• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Mass production to begin in August

Blimblim

The Inside Track
The assembly lines are being "warmed up" with the debug kits that are starting to be mass produced for the upcoming game shows season, hopefully starting with Game Convention in Leipzig.

newsguy

Blimblim said:
The assembly lines are being "warmed up" with the debug kits that are starting to be mass produced for the upcoming game shows season, hopefully starting with Game Convention in Leipzig.

Blim, do you have any sort of dates list for shows that the 360 will be shown at? I'm really interested in seeing how some of the games have progressed.

Dazzla

Yeah, kinda confirms the no HD-DVD drives in 360 from launch. Kind of gutted, it would've made the next gen DVD war quite tasty.

Mrbob

Nice. Gives them 3 months to get 3 million Xboxen ready for NA for Xmas. Well, I doubt we'll get that many but one can hope. I don't feel like preordering. I just want to walk into Walmart and grab one!

Straightballin said:
That pretty much says that the 360 will not ship with a HD-DVD player.
This was already confirmed at E3. There was still someone hoping that 360 would ship with HD-DVD? Maybe in xmas 2006, or even one year later ;-)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Well, 2 weeks ago, MicroSoft and Toshiba had a joint HD-DVD showing in japan and Mr. Bill himself said they would be making HD-DVD hardware together...

This, along with certain X360 executives @ MS dropping hints of HD-DVD, caused a lot of speculation of HD-DVD being included with the X360 platform somehow......

I think its safe to say that at this point a more expensive, 2nd Xbox 360 SKU is the only hope for HD-DVD on the platform and even then, it will be for movies and not games...

PS3 will support BRD-ROM games according to its specs....

Blimblim

The Inside Track
newsguy said:
Blim, do you have any sort of dates list for shows that the 360 will be shown at? I'm really interested in seeing how some of the games have progressed.
So far it looks like Game Convention will be the first one, but I'm still waiting for a confirmation from MS. I don't want to do a 1000 km car trip to see some E3 code...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Kleegamefan said:
Well, 2 weeks ago, MicroSoft and Toshiba had a joint HD-DVD showing in japan and Mr. Bill himself said they would be making HD-DVD hardware together...

This, along with certain X360 executives @ MS dropping hints of HD-DVD, caused a lot of speculation of HD-DVD being included with the X360 platform somehow......

I think its safe to say that at this point a more expensive, 2nd Xbox 360 SKU is the only hope for HD-DVD on the platform and even then, it will be for movies and not games...

PS3 will support BRD-ROM games according to its specs....

Think about future Xbox 360 models with HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray just for the purpose of playing the HD movies.

Game storage medium won't change.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
DopeyFish said:
Think about future Xbox 360 models with HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray just for the purpose of playing the HD movies.

Game storage medium won't change.

Yeah...I agree...

It is highly unlikely X360 will have HD-DVD at launch....therefore, any HD-DVD upgrade would be for movies only since people with a regular red-laser X360 wouldn't be able to play new X360 HD-DVD-ROM games if they were ever released....and I don't think they ever will be...

PS3 has a BRD ROM drive built in and the specs list the console will play both BD videos (BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE) and PLAYSTATION 3 BD games (BD-ROM)

http://www.us.playstation.com/PressReleases.aspx?id=279

IMO, X360 was not designed for next-gen optical formats (unlike PS3) and an HD-DVD/X360 combo, if it ever arrives, will be an afterthought....

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
There is no official word but consider:

X360 would need to be upgraded (405nm blue laser, HDMI digital outputs) to comply with the HD-DVD spec..

AND

The AAC encryption that will be used with HD-DVD (slightly enhanced version of AAC, apparently) would have to be finalized and tested in the next couple of weeks to be incorporated in X360 production...

All of the above happening in time for the August deadline for X360 mass production is unlikely, to say the least....

Zeo

Banned
Heh, watch Nintendo change to HD-DVD.

That'd be interesting.

(Not saying it'll happen, but it'd be interesting.)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Zeo said:

That'd be interesting.

Well, I don't think that will happen either since Nintendo *seems* to be against HD video output for Revolution at this time.....

Also, between HD-DVD, Blu-ray and DVDs, HD-DVD hardware will be the most expensive of the three (the spec requires stronger 405nm lasers to read HD-DVD pits which are further from the surface than BRD pits) so I don't know how Nintendo would react to those costs either???.....who knows :/

newsguy said:

Not Blim but:

Japan Xbox Summit 2005, July 25th

GC 2005 in Leipzig Germany from August 17-21

Tokyo Game Show, September 16th-18th

So there will be one major Xbox showing every month for the next 3 months...this is what we know about so far...

Should be exiting :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Edited to reflect correction.....

I told ya, I wasn't Blim :D

Hey Blim, I hear we will get X360 launch dates and launch price at the Japan summit on the 25th.....

What incentive have MS to do this, I wonder, with both GC 2005 and TGS 2005 happening WELL before Japanese X360 launch (December-ish??)...

If you ask me, they will wait till spacewo....er....TGS to release this information....

Mrbob

Zeo said:

That'd be interesting.

Nintendo is already going to make consumers pay for an add on to watch dvd movies. How much would they charge users for HD DVD?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kleegamefan said:
Hey Blim, I hear we will get X360 launch dates and launch price at the Japan summit on the 25th.....

What incentive have MS to do this, I wonder, with both GC 2005 and TGS 2005 happening WELL before Japanese X360 launch (December-ish??)...

If you ask me, they will wait till spacewo....er....TGS to release this information....
I don't get much informations from Japan, so I don't know the full content of the Japan summit. I know when MS will announce the launch details for Europe, but for US and Asia I have no information yet.
If MS indeed announces the launch details for Asia in 15 days, then I guess it's just to show how much they care about Japan, by putting them first for this important information.
I'll have someone at the Japan summit with a nice camcorder, so hopefully I'll have lots of videos of this event :)

Any1

I suppose, if given the option of having an hd-dvd come sandard and thereby allowing gamemakers the ability to use the extra storage for games and not just for movie playback or having a hard drive come standard and allowing gamemakers to (hopefully)take advantage of it, which there really wouldn't be any chance of if it came as just an add on.

I would choose the hard drive. I guess to me, the hard drive offers more promise of adding more to my gameplay experience than added storage does.

dorio

Banned
Any1 said:
I suppose, if given the option of having an hd-dvd come sandard and thereby allowing gamemakers the ability to use the extra storage for games and not just for movie playback or having a hard drive come standard and allowing gamemakers to (hopefully)take advantage of it, which there really wouldn't be any chance of if it came as just an add on.

I would choose the hard drive. I guess to me, the hard drive offers more promise of adding more to my gameplay experience than added storage does.
Plus if more storage was that critical they could just go multidisc.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Chittagong said:
I think I'll reserve flights to GC and TGS tomorrow. Any other events worth of attending this fall?

Are you intresed in Nintendo or arcades??

The JAMMA arcade show will be sometime in september and Spaceworld should be in the fall as well (no nintendo at TGS....again!!!!)

I think there might be a PlayStation festival sometime between TGS(september) and PS3 launch (Spring 2006) so that might be of intrest to you too....

ECTS should be happening sometime in the fall as well...

I'm sure there are others I am missing....

Nitendo never said which format their going to use I belive, but said 12cm discs which is standard disc size. (Could be something other then 12cm dont really remmber)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kleegamefan said:
I'm sure there are others I am missing....
X05 maybe ? This time it will be AFTER TGS, and that is a very good thing because publishers/devs won't decide to wait for TGS to unveil their stuff (like Starcraft Ghost 2 years ago).
Are we sure Nintendo will have a Spaceworld this year?
Sangreal: End of september/start of October. Not in a southern Europe location this time.

Lil' Dice

Banned
It feels weird having put $50 down on a console with no release date and price; especially when it's supposed to launch 4 months from now.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Lil' Dice said:
It feels weird having put $50 down on a console with no release date and price; especially when it's supposed to launch 4 months from now.

There is no power greater than X :)

Operations said:
There won't be a Spaceworld this year, Peer Schneider from IGN confirmed it.

Really?

Thats a shame....so it looks like Nintendo only shows stuff during E3 now....what about their Japanese delegates??

They no longer matter??

Wunderchu

Blimblim said:
X05 maybe ? This time it will be AFTER TGS, and that is a very good thing because publishers/devs won't decide to wait for TGS to unveil their stuff (like Starcraft Ghost 2 years ago).
I agree, having X05 after TGS is likely a good call

wow, it's looking that there will be a very nice PR ramp up to Xbox 360 launch:

Japan Xbox Summit 2005 in July
Game Convention 2005 in August
TGS in September
X05 in September/October
Xbox 360 lunch in November :D

killermmn said:
x05 will be on august!!
rumors have pointed to an X05 in August ... however, I trust Blimblim:

Blimblim said:
End of september/start of October.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Lil' Dice said:

$50, pfff, try $1900 here :lol

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Wunderchu said:
I want to visit your home :D

I'm not rich by any means :lol

Gaming/electronics = My vice. My wife lets me indulge because it keeps me home.

Not just that, she, I and our twin daughters have our own PCs. They are five, but they are much better with a PC than most adults I know. Plus they can kick ass on SSX3 on Xbox. Just passing on to the next generation.

Kleegamefan said:
There is no official word but consider:

X360 would need to be upgraded (405nm blue laser, HDMI digital outputs) to comply with the HD-DVD spec..
From MS' official Xbox 360 specs:

Storage
12x dual-layer DVD-ROM
Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD
You're talking like HD-DVD at launch could be a possibility, but since E3 it's a fact that it will only have DVD support. Maybe in one or two years the it will get an upgrade only for movies (and it could be Blu-Ray too, if it will result to come out like a winner on the market), but for the console launch it's out of discussion.

Top Bottom