• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Response To Cracked's "Lazy Guide to Writing Strong Female Characters" Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLDIER

Cracked recently put up a really interesting article that lists 6 of the common practices writers use for female main characters: http://www.cracked.com/article_2416...o-writing-strong-female-movie-characters.html

For those who want the short version, the criticisms listed are:

6. Sex trauma as backstory
5. Must be a tomboy
4. Powers/Abilities are used to help male lead
3. Cannot be leaders without also being bitchy
2. Their stories always revolve around a guy (hero or villain)
1. They can't look cool without humiliating a guy

This article listed a lot of pet peeves I've been having with recent female protagonists in most media, so it inspired me to make a thread where I attempt to list female leads that manage to subvert the majority of these criticisms. While the original article primarily focused on movie characters, I wanted to expand the topic a bit and allow examples from all forms of media.

Here's a list of some of my favorite leading ladies to see how they score against this newest metric: Again, the scoring system is based on how they subvert the points in the article. If they don't fall under any of the 6 listed criticisms, their score would be 6/6. If they exhibited ALL of them, it would be 0/6.

1. Tifa and Aerith (Final Fantasy VII)

aerith_and_tifa_by_kracykfhf.jpg

Score: 5 out of 6

Right off the bat, both of FFVII's heroines lose a point due to their romantic involvement with Cloud, the main character. Many of their actions in the story revolve around their desire to help Cloud, as well as their personal feelings toward him. That said, they aren't entirely dictated by Cloud: when Aerith decides to break from the party in order to find a way to stop Sephiroth's plans, it was her done on her own accord and not because Cloud told her to. Likewise, Tifa's decision to join AVALANCHE could have been due to Sephiroth destroying her village and murdering her father, but her vendetta rests more toward the company that created him (Shinra) rather than seeking vengeance on one individual.

While it could be argued that Aerith is "girlier" than Tifa, I certainly wouldn't classify Tifa as a tomboy. Her interactions with Barret could also fall into no. 1, but it's seen more as comedic banter among friends and less about making Barret look incompetent. Tifa also briefly takes up the role of party leader, and doesn't exhibit any of the traits of no. 3.

2. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider Reboot)

tomb-raider.jpg

Score: 6 out of 6

Reboot Lara Croft has earned a lot of praise, and for good reason. While she does have a male role model in the form of Roth, she isn't spurred into action by him; at best he is her moral support, a father figure, offering a helping hand for Lara while she's at her lowest point, but nothing in the game's story suggests she couldn't pick herself up without him.

Unfortunately she loses 2 points in Rise of the Tomb Raider, where her role in the story is directly revolving around a male character (Jacob), not to mention the fact that she took on the mission due to an obsessive drive to clear her father's name. Also Sam isn't in the game. Fuck Rise's story, is what I'm getting at.

Original Lara Croft would probably fall under a 6/6 too, but I didn't play the original games so I can't say for certain.

3. Major Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell)

08dc989e7d02ba5e56127b2ce933d695.jpg

Score: 6 out of 6

The Major is a good example of a female leader who is tough, but not nearly as bitchy compared to other soldier-type ladies like Sarah Connor (at one point she treats her squad to a strip club). She also balances between being a tough-as-nails soldier but still takes pride in her femininity (despite criticisms by fellow partner Batou who insist she's closer to a male, and should choose a suitable cyborg chassis to illustrate this). She is also very open about her sexuality (both with male and female partners) and is always dedicated to her missions. She is also shown to be the most capable in her squad, but it's never at the expense of making any of her male cohorts look worse.

The one instance where you could argue a 5 out of 6 is Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig, since the main antagonist of that story is a male character who
turned out to share a romantic history with the Major
, but this revelation wasn't known to either of them until the final act.

4. The Holy Quintet (Madoka Magica)

madoka-magica3.jpg

Score: Variable

Madoka fans have often argued who the main character of the series is, so let's just analyze all of them at once.

One of the shining examples of a well-written all-female cast, the megucas of Madoka Magica easily subvert all six of the article's criteria....with the exception of Sayaka. Driven by her love for a male character, much of Sayaka's actions as well as her decision to become a meguca in the first place are the result of Kyosuke's influence in her life. Her being a by-the-numbers tomboy also brings her overall score to 3 out of 6.

Though this is hardly a negative as she is still my favorite character by far in the series....and also objectively Best Girl.

Kyouko's story also started because of a male influence (her father), and she would arguably fall into the tomboy category too, so 4 out of 6 for her.

Homura's score would also be drastically affected if
Madoka was a male

Anyway, I thought this would be a fun thread, so I'd be interested to see other people's choices. Again, I'm modifying the original article to analyze female characters from all forms of media, so feel free to list comics, videogames, film, etc.

5. Must be a tomboy

Bayonetta doesn't have a sex trauma backstory.
She's not really a tomboy.
Her powers are her own.
She takes the lead in the games without being bitchy. She's witty, instead.
Her story isn't around a male (I mean, the whole eye thing is situated from her mom and not her dad, sorta). And the final boss is a female, so, I don't think it counts.
Bayonetta humiliates EVERYONE. See: Joys.

So she did pretty well!

Here's my own "Lazy Guide to Writing Strong Female Characters"

1. Write a complex character with ambitions, talents, and flaws. Do not consider the character's gender or any societal norms about said gender while forming her identity.

2. Make sure this character has ladyparts.

You did it!

---

I also take issue with the 2, as well as the idea that heterosexual romance is inherently a negative for female characters.

Most stories in general revolve around a person's relationship with another person, whether amicable or antagonistic. More female antagonists would be nice, but it's not going to change how I view a female MC.

Examples of equal heterosexual romances are still fairly rare, and the true feminist ideal calls for the normalization of such relationships, not their abolishment.

SOLDIER

5. Must be a tomboy

Her powers are her own.
Her story isn't around a male (I mean, the whole eye thing is situated from her mom and not her dad, sorta). And the final boss is a female, so, I don't think it counts.

So she did pretty well!

Good choice.

Bayonetta 2 is kind of centered around a male
her father
but that's a mid-act plot point. Her original mission is to rescue Jeanne.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Gotta say, FF was always great about strong female characters. Started the trend with Terra and never skipped a beat.

The list seems to apply only to movies, really. It's pretty hard to make the story revolve on somebody else if you're playing the protagonist.

XIV's Minfilia is a very rare subversion to "Bitchy Leader", though.
Lightning is a leader, but she definitely qualifies as bitchy.

rrs

1. Write a complex character with ambitions, talents, and flaws. Do not consider the character's gender or any societal norms about said gender while forming her identity.

You did it!
heck, you don't even lady parts anymore that's so 90's

You did it!

I don't think the first point nails it. You can write strong and great characters which are also products of their time.

zeemumu

Does Princess Peach get a 5/6?

Not a tomboy, no traumatic history, her abilities are usually independent from Mario altogether, really isn't bitchy, and does she ever look cool? I guess in Super Princess Peach and the sports games but it doesn't require humiliating a guy.

I absolutely hate metrics like this. Even though I got banned before for saying this but putting a metric system in place that somehow evaluates how inclusive something is is just the wrong way to do things. It ignores the fact that character writing and development in the story are far more important than how many bloody men they talk to or if they have a love interest or not.

I always think about Gravity and the Bechdel test, only one women in the film so it's sexist then?

Sure these can be used as talking points but to use it like it's a universal truth? As if every single movie can just be compared against a check list and you know everything you need to about it? Not to mention the fact that bloody no one actually even has a clue what a strong female lead is because everyone has their own opinion about it.

I absolutely hate metrics like this. Even though I got banned before for saying this but putting a metric system in place that somehow evaluates how inclusive something is is just the wrong way to do things. It ignores the fact that.

Character writing and development in the story are far more important than how many bloody men they talk to or if they have a love interest or not.

I always think about Gravity and the Bechdel test, only one women in the film so it's sexist then?

Sure these can be used as talking points but to use it like it's a universal truth? As if every single movie can just be compared against a check list and you know everything you need to about it? Not to mention the fact that bloody no one actually even has a clue what a strong female lead is because everyone has their own opinion about it.

Why do so many people use the Bechdel test incorrectly? It was never meant to evaluate individual films. It's more about how many films fail the test, and what that says about the industry at large.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I cringed at OP's list. Lara Croft hahahahaha... terribly written character.

This list isn't to check if your favourite character "passes" or not and score them, it's to observe trends of bad/lazy writing and help writers avoid common pitfalls and clichés. Way to miss the point...

Not a tomboy, no traumatic history, her abilities are usually independent from Mario altogether, really isn't bitchy, and does she ever look cool? I guess in Super Princess Peach but it doesn't require humiliating a guy.
But she's not "strong", she's a damsel always getting rescued...

Edit:
Why do so many people use the Bechdel test incorrectly? It was never meant to evaluate individual films. It's more about how many films fail the test, and what that says about the industry at large.
YUP

Hey I don't like this thing from a humor website. So I'm just going to list some female characters and completely ignore the intent of the article.

MartyStu

You did it!

---

I also take issue with the 2, as well as the idea that heterosexual romance is inherently a negative for female characters.

Most stories in general revolve around a person's relationship with another person, whether amicable or antagonistic. More female antagonists would be nice, but it's not going to change how I view a female MC.

Examples of equal heterosexual romances are still fairly rare, and the true feminist ideal calls for the normalization of such relationships, not their abolishment.

Artificially divorcing a characters gender or relation to societal roles is also wrong. Your character ends up feeling too sterile, and engineered.

The best that can be said is that it is better than the opposite.

Nowhere does it mention that the test was only supposed to be used like that. The first time it was even shown was used to evaluate individual movies. It's just a basic and flawed test plain and simple and does not guarantee anything about a movie.

5. Must be a tomboy

Her powers are her own.

So she did pretty well!

Eh, Bayonetta's story (in the first game at least) definitely revolves around Father Balder. He's pretty much the entire reason everything in the story happens, from Bayonetta's lost memories, the Witch Hunts, and resurrecting Jublieus and siccing angles on Bayonetta to even Cereza being in the future. Her atttitude doesn't really revolve around him, she doesn't even really know he exists until near the end of the game, but her story absolutely does.

Still, 5/6 is pretty good for video game writing.

Where is Lara Croft's sex trauma? I don't remember this in any of the original games and there was that part in the reboot that was rumored to be actual rape but was only like a second of a dude running his hand down her side before she fucked him up and escaped.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was understanding the scoring method backwards.

Not a tomboy, no traumatic history, her abilities are usually independent from Mario altogether, really isn't bitchy, and does she ever look cool? I guess in Super Princess Peach and the sports games but it doesn't require humiliating a guy.

"Awwwww, did I win?"

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That meguca write up is one of the weebest things I've read recently.

Baru Cormorant: 1

6. Half point, technically she's traumatized because her gay polyamorous parents were persecuted by the gubments
5. Negative
4. Negative
3. Hmmm, half point because she's kind of a jerk (understandably)
2. Negative
1. Negatifve

Shara Komayd: 2

6. Negative
5. Negative
4. Negative
3. Yeah she's kind of a bitch
2. Hmm, half point because she's fighting male gods and cultists for the most part
1. Half point because she humiliates a male god in her "cool" moment

Tinuviel: 3

6. Negative
5. Negative
4. She's usually helping out Beren with her elf powers
3. I don't think she's bitchy
2. Yeah, Beren and Morgoth (and also Thingol to a lesser extent)
1. She definitely humiliates Morgoth, makes him look like a scrub

SOLDIER

You did it!

The problem here is that it often leads to the character's femininity being sacrificed (see the tomboy criticism). Nothing against badass ladies, but they shouldn't all have buzzcuts and have a complete lack of a sex drive.

Gotta say, FF was always great about strong female characters. Started the trend with Terra and never skipped a beat.

The list seems to apply only to movies, really. It's pretty hard to make the story revolve on somebody else if you're playing the protagonist.

I wanted to list Terra, but she kind of fails 2 of the 6 criteria. While she is never led on by one specific individual, she is frequently passed around multiple male characters who want to use her power for either good or bad (Banon, Kefka, Locke, Edgar, Ramuh, Maduin, etc).

Yuna would be a 5/6: she doesn't need Tidus to tell her how to use her power, and she was already resolved to complete her journey without him. She's still tied down to her father though, and often cites the pressure of being a daughter to the Summoner that saved the world prior.

Lightning would be a 3/6, since she would qualify as a tomboy (arguably), a bitchy leader (definitely), and frequently punches her male cohorts in the face (Snow, Sazh). The entirety of Lightning Returns is basically painting Lightning as this incredible badass and literal goddess while everyone around her is utterly useless.

I think Jessica Jones hits all of those??

Yes, she is specifically mentioned in the article, and would be a 0/6.

Keep in mind this list isn't to say that the female characters are bad if they don't follow these metrics. It's just showing the common (and tired) trends writers are taking with their push for more female leads.

UrbanRats

I think the Bechdel Test is more meaningful as a statistical measurement, but it was initially used as a judgement of specific movies.

That's just the frame for the strip's story, they don't really analyze any one movie, and just propose the idea at large.
Even the Alien bit is made out to be a punchline, as in "the last film i watched was a long time ago, because so few pass the test".
So the joke itself is about the statistical reality.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

You did it!

Not necessary, #2 is not. To do that throws out all the important gender identification that can happen with a character and even that is assuming they're a binary gender.

Also consider what kind of otherkin.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Eh, Bayonetta's story (in the first game at least) definitely revolves around Father Balder. He's pretty much the entire reason everything in the story happens, from Bayonetta's lost memories, the Witch Hunts, and resurrecting Jublieus and siccing angles on Bayonetta to even Cereza being in the future. Her atttitude doesn't really revolve around him, she doesn't even really know he exists until near the end of the game, but her story absolutely does.

Still, 5/6 is pretty good for video game writing.
That's like not remotely the same. The whole point of that trope is to remove the female characters agency such that their motivations solely revolve around the guy so that to the player/reader male imporance is still paramount. That whole concept really doesn't work if it's a twist near the end of the game whose importance is negated shortly after it was revealed. The game did not largely revolve around Balder, he was the chess master but the portion of the game that he is even relevant in is tiny. He was a plot device to resurect jubileus and provide bayonetta some extra backstory but lumen wages as a while didn't play much of a part.

What about this little lady - probably my fav heroine in the last 10 years (maybe save for Max from Life is Strange)

tumblr_ndd5wkXBcg1tt3v7wo1_1280.gif

By my count, Wendy got a 1.5/6

SOLDIER

I believe the Overwatch ladies would all be 6/6 with the exception of Zarya (tomboy) and Widowmaker
implied rape? I'm not familiar with her lore but I've heard it brought up more than once

dramatis

Right off the bat, both of FFVII's heroines lose a point due to their romantic involvement with Cloud, the main character. Many of their actions in the story revolve around their desire to help Cloud, as well as their personal feelings toward him. That said, they aren't entirely dictated by Cloud: when Aerith decides to break from the party in order to find a way to stop Sephiroth's plans, it was her done on her own accord and not because Cloud told her to. Likewise, Tifa's decision to join AVALANCHE could have been due to Sephiroth destroying her village and murdering her father, but her vendetta rests more toward the company that created him (Shinra) rather than seeking vengeance on one individual.

While it could be argued that Aerith is "girlier" than Tifa, I certainly wouldn't classify Tifa as a tomboy. Her interactions with Barret could also fall into no. 1, but it's seen more as comedic banter among friends and less about making Barret look incompetent. Tifa also briefly takes up the role of party leader, and doesn't exhibit any of the traits of no. 3.
I strongly disagree with your assessment of Tifa. Her background is written as one of 'joining AVALANCHE for X reason', but by the end of FF7's main plot her character had completely devolved to 'caring for and supporting Cloud'. The development of Tifa's character ended up revolving around Cloud all the same. When did AVALANCHE factor into Tifa's "story" as she "developed"? When did her personal motivations outside of Cloud dictate anything disc 2 or disc 3?

A small throwaway bit of background doesn't save the character. I don't give exceptions or praises to Lightning because her background is that of Cocoon guardian soldier, and therefore her motivation is totally not completely centered on XYZ (in Lightning's case the problems are more than that).

Kinyou

I never got the impression that charlize theron's character in Mad Max was raped. That's a hell of a reach.
I don't think there is anything specific out there. Afaik does someone in the comic (written by George Miller) speculate that she was one of Immortan wives but that's not really confirmed or denied.

The problem here is that it often leads to the character's femininity being sacrificed (see the tomboy criticism). Nothing against badass ladies, but they shouldn't all have buzzcuts and have a complete lack of a sex drive.

I'm not really a fan of conventional portrayals of femininity in the first place, but I get where you're coming from. That said, I'd argue a sex drive falls into "ambition" and is pretty gender-independent.

Not necessary, #2 is not. To do that throws out all the important gender identification that can happen with a character and even that is assuming they're a binary gender.

I'm not sure what you mean. If we're talking about making strong female characters, then we're operating with an implied gender binary. Gender can be hidden, sure, but in the end the character still has to be physically female for this conversation to apply to them.

"Strong trans characters" is a different, but similarly important conversation to have though.

SOLDIER

I strongly disagree with your assessment of Tifa. Her background is written as one of 'joining AVALANCHE for X reason', but by the end of FF7's main plot her character had completely devolved to 'caring for and supporting Cloud'. The development of Tifa's character ended up revolving around Cloud all the same. When did AVALANCHE factor into Tifa's "story" as she "developed"? When did her personal motivations outside of Cloud dictate anything disc 2 or disc 3?

A small throwaway bit of background doesn't save the character. I don't give exceptions or praises to Lightning because her background is that of Cocoon guardian soldier, and therefore her motivation is totally not completely centered on XYZ (in Lightning's case the problems are more than that).

Yes, she loses a point because much of her role in the story is centered around her relationship with Cloud.

But unlike Terra or Yuna, she doesn't serve as using her abilities to assist Cloud, the hero, because he spurred her into action. Her choices are entirely her own: heck,she's the one who hired Cloud to join AVALANCHE in the first place. She chooses to follow him rather than be called into action. There's a common misconception with FFVII fans that Tifa is Cloud's female whipping-boy, but in reality it's the other way around. Heck, AC's third act is all because of Tifa telling Cloud to get off his mopey ass and man up.

SOLDIER

Thought of another 6/6:

Originally I thought she'd only be a 6 if she doesn't romance Warren, but then I realized that Warran doesn't factor into Max's story either way. Her strongest moral support is Chloe (and you can interpret their relationship however you want), and she makes her own decisions with virtually no influence from Warren regardless of how you choose to play out their relationship.

anaron

Tifa is way too much of a botched character to be listed.

But this idea of a "strong female character" often translates into the worst kind of character: boring

Thought of another 6/6:

Originally I thought she'd only be a 6 if she doesn't romance Warren, but then I realized that Warran doesn't factor into Max's story either way. Her strongest moral support is Chloe (and you can interpret their relationship however you want), and she makes her own decisions with virtually no influence from Warren regardless of how you choose to play out their relationship.

I would say closer to 4/6

She's a tomboy
And she humiliates a guy(many guys in fact, and I'm sure somebody cheered when she did)

lazygecko

Ellen Ripley is an A tier character by any metric. Sigourney Weaver is a national treasure.

Probably because her role wasn't specifically written for a female actor in the first place. Kinda sad that this has to be the prerequisite to not fall into any of those all-too-common pitfalls.

4Tran

Cracked is trying to look at female characterization at the systemic level. It's trying to see the common ways shallow characters emerge when a writer consciously tries to create a "strong female character", so it's more about poor writing than anything else. As such, I don't know if there's all that much point in taking one of your favorites and trying to see how she compares. I agree with the posters pointing out that it's similar to how the Bechdel Test gets misused.

But this idea of a "strong female character" often translates into the worst kind of character: boring
To be fair, Tifa isn't the strong female character in Final Fantasy VII. That's Aerith's role.

zeemumu

Alice from Resident Evil is in the clear, except for the male villain bit.

She might be a tomboy, but it's more that she's hardened by her batshit insane post apocalyptic reality.

Ironically everyone in that series exists to make her look cool.

Jill throw a match at gasoline? Match goes out. Cue Alice to save day.

You have a gun and could kill the bad guy yourself? Throw that shit to Alice.

Alice about to sacrifice herself? Good thing Alice was there to save Alice.

It'd be fine but it makes the other main characters seem incompetent

SOLDIER

I would say closer to 4/6

She's a tomboy

Again, the tomboy classification isn't always easily classified (like short-haired anime girls or buzzcut western heroines). In Max's case I consider her more on the girly side based on her aesthetics (her room, her notebook, her stuffed animals). Comparatively, Chloe is totally a tomboy.

And she humiliates a guy(many guys in fact, and I'm sure somebody cheered when she did)

She humiliates girls too (specifically her rival). These sequences are meant to showcase Max's cool powers, not her gender.

Cool drive-by post. Went by so fast you missed the point of the thread.

Media

I feel like the cracked writer might have a point, and their number one reason really irks me. Show women are capable by having them best capable men might be a great start. The Black Widow example is flawed, however, as that scene was played for humor. If it had been like, Steve bumbling around while she kicked major ass it'd have a point, but Happy's whole character could be described as bumbling, and him taking out that one guy was a personal triumph. But at the same time the article is a bit nitpicky. Most movies, nay, most stories revolve around a love interest of some sort, so decrying a strong female lead as being motivated by male influence is a bit much.

Overall, yeah it seems that strong female characters follow a template and that should change. I want a kickass woman who dresses in pink and frills, that would be awesome. Hopefully we are getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom