• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon - trailer

ManaByte

disgusted colin farrell GIF

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just like the mission impossible movie, I refuse to watch a 2 part movie until both are out, guess no theater for me. I hate movies with no endings.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is gonna go the way of Jupiter Ascending and Valyria I fear, rather than be the next 5th Element, Blade Runner, or Dune (and any pretense at Star Wars or Avatar....please). There is a certain air of camp I think you need in order to make these kinds of films work, and you DEFINITELY need a high level charismatic star, which this lady ain't. I'm sure visually it's gonna look wonderful but I don't think it will make a damn lick of sense and we will hit sensory overload about 25 minutes in.

Still, if you are gonna swing, swing for the fences! Looks to take a lot from Seven Samurai which can only be a good thing, though I can already see the issues I'm gonna have with scowling lead lady, the same issues with almost every "badass kickass don't need no man" leading lady because these writers just can't wrap their head about why writing a woman as if she were a man DOES NOT WORK in selling the power fantasy to the 95% male audience of a show like this. I bet I could just copy paste every criticism I'm gonna have and slap it on the Red Sonja film, Damsel, god knows how many others they keep trying to sell us.

Snyder is mostly a trainwreck for me, but it's a glorious trainwreck and if this doesn't have that focus whateverthefuck thing he was doing for Army of the Dead I think this will be a fun holiday watch if nothing else.

FunkMiller

Jesus Christ.

That's some of the most derivative, unoriginal shit I've ever seen.

A trope filled mess that only the die hard Snyderbros will defend. Can't wait for all the cringeworthy takes on how it's a masterpiece.

Snyder works best when somebody else writes the whole thing and he just directs it. Nothing has ever changed my mind on that.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Jesus Christ.

That's some of the most derivative, unoriginal shit I've ever seen.

A trope filled mess that only the die hard Snyderbros will defend. Can't wait for all the cringeworthy takes on how it's a masterpiece.

Snyder works best when somebody else writes the whole thing and he just directs it. Nothing has ever changed my mind on that.
I've got a buddy who will absolutely go to bat for everything he does and he actively despises James Gunn just for getting the position with DC as he believes it belongs to Snyder.

Honest question here: What caused this? He's always just kind of been a so so director to me, so why are people so defensive of him like he's some auteur filmmaker? I don't see many other moderate directors inspire such avid defense forces.

Liamario

Banned
This doesn't look good, especially with the PG13 violence.
I think Snyder is a good director, with the right material.

RAÏSanÏa

This is gonna go the way of Jupiter Ascending and Valyria I fear, rather than be the next 5th Element, Blade Runner, or Dune (and any pretense at Star Wars or Avatar....please). There is a certain air of camp I think you need in order to make these kinds of films work, and you DEFINITELY need a high level charismatic star, which this lady ain't. I'm sure visually it's gonna look wonderful but I don't think it will make a damn lick of sense and we will hit sensory overload about 25 minutes in.

Still, if you are gonna swing, swing for the fences! Looks to take a lot from Seven Samurai which can only be a good thing, though I can already see the issues I'm gonna have with scowling lead lady, the same issues with almost every "badass kickass don't need no man" leading lady because these writers just can't wrap their head about why writing a woman as if she were a man DOES NOT WORK in selling the power fantasy to the 95% male audience of a show like this. I bet I could just copy paste every criticism I'm gonna have and slap it on the Red Sonja film, Damsel, god knows how many others they keep trying to sell us.

Snyder is mostly a trainwreck for me, but it's a glorious trainwreck and if this doesn't have that focus whateverthefuck thing he was doing for Army of the Dead I think this will be a fun holiday watch if nothing else.
She's recruiting fighting men from glimpses in the trailer which seems cut linear to the story. Unless you mean romance? The costuming is campy. There was a blatant witch, and the spider creature that reminded me of Michael Ironside in Spacehunter.

Valerian's leads had no chemistry and broke the whole thing. The trailer for this shows chemistry. They got some names with mucha scene stealing charisma that can lift the whole thing with the customizing physics of a new spacefaring scific alien cybernetic fantasy magic setting.

I like the scowling lead, but can also already imagine the usual complaints. It's really going to depend on how hard those threads in the story as chords are struck and how much room is opened to the rest of the band to make a grand cinematic orchestration.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Valerian's leads had no chemistry and broke the whole thing. The trailer for this shows chemistry. They got some names with mucha scene stealing charisma that can lift the whole thing with the customizing physics of a new spacefaring scific alien cybernetic fantasy magic setting.
I admire your optimism and share it. I wanna get really drunk and yell and scream at this film (in a good way).

Charlie Hunnam is hit or miss with me. He works best when he is droll, which probably makes him a good fit for a Snyder joint but I want a Gerard Bulter level scene chewer and he isnt it. Neither is Djimon Hounsou, impressive looking but I've never really cared for his acting, Peter Mensah/Lance Reddick he is not. Alas, the days when a Arnold Schwarzeneggar level talent could be paired with Snyder to really elevate the material are sadly long past.

Anyway, I expect this film to be DRIPPING with video game level lore bait, everyone is gonna have a cool sounding but nonsensical name, lots of omnious locations for fetch quests, but hopefully some creative ideas in there somewhere. The PG-13 is probably the worst part, R snyder is the best snyder.

FunkMiller

Honest question here: What caused this? He's always just kind of been a so so director to me, so why are people so defensive of him like he's some auteur filmmaker? I don't see many other moderate directors inspire such avid defense forces.

He has an appeal for dude bro movie fans, who are smart enough to understand some of the the ins and outs of cinema, but sadly too dumb to realise Snyder's considerable shortcomings. He's a decent visualist at times, and by all accounts seems like a decent kind of bloke, but his storytelling is incredibly immature - which I guess is the appeal for people who are rather immature in their tastes themselves.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
He has an appeal for dude bro movie fans, who are smart enough to understand some of the the ins and outs of cinema, but sadly too dumb to realise Snyder's considerable shortcomings. He's a decent visualist at times, and by all accounts seems like a decent kind of bloke, but his storytelling is incredibly immature - which I guess is the appeal for people who are rather immature in their tastes themselves.
I think it's also apparent he's a pretty big nerd. "One of us" so to speak. So are Whedon and Kevin Smith though and I never want to see either one of those guys behind a camera again.

FunkMiller

I think it's also apparent he's a pretty big nerd. "One of us" so to speak. So are Whedon and Kevin Smith though and I never want to see either one of those guys behind a camera again.

Never got that mentality, to be honest. Chris Nolan is most definitely not a pop culture nerd on any level, and he's still responsible for the best comic book movie of all time.

It's the quality of the film maker that matters, not how nerdy they are about the source material.

And Snyder can't even get it right when he is referencing the source material - look at how he misunderstood so much of The Dark Knight Returns. I think he pretends to be a comic book fan - but really he's just into stuff like Heavy Metal and other deconstructionist weird ass stuff.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Never got that mentality, to be honest. Chris Nolan is most definitely not a pop culture nerd on any level, and he's still responsible for the best comic book movie of all time.

It's the quality of the film maker that matters, not how nerdy they are about the source material.

And Snyder can't even get it right when he is referencing the source material - look at how he misunderstood so much of The Dark Knight Returns. I think he pretends to be a comic book fan - but really he's just into stuff like Heavy Metal and other deconstructionist weird ass stuff.
Fuck me, let Snyder direct a live action hard R DEN! He could get Bautista to play Den and just load it up with tits, gore, floppy dicks, tight asses, more gore, and all the slo-mo fantasy Gothic imagery you could want!

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I think it’s looking good, I’ll go as far as to say that it looks better then the last three Star Wars movies combined……. yep
Yep I feel the same. But it's easer to just hate the guy and insult his fan for whatever reason 🤷‍♂️. Tbf, doing better than the last 3 SW movies (and even those spin off) is not that difficult.

R snyder is the best snyder
There is an R rated cut coming shortly after the release with additional footage too. I'll probably wait for this version.

RAÏSanÏa

I admire your optimism and share it. I wanna get really drunk and yell and scream at this film (in a good way).

Charlie Hunnam is hit or miss with me. He works best when he is droll, which probably makes him a good fit for a Snyder joint but I want a Gerard Bulter level scene chewer and he isnt it. Neither is Djimon Hounsou, impressive looking but I've never really cared for his acting, Peter Mensah/Lance Reddick he is not. Alas, the days when a Arnold Schwarzeneggar level talent could be paired with Snyder to really elevate the material are sadly long past.

Anyway, I expect this film to be DRIPPING with video game level lore bait, everyone is gonna have a cool sounding but nonsensical name, lots of omnious locations for fetch quests, but hopefully some creative ideas in there somewhere. The PG-13 is probably the worst part, R snyder is the best snyder.
From watching the first bit of the breakdown it might not have the advanced fantasy/tech worldbuidling incorporated where something like Krull could happen on some frontier world. The setting might be too limited to even attempt to surpass that, let alone something like Star Wars or even Fifth Element. Visually should be fun for what it is.

Unsure if unique to this project but using LEDs for muzzle lighting was clever.

Best comic movie ever got me thinking of The Crow, although there are those that could fairly argue The Mask.

For astrological mythology I like that the war story starts with farming for Bootes, brings to mind precession and Arcturus changing seasons... Ch-ch-ch-changes.

Hardensoul

Gold Member

I’m noticing the blurred effects like what he did in Army of the Dead. Who told Snyder it’s a good idea to keep those effects in Rebel Moon.

I hoped the blurred effects is toned way down from Army of the Dead. It was nauseating to watch, I had to take a break, a couple times to finish Army of the Dead.

Last edited:
I’m noticing the blurred effects like what he did in Army of the Dead. Who told Snyder it’s a good idea to keep those effects in Rebel Moon.

I hoped the blurred effects is toned way down from Army of the Dead. It was nauseating to watch, I had to take a break, a couple times to finish Army of the Dead.

I had to turn off Army of the Dead after 10 mins

Run Away GIF

Top Bottom