• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass General Discussion

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Away! That thread is a toxic barrel of shite, full of the worst of the Sony crowd just itching and ready to gang up and pounce on the unsuspecting. 😂

0845b15d651f9628015520087c660e49.gif

DaGwaphics

Gamepass IS the ecosystem. Or will be eventually. For real, I don’t think Microsoft care where you play the games on their subscription service, they’re just after your subscription money.

Edit: Just noticed the Valve/Steam thread, sounds like this could be a go. Interesting.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
Gamepass is a disaster for gamers.

They are fooling you with low prices but when it will take over everything there will be no going back and you will stuck paying a lot of money for a shitty service.

Remember when playing games online was FREE on consoles?

Remember when to justify paying for the online Sony was giving away lots of recent AAA games?

Now paying for online (which is not about dedicated servers) it's standard and if you want "great" games for free you have to pay another subscription service.

Take a loof a Netflix, how is going for them? Prices have been increasing for a decade and their catalogue has shrunk. Their original productions are soulless boring series or movies but that's what you get and because it's a subscription, you can't vote with your wallet.
nailed it.

Fredrik

Now that we have this thread figured out

Game Pass has 100% changed my gaming and spending habits to a point where I never expected it to be. I still end up buying games that I absolutely want to play Day 1 (unless they're Xbox 1st party or otherwise debut on Game Pass obviously), but games that I view as "mid-tier" in my excitement, or games that I can wait, I'll no longer buy them on sale unless it's been a long time without appearing on Game Pass.

Like the fact I got to play games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Rage 2 (prior to Bethesda acquisition), Metro Exodus, Life is Strange Season 2, Undertale, Devil May Cry 5, Guacamelee 2, Dead Rising 4, Planet Coaster, Outriders (day 1), as well as games that were on Game Pass by the time I played them like Nier: Automata, Darksiders 3 Just Cause 4, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Vampyr, Code Vein. That's beyond insane to me, like that's not even including any of the Xbox 1st party games.

It's also been great for indies that I never would've tried (like Untitled Goose Game or My Friend Pedro for instance), or games I could play with my friends who also have Game Pass (Human Fall Flat and Golf with Friends among others).

It still feels feels kind of surreal that the next Elder Scrolls or Halo, or Avowed, or Fable, or any game from every one of their 23 1st party studios (or any future studios they may acquire), I can play for no additional cost. I initially did the 3 year for $1 trick because why not, but at this point even if Game Pass Ultimate increased to $20/month I'd subscribe without a 2nd thought, at least for me (somebody who plays a lot of different games) Game Pass is ridiculous value
Yeah it’s definitely nuts, that’s where the talk about how it’s not sustainable come from too.

My summary:
I’ve had the Xbox Series X since launch.
It’s my main console.
I’ve bought 1 game. That game is also on Gamepass, now.

It saves me money. That’s why I like it. I can easily see that I spend more money on the other consoles even though I play the most on Xbox.

It doesn’t have everything though, I still want Ubisoft there too for example, but it has reached the point where it has enough that I always have something to play.

And I actually give 7 and 6/10 games a try too now, something I would never do if I had to buy the games.

And it’s nice to not feel like I have to play something I don’t like, since there is no investment made I can literally install a game and try it for 15 minutes and just drop it and uninstall it without feeling bad about it. Normally that comes with some serious buyer’s remorse.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No one said you can't put that a game is on gamepass in a thread title but thanks for making up rules for us.

If a title says

Game x released on 3/5/22 on steam, epic, ps5, Xbox amd gamepass

Totally OK.

If your POINT is to discuss the game coming to gamepass. That goes here

Roger that, as long as it's not like it's banned from all other threads and it's just to reduce duplication. On a side note, any chance you can take off the report me for SonyGAF under my name? I think a year is probably long enough.......

Kagey K

Banned
nailed it.
How so? If it loses its value proposition you can unsub at any time and go back to buying and playing games the old way.

There is no contract or anything forcing you into keeping it long term.
Yeah it’s definitely nuts, that’s where the talk about how it’s not sustainable come from too.

My summary:
I’ve had the Xbox Series X since launch.
It’s my main console.
I’ve bought 1 game. That game is also on Gamepass, now.

It saves me money. That’s why I like it. I can easily see that I spend more money on the other consoles even though I play the most on Xbox.

It doesn’t have everything though, I still want Ubisoft there too for example, but it has reached the point where it has enough that I always have something to play.

And I actually give 7 and 6/10 games a try too now, something I would never do if I had to buy the games.

And it’s nice to not feel like I have to play something I don’t like, since there is no investment made I can literally install a game and try it for 15 minutes and just drop it and uninstall it without feeling bad about it. Normally that comes with some serious buyer’s remorse.
I find I spend less money now, but I still spend. For instance I would have probably bought the Medium day 1 but because I didn't have to, I shifted that money over to Hitman 3 instead.

I wouldn't have bought Hitman until a deep sale had I bought Medium.

Fredrik

How so? If it loses its value proposition you can unsub at any time and go back to buying and playing games the old way.

There is no contract or anything forcing you into keeping it long term.

I find I spend less money now, but I still spend. For instance I would have probably bought the Medium day 1 but because I didn't have to, I shifted that money over to Hitman 3 instead.

I wouldn't have bought Hitman until a deep sale had I bought Medium.
I’m such a cheap ass, I just save the money and play something else on Gamepass while waiting for a sale or Gamepass addition.
I’ve had Oculus Quest 2 for two days and have already spent more money on games than 5 months of XSX. 😅

So if a major new game that people weren't expecting were to be dropped into Game Pass a new thread on it isn't allowed? If a major new announcement related to Game Pass, like perhaps a big partnership with another publisher or EA Play like service is announced, no new thread, just bring it all here???

disgusted bruce willis GIF

Kagey K

Banned
So if a major new game that people weren't expecting were to be dropped into Game Pass a new thread on it isn't allowed? If a major new announcement related to Game Pass, like perhaps a big partnership with another publisher or EA Play like service is announced, no new thread, just bring it all here???

It is allowed Evilore cleared it up on the last page.

Regular game additions plus announcements of games or features can still have their own thread.

Fredrik

I thought the OP had been updated. EviLore stepped in and said:

new Gamepass game news, new thread
new monthly Gamepass releases, new thread

What changes is the weekly love/hate/concern threads, from both Sony and MS fans, that talk will go here now.

New thread.

Awesome! Was worried there for a bit lol.

It is allowed Evilore cleared it up on the last page.

Regular game additions plus announcements of games or features can still have their own thread.

Yea, I see it now!

I thought the OP had been updated. EviLore stepped in and said:

new Gamepass game news, new thread
new monthly Gamepass releases, new thread

What changes is the weekly love/hate/concern threads, from both Sony and MS fans, that talk will go here now.

praise him steve harvey GIF

Kagey K

Banned
So much drama could have been avoided today had it been communicated clearly from the start.

DGrayson DGrayson took a ton of shit he didn't have to.

I want to apologize for getting a bit snarky with him earlier, but the way he said it was going was beyond over correction.

Last edited:
Seems like a fine idea to have an official Game Pass thread to encourage posts about it to go here but I'm not sure how restricting threads on specific topics about Game Pass to this thread would work out.

Like https://www.neogaf.com/threads/game...s-a-bad-look-for-sony-forbes-article.1599371/
This thread got 6 pages of discussion but if it was just posted here I can't imagine more than a few posts discussing specifically about their article. Maybe, maybe not, I don't know.
It’s nothing but fud. Are we going to have the same thing for every 3rd party game that’s on game pass? Otherwise every 3rd party game MS money hats to be on game pass will apparently be a bad look for Sony. These games are not choosing to be on GP out of the kindness of heart, especially 3rd party games launching on it. It’s a huge sum of money to the platform that would have sold the least on anyway.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
We should lose this thread now. Glad the rules have been changed. The best thing about Neogaf is New Story, New Thread.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s nothing but fud. Are we going to have the same thing for every 3rd party game that’s on game pass? Otherwise every 3rd party game MS money hats to be on game pass will apparently be a bad look for Sony. These games are not choosing to be on GP out of the kindness of heart, especially 3rd party games launching on it. It’s a huge sum of money to the platform that would have sold the least on anyway.
Never knew MS forced devs to launch on GP.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Glad to see some flexibility based on the feedback received (y)

I love Game Pass!

It got me back in to Xbox gaming, and turned Xbox back in to my main ecosystem.

This current period reminds me of PS Plus on the PS3; banger after banger. Will it subside at some point? Probably. MS will want to cut down on third party AAA games and rely on their own studios + indies. Just enjoy it in the moment though.

One thing I do hope is that they roll Gold in to the basic £7.99 subscription. On PC players get GP and EA Play for £7.99 a month, with the obviously free online. £7.99 for Gold and GP would be a banging deal and Ultimate would still have the perks of giving console players PC Game Pass, EA Play and XCloud.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Glad to see some flexibility based on the feedback received (y)

I love Game Pass!

It got me back in to Xbox gaming, and turned Xbox back in to my main ecosystem.

This current period reminds me of PS Plus on the PS3; banger after banger. Will it subside at some point? Probably. MS will want to cut down on third party AAA games and rely on their own studios + indies. Just enjoy it in the moment though.

One thing I do hope is that they roll Gold in to the basic £7.99 subscription. On PC players get GP and EA Play for £7.99 a month, with the obviously free online. £7.99 for Gold and GP would be a banging deal and Ultimate would still have the perks of giving console players PC Game Pass, EA Play and XCloud.

Even if the third party games subside after a year or so, the sheer volume of xbox studios games should fill in gap. Also feel like they are going to sign another company like ubisoft or something........or maybe buy another studio......

Last edited:

To be fair, MLB The Show 21 is a bad look for Sony. No other way to cut it.

Fredrik

Great look for GP gamers. Cant wait to play with my $1 GP sub. And if it stinks, I lost nothing as I paid the $1 fee last summer.
How do you get a $1 subscription?

I had to buy prepaid Xbox Live Gold cards, about $50 each, stack 3 of them, so $150 total, then pay $1 to convert XBL Gold to XGP Ultimate.

Still cheap though, means I’ve payed roughly $5/month.

I only have one year left now. Would gladly learn if there are cheaper deals around now. Only one I know of is doing the XBLG to XGPU conversion for monthly trials on new accounts since the main account can’t be used again. Which is too much work imo.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

I had to buy prepaid Xbox Live Gold cards, about $50 each, stack 3 of them, so $150 total, then pay $1 to convert XBL Gold to XGP Ultimate.

I only have one year left now. Would gladly learn if there are cheaper deals around now. Only one I know of is doing the XBLG to XGPU conversion for monthly trials on new accounts since the main account can’t be used again. Which is too much work imo.
12 months of EA Play (£16ish in the UK) converts to 4 months of Game Pass Ultimate for existing members. Works out at £4 a month, and can be stacked.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

You're good. I did the same. I consider it $1 for me, since I buy Gold every year.

Fredrik

You're good. I did the same. I consider it $1 for me, since I buy Gold every year.
Ah okay. I refused Gold since day one so for me it was a bigger sum, but still cheap though. The standard $15/month feels too expensive though imo.

12 months of EA Play (£16ish in the UK) converts to 4 months of Game Pass Ultimate for existing members. Works out at £4 a month, and can be stacked.
Interesting! Can you add months with an existing Gamepass Ultimate sub or do you have to wait til the sub ends before doing this?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ah okay. I refused Gold since day one so for me it was a bigger sum, but still cheap though. The standard $15/month feels too expensive though imo.

Interesting! Can you add months with an existing Gamepass Ultimate sub or do you have to wait til the sub ends before doing this?
No you can top up your existing sub but only to a max of 36 months/3 years.

So for example right now I think I have 2 years 6 months left to run on my Ultimate sub, if I redeemed the EA Play code it would bump by Ultimate sub up to 2 years and 10 months.

Fredrik

No you can top up your existing sub but only to a max of 36 months/3 years.

So for example right now I think I have 2 years 6 months left to run on my Ultimate sub, if I redeemed the EA Play code it would bump by Ultimate sub up to 2 years and 10 months.
And for me with only about a year left I could buy several EA Play codes until it’s at 3 years again?

Banjo64

cumsessed
And for me with only about a year left I could buy several EA Play codes until it’s at 3 years again?
Yeah. I’ve just checked though and the price at Shopto has gone up to £17.85 (it’ll probably drop again at some point). Still, makes it £53.55 for 12 months of Game Pass Ultimate.

Three

What string of positive news?
Just bad Sony PR stuff mostly, nothing tangible on their side. I guess they are just happy about the subscription and the possibility of not having to pay for games that were coming to the platform anyway. They bought Bethesda back in what September. Then MLB came to gamepass and I suspect that they are more happy about the 'damage' to Sony PR than actually getting something new. They are riding those highs. Meanwhile on actual new games to play from MS...

It's all just PR really not news of new games to play. MS overtaking the industry and Sony is doomed bullshit of every gen.

geary

This forum is missing a more robust strucure of sections and subsections. Is anarchy here... Everyone post whenever and wherever they want.
And all is hideen under the "freedom of posting what you want". Moderation is completly missing here....is Wild West here.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeah. I’ve just checked though and the price at Shopto has gone up to £17.85 (it’ll probably drop again at some point). Still, makes it £53.55 for 12 months of Game Pass Ultimate.
That’s still awesome, about the same as I’m paying right now!

So what exactly should I buy?
I’m looking at a website with EA Play for Xbox One 12 months codes. Is that it?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
That still awesome, about the same as I’m paying right now!

So what exactly should I buy?
I’m looking at a website with EA Play for Xbox One 12 months codes. Is that it?
Yeah, should either be called EA Play or if it’s old stock EA Access. They are one and the same though.
Just bad Sony PR stuff mostly, nothing tangible on their side. I guess they are just happy about the subscription and the possibility of not having to pay for games that were coming to the platform anyway. They bought Bethesda back in what September. Then MLB came to gamepass and I suspect that they are more happy about the 'damage' to Sony PR than actually getting something new. They are riding those highs. Meanwhile on actual new games to play from MS...

It's all just PR really not news of new games to play. MS overtaking the industry and Sony is doomed bullshit of every gen.
Seriously even though we are cutting down the number of threads do you really have to come in to one of the few that’s allowed and spew your pathetic console warring bullshit? Just go away and post in the many PS threads. There’s nothing positive about beloved games like Octopath Traveller and Football Manager, alongside franchises like Final Fantasy and Yakuza coming to Xbox, alongside new games coming day one? You sad, sad infant.

Three

Yeah, should either be called EA Play or if it’s old stock EA Access. They are one and the same though.

Seriously even though we are cutting down the number of threads do you really have to come in to one of the few that’s allowed and spew your pathetic console warring bullshit? Just go away and post in the many PS threads. There’s nothing positive about beloved games like Octopath Traveller and Football Manager, alongside franchises like Final Fantasy and Yakuza coming to Xbox, alongside new games coming day one? You sad, sad infant.
Isn't that the point of the thread to contain all the gamepass talk like this? You can get lost from this thread instead because you've failed to understand its purpose.

Yes those are great. They were on xbox anyway. Just because my spending habits are different from yours doesn't mean I should be just as excited as you are about gamepass you sad, sad fool hence why this containment thread exists.

And you're a numbnut if you think I brought the "console wars" into this thread

It was a reply to show/explain how this person was thinking:
The fact that Microsoft have had a string of positive news at a time where Sony fans are starved for announcements, must REALLY hurt. It's the only thing that explains the backlash.
Funny you didn't say anything about that one.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Isn't that the point of the thread to contain all the gamepass talk like this? You can get lost from this thread instead because you've failed to understand its purpose.

Yes those are great. They were on xbox anyway. Just because my spending habits are different from yours doesn't mean I should be just as excited as you are about gamepass you sad, sad fool hence why this containment thread exists.

And you're a numbnut if you think I brought the "console wars" into this thread

It was a reply to show/explain how this person was thinking:

Funny you didn't say anything about that one.
You weren’t even talking about Game Pass you were talking about ‘their side’ (side LMAO do you think you’re an athlete in a sports team or something?), pot shots at Sony, Microsoft have nothing tangible blah blah blah how is that Game Pass related?

You clearly think this is a thread to come in and troll people, I’d bet my left nut that you don’t have GP, so why the fuck are you trying to wind people up?

And that guy you quoted is right; Microsoft have had a string of positive news recently, and Sony are under more scrutiny than usual with more negative press and less positive announcements. Just look at GAF if you can’t see it; reams of threads complaining about shutting down PS store on VITA/PS3, Jim Ryan hate, MLB breakdowns - these are PS fans posting this shit.

Fredrik

Can’t believe it actually works! MS is either extremely aggressive to keep building the Gamepass userbase or simply naive and don’t realize people are using this loophole.

On the other hand, the longer you have GP prepaid, the longer they know you’ll stay on their platform and talk about their games and buy DLC etc etc

Three

You weren’t even talking about Game Pass you were talking about ‘their side’ (side LMAO do you think you’re an athlete in a sports team or something?), pot shots at Sony, Microsoft have nothing tangible blah blah blah how is that Game Pass related?

You clearly think this is a thread to come in and troll people, I’d bet my left nut that you don’t have GP, so why the fuck are you trying to wind people up?

And that guy you quoted is right; Microsoft have had a string of positive news recently, and Sony are under more scrutiny than usual with more negative press and less positive announcements. Just look at GAF if you can’t see it; reams of threads complaining about shutting down PS store on VITA/PS3, Jim Ryan hate, MLB breakdowns - these are PS fans posting this shit.
Yes of course. He/she made this about Sony vs Microsoft and is banned from the forum now but "that guy is right", whereas me, I'm making this thread about console wars and should leave it. How did I know you would defend that person.

"Their side" as in the person making this about Sony vs MS and considers themselves on a side.

Ok I'll paraphrase to be more mild.

That user and people like him are after PR stuff. Likely damage and "megatons" from a console warring perspective but not really tangible things hence why he might see a string of good news whereas another person like myself or Soulsborne might not see anything that's actually that exciting right now if we buy games anyway.

Happy?

Last edited:

Daymos

thank god! I don't have to /ignore half the board anymore.

I'm firmly in the camp who thinks Gamepass is bad. It further degrades the value of a video game, further reduces your rights to ownership, it requires an internet connection, and it takes us one step closer to a streaming-only future.

It's so clearly bad long term. bad bad bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom