• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12-pin Power Connector: It's Real and Coming with NVIDIA Ampere GPUs

DeaDPo0L84

I'm gonna believe that my supernova 750w G3 psu is good enough. Also hearing that new cards will be revealed 6 months to a year down the line again. Is it assumed that the 3090 will be the defacto best card out of this entire line now and in the future until they jump to the next series of cards?

Ellery

I would be yeah. :( I mean ill probably hold off until next year at this point with all the consoles coming out

No idea how your remaining setup looks. I have a Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080, 750W Plat Seasonic, 1TB NVME SSD.

I wouldn't even break a sweat about my 750W not being enough (If I were to buy an RTX 3090) as long as Nvidia or board partner don't specifically say that you need certain things. Recommendations are only there to put them on the safe side and I am certain that every review will have some technical analysis about the power draw of those cards and how to properly run them without any performance loss.
My bet would be that a 750W is enough for the RTX 3090.

I would be shocked if 750W isn't enough for the RTX 3090. Maybe very worst case Intel 9900K or higher CPU overclocked running with free power target and an EVGA Kingpin RTX 3090 heavily overclocked running at full power target. Maybe then it could be close?

(Though don't blindly rely on what I say here. Most things right now are still rumors and unclear)

DeaDPo0L84

Genuinely curious why you're here? This is a thread discussing a power pin connector for a GPU which is exclusively centric to those gaming on pcs.

Yet here you are "3oFpS iS tHe SaMe aS 120fPs"

What's the point? You're just trolling when people might want to actually discuss the topic at hand and not have to have the same brain dead back and forth conversation with ignorant console only players.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The logic is this - Seasonic recommends an 850W PSU minimum to use the 12-pin connector. And the 3090 has been spotted with a 12-pin socket. So it looks like 850W is minimum for one hell of a power hungry and hot card. The size of the 3090 PCB is huge, so it also rules out ITX cases/boards.
Well if it's only for the 3090 it's not a big problem, i'm probably gonna go with a 3070\3080 depends on how much powerfull they are compared to my 2070super.

dorkimoe

No idea how your remaining setup looks. I have a Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080, 750W Plat Seasonic, 1TB NVME SSD.

I wouldn't even break a sweat about my 750W not being enough (If I were to buy an RTX 3090) as long as Nvidia or board partner don't specifically say that you need certain things. Recommendations are only there to put them on the safe side and I am certain that every review will have some technical analysis about the power draw of those cards and how to properly run them without any performance loss.
My bet would be that a 750W is enough for the RTX 3090.

I would be shocked if 750W isn't enough for the RTX 3090. Maybe very worst case Intel 9900K or higher CPU overclocked running with free power target and an EVGA Kingpin RTX 3090 heavily overclocked running at full power target. Maybe then it could be close?

(Though don't blindly rely on what I say here. Most things right now are still rumors and unclear)
Ok cool. I have a GTX1080 now with i5-9600k, 32gb ram. I will wait and see what they say.

I thought the point of going with a large power supply is to be able to stay in the 50% utilisation range, where the PSU is most efficient and likely to last longest.
An 80 Plus Gold PSU (and you really shouldn't be buying anything rated worse, especially if you're planning on buying a $1000+ GPU) is only 3% less efficient at 100% load than it is at 50%. Choosing a 650W model over one that's 850W or more makes almost no difference in terms of energy cost or longevity. A decent PSU is more or less guaranteed to outlast multiple builds. There's a reason most of them come with 7-10 year warranties.

Last edited:

gatti-man

I'm gonna believe that my supernova 750w G3 psu is good enough. Also hearing that new cards will be revealed 6 months to a year down the line again. Is it assumed that the 3090 will be the defacto best card out of this entire line now and in the future until they jump to the next series of cards?
That’s the way it seems. If AMD beats them you know they will release something even bigger but I highly doubt amd comes close.

Well I'm happy I bought a seasonic 1000w titanium last year. The card looks like a beast, I reckon we could be looking at 50-60% performance uplift over a 2080ti not counting DLSS.

I just hope I get my order in as soon as they go up for sale.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
I’m really annoyed with myself because for years I’ve been saying to people, don’t scrimp on the PSU - for some weird reason people seem to want to push the PSU to its very limit as though it’s some kind of a game.

Alas, I ignored my own advice. This time out I had Digital Storm build me a PC - and it’s beautiful. But the PSU is ‘only’ 700 watts. I guess my reasoning last year was that a 700 watt PSU would easily be able to power any single GPU.

If all of this turns out to be true, then it’s unprecedented. That said, if I’d followed my own rule, and gone overboard on the PSU then I wouldn’t be in this situation.

I bought the Bolt X, btw - best PC I’ve ever owned.

supernova8

Banned
The logic is this - Seasonic recommends an 850W PSU minimum to use the 12-pin connector. And the 3090 has been spotted with a 12-pin socket. So it looks like 850W is minimum for one hell of a power hungry and hot card. The size of the 3090 PCB is huge, so it also rules out ITX cases/boards.

If I were AMD I'd run with that for part of their marketing push:

"Next-gen visuals at 4K.... save money on your electricity bill, keep your current PC case - go with AMD Radeon"

It's a fact some people can't differentiate between 30 and 60, while the difference between 60 and 144 is much more subtle.
So, non-gamers are a game-related argument now? My grandmother probably can`t see a diifference....anyone who games somewhat regularly however can and will notice the massive difference immediately in any game faster than...chess.

I mean, yes, you have smoother screen refresh in Counterstrike. That's nice, I'm sure it's cool but it's hardly earth shattering.
Nothing is "earth shattering" to you, because you need some reason to have a 400$ box not look bad besides a 2k gaming rig.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
So, non-gamers are a game-related argument now? My grandmother probably can`t see a diifference....anyone who games somewhat regularly however can and will notice the massive difference immediately in any game faster than...chess.

Go to any gaming forum, even here. There are people that can't really tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS. 120 and above are a lot more subtle in comparison.

Nothing is "earth shattering" to you, because you need some reason to have a 400$ box not look bad besides a 2k gaming rig.

I don't really care about making one look better than the other. I can get a few 2000 euro gaming PCs per year if I wanted to.

It's more about the value proposition and what is the real result on screen. PC gaming is console gaming with a few "nice to have" elements added. Geometry stays the same, textures are a bit higher resolution but largely the same. The rendering pipeline is mostly the same, with maybe a few extra effects here and there.

I mean, I'm not going to say it isn't nice, but having extra resolution and framerate doesn't turn the experience into something next gen. It's current gen assets, afterall, you have to wait almost until next gen of consoles arrive to see any significant upgrade in graphics rendering on the PC side, otherwise during the generation, you spend 4 times or more of the cost of a console for a few extra trees, a bit further out houses in the distance, shadows look a bit more defined and a bit more detail on the shirts.

Is that worth it? It depends on each person, personally I don't think it's worth it and since it's the same assets and rendering pipeline, it's silly to call that next gen, even if it includes RGB and a racing chair.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Yea, I read about it last night, that seems to be locked in at this point, and it seems to be coming with a price jump to match - I am cannot spend $1400 on a GPU in good conscience. It seems they are positioning the xx90 at Titan type level, not TI.

So I will probably stick with the 3070 or 3080 type level. Currently have a 1080TI and a 700W GPU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom