• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S confirmed? (alleged leaked controller packaging says yes!)

Redlight

Like the ones already inside the playstation controller though.... included with the controller . Just saying.
Very few people seem to complain or care about something much more vital than a controller having batteries
that are recharged with a cable... like phones or tablets, laptops, and so on.

Both ways are fine for me but I am just saying , turning to a third party for a battery to get a simlar functionality to what
the playstation has out of the box - its fine, and the option is never bad really but then 're juggling batteries or battery packs
and other things plus third party chargers. It just seems like more stuff to mess with. That said my One X- I just use regular old
batteries and its because I have kids and happen to get a really good deal on energizer batteries , , coupled with limited playtime
Its not a big deal just to swap them now and then. Niether way keeps me up at night.
Having to use a controller with a wire attached isn't really acceptable in 2020. The Xbox solution allows you to have a single controller with two batteries, one playing one charging. You never, ever need to play with a cable trailing across the floor like it's 1996.

I bought some rechargeable battery's during the 360 era. I still use them on my x1 and ill use them on series x. I dont know how people just don't use rechargeable batteries. I use them for everything. I also bought a play and charge kit when x1 launched. It still works. MY ds4 died I had to buy a whole new controller. BS

MrFunSocks

Banned
you don't NEED batteries, you have the OPTION to use them.
and there is literally no negative about this.

want to use AA batteries? you can!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? you can!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? you can!

as opposed to:
want to use AA batteries? NOPE you can't!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? NOPE!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can! but you will never be able to replace it without killing you warranty!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? NOPE!

if you can criticize anything about how Microsoft is handling this it is maybe the pricing of the controller in combination with a play and charge kit, that's maybe a bit too high, but the concept is absolutely perfect.
Perfect, but you'll still get the sony fanboys arguing against having options. To them it's a privilege to be able to throw out their controller and buy a new one when the internal battery dies.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Controllers are successful and gets PC gamers fired up about them I agree mouse & kb does a good job for short periods of time but gaming on a controller is the right way

Is this legit?
fv6VTH4.jpg

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

$500 for X and $300 for S.

That's been my theory, I'll stick with it.

... that it's a PS5. It has identical specifications to the base model, just less a disc drive. It requires very little explanation as a result.

The Series S is a lower-spec machine. The singular trade off is a lower price point. If they can't show you the price difference, they can't make a case for the machine as it solely exists to provide said lower price point.

:messenger_ok:

DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! remains the ONLY person on Earth finding this out for the first time.

That's rough, and until it's announced it wasn't a thing, so, he was still right anyway. :messenger_winking_tongue:

DaGwaphics

Maybe because it'd be interesting if it's significantly cheaper, with the limitation being that it only plays games at 1080p. I know a couple of normies who don't have 4K TVs yet, and don't plan on upgrading any time soon. If they're presented with the option to buy the Series S for $300 or the PS5 for $500, they're gonna pick the Series S. As long as their kids can play Fortnite on it, they're golden.

I think it's great to see someone trying something a bit different.

Yams

So you're telling me that there are packaged controllers floating around, hot off the factory floor, and we still don't know the release date or price?!

Gamerguy84

I dont remember a poll. Someone should make one on who is getting it.

Most hardcore X fans are getting SX. But, if the price is right it could attract PS gamers who want to add gamepass, or harrdcore Nintendo fans who want the same.

Maybe SX fans who want a bedroom system. Who knows.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! remains the ONLY person on Earth finding this out for the first time.

You’re assuming DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! is still not in denial. I bet that denial will continue even after it’s on store shelves.

I dont remember a poll. Someone should make one on who is getting it.

Most hardcore X fans are getting SX. But, if the price is right it could attract PS gamers who want to add gamepass, or harrdcore Nintendo fans who want the same.

Maybe SX fans who want a bedroom system. Who knows.

Xbox One S already exists with the digital only version being the cheapest console in retail right now.

Last edited:

GHG

That packaging looks like the controller tried to escape back to the factory when it realised it needs to be fed with ghetto AA batteries.

tenor.gif

McCheese

If your launching a cheaper SKU you either need to release it at launch, or keep quiet about it so folks don't put-off buying the more expensive model.

My hot take is if they are putting the name on the controller box, this SKU will launch day one alongside the X.

That box is beat the hell up, someone must have had to really smuggle that shot :messenger_tears_of_joy: Looks legit.

My only one gripe is the "|" between X & S. There isn't a lot of type there and they still over looked it. It's left at it's default baseline, which almost always makes it lower than the other characters which looks weird to me. I would have bumped it up .75 pt. but I'm a typography nerd... so yea :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mmnow

Dualsense lasts for 12 hours, and apparently people are happy to sit cross-legged on the floor with it plugged in for the honour. There was a thread the other day where people were acting like it was VE Day because a Sony controller broke a potential 10 hours of use.

Even the Xbox One controller lasts for 30 and I've never had a moment where a dead battery has been anything but a 2 second rechargeable battery swap.

How are people still presenting this as a bad thing?! Sony do a lot of things right. Their controller battery is not one of them. The fact I'm gonna get replies saying "It's not that bad, you just..." is proof of that.

The Series S is an interesting but badly kept secret. It's going to be a winner with parents buying consoles for kids, for people who haven't updated to 4k and with people looking for a second console .

I wish the marketing had been better though. Hard to sell even a genius idea if the company behind it acts like they're ashamed of it and it's yet to be seen if its a genius idea.

Sony

Nintendo
Glad there is a Series S. Native 4k gaming is a huge waste of recourses in my opinion. The Series S is basically a 1080p version of the Series X that it fine.
The biggest question for me personally is what the plans are for Xbox One X. I understand that developers drop support for Xbox One (S), but the One X is quite a powerful machine, albeit with a dated architecture.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure it's not easier than popping out eneloops and quickly replacing them without the need for any tools. Non removable batteries are the worst.

No - some people have no trouble at all. Apparently.

I could probably replace the battery in the DS4 as quickly as I would be fiddling with a couple of eneloops on an XBONE controller....

DavidGzz

That packaging looks like the controller tried to escape back to the factory when it realised it needs to be fed with ghetto AA batteries.

tenor.gif

Heh, those batteries last me 30 hours. The ghetto DS4 lasts me 5. It's essentially a wired controller half of the time I use it. We may be up to 1/3 as long as the Xbox controller next gen. Sony taking those baby steps.

GHG

Heh, those batteries last me 30 hours. The ghetto DS4 lasts me 5. It's essentially a wired controller half of the time I use it. We may be up to 1/3 as long as the Xbox controller next gen. Sony taking those baby steps.

I'll gladly take internal batteries over any AA battery solution but I'm happy the option exists for those who still want that.

Mister Wolf

Glad there is a Series S. Native 4k gaming is a huge waste of recourses in my opinion. The Series S is basically a 1080p version of the Series X that it fine.
The biggest question for me personally is what the plans are for Xbox One X. I understand that developers drop support for Xbox One (S), but the One X is quite a powerful machine, albeit with a dated architecture.

It's going to be very appealing to parents buying for their young children.

Tulipanzo

It's fine to have replaceable batteries but
- I've never had any battery problems on any controller across PS3, PS4, or Switch
- MS could still bundle in a charging pack instead of charging you for extra
- Failing that, rechargeable AA instead of shitty basic ones that die and force you to buy extra

It's going to be very appealing to parents buying for their young children.
It's going to confuse the shit out of any parent even trying to approach it.
A 1080p device will be competing with the much more popular Switch and PS4.

Last edited:

anothertech

you don't NEED batteries, you have the OPTION to use them.
and there is literally no negative about this.

want to use AA batteries? you can!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? you can!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? you can!

as opposed to:
want to use AA batteries? NOPE you can't!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? NOPE!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can! but you will never be able to replace it without killing you warranty!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? NOPE!

if you can criticize anything about how Microsoft is handling this it is maybe the pricing of the controller in combination with a play and charge kit, that's maybe a bit too high, but the concept is absolutely perfect.
You're so right. So glad apple and Samsung went the AA battery pack in their phones for the last decade for that quality approach.

It doesn't make the controller feel like a cheap Fisher Price toy at all.

Also thank goodness their controller costs so much less than Sony since they don't include rechargeables.

It's fine to have replaceable batteries but
- I've never had any battery problems on any controller across PS3, PS4, or Switch
- MS could still bundle in a charging pack instead of charging you for extra
- Failing that, rechargeable AA instead of shitty basic ones that die and force you to buy extra
I had tons of problems with my PS3 controller batteries no longer charging. There is no circumstance where having built-in batteries that need tools to replace are better than user replaceable AA. Especially when you can use alkaline, rechargeable , or a battery pack. Options are good for consumers.

You're so right. So glad apple and Samsung went the AA battery pack in their phones for the last decade for that quality approach.

Also thank goodness their controller costs so much less than Sony since they don't include rechargeables.
Are you being serious? First off cell phones never used disposable batteries so you are starting off being disingenuous. Second Apple and Samsung use rechargeable non removable batteries to keep phone size down and to provide a built-in shelf life so you have to keep buying new phones. They weren't trying to make a pro-consumer move.

I don't see how anyone is trying to criticize MS here. At least go back to the Craig memes. They was kind of funny and Sony fans loved it.

Last edited:

Mmnow

It's going to confuse the shit out of any parent even trying to approach it.
How stupid do you think people are?

"Hi, I'd like to buy an Xbox for my son please."

"Great, does he have a 4k TV?"

"Nope.

" Okay, we have a Series X, which is the most powerful, or a Series S which will work fine on his TV. "

" Which one is cheaper? "

Where's the confusion?
Ah yes, because a game controller that never leaves your house is the same as a smartphone. Smartphones which, by the way, have better battery life with full use than a Sony controller.

What point are you trying to make here? That battery life in a bloody controller is less important than a vague "quality approach"? Yeah, it's not.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Need a new pc controller so I'll be getting that, which pretty much means I'll be getting a series S & X for the cost of a joypad.

Good times.

DavidGzz

With the Xbox controller, you have both options. How is that a bad thing? And comparing the better quality controller to a fisher price toy, what does that make the cheaper feeling DS4? There is a reason it is pretty much standard for PC gaming as well. It's the best controller.

TBiddy

No - some people have no trouble at all. Apparently.

Hahahaha. What the fuck. Does he have screwdrivers instead of hands?

There's a lot of disingenous shit on Gaf, but that posts is up there with the very best. Congratulations.

Last edited:

anothertech

I had tons of problems with my PS3 controller batteries no longer charging. There is no circumstance where having built-in batteries that need tools to replace are better than user replaceable AA. Especially when you can use alkaline, rechargeable , or a battery pack. Options are good for consumers.

Are you being serious? First off cell phones never used disposable batteries so you are starting off being disingenuous. Second Apple and Samsung use rechargeable non removable batteries to keep phone size down and to provide a built-in shelf life so you have to keep buying new phones. They weren't trying to make a pro-consumer move.

I don't see how anyone is trying to criticize MS here. At least go back to the Craig memes. They was kind of funny and Sony fans loved it.
How stupid do you think people are?

"Hi, I'd like to buy an Xbox for my son please."

"Great, does he have a 4k TV?"

"Nope.

" Okay, we have a Series X, which is the most powerful, or a Series S which will work fine on his TV. "

" Which one is cheaper? "

Where's the confusion?

Ah yes, because a game controller that never leaves your house is the same as a smartphone. Smartphones which, by the way, have better battery life with full use than a Sony controller.

What point are you trying to make here? That battery life in a bloody controller is less important than a vague "quality approach"? Yeah, it's not.
And yet the elite 2, the highest quality Xbox controller, forgoes replaceables completely.

Why is that I wonder...

Grinchy

Banned
Having to pay extra for a "play and charge kit" is fucking horseshit, but it is nice that the battery lasts a really long time. It also takes a really long time to fully charge, though.

And I've always liked joking that a 30 hour battery on an Xbox controller can get you through the entire generation's good exclusives :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_fire:

DavidGzz

Haha so the elite 2 is an actual quality product without replaceable batteries.

Whats the x fans going to argue now lol.

I'd say it's taking a step back from the Elite 1 as I'd rather be able to put in my other play and charge kit or rechargeable batteries when they die. Simple logic. What would your argument be if the DS4 allowed that choice? You'd say the Elite 2 got it right, huh? Nope.

You'll never have dead non replaceable rechargeable batteries in those controllers and I like that.

Good thing that DS4 battery is easily replaceable*, so Dualsense is probably as easy.

*For people with normal motoric and cognitive skills. Few screws and thata about it

I have 2013 controllers and they still work perfectly and battery lasts good enough.

Funny how xbots always try to make it a big deal.. maybe they dont belong into said group that can replace battery once in 10-15 years? :)

Replacing/charging AA batteries all the to e doesnt sound as easy as cradling the controller once a day

anothertech

I'd say it's taking a step back from the Elite 1 as I'd rather be able to put in my other play and charge kit or rechargeable batteries when they die. Simple logic. What would your argument be if the DS4 allowed that choice? You'd say the Elite 2 got it right, huh? Nope.
If DS4 had replaceable batteries it'd be a step back in quality hands down.

Elite 2 got it right. Exactly. From Chinatown toy to serious electronics status.

Top Bottom