• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 years ago today March 3rd 2017 one of the greatest games ever made was released

DonF

I loved it but I can clearly see it's flaws.
I loved the sense of adventure, the limited hand holding and the overall design of the game. The game's systems work towards creating an adventure.
The execution of this package is also beautiful. I loved the music and the sense of awe it creates.

But, I hated the repetitive look of the shrines and the big dungeons. Bosses all look the same, and the last boss is kinda disappointing. First phase is great but overall, way too easy. Lynels and the..."dragons"? Are the real bosses.
Also, the lack of items is a bummer. But the overall exploration is still magnificent.

Truly a one of a kind game. I hope 2 can fix the little issues this game has.

Also, climbing a huge mountain just to get a korok seed, is a puny reward.

I think BoTW is a another great example of Nintendo using tech and art direction. A stunning game and probably the greatest adventure game ever made. It's so rewarding coming up with creative solutions to problems and the act of purely exploring is legitimately a good time which most games fail miserably at. I rebought a Wii U to play BotW, and then a few months later I bought a Switch to play it again and then I've played it on PC via emulation(probably the best way to play it if you have the hardware and a Pro Controller).

Last edited:

Deft Beck

I honestly didn't even get past the first trial in this game. Felt too unfocused and repetitive. Didn't like the crafting and breaking mechanics.

754424d76513e82e9b54db3a59e781ff.gif
Today marks the 4th anniversary of the Legend of Zelda Breath pf the Wild, in my opinion one of the greatest games ever made and to me shows how exploration in an open world should be done. The sense of adventure this game invokes is something I personally have never experienced in an open world before, and the amount of freedom it offers is best in class. No game is perfect however, hyrule can use less rain and yes the weapon degradation is annoying and the lack of real dungeons sucked, although I didn't mind, but in spite of those annoyances this game is still one of the greats. The legend of zelda is my favorite gaming series and this game represents what a zelda world should be, free and open and I hope more games earn from it's open nature (no you asshat thinking I mean I want every open world game to have the protag climbing every surface and paragliding down everywhere, I just mean the world should be more open and you should have the choice to approach an objective in different ways like deus ex and dishonored but bigger). I have have high hopes for it's sequel and I believe Nintendo can pull it off and I would go so far as to say it might be their crowning achievement. So here is to BotW and to the 35th anniversary of the series.
Truly amazing game. I knew it would be great, but it blew me away. I put about 100 hours in on it on my switch then played it on an emulator on pc at 4k 60fps and was sooooo much better lol. really wish there was a switch pro. also i hate durability on weapons lol. still a 9.75/10 game for me and battles out with witcher 3 for game of decade!

Wunray

One of the most overrated games of all time. If this not your first zelda you should be ashamed. This zelda didn't even have dungeons.....playing it on master mode is an experience though.
You see There's this thing about opinions you see where you could think that and I could disagree.

Looking at some other comments some of you think I meant the greatest of all time, I know most of you didn't read the OP but at least read the thread title..... properly.

Nintendo fans have the lowest standards i ever see, just look at pokemon announcement ...

"one of greatest games ever made" yeah, the greatest and the emptiest
Yeah, it must be that. All that universal praise and acclaim from even non-Nintendo fans is just millions of people's low standards. Didn't you buy Anthem?

Last edited:

Philfrag

Banned
The world was impressive and your movement within it was awesome. For me that's where the positives end. I hope the next one just has more to it

Nintendo is a company that always seems like they're playing catch up. So many great IPs, so much wasted potential.

Although subjectivity should be implied, i see a lot of hurt feelings around here. So i'm going to have some fun and say that what i just stated is objective fact

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Damn, four years

By now, if was in SNES/Mega Drive era, we already have a next gen announcement. Nowadays, it feels like just a year or so

Andodalf

Banned
An almost perfect game, my only issue is that the rain was sometimes very frustrating, instead of you having to change your approach, you just had to wait it out or tele away and back.

This game is good, but so overrated. It feels like a prototype for a full Zelda game. Half the game is missing - proper dungeons.

It needs about 5 times as many enemy varieties, more tools to discover and use, and more stuff to discover than 120 identical looking shrines that only serve the purpose of a small bump in health or stamina.

I hope BotW 2 is this game.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
An almost perfect game, my only issue is that the rain was sometimes very frustrating, instead of you having to change your approach, you just had to wait it out or tele away and back.

If you level up your stamina and time the jumps correctly there wasnt much you couldnt climb, even with the rain.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Totally agree OP. I honestly feel a little bad for some of the people responding in a way that makes me think they couldn't get over themselves to enjoy the game. Also soon we will be at the 2 year anniversary of the greatest trailer of all time...

Trogdor1123

Couldn't get into it myself. I got it sitting downstairs and its ok, just nothing knocked my socks off like other people.

Termite

In my mid-30s I thought I'd never recapture the pure joy of gaming of my youth, but BotW changed that.

It's the only game I've ever took time off from work to play, which is saying something. It surpassed every single one of my expectations for it, again and again and again. Right when I thought the Zelda series had fallen into a rut that it wouldn't escape from, it broke free from those shackles in almost every direction at once.

Probably my favourite game of all time.

But basically I always thought that there are two types of Zelda fans - those who think the overworld is the "main game" and dungeons are chores you do to get back to the "main game", and those for whom the dungeons are the main appeal and the overworld is just how you get to the dungeons. For the first type, like me, BotW was the ultimate expression of what Zelda is. For the dungeon types, obviously, it didn't scratch their itch.

vkbest

In my opinion the most overrated game I played on my life, I couldn't finish after 40 hours, because I was to forcing myself to play. I think Genshin Impact is vastly superior on the most aspects.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
It'll probably be a long while before I revisit BOTW but I had a fantastic experience with it. I will say though, the game felt incredibly boring from the 20-30 hour mark and I left it for a bit. Came back, stuck with it and around 40 hours is when the game clicked and I just became enamored with it. I still have probably 10 shrines left and need to do the DLC but I'm very excited for the sequel. Not my favorite Zelda by a long shot but it is a fantastic game and the best thing that Nintendo could have done with the franchise. I hope the sequel has proper dungeons, caves to explore, and old school gadgets.

BlakeofT

I was expecting a Snipperclips thread.

On topic though... I like BotW. Think it's overrated but it's still pretty great. Sad that they took a lot of the gadgets away and the dungeons aren't as numerous and don't have as much variety.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Was playing Horizons on PS4 and Zelda at the same time and really preferred Zelda. Ended up beating Horizon but totally fell off Zelda. I need more of a pathway and story to keep me going. The weapon breaking didn't help either. My most hated gaming trope.

Boss Mog

I haven't played it because i refuse to pay nintendo's inflated hardware and software prices but I heard that weapons break after a few hits, if that's true, why the fuck would I ever want to play this?

BlackM1st

Banned
Big game for Nintendo, it's good that sometimes they are willing to invest some money. As for my personal experience - I don't have one. I can't get into any game where you're constantly breaking your weapons. I hate it in Yakuza, but at least in Yakuza you're almost always use your fists and weapons are mostly just a gimmicks.

lefty1117

Gold Member
A top 5 game of its generation IMO. Not without its detractors but what is? My top game of that generation is Red Dead Redemption 2, quite different in tone and setting but gave that same sense of openness. Before RDR2 came out I would probably have had BOTW as my top game of the generation.

oh...its true.

everyone that hates on it will mention the key words "Nintendo", "breaking weapons", "rain". But it certainly is the best game of all time. Maybe the best first 3 hrs of any videogame i've played. About 5 hrs into it, u start questioning "wait, is this game actually better than Ocarina?". And it was and it is

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Terrible story, uninspired boss fights and traversal mechanics that were more annoying than anything else. If this wasn't attached to the Zelda brand the scores would have been a lot lower and the criticisms given a lot more oxygen. I played the game from start to finish and can honestly say if it wasn't a Zelda title I might have quit halfway through.

. . .the Divine Beast dungeons were about the only interesting thing honestly.

MiguelItUp

Christ what a wreck of a first page, lmao.

I never finished the game and unfortunately got burnt out on it. But it did a lot of cool things! But man, I know I didn't not care for the weapon degradation system at ALL. I mean, it existing didn't bother me. But I felt like things broke way too soon and frequently.

I'm bummed as I was SURELY about 60-70% through before I just put it down and didn't pick it back up. I plan on giving it another go at some point.

Also, how has it been 4 years?! GOOD GOD.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I found Breath of the Wild very fun to play through, Hyrule under Ganon's control made me feel very anxious in a good way where I couldn't put down the controller a lot of other things too like building up your swords, taking minutes to explore, and the story really has it's own identity because you fall in love with the four main champions (Mipha, Daruk, Revali, Urbosa) and I give Nintendo a lot of credit on the game.

AJUMP23

Made for the WiiU. The WiiU had amazing games, it just didn't sell. I'm glad though because we got the switch due to the WiiU's failure.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Last of Us, Horizon, and Dark Souls. 3 of the most overrated games I've ever played, come at me!

Way to be a buzzkill.

I don't know. Fighting over which game is most overrated seems like a buzzkill of a conversation. But you're right, discuss whatever you like and I'll shut my clam.

I don't know. Fighting over which game is most overrated seems like a buzzkill of a conversation. But you're right, discuss whatever you like and I'll shut my clam.
Wasn't even arguing to begin with, but go ahead and start an argument of your own whilst doing the opposite of what you intended, derailing the thread even further.

That being said, Breath of the Wild is great nonetheless.

Nah. That would be one of the GTA games.
Stop that right now sir or your comment will be taken seriously, and I'll be very offended by what you find to be overrated.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Wasn't even arguing to begin with, but go ahead and start an argument of your own whilst doing the opposite of what you intended, derailing the thread even further.

That being said, Breath of the Wild is great nonetheless.
You weren't arguing? Is it better if I use the word "debating"? I don't know how you want me to classify your contention to his choice of most overrated game, but my point is the same either way, tbh.

Don't complain about being off-topic, you brought up The Last of Us.

I haven't played BOTW yet. I'm constantly disappointed with Zelda games after falling for the hype cycle. I have to assume it's me who doesn't get it. But I'm waiting for Switch Pro to come out so I can judge for myself.

Last edited:
Nah. That would be one of the GTA games.

You weren't arguing? Is it better if I use the word "debating"? I don't know how you want me to classify your contention to his choice of most overrated game, but my point is the same either way, tbh.

Don't complain about being off-topic, you brought up The Last of Us.

I haven't played BOTW yet. I'm constantly disappointed with Zelda games after falling for the hype cycle. I have to assume it's me who doesn't get it. But I'm waiting for Switch Pro to come out so I can judge for myself.
I mean no argument debate or anything, it's not that serious.

Top Bottom