• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 FIFA Confederations Cup | OT | 17 June – 2 July 2017 | Putin on a show

RocknRola

9fc.gif

This gif is oddly mesmerizing.

Wtf, 3rd place match was this early?! Welp :(

I think it's being played in the venue of the final so the extra time between matches seems warranted.

Edit: Nope, the final is in St. Petersburg. Nevermind. Don't know why they're being played so far apart then.

kiguel182

Yeah, Pepe pushed him. It seemed like it at least.

Edit: also, Portugal has missed so many shit this match. It hasn't been a good game at all for us. I mean, even if we win it has been a terrible showing.

v1lla21

Yup.

Though the Mexico bench needs to chill. We have Pepe + Bruno Alves. Y'all dont' want to turn this into a rumble :p
Lol.
Stupid ref. They shouldn't have the final say to choose what penalties they want to call.
I'm not even mad about losing but it's not the first time they decide to say fuck it. It's there for a reason.

RocknRola

And it's finished. Portugal takes the 3rd place.

2-1, after ET. Entertaining match if only due to how well the keepers performed and how many chances both teams just missed.

kiguel182

Yup.

Though the Mexico bench needs to chill. We have Pepe + Bruno Alves. Y'all dont' want to turn this into a rumble :p

I would understand if it was the final or semi but for fourth place it's not worth getting into a fight lol

I can't even get mad about that... but it's kinda dumb how they are deciding which plays to use the video for and which not to

I also don't understand that. I mean, I get that they can't use it every time someone falls in that zone but seems arbitrary? I definitely think it's a thing that should exist but it definitely needs some tuning.

RocknRola

I can't even get mad about that... but it's kinda dumb how they are deciding which plays to use the video for and which not to

Lol.
Stupid ref. They shouldn't have the final say to choose what penalties they want to call.
I'm not even mad about losing but it's not the first time they decide to say fuck it. It's there for a reason.

Yeah, this Cup as shown us all that the video refs need more power to make calls and force the field refs to do as they say. All the videos in the world won't do anything if the main ref doesn't decide to use them or just calls it as he wants it to.

Still, baby steps I guess. Here's hoping in the near future it'll become better and help games get cleaner.

---

Also, Portugal scored all 3 goals today :v

kiguel182

I think that undermining the main ref is weird. It can be done but it's a big power shift. That said this being random is an half step and definitely shouldn't be kept like this.

Edit: if this was a combat sports you now would need Portugal v Mexico 3 to decide the winner.

v1lla21

Apparently they showed the replay of the push on Moreno on the stadium screens. No wonder they were going apeshit.

VAR was literally implemented for things like this yet the ref can just wave it away if he wants. Before it used to be like, "well he missed it. Nothing can be done now." yet now we have a room where people dedicate the whole match to watching out for these plays and notifying the ref on field that it was indeed a foul. A referee refusing to acknowledge it undermines the whole tech and reason why it was implemented. It should be more like Baseball where the VAR is the final word.

RocknRola

Apparently they showed the replay of the push on Moreno on the stadium screens. No wonder they were going apeshit.

VAR was literally implemented for things like this yet the ref can just wave it away if he wants. Before it used to be like, "well he missed it. Nothing can be done now." yet now we have a room where people dedicate the whole match to watching out for these plays and notifying the ref on field that it was indeed a foul. A referee refusing to acknowledge it undermines the whole tech and reason why it was implemented. It should be more like Baseball where the VAR is the final word.

Yeah, basically this. If the VAR finds it to be a foul/penalty/card/whatever, it should be what they say. After all they get multiple angles and slow motion to properly judge everything. The field refs only obviously get their own perspective.

v1lla21

Yeah, basically this. If the VAR finds it to be a foul/penalty/card/whatever, it should be what they say. After all they get multiple angles and slow motion to properly judge everything. The field refs only obviously get their own perspective.
Yup, Oh well. It'll get there eventually.
Next match is gonna be good!

RocknRola

Statistics:

(Portugal vs Mexico)

BALL POSSESSION

54 - 46

ATTEMPTS

24 ATTEMPTS 13
6 ON-TARGET 6
12 OFF-TARGET 4
6 BLOCKED 3

DISCIPLINARY

20 FOULS COMMITTED 28
0 YELLOW CARDS 1
1 SECOND YELLOW CARD AND RED CARD 1
0 RED CARDS 0

ATTACKING

12 CORNERS 3
1 OFFSIDES 5
33 FREE KICKS 21
7 SAVES 4

--

Jebus, we missed a whooollle damn lot.

Zasa

With all the talk about how they're WC contenders losing to the b/c/u21 team of the world champions would be kinda bad
Most teams would lose to this B team, & they have plenty of player over 23 here. Which doesn't seem like people are even aware of.

Top Bottom