• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S confirmed? (alleged leaked controller packaging says yes!)

VAL0R

Banned

EfAy-UlXkAA-Ijp

Update:
The Verge story is here and has more pics: https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/9/21361157/microsoft-xbox-series-s-console-leak-controller-packaging

xboxleak4.jpg

xboxleak3.jpg

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
iOS has had native support for Xbox/PlayStation controllers for quite some time. Will even support Elite controller and the accessibility controller too.
I suppose that makes sense, because they're bluetooth. Just thinking it's weird seeing that on packaging, considering how Apple did Microsoft dirty when it came to XCloud.

GamerEDM

Banned
wonder what its going to be priced at 🤔? Imagine Series X is 100 dollar cheaper then PS5(disc version) and series S is 200 dollars cheaper. that would make things really interesting.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I know we knew this already, but still insanely cool to see that these controllers will also work with the existing Xbox One consoles.

I suppose that makes sense, because they're bluetooth. Just thinking it's weird seeing that on packaging, considering how Apple did Microsoft dirty when it came to XCloud.
It is sort of strange seeing it but it makes sense.

Nobody loses from the compatibility. Microsoft makes more sales because of iOS owners, and Apple gets to have access to major controllers without making their own but it adds value to iOS.

It’s super nice playing a modern port of Chrono Trigger on my AppleTV with my DualShock 4.

Last edited:

dottme

You can easily replace the batteries in a rechargeable one. They've even made it easier to open it up than before.
Or they can just put rechargeable batteries directly in the pack. I really don't get why people are still defending the idea that non-rechargeable batteries in a controller is still a good idea in 2020. So many batteries get created and pollute the environment for best few hours of gameplay and for worst to be immediately replaced by rechargeable one.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
That branding is just.. gross. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Anyways, Xbox Series Sis is pretty much gonna be the main thing for them. Especially with xcloud and gamepass being a focus, i expect the xbox IX (series x) to be abandoned quite early, series s will be the main focus and will sell the most for Microsoft.

Honestly the series s will be good for most people. It will be fairly cheap and probably swing a few PlayStation gamers who don't want to waste money on an expensive pc or the series x. who knows, if the initiative delivers i may get one myself.

Last edited:
Or they can just put rechargeable batteries directly in the pack. I really don't get why people are still defending the idea that non-rechargeable batteries in a controller is still a good idea in 2020. So many batteries get created and pollute the environment for best few hours of gameplay and for worst to be immediately replaced by rechargeable one.

Don't be so thick, it's about choice and convenience. AA rechargeables are cheap and last forever

Banned
That branding is just.. gross. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Anyways, Xbox Series Sis is pretty much gonna be the main thing for them. Especially with xcloud and gamepass being a focus, i expect the xbox IX (series x) to be abandoned quite early, series s will be the main focus and will sell the most for Microsoft.

reading this I'm not sure if your profile title is a joke or an objective description

I bet series s is weaker and all digital

well we know it is weaker. leaks reached from 4 to 5 TF and less RAM while using the same CPU and CPU clocks and the same SSD.
it's basically designed to run Series X games at either 1/4 or !/3 of the Series X's resolution. meaning 4K games will typically run at 1080p and there is headroom for games that run below 4K to still reach or come close to 1080p on Series S.

that's what the leaks suggest so far what this console is about.

Last edited:

jshackles

Yeah, I'm not really sure why everyone is so eager to see a less powerful console, unless its just the digital version of series x
Maybe because it'd be interesting if it's significantly cheaper, with the limitation being that it only plays games at 1080p. I know a couple of normies who don't have 4K TVs yet, and don't plan on upgrading any time soon. If they're presented with the option to buy the Series S for $300 or the PS5 for $500, they're gonna pick the Series S. As long as their kids can play Fortnite on it, they're golden.

dorkimoe

Maybe because it'd be interesting if it's significantly cheaper, with the limitation being that it only plays games at 1080p. I know a couple of normies who don't have 4K TVs yet, and don't plan on upgrading any time soon. If they're presented with the option to buy the Series S for $300 or the PS5 for $500, they're gonna pick the Series S. As long as their kids can play Fortnite on it, they're golden.
Dunno why you would even upgrade from an xbox one then if youre just going to play fortnite. I just cant imagine the difference then between Xbox one and Series S. I get not having 4k tv's, but then you dont need to upgrade

Last edited:

Banned
And you still need batteries. Why MS it's fucking 2020

you don't NEED batteries, you have the OPTION to use them.
and there is literally no negative about this.

want to use AA batteries? you can!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? you can!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? you can!

as opposed to:
want to use AA batteries? NOPE you can't!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? NOPE!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can! but you will never be able to replace it without killing you warranty!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? NOPE!

if you can criticize anything about how Microsoft is handling this it is maybe the pricing of the controller in combination with a play and charge kit, that's maybe a bit too high, but the concept is absolutely perfect.

Last edited:

splattered

Yeah, I'm not really sure why everyone is so eager to see a less powerful console, unless its just the digital version of series x

I dont see why they would bother branding it an entirely different model (S vs X) if the only difference is digital.

Its prob less powerful but same architecture and lesser price.

Nintendo has no problem selling butt loads of underpowered cheap hardware this will do fine too.

Vawn

Banned
DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! remains the ONLY person on Earth finding this out for the first time.

jshackles

Dunno why you would even upgrade from an xbox one then if youre just going to play fortnite. I just cant imagine the difference then between Xbox one and Series S
Yeah but I'm talking more about people who don't already have a game console. Or one guy I know who has a base PS4 and a 1080p TV and is looking to upgrade this Christmas, and has no brand loyalty. Just wants to be able to play "next gen" games and will likely own this new box for 5+ years.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
you don't NEED batteries, you have the OPTION to use them.
and there is literally no negative about this.

want to use AA batteries? you can!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? you can!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? you can!

as opposed to:
want to use AA batteries? NOPE you can't!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? NOPE!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can! but you will never be able to replace it without killing you warranty!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? NOPE!

if you can criticize anything about how Microsoft is handling this it is maybe the pricing of the controller in combination with a play and charge kit, that's maybe a bit too high, but the concept is absolutely perfect.
I've used one of those rechargeable battery packs since the 360 days.

Iced Arcade

Worst kept secret. The announcement will be cringy when you see Phil's face thinking people are surprised.

I am happy af that they have battery packs. Play and charge packs all day ever day over disposable controllers.

Last edited:
You need to hang around the next gen speculation thread to understand it.

Basically, there had always been a small group of console gamers who want an expensive next gen console. 600? 700? even 800 dollars are thrown around. They want a powerful machine but they don't want to buy a PC.

Other posters in the forum would keep reminding them that consoles can't be too expensive or the market would be too small for console games. And the compromise that was created was "fine, then make a cheap ass nasty console for peasants, but make an powerful expensive SKU just for me".

This is an idea that had been bouncing around for years by now. It had always been fantasy, until Microsoft made it real.

So the people cheering for Series S are not the people actually into BUYING it. They are cheering for their dream of owning an overpriced console being a reality.

Note that because we don't know the price of Series X yet, those people are still dreaming about it being 800 dollars and salivating. The actual usefulness of Series S for gaming is irrelevant to them.

Top Bottom