• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360: design seen, name confirmed

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i should add that product design can be very very very subjective. it has to be. people use these things.

anyway, i just hope i can stack things on top of it.

That white thing next to Allard doesn't look too bad. If it's small like Dreamcast it might be kind of cool. But if it's as big as Xbox then there might be some problem with those handles...

sprsk

Prine said:
360 = centre of living room

if i could use it as an ottoman that would be really cool actually.

wireless bluetooth hook ups to the tv and stuff console seamlessly integrated with my couch.

i like this idea.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I think it'll end up looking something like this (obviously not as tall)

bose2.jpg

AniHawk

The rumor dealy said it's "sucking in its cheeks." Would that mean it's concave from both sides (to make it look like a somewhat rounded X)?

empanada

The question is... is the dvd drive going to be tray loading like the current xbox? or slot? or top loading like gamecube?

They simply went with 360 cuz xbox 360 >> PS3 > xbox 2 in numbers. :lol

sprsk

it would be cool if you pressed the circle in the middle and it slide out of the way and you could just put the disc in the center, all high tech like.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Sysgen said:
I know it's a gaming forum where the retarded roam free
Which explains why you believe that a 360 degree change from your current position doesn't mean you end up EXACTLY WHERE YOU STARTED. :)

Spencerr

Banned
They obviously won't use the 360 to say they've turned around or changed, at least they shouldn't because as it's been pointed out that just doesn't make since. It makes for an "all-inclusiveness" theme though, covering all the bases, stuff like that. Circles can be pretty powerful symbols.

Spencerr

Banned
Truelize said:
Maybe the concaved design is so it fits perfectly on top of the convexed design on the original Xbox.

It'd be amazing if they could make it so the HDD could just be Xbox for people who own it already and don't want to buy the addon.

Nevermind. Imagine making the Xbox bigger... and moving it around, no no no no no no

the part that gets me is that everybody whines about how it's going to look. Let's be honest, does it even MATTER what the system looks like, as long as the game are good who the fuck cares?

It's going to go into your enertainment racks and never leave anyway. It's the same thing as boxarts. People get all up in arms about them, without ever once mentioning the actual game contained within.

Sometimes this place astounds me....

Spencerr

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
the part that gets me is that everybody whines about how it's going to look. Let's be honest, does it even MATTER what the system looks like, as long as the game are good who the fuck cares?

It's going to go into your enertainment racks and never leave anyway. It's the same thing as boxarts. People get all up in arms about them, without ever once mentioning the actual game contained within.

I agree, don't care much about cosmetics, but it's still nice to have something that looks good.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Outcast2004 said:

Tell that to the Japanese. Huge black Xbox, pft. Get a bigger room!

If it doesn't look pretty enough... go buy some lace doilies and some pretty flowers to put around it.

There... pretty.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the PS2 is one of the ugliest and flawed system designs ever, yet 85 million+ bought it.

It's all about the games people, just keep telling that to yourselves.

EDIT:

Thing is Wario... the Xbox isn't that much bigger than the Saturn. That sold pretty damn well in Japan if I remember correctly.

360 is quite ingenious i think. xbox 2 would create a mindframe for the non harcore gamer that ps3 would be better 3>2 , it also counters revolution since 360 degrees is a revolution. pretty smart if you ask me, it doesnt matter what they call it for us because we are gonna buy it regardless

jett

D-Member
Ryck said:
That Nexus pic is fake.........right?

I can't believe you missed the huge NEXUS NINTENDO press conference/announcement thread...

Anyway, sounds like the X360 is going to look better than the original, at the very least.

nitewulf

hope the top is flat. im thinking it'll look something like the middle lens of what smurf posted. front of the console would be concave, the part where you might slide game disks in, or it'll have a tray. top/bottom will be flat. back will be flat. sides will be flat.

Firest0rm

truffleshuffle83 said:
360 is quite ingenious i think. xbox 2 would create a mindframe for the non harcore gamer that ps3 would be better 3>2 , it also counters revolution since 360 degrees is a revolution. pretty smart if you ask me, it doesnt matter what they call it for us because we are gonna buy it regardless

Revolution is just a code name though. Nintendo can come out and use that N5 or soemthing like that.

Ryck

jett said:
I can't believe you missed the huge NEXUS NINTENDO press conference/announcement thread...

Anyway, sounds like the X360 is going to look better than the original, at the very least.
Damn !!! I had a tooth taken out and missed two days of work!!! I completely missed it...*goes to do search*

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the PS2 is one of the ugliest and flawed system designs ever, yet 85 million+ bought it.
You are not bursting any kind of bubble. PS2's monolithic design is in fact very good, and it was very impressive back then when it was unveiled. I know that a lot people I know were quite impressed and surprised it'a game console when they first saw it. It also won a lot of appraisal among insdustrial designers back then.

Hell, it looks pretty damn good even by today's standards:

pearl_white.jpg

Marconelly said:
You are not bursting any kind of bubble. PS2's monolithic design is in fact very good, and it was very impressive back then when it was unveiled. I know that a lot people I know were quite impressed and surprised it'a game console when they first saw it. It also won a lot of appraisal among insdustrial designers back then.

Hell, it looks pretty damn good even by today's standards:

pearl_white.jpg

Sorry, still not a fan. a box is a box is a box. It looks juts like any other piece of AV equipment, nothing outstanding. But once again... it's about the games.

Too bad a large portion of the time standing the PS2 up like a monolith will just end up scratching your games anyway.

Design wise, there's just not alot of form. Just a plain black box, sometimes simplicity is great, in some it's lacking. This is one of those cases.(no pun intended)

Koshiro

I'm struggling to picture a concave console looking good, it will be interesting to see how it works out, but usually the weirdest ideas are the most interesting/ the best.

Borys said:
Just like Sony did.

PS1 = WHITE
PS2 = BLACK

or SEGA

Saturn = BLACK
Dreamcast = WHITE

It was obvious 360 will be white.

playstation.jpg

White as my dirty socks...

And I don't know, 360 sounds still dirty to me. Anyone remember this?

3600ps001.jpg

3600ps002.jpg

3600ps003.jpg

Sysgen

bishoptl said:
Which explains why you believe that a 360 degree change from your current position doesn't mean you end up EXACTLY WHERE YOU STARTED. :)

What's the diffculty?

Nov 2001 - Year 1/4
Nov 2002 - Year 2/4
Nov 2003 - Year 3/4
Nov 2004 - Year 4/4

4 quarters a 360 makes.

Nov 2005 - Now it's white. So we've traveled 360 degrees and the new console isn't black anymore. Who doesn't get this besides you?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
:lol Sysgen, put down whatever is that you're smoking.

Too bad a large portion of the time standing the PS2 up like a monolith will just end up scratching your games anyway.
Urm... What the.. that's just not true. I keep mine like that for years now and it never scratched anything.

Ristamar

Sysgen said:
What's the diffculty?

Nov 2001 - Year 1/4
Nov 2002 - Year 2/4
Nov 2003 - Year 3/4
Nov 2004 - Year 4/4

4 quarters a 360 makes.

Nov 2005 - Now it's white. So we've traveled 360 degrees and the new console isn't black anymore. Who doesn't get this besides you?

AoE_Villagers.gif

"Rogan?"

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I can't believe some people on this board think 360 degrees is the opposite of where you're at :| ....

I don't mind the name, I'll call it Xbox 2 anyways. and I'm having a little trouble with that explanation of the console shape. So it can stand up right, it's dented in the middle...and it's shaped like a conclave?

lexi

Banned
Sysgen said:
What's the diffculty?

Nov 2001 - Year 1/4
Nov 2002 - Year 2/4
Nov 2003 - Year 3/4
Nov 2004 - Year 4/4

4 quarters a 360 makes.

:lol

And it is being designed, built and produced from space!

Sysgen

Iamthegamer said:
I can't believe some people on this board think 360 degrees is the opposite of where you're at :| ....

I don't mind the name, I'll call it Xbox 2 anyways. and I'm having a little trouble with that explanation of the console shape. So it can stand up right, it's dented in the middle...and it's shaped like a conclave?

Casual: Hi, I just bought a new Xbox. You know the 360 bit kind and uh.. uh. it has a dent in the middle.
Xbox Rep: No , that's the design.
Casual: Listen, MS pulled this shit with my Thompson drive and I want you to send me a new one.

Top Bottom