• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S confirmed? (alleged leaked controller packaging says yes!)

Birdo

Banned
I imagine the Series S will just look like the X, but white.

It would save production costs to use the same form factor.

It would increase shipping costs though. Anyway, my prediction stands, in that Series S is going to be more expensive than anyone here expected. Because that was the case for both the XboxOneX and the XboxOne SAD launch.

mortal

I'd be surprised if it ended looking different from this mock up. Seems pretty spot on, given the minimal Series X aesthetic. Expecting it to be a cheaper Digital SKU was well.

Untitled2969.jpg

nani17

are in a big trouble
you don't NEED batteries, you have the OPTION to use them.
and there is literally no negative about this.

want to use AA batteries? you can!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? you can!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? you can!

as opposed to:
want to use AA batteries? NOPE you can't!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? NOPE!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can! but you will never be able to replace it without killing you warranty!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? NOPE!

if you can criticize anything about how Microsoft is handling this it is maybe the pricing of the controller in combination with a play and charge kit, that's maybe a bit too high, but the concept is absolutely perfect.

That's not the point I don't want to spend more money.

I bought the controller now I have to buy a pack and when I buy another 60 euros controller and then again have to buy a 40 euro pack or just buy rechargeable batteries and have spare ones ready. When all this billion dollar company has to do is add in one inside the controller.

It's not a big deal it's just annoying

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Why just XBox One branding but Xbox Series is called out with X|S? We all know they have not stopped pri
Theoretically there should be a picture of the series S in the manual correct?
Maybe it looks like the Xbox Series X only white? That would explain only one image in the manual pic. (I doubt what I am saying is true. Just speculating.)

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Why just XBox One branding but Xbox Series is called out with X|S? We all know they have not stopped pri

Maybe it looks like the Xbox Series X only white? That would explain only one image in the manual pic. (I doubt what I am saying is true. Just speculating.)

Suppose it's possible but I believe rumors were it's more traditional console looking.

Andodalf

Banned
Yep. The Series S' singular selling point is its lower price. So, they can't reveal the Series S until they can tell you the price, otherwise it won't have a selling point.

What is the PS5 digital's selling point other than being cheaper?

Dr.brain64

Gold Member
Is that the "new" controller? What exactly is new about it compared to current controller? Looks the same to me...

Saber

Gold Member
If its real, it needs that gif of "Same...but different. But still the same!".

Because frankly I see no difference.

Barakov

Gold Member
I'd be surprised if it ended looking different from this mock up. Seems pretty spot on, given the minimal Series X aesthetic. Expecting it to be a cheaper Digital SKU was well.

Untitled2969.jpg
The tiniest Xbox™ ever made. I'll take my money now, Microsoft.

You'll never have dead non replaceable rechargeable batteries in those controllers and I like that.

The internal batteries in playstation controllers arent soldered in or anything its not like an Iphone or something, its 4 little philips screws and you swap it... not that it usually happens. They last many years.

Youve got to go and buy rechargeable and keep them charged and take up an outlet with those to keep the controller in batteries, or have batteries around
- not that I am saying its that expensive I dont care either way but i kind of prefer rechargeable especially if I have at least 2 controllers.

Codes 208

Gold Member
The internal batteries in playstation controllers arent soldered in or anything its not like an Iphone or something, its 4 little philips screws and you swap it... not that it usually happens. They last many years.

Youve got to go and buy rechargeable and keep them charged and take up an outlet with those to keep the controller in batteries, or have batteries around
- not that I am saying its that expensive I dont care either way but i kind of prefer rechargeable especially if I have at least 2 controllers.
That’s what Eneloop is for, rechargeable batteries that last years. Best of both worlds.

I’m looking at it realistically, MS rarely goes for micdrops these days. Remember how people thought the Xbox SAD would launch at $199? Cause I do and it launched at $249

also good luck with that $399, the SX will definitely be $499 or higher.
But MS is looking to undercut Sony on price i believe they will go lower this time they will take a hit on hardware margin to gain market share. Wile making up the lost profit in software services.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Gold Member
But MS is looking to undercut Sony on price i believe they will go lower this time they will take a hit on hardware margin to gain market share. Wile making up the lost profit in software services.
If making up with software truly was their plan, they wouldn’t be loosening their xbox live gold services.

also, again, look at it realistically. The xbox one launched at $500, take out the Kinect andyou have the $400 sku. Despite the lower tech MS strongly believed the xbox one was worth $400.

jump several years and the one x launches at, again, $500.

If MS really wanted to undercut Sony, they would’ve done it several times by now.

People had been saying that for literally years. Yet somehow MS kept proving them wrong. We will see if this time is any different.

Isa

Dr.brain64 Dr.brain64

The main differences to me are the Dpad and Share button in the middle of the controller. For the most part its the same iirc.

Last edited:
If making up with software truly was their plan, they wouldn’t be loosening their xbox live gold services.

also, again, look at it realistically. The xbox one launched at $500, take out the Kinect andyou have the $400 sku. Despite the lower tech MS strongly believed the xbox one was worth $400.

If MS really wanted to undercut Sony, they would’ve done it several times by now.
That was all before Gamepass existed and took off and now that they have Gamepass with 10 million subs and growing i think they will go hard.

I don't want next gen 3rd party titles held back by this. Hopefully it doesn't sell well enough to justify support for the big 3rd parties. R* better skip the S with GTA VI.

It'll have the same CPU clocks, an SSD, support for RT and all the other technologies the Series X has, just with less graphical power. It won't hold back anything, don't worry

NullZ3r0

Banned

Untitled2969.jpg
This is wrong. Rumor is that Lockharts are being taken home in One S shells to hide them. Series S will look more like a traditional console. Think Series X sliced down vertically.

Last edited:

ZehDon

What is the PS5 digital's selling point other than being cheaper?
... that it's a PS5. It has identical specifications to the base model, just less a disc drive. It requires very little explanation as a result.

The Series S is a lower-spec machine. The singular trade off is a lower price point. If they can't show you the price difference, they can't make a case for the machine as it solely exists to provide said lower price point.

That’s what Eneloop is for, rechargeable batteries that last years. Best of both worlds.

Like the ones already inside the playstation controller though.... included with the controller . Just saying.
Very few people seem to complain or care about something much more vital than a controller having batteries
that are recharged with a cable... like phones or tablets, laptops, and so on.

Both ways are fine for me but I am just saying , turning to a third party for a battery to get a simlar functionality to what
the playstation has out of the box - its fine, and the option is never bad really but then 're juggling batteries or battery packs
and other things plus third party chargers. It just seems like more stuff to mess with. That said my One X- I just use regular old
batteries and its because I have kids and happen to get a really good deal on energizer batteries , , coupled with limited playtime
Its not a big deal just to swap them now and then. Niether way keeps me up at night.

DavidGzz

Xbox One launched at a time when MS was getting arrogant ala Sony with PS3. Losing Gold is still a rumor, just like the mic drop price so why believe one and not the other? Both rumors may be true and it's because they see Google and possible Amazon swooping in with their own Cloud services. Sacrifice to win.

Top Bottom