• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass General Discussion

Gatox

Banned
thank god! I don't have to /ignore half the board anymore.

I'm firmly in the camp who thinks Gamepass is bad. It further degrades the value of a video game, further reduces your rights to ownership, it requires an internet connection, and it takes us one step closer to a streaming-only future.

It's so clearly bad long term. bad bad bad.
It's good that you can ignore the gamepass threads, yet here you are, in the official gamepass thread :messenger_tears_of_joy:

BigLee74

I think MS are quite happy with the loopholes that enable cheaper subscription at the moment. Gets loads of folk onboard, and keeps them happy whilst their own exclusives are thin on the ground. In a year or so though, when those acquired studios start rolling the games off the conveyor belt, the loopholes will close.

But by that time, most folk will be ok to pay the standard monthly rate given the stream of new games. I know I probably will.

Last edited:
This is a blatant attempt to silence a certain part of the community and I don't want to be part of it. Please ban me.
Thx.
star trek you dishonor only yourself GIF by CBS

Lol

LastBattle

I'm firmly in the camp who thinks Gamepass is bad. It further degrades the value of a video game, further reduces your rights to ownership, it requires an internet connection, and it takes us one step closer to a streaming-only future.

I used to think like you. Hated the thought of buying digital, streaming games, etc. then I got older, had a family, developed interests outside of gaming and realised that the boxes and boxes of previous gen games that I would never play again, (quite a few also never played) and take up way too much space were...pointless. Game Pass has been a godsend for me. It’s allowed me to cast aside the shackles of pointless collection and to just enjoy gaming (at an insane level of value). I hope Sony and Nintendo follow the same model, because right now paying $100+ For one game is a solid not going to happen anymore for me.

ReBurn

Gold Member

How are rights to ownership reduced when you can still buy every game on the service if you want to own it?

93xfan

Banned
And as great of a deal as it is now, I can’t imagine what it will feel like at the end of the generation with Avowed, Fable, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, Halo Infinite, Forza 8, Psychonauts 2, Everwild, Deathloop, new Doom, Forza Horizon 5 and whatever else they release.

Add to that all the older games and the 3rd party/indie games that get added it’s going to be tough to ever cancel that subscription.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

And as great of a deal as it is now, I can’t imagine what it will feel like at the end of the generation with Avowed, Fable, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, Halo Infinite, Forza 8, Psychonauts 2, Everwild, Deathloop, new Doom, Forza Horizon 5 and whatever else they release.

Add to that all the older games and the 3rd party/indie games that get added it’s going to be tough to ever cancel that subscription.

It will be a whole new thing once the service starts to get all of the first-party content. Was just looking at some newer screenshots from Halo on reddit and the subtle changes they have made have really made a night and day difference. The visuals look a lot more grounded now. That's first up I guess, unless a Forza sneaks in there.

dcmk7

Banned
Great idea.

Majority of threads were being derailed by the usual suspects.

It had gotten seriously out of hand.

PlayStation's Xbox Game Pass wouldn't be like Microsoft's

driqe

In the case of Sony, it would be a subscription focused entirely on entertainment. Sony’s subscription would include music, film, TV, anime, and games, although it is not yet clear whether services such as PS Now or PS Plus would enter the catalog. According to the podcast, Sony does not have the infrastructure to offer a game-centric service, releasing one or two games a year. However, it has a strong position in entertainment, which would be the one to explode with this service.
Tv pass

DaGwaphics

That would certainly be a compelling service for them. Anything that brings a lot of value for reasonable $$ I'm all for.

Jaysen

Banned

How do I ignore these threads I keep clicking on and posting in like an idiot?!

MrSarcastic

Banned
No one (with a brain) can ignore the value of something like game pass. And there is a lot of fearmongering especially funny ones that focuses on the viability of a service like that (we need to worry about how much money could a triple trillion-dollar company lose -please think about corporation too!!, they have feelings you know?-).

But there is something that bothers me, and I think is a real issue (but is not the end of the world):

How a service like game pass could/will affect game design?. There is a trend that can be encouraged in those kinds of platforms.
The "Live" Games, the GaaS games, the unfinished, broken, and perpetual early access games; those games that are unfinishable because they are meant to be played daily for over months even years.

DaGwaphics

No one (with a brain) can ignore the value of something like game pass. And there is a lot of fearmongering especially funny ones that focuses on the viability of a service like that (we need to worry about how much money could a triple trillion-dollar company lose -please think about corporation too!!, they have feelings you know?-).

But there is something that bothers me, and I think is a real issue (but is not the end of the world):

How a service like game pass could/will affect game design?. There is a trend that can be encouraged in those kinds of platforms.
The "Live" Games, the GaaS games, the unfinished, broken, and perpetual early access games; those games that are unfinishable because they are meant to be played daily for over months even years.

Hopefully the players will help to curb bad habits along the way. I suspect MS will always being looking to see what titles the players are playing and what % are they playing (not in time, but are they finishing them) and so on. There wouldn't be a lot of need to restock the shovelware junk if no one is playing them and the players aren't seemingly happy with those. If a great 8hr single player game comes along and 75% of subscribers finish it, that should bode well for similar things in the future I would think.

I don't really know how much information they have on file about us, LOL, but whatever they do have will likely be used to gauge value of certain things amongst specific groups and so on. 🤷‍♂️

I had watched a documentary about Netflix (I'm that boring) and it talked a lot about the team of number crunchers and how they strive to provide content to a lot of different groups of people specifically. I found it interesting, if I can find the link I'll post it.

There's always the chance that they get overly comfortable and/or cheap and try to pass off a lot of garbage. At which point I won't renew again unless I could see them course correcting, if enough people did the same they should get the message.

The one other thing I can see regarding single player is that they might opt to make them more episodic. Especially if they have problems with people signing up for a month and cancelling etc. But that doesn't necessarily change a game at all. Almost any game could be released in episodes if desired, even titles like TLoU etc. Most games have some breaks in there where you could have a little cliff hanger until the next part, etc.

Last edited:

MrSarcastic

Banned
Hopefully the players will help to curb bad habits along the way. I suspect MS will always being looking to see what titles the players are playing and what % are they playing (not in time, but are they finishing them) and so on. There wouldn't be a lot of need to restock the shovelware junk if no one is playing them and the players aren't seemingly happy with those. If a great 8hr single player game comes along and 75% of subscribers finish it, that should bode well for similar things in the future I would think.

I don't really know how much information they have on file about us, LOL, but whatever they do have will likely be used to gauge value of certain things amongst specific groups and so on. 🤷‍♂️
They absolutely have the telemtry. This kind of service even like Netflix, Disney+ seeks an influx of new/renew subscribers each time they drop something new and also the engagement (time and money spend). So, I expect a variety of "experiences" but I can definitely see the most successful ones to be like those "live" games.

Beelzebubs

Just let me mod GamePass games on PC. I've got a PS4 controller I use and having XBox button prompts for QTE events is confusing the shit out of me. (FF12: zodiac Age quickenings specifically)

turtlepowa

Banned
@ DGrayson DGrayson
What do you think about general discussions for LTTP and sales number threads? Right now we have 4 LTTP threads on page one and we also have countless sales number threads getting more every week with famitsu, UK and so on.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
2 new additions I would like to see on GP and I think they will be on in the near future. Boarderlands 3 and Project cars 3. I know the latter didn't get great reviews as it came away from the sim genre and I would have bought it day 1 if it stayed to its roots. But never the less I would still like to give it a whirl.

Fredrik

2 new additions I would like to see on GP and I think they will be on in the near future. Boarderlands 3 and Project cars 3. I know the latter didn't get great reviews as it came away from the sim genre and I would have bought it day 1 if it stayed to its roots. But never the less I would still like to give it a whirl.
I want Watchdog Legion, Fenyx Rising, later Far Cry 6. Whole Ubi catalog would be fine tbh.

@ DGrayson DGrayson
What do you think about general discussions for LTTP and sales number threads? Right now we have 4 LTTP threads on page one and we also have countless sales number threads getting more every week with famitsu, UK and so on.
Dear god. Leave him alone it’s done. Stop with the persecution already. The front page already looks a million times better without the 20+ gp threads.

MadPanda

Banned
12 months of EA Play (£16ish in the UK) converts to 4 months of Game Pass Ultimate for existing members. Works out at £4 a month, and can be stacked.

This still works? I redeemed 1 year in November last year but I thought it's not working anymore. That's awesome, I'll have to add some more to my subscription.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think MS are quite happy with the loopholes that enable cheaper subscription at the moment. Gets loads of folk onboard, and keeps them happy whilst their own exclusives are thin on the ground. In a year or so though, when those acquired studios start rolling the games off the conveyor belt, the loopholes will close.

But by that time, most folk will be ok to pay the standard monthly rate given the stream of new games. I know I probably will.
When you say cheaper, the £1 deal that people using for 3 years apparently makes it the same price as PSnow. £150 for 3 years of xbox live plus the £1 and PSnow is £49 a year. So while being cheaper than £9.99 a month its comparable to what the competition is doing in price

turtlepowa

Banned
Dear god. Leave him alone it’s done. Stop with the persecution already. The front page already looks a million times better without the 20+ gp threads.
But it could look much better don't you think? Meanwhile i like the idea of general threads for spam topics.

Last edited:

reksveks

Same way that Netflix is only now starting to make moves against password sharing

dcmk7

Banned
@ DGrayson DGrayson

Do GamePass threads get derailed into LTTP threads? Nah.

Whereas everything was getting derailed into a GamePass thread.

Just a bit different.

It seems persecution complexes are all the rage nowadays.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Do GamePass threads get derailed in LTTP threads? Nah.

Whereas everything was getting derailed into a GamePass thread.

Just a bit different.

It seems persecution complexes are all the rage nowadays.
Anything console related gets derailed very quickly on GAF, but i think more general discussions are a good thing for clarity.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Can we also get a Meltdown OT?

This thread is for Xbox Game Pass. Take this to the PS Now OT.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
It'll be PS Now but with movie and TV streaming added to it.

It makes zero sense for Sony pack non-gaming media services to a subscription platform made to compete with game pass, especially after Xbone "home entertainment center" PR disaster and the core philosophy of Playstation going against it as a gaming-centric device whole last gen...

Södy

This is what'll happen. They did the same with Windows 95 back in the day.

Alright

Banned
If that really is the counterpunch to Game Pass I think some heads at Sony should roll
It's the perfect counter punch to gamepass because Microsoft are going the same route. Sony are just going to head them off at the pass.

OT:

Gamepass' best feature isn't AAA games day and date, it's the little, niche, B-tier games that are (IMO) more fun, enjoyable and leave a longer-lasting impression than 90% of the AAA market. It's these B-tier games and studios that were almost killed from the industry as AAA grew and 'indie' games took their space.

If Gamepass means a resurgence in B-tier games and an increase in the amount we see, then that's some of the best news a gamer could have.

DaGwaphics

It's the perfect counter punch to gamepass because Microsoft are going the same route. Sony are just going to head them off at the pass.

I don't know if MS would ever do Movies/Music/TV in a big way again. They aren't natural producers of any of that content and have mostly abandoned their projects in those areas. Sounds like a no brainer for Sony though.

Gamepass' best feature isn't AAA games day and date, it's the little, niche, B-tier games that are (IMO) more fun, enjoyable and leave a longer-lasting impression than 90% of the AAA market. It's these B-tier games and studios that were almost killed from the industry as AAA grew and 'indie' games took their space.

If Gamepass means a resurgence in B-tier games and an increase in the amount we see, then that's some of the best news a gamer could have.

Don't get me wrong, I think AAA games are great and these big day and date gets are massive PR moves as well. I expect MGS to churn out many a AAA going forward. But I do miss all the AA/B (however you want to phrase that) titles we used to get. The Xbox/PS2 gen was ripe with treasures both high and low budget. For those that haven't noticed this and/or are too young to remember, just google any of the big publishers around today (EA, Activision, Ubi, etc.) and take a look at all the titles they published in the Xbox/PS2 era and compare that to the output of the X1/PS4 generation.

It makes zero sense for Sony pack non-gaming media services to a subscription platform made to compete with game pass, especially after Xbone "home entertainment center" PR disaster and the core philosophy of Playstation going against it as a gaming-centric device whole last gen...

Depends on how they are selling it. If it is sold as a PS specific or branded service I agree. However, if this is really a Sony media subscription and it just incorporates their games into it for users that have Sony consoles, that could work. Very Amazon Prime.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
I don't know if MS would ever do Movies/Music/TV in a big way again. They aren't natural producers of any of that content and have mostly abandoned their projects in those areas. Sounds like a no brainer for Sony though.

I meant more MS getting in to bed/purchasing ("Buy-em out boys") of streaming content. MS have shown the intent with getting in to bed with Disney+ and i'm sure they would like to add Netflix to Gamepass, so that it can be the Netflix of Netflix.

Don't get me wrong, I think AAA games are great and these big day and date gets are massive PR moves as well. I expect MGS to churn out many a AAA going forward. But I do miss all the AA/B (however you want to phrase that) titles we used to get. The Xbox/PS2 gen was ripe with treasures both high and low budget. For those that haven't noticed this and/or are too young to remember, just google any of the big publishers around today (EA, Activision, Ubi, etc.) and take a look at all the titles they published in the Xbox/PS2 era and compare that to the output of the X1/PS4 generation.
Amen brother.

The bright-side of the DC getting cancelled was being able to pick up obscure games from Jakarta and EB games (those were the days) 3 for £10. Some were dross, some were alright and some were Spawn:in the Demon's hand, Powerstone and Rush 2049.

OG Xbox days had it's fair share of B-tier games that were just brilliant, and i remember in the early 360 days a few little titles like MindJack, one of the most forward thinking, innovative and ground-breaking ideas for a game i've seen. Sadly, the idea was never replicated or tried again.

Top Bottom