• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 FIFA Confederations Cup | OT | 17 June – 2 July 2017 | Putin on a show

Gilgamech

You can't really analyze football like that. Almost any superior team is going to go into full chill mode after a 2-0 lead in 10 minutes.
You can control a game using the ball and slowing passing it between teammates as a way to freeze the game. There's no need fully give up possession of the ball and go into full defense giving the other team more play.

Altazor

it's gonna be tough on Sunday - though I'm more nervous than afraid. More of a "don't fuck this up now, guys!" than a "welp, no chance".

v1lla21

Those early goals really soured the game but Germany played the game they needed to play and Mexico couldn't finish in the first half. Come the second half the two subs were fucking stupid. Got rid of the two best players on the pitch.

We lost before the game even started thanks to Osorio's tactics. He refuses to do things like play players in their natural positions and call up players that have had good seasons simply because of their height. But he won't get fired because we're topping qualification against CONCACAF superpowers. Sigh.

Congrats Germany! The win was deserved.

v1lla21

We lost before the game even started thanks to Osorio's tactics. He refuses to do things like play players in their natural positions and call up players that have had good seasons simply because of their height. But he won't get fired because we're topping qualification against CONCACAF superpowers. Sigh.

Congrats Germany! The win was deserved.
Yup, pretty much. What is chicharito even playing for? Dude receives all the balls with his back towards the net and doesn't even play his position.

Didn't see the game but results are what i expected a German win, world's best team, playing a lot of the younger players still looking STRONG..damn scary..

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My only problem right now is that there are no candidates to lead Mexico. Almeyda is still too green and Piojo imploded badly two years ago. Everybody else in the Mexican concert already had their chances and got burned by the position.

I think we are going to have to endure Osorio. For the sake of ge team, I hope he finally realised what he did wrong.

Fewr

My only problem right now is that there are no candidates to lead Mexico. Almeyda is still too green and Piojo imploded badly two years ago. Everybody else in the Mexican concert already had their chances and got burned by the position.

I think we are going to have to endure Osorio. For the sake of ge team, I hope he finally realised what he did wrong.
Some want Rafa Marquez.

boingball

Nice game from Germany. Will be more difficult against Chile.
Would be interesting to see penalty kicks at the end, Germany has an extremely good record in that and Bravo did kill all penalties of the Portugese.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Mexico finally fulfilled their dreams of being Argentina, sending mediocre players to Europe.

Mexican players are bought for their star appeal in Mexico and the United States. Bayern Leverkusen is making money thanks to Chicharito for example. If it was only because of skill qualifications, they would be overlooked.

I said earlier in this thread, the only way Germany are going to lose this tourney is if Portugal get to the final and Ronaldo has a blinder in the final.

The final will be 3-0 or 3-1 to Germany.

back from my ban hammer.

Portugal's loss is 100% on Fenando Santos' head.

Chile played the game with the option of penalties in mind. Portugal played to score a late goal without peanlties in mind.

Santos' choices for subs and kick order pins Portugal's loss 100% on him.

That is what they get for trying to be too cute with another "intelectual" as manager.

Chile out-coached Portugal. Plus Bravo was the man.

Chile has great track reacord with victories consisting penalties. Keep the final game scoreless against Germany and the cup is theirs.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting Chile plays expecting to go to PK, but I can guarantee you it's not the case.

Chile never parks the bus and always try to win during the 90' a game lasts.

The thing is, sometimes the opponent is strong as hell, sometimes the opponent park the bus without shame, which makes extremely difficult to score, and sometimes our attacking line just can't score even if their lives depend on it :/, despite creating several chances.

I can tell you, as a chilean, that also nobody here wants to go to the PK series, EVER!!!

While our players have shown to be great at it, it always has that level of uncertainty that makes your heart to be pumping like hell, almost like it is going to burst out of the chest.

That's not fun, dude :p

I hope we can beat Germany. If we don't make naive defensive mistakes, I'm confident we can do it, but for sure it will be super hard to achieve it. Germany players are overall, clearly faster and stronger than our players, also they play extremely well, that's a killer combination.

It will be a great game, that's for sure :)

I didn't say Chile exlussively plays for penalties; their offense takes lots of chances on shots on goal.

But, they keep the option open if it become unavoidable. They have surely praciced allot for it

I didn't say Chile exlussively plays for penalties; their offense takes lots of chances on shots on goal.

But, they keep the option open if it become unavoidable. They have surely praciced allot for it

Ah yeah, that's true and one of the lessons learned after Brasil defeated us in the last WC via PK.

Would be a nice surprise if we win this.

We just won the U-21 Euros against a highly favored Spain when (as far as I know) eight players who could have played in that U-21 team are in the Confed Cup squad instead.

So winning those two titles in the same week with basically two B-teams would be crazy.

Won't be able to watch the games tomorrow since I'll be heading out to Legoland with the family. I think Chile will take it though!

Top Bottom