• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass General Discussion

I don't get it.

Game pass is not ubiquitous as a platform yet to command its own OT.

It's a great service and as consumers/advocates/disagreeable parties to it, I think its fine for members of the community here to want to have their threads/voices heard for everyone else to judge/discuss.

I don't know what makes for good forum management - but I'd suppose user engagement is a metric that makes sense? Isn't having more threads on a subject a sign of that? Ssd/gamepass whatever it might be? And as is the nature on most boards, if a topic elicits no engagement - it will fall away into the back pages of the board and die. Why not let that happen?

Is there a technical reason why we need a single thread? Is site performance being affected?

Right now this looks like a poor attempt at policing narrative.

Neogaf has had a history of being direct/fearless/outspoken and brash to a degree. It seems like it's suddenly trying to be 'sensitive' to some weird thread pollution by topics clearly driving engagement? What's going on?

Edit: DGrayson DGrayson i also disagree that we shouldn't talk about games distribution and focus on games in 'new' threads. Gaming is our hobby and it's gotten expensive. Distribution is a key part of how we partake. Why be dismissive of it?

Last edited:

n0body

Banned
I don't get it.

Game pass is not ubiquitous as a platform yet to command its own OT.

It's a great service and as consumers/advocates/disagreeable parties to it, I think its fine for members of the community here to want to have their threads/voices heard for everyone else to judge/discuss.

I don't know what makes for good forum management - but I'd suppose user engagement is a metric that makes sense? Isn't having more threads on a subject a sign of that? Ssd/gamepass whatever it might be? And as is the nature on most boards, if a topic elicits no engagement - it will fall away into the back pages of the board and die. Why not let that happen?

Is there a technical reason why we need a single thread? Is site performance being affected?

Right now this looks like a poor attempt at policing narrative.

Neogaf has had a history of being direct/fearless/outspoken and brash to a degree. It seems like it's suddenly trying to be 'sensitive' to some weird thread pollution by topics clearly driving engagement? What's going on?

Edit: DGrayson DGrayson i also disagree that we shouldn't talk about games distribution and focus on games in 'new' threads. Gaming is our hobby and it's gotten expensive. Distribution is a key part of how we partake. Why be dismissive of it?
It's not good forum management, and the fact that it is being used to help suppress a narrative that the community are engaging with, is wholly transparent.

Anything other than a standard approach creates two tier moderation and enforcement, which only drives discontent as you see here. Theres multiple 'Sony Game Pass' threads on the first page at the minute that could be in a single thread of discussion, but it won't be as it doesn't drive the real motivation for the change in the first place.

But apparently I've no right to say this, as I've only been here a month.

turtlepowa

Banned
This is so fucking awesome. We got like 5 million threads about:

-TLOU2
- PS5 SSD
- Look ma, my PS (games) sold xy
-Jim is the devil

And now that we have Game Pass threads some crybabies can't stand it and Game Pass gets cramped together in one stupid thread where nobody can find the news.

sainraja

This is so fucking awesome. We got like 5 million threads about:

-TLOU2
- PS5 SSD
- Look ma, my PS (games) sold xy
-Jim is the devil

And now that we have Game Pass threads some crybabies can't stand it and Game Pass gets cramped together in one stupid thread where nobody can find the news.
lol It's becoming hard to tell who is crying louder! You all will be fine. Why does the main forum need to be about game pass when you can have an official thread for it?

turtlepowa

Banned
lol It's becoming hard to tell who is crying louder! You all will be fine. Why does the main forum need to be about game pass when you can have an official thread for it?
I would have no problem with it if the other spam stuff like the sales number threads would be combined to one thread too.

sainraja

It's not good forum management, and the fact that it is being used to help suppress a narrative that the community are engaging with, is wholly transparent.

Anything other than a standard approach creates two tier moderation and enforcement, which only drives discontent as you see here. Theres multiple 'Sony Game Pass' threads on the first page at the minute that could be in a single thread of discussion, but it won't be as it doesn't drive the real motivation for the change in the first place.

But apparently I've no right to say this, as I've only been here a month.
There is only one single thread on a potential Sony Game Pass service. But what does that have to do with giving Game Pass it's own official thread?
I really don't see why everyone is getting so up in arms over this! lol

Having a single place to look for news, updates, etc for Game Pass should be the better option. If you are worried it will get lost, then perhaps volunteer to be the one to take charge of the official thread.

uplihFZ.png

Last edited:

Three

Well with the rumour that Sony are doing their own version of Gamepass, the hate for Gamepass on here will quickly die down.
Still its probably best to keep everything in one official thread.
Define own version of gamepass. They have PSNow but they don't release day one on it and they won't if they continue to make big blockbuster single player games.

n0body

Banned
Why does the main forum need to be about Sony game pass, when you can have an official thread for it?

P.s. this is the weakest OT I've ever seen. Do better OP

sainraja

Why does the main forum need to be about Sony game pass, when you can have an official thread for it?

Lol it doesn't need to be about Sony game pass. You should make an official thread for Sony game pass when it becomes popular. Deal?

The fact that Microsoft have had a string of positive news at a time where Sony fans are starved for announcements, must REALLY hurt. It's the only thing that explains the backlash.
That's the only reasonable explanation there can be. I wish you could all hear yourselves here!

How old is everyone here?

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Take a loof a Netflix, how is going for them? Prices have been increasing for a decade and their catalogue has shrunk. Their original productions are soulless boring series or movies but that's what you get and because it's a subscription, you can't vote with your wallet.

I don't care how it's going for them, all I care is how it's going for me - for the same price as a regular television I'm getting a variety of content, which I can watch anytime I want, unlike TV where all the good movies start at 10-11PM a.k.a. when you already have to go to bed because you have to go to work the next day. I can watch the content on any device I want, on the go even. I don't have to wait a whole week for a new episode, instead I can watch as many as I want from the series, when I want. And on top of everything there are no garbage ads, which for whatever retarded reason are twice as loud as the shows themselves. So please tell me, where is the part I should consider Netflix as a bad offer? And Netflix isn't the only service I use, I have few of them for the exact same mentioned reasons, needless to say I haven't watch regular TV at my own house for over 2 years now, there's simply no value in it anymore, the only time I'm in touch with regular TV is at someone else's place, parents house etc. which still, I'm noticing more and more people starting to prefer Netflix etc. because TV content has become such a garbage, with the same 20-30yo movies repeated over and over again and dumb as fuck reality shows/paradocumentaries/talent shows. And ads, lots of ads. And because of that the trend will only keep getting stronger and stronger each year.

And relating all that to GP, it's basically the same deal - why would I prefer to pay 70€ for a single title when I can pay only 15 for it, and get all the other games released within the same month for those same 15€ (plus all the already existing library of course), instead of paying another 70/140/etc.? And then pay additionally whenever I want to go online... And just as with Netflix, I'm not limited to just a single platform, whether previous-gen, current- gen, PC, or any upcoming gen in the future, whereas on a contrary there's this recent thread about switching from PS4 to PS5 about some serious issues that should never exist, even if you actually own a physical copy of the game... Now why would I prefer something like this instead of just going into the store and downloading the game, with all the game saves working as intended? And subscribing to GP doesn't mean you can't buy games from other digital/physical stores anymore, just like you're not banned from cinemas after subscribing to Netflix, if a game you want isn't on GP or you really want to own it you can always just buy it for the full price. Now don't get me wrong, GP is not a replacement for traditional gaming (at least not for now and years to come), but a supplement, it doesn't hurt you in any way, instead it just saves you a ton of money and is super convenient.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I honestly don't understand this logic. How does confining a games subscription service to one thread change anything? Bf6 is coming to Xbox and playstaion. Regardless of GP anyone who ones either console can get it. Cool.

There have been 2 threads created with Game Pass in the title AFTER this stupid thread was made, but since it's discussing a possible Sony service that seems to be perfectly OK.

I think that and the fact that Sony fans seem to be in favor of quarantining Xbox Game Pass threads and all the Xbox fans are clearly not happy and are against it, pretty clearly demonstrates exactly who this thread is catering to and why it was made.

The question of why a big 3rd party game like MLB or if Battlefield does actually come to Game Pass Day 1 has already been answered by several posters here. But here's my take; coming day 1 and included at no extra charge on a single platform as opposed to $70 everywhere else IS a big deal and deserves it's own thread when it happens. Additionally if we can have coming to PS+ and PSNow threads we should also be allowed to have coming to Game Pass threads.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
There have been 2 threads created with Game Pass in the title AFTER this stupid thread was made, but since it's discussing a possible Sony service that seems to be perfectly OK.

I think that and the fact that Sony fans seem to be in favor of quarantining Xbox Game Pass threads and all the Xbox fans are clearly not happy and are against it, pretty clearly demonstrates exactly who this thread is catering to and why it was made.

The question of why a big 3rd party game like MLB or if Battlefield does actually come to Game Pass Day 1 has already been answered by several posters here. But here's my take; coming day 1 and included at no extra charge on a single platform as opposed to $70 everywhere else IS a big deal and deserves it's own thread when it happens. Additionally if we can have coming to PS+ and PSNow threads we should also be allowed to have coming to Game Pass threads.

I made this thread an hour or 2 ago.

Since then ive been spending my friday night replying to this thread. Havnet had a chance to look even at teh forum. Im about to go to bed.

Do you konw mods schedule?

I would be careful with what you say. If you think threads are breaking rules, then report them, that would help us.

Thanks

sainraja

I don't care how it's going for them, all I care is how it's going for me - for the same price as a regular television I'm getting a variety of content, which I can watch anytime I want, unlike TV where all the good movies start at 10-11PM a.k.a. when you already have to go to bed because you have to go to work the next day. I can watch the content on any device I want, on the go even. I don't have to wait a whole week for a new episode, instead I can watch as many as I want from the series, when I want. And on top of everything there are no garbage ads, which for whatever retarded reason are twice as loud as the shows themselves. So please tell me, where is the part I should consider Netflix as a bad offer? And Netflix isn't the only service I use, I have few of them for the exact same mentioned reasons, needless to say I haven't watch regular TV at my own house for over 2 years now, there's simply no value in it anymore, the only time I'm in touch with regular TV is at someone else's place, parents house etc. which still, I'm noticing more and more people starting to prefer Netflix etc. because TV content has become such a garbage, with the same 20-30yo movies repeated over and over again and dumb as fuck reality shows/paradocumentaries/talent shows. And ads, lots of ads. And because of that the trend will only keep getting stronger and stronger each year.
And relating all that to GP, it's basically the same deal - why would I prefer to pay 70€ for a single title when I can pay only 15 for it, and get all the other games released within the same month for those same 15€ (plus all the already existing library of course), instead of paying another 70/140/etc.? And then pay additionally whenever I want to go online... And just as with Netflix, I'm not limited to just a single platform, whether previous-gen, current- gen, PC, or any upcoming gen in the future, whereas on a contrary there's this recent thread about switching from PS4 to PS5 about some serious issues that should never exist, even if you actually own a physical copy of the game... Now why would I prefer something like this instead of just going into the store and downloading the game, with all the game saves working as intended? And subscribing to GP doesn't mean you can't buy games from other digital/physical stores anymore, just like you're not banned from cinemas after subscribing to Netflix, if a game you want isn't on GP or you really want to own it you can always just buy it for the full price. Now don't get me wrong, GP is not a replacement for traditional gaming (at least not for now and years to come), but a supplement, it doesn't hurt you in any way, instead it just saves you a ton of money and is super convenient.
The convenience factor is big, no denying that. Right now Game Pass is a very good option. It's hard to argue. But some people just don't like being locked to an ongoing subscription.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Define own version of gamepass. They have PSNow but they don't release day one on it and they won't if they continue to make big blockbuster single player games.
There is a newDavid Jaffe rumour about Sony doing a Gamepass competitor, its on the first page.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$1 top up for 3 years of GPU. Thanks MS!

When it expires in 18 months, I'll do the 3 year top up again by paying for 1 month of GPU ($18 cdn). That's the current GP top up process in place by MS for expired sub plans. Hoping it sticks when it comes to my turn to renew.

n0body

Banned

Since then ive been spending my friday night replying to this thread. Havnet had a chance to look even at teh forum. Im about to go to bed.

I would be careful with what you say. If you think threads are breaking rules, then report them, that would help us.

Thanks
Bar this reply, your last post replying in the thread was 1hr30 mins ago, was it not? Slightly disingenuous to suggest you've spent the night listening and replying to concerns in this thread.

Also slightly concerning you would then go on to threaten someone to be careful. Someone doesn't need to know your rota to make a fair assumption that on a busy Friday night, during a pandemic no less, that the forum would be adequately moderated.

Happy to lend a hand and report any multiple Sony game pass or PSNow threads I see though 👍

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I haven't owned an xbox since I retired my 360 back in 2014. I love my ps4. With that said, Microsoft made a power move here. With game prices going up this has even more value. This may convince me to switch back to the box. Game prices are getting worse. It's not just $70 for the game. They charge for every little extra thing.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
$1 top up for 3 years of GPU. Thanks MS!

When it expires in 18 months, I'll do the 3 year top up again by paying for 1 month of GPU ($18 cdn). That's the current GP top up process in place by MS for expired sub plans. Hoping it sticks when it comes to my turn to renew.
Can you explain this to me in lay man's terms?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Bar this reply, your last post replying in the thread was 1hr30 mins ago, was it not? Slightly disingenuous to suggest you've spent the night listening and replying to concerns in this thread.

Also slightly concerning you would then go on to threaten someone to be careful. Someone doesn't need to know your rota to make a fair assumption that on a busy Friday night, during a pandemic no less, that the forum would be adequately moderated.

Happy to lend a hand and report any multiple Sony game pass or PSNow threads I see though 👍

LOL ok bro. Forget the exact time stamps.

We decided to consolidate gamepass discussion . If you think threasd are breaking teh rules, report them

Three

There is a new jeff grub rumour about Sony doing a Gamepass competitor, its on the first page.
You mean Jaffe yeah PSNow is their competitor. It allows downloads of games too. Its only difference is that games from Sony are not there day one. All they would do is offer their games on it day one with a microtransaction business model, and GaaS games and you essentially have 'Gamepass'. What would be the difference? They may even rename the thing.

Fredrik

Na. Let's discuss games. If a new game is coming out we have a thread for thst game in the thread wd motion it's coming to pc on steam, epic, gog, consoles on ps5, Xbox and day 1 on gamepass. Then we proceed to talk about the actual game and everyone knows what consoles and platforms it's coming out on.

If it's a HUGE deal that this game is on gamepass and you want to discuss that exact point, you discuss it in this thread.

Everyone wins.
I mean I absolutely understand the idea of it, no more annoying weekly hype/concern Gamepass threads, easy to ignore too if you’re no fan. But I imagine that it’ll feel like we’re silenced and has to watch our tongue outside in the open now. That’s no fun. And as a PC gamer you’re affected too, possibly worse since you now have to wade through multiple pages of uninteresting console drivel to find the things you actually want to talk about.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Can you explain this to me in lay man's terms?
MS allows you to top up Gold memberships to GPU. Make note this goes for console GP. I have no idea if it's similar if someone just wants to do PC GP.

If you are brand new to GP (never done it before), MS lets you pay $1 total ($1 + tax) and it converts your existing Gold member to GPU. They have let you do this snce summer 2019. It cannot exceed 36 months. So gamers were topping up their Gold plans as close as possible but not go over 36 months. Activate your Gold membership to get as close to 36 months. Then do the $1 GPU upgrade. Voila! You now have 36 months of GPU (or whatever your Gold length is). If you only had 8 months left on your Gold and and did the $1 upgrade, then you only get 8 months of GPU. 1:1 ratio

If you already have GPU and it expired lately, you are considered an existing customer (not new). So you can extend your Gold as far as possible again to get to 36 months best you can. The top up is changed to one month of GPU price which is $15 US ($18 cdn). Similar to above, buy some more Gold to get close to 36 months and renew GPU and you'll get billed one month, but get all Gold converted to GPU.

MS has been aggressive with this deal since summer 2019. At first people thought it was a glitch, but it's been there the whole time for almost two years. They just dont go around telling the world to top up Gold and do $1. Core fans who read the details know it. But the avg gamer is probably buying GPU for regular price.

I did the deal in I think Aug or Sept 2019. My GPU expires in summer 2022.

Last edited:

I asked you a legit question and all you can do is muster an emoji yet continue to eat salt. You’ve been here 2 weeks and have 60 posts. Most of them seem to be crying in this thread.

So how do you know it’s allegedly Sony gaf?

Last edited:

n0body

Banned
I asked you a legit question and all you can do is muster an emoji yet continue to eat salt. You’ve been here 2 weeks and have 60 posts. Most of them seem to be crying in this thread.

So how do you know it’s allegedly Sony gaf?
Apologies, I genuinely thought you were kidding.

Isn't it blatantly obvious?

Also, does being here around a month delegitimise my opinion to you? Is it lesser as a result? Genuinely curious.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Cool, please report thread which are breaking the rules. Thank you.

Hosam6xavi

Banned

Thanks
So this thread should be locked

All gamepass discussion should be here right ?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Thanks

better get in line or get the hammer

Apologies, I genuinely thought you were kidding.

Isn't it blatantly obvious?

Also, does being here around a month delegitimise my opinion to you? Is it lesser as a result? Genuinely curious.

I don’t buy the lurking bollocks. Especially if you’ve made an account to war straightaway or specially bitch about the rules of game pass thread consolidation and whataboutism about Sony.

No time served doesn’t make an opinion more or less valid. No it’s just suspicious as fuck, especially with what happened in 2013.

Last edited:
Thread is effectively Sony fans sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting lalala not listening. If you don’t have to see the good things, they aren’t actually happening, right?

Intravenous copium.

Imagine what it will be like if Microsoft’s acquisitions start to pay off... Gonna be a mass suicide.

n0body

Banned
I don’t buy the lurking bollocks. Especially if you’ve made an account to war straightaway or specially bitch about the rules of game pass thread consolidation and whataboutism about Sony.

I made an account to be part of the community discussion, but I've found myself here, in a single thread as a result of a poor moderation decision. I'd much rather be off discussing games and everything else but here we are, calling out a thread specifically created to surpress narrative, that the majority would accept if moderation was fair across subjects, but it currently isn't and the last 5 pages tell you that.

Sad attempt to delegitimise people that genuinely want to be part of a fair community. Cheers for the welcome.
Make an effort to join the community then. Instead of diving straight to the first thread to war. The mod isn’t suppressing you grow up.

This place had daily yes daily ‘game pass this’ game pass that’ and most of them had nothing to do with new game announcements.

Guess what we don’t need a new thread everytime someone has an epiphany about game pass: it’s the equivalent of ‘gaf I just got laid’.

So the next time someone wants to tell gaf how much they’ve loving game pass, it can go In here.

It’s a running joke Xbox fans have a persecution complex and this thread has delivered in bucket loads.

Top Bottom