• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.K Rowling Unveils the magic school names for U.S.A, Brazil, Japan, and Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What? You never heard of the Transfer Student from Hong Kong?

WxD9hCHl.jpg

Heh, thanks for reminding me

Sesha

If either the Indian or Chinese school isn't built on the back of a giant sea turtle it'll be a huge missed opportunity.

scamander

Banned
I detected instant dogwhistle when I read, 'USA, Brazil, Japan, and Africa.'

Like, seriously, pick a fucking country.

Where did you read 'USA'? All I ever read was 'North America'.

So where do we think the other four schools are?

My guess is at least Australia and the Middle East. But it seems Uagadou is pretty large, so...

China? India?

I *HOPE* there is one in Germany (or Austria), I *THINK* there'll be at least another one in Asia, I *DOUBT* Australia will get their own school.

stupei

I'll never accept the Dumbledore is gay one... it's like she was filling a quota. The books don't even hint at that...

It's like she decided it when she was asked, not something that was planned from the start. Not that she didn't do that before anyways...

Not to go too far down this road (again), but I honestly don't know how people didn't realize he's gay on their own in Deathly Hallows. There's an entire side tangent about his teenage years where he was incredibly close with a boy who was his favorite person he'd ever met. They wrote letters to each other and Dumbledore almost went to the dark side for this boy. Hell, even Dumbledore's brother talks about how pissed Grindelwald was for him trying to come between the two of them.

If the other person had been a girl that Dumbledore knew as a teenager, people would have immediately seen it for what it was. Not that young men can't be friends, of course, but there is very little subtlety in these books when it comes to who someone is attracted to. Hermione and Ron was telegraphed from around book two. It seemed super obvious to me that Dumbledore was super into this dude. (The only surprise was that JKR acknowledged it.)

Which, to bring it back to the school names: subtle is very rarely something JKR has used in these books and one of the only times she did (Dumbledore being gay), people accuse her of it never even happening. I can see why she opts for heavy handed.

And none of this is as lazy as "Cho Chang."

Not to go too far down this road (again), but I honestly don't know how people didn't realize he's gay on their own in Deathly Hallows. There's an entire side tangent about his teenage years where he was incredibly close with a boy who was his favorite person he'd ever met. They wrote letters to each other and Dumbledore almost went to the dark side for this boy. Hell, even Dumbledore's brother talks about how pissed Grindelwald was for him trying to come between the two of them.

If the other person had been a girl that Dumbledore knew as a teenager, people would have immediately seen it for what it was. Not that young men can't be friends, of course, but there is very little subtlety in these books when it comes to who someone is attracted to. Hermione and Ron was telegraphed from around book two. It seemed super obvious to me that Dumbledore was super into this dude. (The only surprise was that JKR acknowledged it.)

Which, to bring it back to the school names: subtle is very rarely something JKR has used in these books and one of the only times she did (Dumbledore being gay), people accuse her of it never even happening. I can see why she opts for heavy handed.

And none of this is as lazy as "Cho Chang."

Is that even a real Chinese name?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I *HOPE* there is one in Germany (or Austria), I *THINK* there'll be at least another one in Asia, I *DOUBT* Australia will get their own school.

Probably my thread title.

ivysaur12

Banned

From last night:

J.K. Rowling ‏@jk_rowling
That information will be revealed in due course!

dan debuf @dandebuf
@pottermore @jk_rowling where do aussie wizards go? ⚡️🇦🇺⚡️

Ilvermorny is a weird ass name for the North American school. I would think there would be more than one for the continent, but at the same time Hogwarts covers all of the UK and not just England. North American wizards and witches going to the same school as Mexican, Puerto Rican, and Samoan wizards and witches will provide cultural exposure and tolerance.

ivysaur12

Banned
Oh, I forgot that Russia had a school too. And the only thing we know about it (they play a type of Quidditch on uprooted trees) is in the map of the schools.

So my guesses would be somewhere in the Middle East, Australia, Russia, and China.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Already three major schools in Europe.

Not to mention the Triwizard Tournament was supposed to be between the biggest in Europe. If there was a 4th European school in this list of 11 Great Wizarding schools then the Tournament probably would have been set up for 4 schools. Dumstrang was also described as not being all that big to begin with.

sphagnum

Banned
A magic school during the time of the Byzantines continuing the legacy of Graeco-Roman magic would be pretty boss but I would think that if there's only 11 great schools it would have fallen to the wayside by this point so that Rowling can put schools in more non-European places. As it is, we already have three in Europe (unless Beauxbatons and Durmstrang aren't considered "great" schools?)

If Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, Durmstrang, Ilvermorny, Mahoutokoro, Uagadou, and Castelobruxo are 7 of the 11, I would hope that the remaining 4 are in China, India, Iran, Oceania. Would've really liked there to be one for Egypt though.

injurai

Banned
Cho and Chang are both Korean last names. Neither is a traditional Asian first name. The character herself is supposed to be Chinese.

edit: "To JK Rowling, from Cho Chang."

Cho and Chang is also a Chinese surnames. It's also common with Asian titles to list the last name first. So JK Rowling probably mistook Cho to be a first name when she was writing the character. I really don't think this is as lazy as people try to make out. It's not like some struggling single mother living in and out of shelters and on welfare is going to be highly well learned in Asian culture. Especially given the era in which she wrote these books. When internet access was rare, and the ease to find things is not like it is today.

Kinokou

Already three major schools in Europe.

Not to mention the Triwizard Tournament was supposed to be between the biggest in Europe. If there was a 4th European school in this list of 11 Great Wizarding schools then the Tournament probably would have been set up for 4 schools. Dumstrang was also described as not being all that big to begin with.

Hogwarts is actually the smallest of the three in terms of students according to the Beauxbatons entry.

Cho and Chang is also a Chinese surnames. It's also common with Asian titles to list the last name first.

Being aware of this causes me so much confusion whenever the media refers to an Asian person as I don't know enough to figure out if the flipped it or kept the Asian order.

Ilvermorny seems to be a strange name for the North American/US school.. curious to learn more about that.

Can't wait til Fantastic Beasts comes out.

Kinokou

That's really odd. Krum describes Durmstrang as a small 4 story castle. Must be really packed in there.

Maybe she forgot herself. Or I misunderstood "both Beauxbatons and Durmstrang have a larger studentship than Hogwarts" , does it rather mean that the two of them together has more students than Hogwarts?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I have it on good authority from Rowling herself that the Australian school was closed after a Care of Magical Creatures class killed everyone.

ivysaur12

Banned
Maybe she forgot herself. Or I misunderstood "both Beauxbatons and Durmstrang have a larger studentship than Hogwarts" , does it rather mean that the two of them together has more students than Hogwarts?

That seems to imply both schools have more students than Hogwarts.

sphagnum

Banned
Ilvermorny seems to be a strange name for the North American/US school.. curious to learn more about that.

Can't wait til Fantastic Beasts comes out.

Being that Ilvermorny seems to be on the US/Canada border, it would likely have a French influence, so if what I posted on the last page is true:

According to Google Translate, Île Vert Morne should mean Dull Green Island in French.

then that could be the source of the name corrupted into English. But I don't know French so I don't know if Google Translate is correct there.

Being that Ilvermorny seems to be on the US/Canada border, it would likely have a French influence, so if what I posted on the last page is true:

then that could be the source of the name corrupted into English. But I don't know French so I don't know if Google Translate is correct there.

Oh, I like this.

Though I do miss the quirky simplicity of names like 'Hogwarts'.

ok so while HP people are here

How does Wizard-Muggle marriage work? If they don't know about the wizarding world are you not breaking the statue of secrecy by marrying them? If you get divorced what then?

Thorgal

How does Wizard-Muggle marriage work? If they don't know about the wizarding world are you not breaking the statue of secrecy by marrying them? If you get divorced what then?

wipe the memory of that guy /woman away of their fiancee being a witch/ wizard .

I mean we know there are spells that can do that .

Ithil

I have it on good authority from Rowling herself that the Australian school was closed after a Care of Magical Creatures class killed everyone.

Newt Scamander recommended of Australia's fauna: "Run. Run far away, and never stop".

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

I imagine it's not too different from having a magic user come from a family of muggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom