Same. seems so weird, they're so different sounding.

I'm a Pukwudgie and a Slytherin, seems even weirder.

I got Pukwudgie, Gryffindor in Hogwarts.

Ilvermorny houses going on what is written on pottermore are based on different ideals, so it's not surprisingly that you might be in what seems like a different house comparatively, I don't believe any of them are supposed to be 1:1 with the Hogwarts houses.

brawly

That was only during 7 years. School has been around for decades.

cheezcake

I got Pukwudgie, Gryffindor in Hogwarts.

Ilvermorny houses going on what is written on pottermore are based on different ideals, so it's not surprisingly that you might be in what seems like a different house comparatively, I don't believe any of them are supposed to be 1:1 with the Hogwarts houses.

Yeh they seem quite different. Thunderbird and Gryffindor are definitely the closest though.

I got sorted into Pukwudgie. But I'm also in Ravenclaw.

Same thing here. *hi-five*

"You're late...welcome to the class, please take a seat Mitchum... Bimblewopper."

Mitchum took a seat by the window and breathed a sigh from which he could barely detect the toast he was eating while running to class.

He looked out the window apathetically. He had thought everything could change by moving to the US and living alone (how he came to live in such a nice Perkins Real Estate studio apartment alone as a 15 year old was unknown). But it seemed like nothing would now. Back to the same old.

Lunch time. He bent over the side of his desk to grab his lunch when all of a sudden...he felt his face pressed into what felt like a large fluffy pillow.

He looked up, and saw a cute girl's face, tomato red with embarrassment.

"BAAAKAAAA!!!!"

...I need more of this.

The Adder

Banned
Yeh they seem quite different. Thunderbird and Gryffindor are definitely the closest though.

I don't think so. Thunderbird seems more concerned with improving the inner self and expanding your literal and metaphorical horizons. Wampus shares more of that gung-ho ready to throw down at a moment's notice spirit with Gryffindor than Thunderbird, and even then it's still not quite the same. Puckwudgie seems to be where courage, Gryffindor's primary trait, is most valued at Ilvermorny.

Upinsmoke

Hogwarts

I mean the story of how the school came about is nice and all but doesn't have the lore of hogwarts, the history.

Not everyone does case in point Slughorn.

Fuck either school though, I want to go to Uagadu.

Gimme that Uagadou. Ilvermorny is still in the United States. Many of the students will be coming from eleven years of exposure to US culture, so who's to say there won't be racism in the school? "You're not a mud blood, but you are from mud people..."

If I wrote fanfic, there would be an HBCU version of Ilvermorny. But I think Black Twitter already covered that. :)

TheZink

I'm going to open a Florida branch, its going to be the shit. I'm calling it Swampworts.

We're going to have

House Mouse

House Tebow

House Publix

House Big Fucking Cockroach

We even have our version of Voldemort here already
As a Floridian I find this hilarious

Syder

Sorry I don't watch that. What's this reference?
The Office is a British comedy, starring Ricky Gervais, that was adapted for American audiences, starring Steve Carell, basically both shows have their positives and negatives like I imagine both of these schools would.

Blues1990

Ilvermorny. It's founded by an immigrant and a non magical dude. That's the most American thing I've ever heard.

Plus, there's no evil house that produces dark lords....

Given that there is no indication of a wizarding school located in Canada, and that there's a lesser chance of getting my ass blown off by Death Eaters & such, then I guess this place will be my go-to for magical academics. The school must be huge, as it needs to house a number of students from across North America.

But with regards to one of the founders, I have to ask: Given that most, if not all, non-magic users are incapable of seeing magic in any capacity, then how does that work?

Toxi

Banned
How does that no anti muggle racism thing work? You get expelled when you say something racist?
Nah, it's more just a different culture there.

One of Hogwarts' founders was a pure blood supremacist who made a plan to murder people of muggle descent. His house is not so coincidentally filled with children of the Harry Potter equivalent of the KKK.

Meanwhile, one of Ilvermorny's founders was a muggle/no-maj.

Obviously there's probably still some prejudice, but not nearly as much as there was in Hogwarts.

Cheerilee

So why is there zero racism in Ilverymorny?
How does that no anti muggle racism thing work? You get expelled when you say something racist?

It's not "zero racism", but the school was founded by someone who could have been considered a bad seed whose life was ruined because her descendant-of-Hitler parents were good people who liked to help Muggles, and she herself married a Muggle, who helped found her school. Her kindness also broke down the barriers of a race of magical creatures who prided themselves on their racism towards Humans.

As a result of it's origins, it's described by the author as the least racist school in the Wizarding World. Why would a Muggle-hater like a Malfoy want to go to a school that was co-founded by a Muggle and for all we know might currently have a Muggle Teacher, or a Muggle Vice Principal?

It's unclear if Ilvermorny's "least racist" title comes solely from it's inherent pro-Muggle position, or if that extends to other kinds of racism. I think JKR said in regards to previous Harry Potter work that racism as we know it mostly doesn't exist in the Wizarding World, because country/skin based racism was a quaint Muggle failing, and Wizards were more concerned with Muggle-Wizard racism.

Maybe students at Ilvermorny are racist towards Native Americans. They tried to include Native American Wizards once, but the Natives got upset and said "What are you doing stealing our culture? Get lost and stop associating with us."

Do they even learn anything in hogwarts not magic related? Cause they all seemed pretty dumb.

Doubt it, I doubt anyone even goes to Muggle Studies. The Weasley's father had to ask Harry the exact function of a rubber duck and I think someone had to ask Harry what a Playstation was when Harry said Dudley broke his.

I'd rather go to Beauxbatons in France. It's said that the education there is better than Hogwarts and...well...

latest

Apt101

Hogwarts so when I graduated I could return to America and be that insufferable friend who studied overseas and thinks they're better than everyone else. Use British terms and phrases because I'm sophisticated and worldly. And never be invited to parties.

ATF487

Do these schools have spheres of influence?

My answer would be Hogwarts but I live in Massachusetts :(

I mean, how awesome would that train ride up to Hogwarts be

Cheerilee

Do these schools have spheres of influence?

My answer would be Hogwarts but I live in Massachusetts :(

I mean, how awesome would that train ride up to Hogwarts be

The train connects Muggle London to Hogsmeade Village in a Wizard-hidden part of Scotland. It's the scenic route into Hogwarts, but any magical transportation device (like a flying broom) can get you across to London or into Hogsmeade. Wizards can teleport (not directly into Hogwarts, you have to stop in at Hogsmeade), so distance really isn't an issue.

Plus Hogwarts is a boarding school. At minimum, you'd only have to travel at the beginning and end of the school year. You can choose whether you want to stay at the school or go home during vacations.

BokehKing

Banned
I got thunderbird

Anyway, why would I go to a house that was never talked about until now? I would rather go to Hogwarts were history went down time and time again.

It would be like asking me if I rather go play for the Yankees or the Mets, of course I would pick the Yankees.

Would I rather he a West Coast Avenger or part of the real Avengers

A red shirt or Rock a tan or blue shirt on the star ship enterprise.

C'mon

It's not "zero racism", but the school was founded by someone who could have been considered a bad seed whose life was ruined because her descendant-of-Hitler parents were good people who liked to help Muggles, and she herself married a Muggle, who helped found her school. Her kindness also broke down the barriers of a race of magical creatures who prided themselves on their racism towards Humans.

As a result of it's origins, it's described by the author as the least racist school in the Wizarding World. Why would a Muggle-hater like a Malfoy want to go to a school that was co-founded by a Muggle and for all we know might currently have a Muggle Teacher, or a Muggle Vice Principal?

It's unclear if Ilvermorny's "least racist" title comes solely from it's inherent pro-Muggle position, or if that extends to other kinds of racism. I think JKR said in regards to previous Harry Potter work that racism as we know it mostly doesn't exist in the Wizarding World, because country/skin based racism was a quaint Muggle failing, and Wizards were more concerned with Muggle-Wizard racism.

Maybe students at Ilvermorny are racist towards Native Americans. They tried to include Native American Wizards once, but the Natives got upset and said "What are you doing stealing our culture? Get lost and stop associating with us."

I assume this is a reference to what is happening IRL? Because J.K. Rowling /is/ getting heat for her attempt to include Native culture from Natives who really are saying "What are you doing stealing our culture? Get lost and stop associating with us."

It's unabashedly a clone, but it's better in concept than Hogwarts.

Hogwarts: The four smartest Wizards of their age decide "We should build a school, that way other people can be as awesome as we are." A pig in a dream tells Ravenclaw where to build it. Slytherin says "So we're all in unspoken agreement, right? No Jews and no Niggers?" The other three go wide-eyed. Slytherin says "Fine, jerks. I can tell when I'm not wanted" and quits. The other three bow to pressure from the Trump vote and hire the first in a long line of replacement Slytherins, ensuring that hatred and bigotry will always find a home at Hogwarts.

Ilvermorny: A descendant of Slytherin is kidnapped and abused by her family. She runs away to the New World, forms bonds with magical creatures, marries a muggle, and adopts orphaned Wizard children. She builds a school for her kids so they can have the positive Hogwarts experience she never had, and it quickly grows to become the equal of Hogwarts. Somehow an abused, uneducated child of Slytherin can create a more healthy and well-adjusted school than the greatest four Wizards in history.
I see, that does sound like Ilvermorny is the better school. Still, she wrote for the school to but in such a way similar to Hogwarts that it comes off as a clone shoehorn for adding to the lore.
The Office is a British comedy, starring Ricky Gervais, that was adapted for American audiences, starring Steve Carell, basically both shows have their positives and negatives like I imagine both of these schools would.
Oh. I didn't even know there was a british version that the american was based on.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Between the 15 years were Harry was at Hogwarts and the hundreds and hundreds of years Hogwarts existed I doubt that it was all but manslaughter at Hogwarst.

At least I can form a better opinion on Hogwarts then on some school we have a page full of text from.

Kathian

Banned
Tbh Hogwarts is probably looked down on globally considering it was founded by Slytherin (continues to have a house representing him and his ilk) and gave birth to Lord Voldermort.

At the same time it produces the greatest Wizards in the world. You'd go to Hogwarts. Even Snape was a Slytherin and since the events were in the 90s its clear that now the house of Slytherin would have an improved outlook.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm good. I'll be keeping my super-wand.

Qdn1mLC.png

Got into Gryffindor, but got Voldemort's wand.

"This is my wand. There are many other wands like it but this... well to be honest there aren't many like this, in fact Ollivander told it's the only one of its kind on account of the rare albino-Sloth pubic-hair core..."

Fusebox

Banned
Actually being a co-ed at Beaxbatons would be an awesome second choice.

Omg what do I have to do to get into Beaxbatons?! I'd even be the school cleaner if they'd let me in. I'd chew their old bubblegum straight off the bottom of their desks.

Tonedeff

Not gonna lie, after despising it at first, the name Ilvermorny has grown on me like a motherfucker. And I'd rather go to school in America if I can. So Ilvermorny it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom