• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ada Wong's new VA gets thousands of hate comments, disables Instagram comments

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sometimes I don't know what's up with people on the internet and being so effortlessly unhinged.

Even assuming her performance was genuinely AWFUL in quality, it wouldn't even cross my mind to start stalking a voice actress all across her social media just to tell her "Your work sucks and you should feel bad for it".

Let's even assume it was something I was TERRIBLY invested on (which is vaguely unlikely in itself) I'd take my complaints to the publisher asking to re-record some bad lines. I wouldn't start to PESTER paid actors that just did their job.

Has nothing to do wtih the internet. Those people would find other avenues to showcase their mental illness. I mean look at ResetEra.

Aranea

Her voice wasn't good at all for Ada, Capcom should have know this but still went ahead and gave her the role. Sucks that people harassed her.

ungalo

Usually i like english voices more but on this one french voices were so much ahead. I think she's not the only one that didn't do a good job.

SEGA_2012

I don't know why they care about the voice acting in RE, Capcom changes the voice actors so much that it is impossible to get a connection with them. I stopped caring when they removed RCS from Chris.

Anyway, fuck all those people being rude to Ada's VA.

DaGwaphics

I wonder what these people thought about the voice acting in the old PS1 directors cut.

That original Jill cracks me up every time, Berry wasn't too much better. Not exactly Oscar worthy. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Power Pro

to hire actors of the same ethnicities as the characters

[]

Nobody gives a fuck about your ethnicity If you do a good job.
This is my real take away from this. Like are you fucking serious? This shit is so stupid. America has got to stop with this bull shit, and need to realize that hiring based on race for any reason is the very definition of racism.

You think any time they dub a Hollywood movie for China or something, that they are finding white people or black people to dub the characters in those movies? No, they're using other chinese people to speak Mandarin or Cantonese ffs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I made a search and this is the first I found:

First things first, it's not like there was ever much consistency to begin with, given than several actresses had the role over the years.
Second, while admittedly this is a small sample, she doesn't sound particularly better or worse than most of them in this clip.

I like the OG RE4 actress the best amongst all of them, but that could be my nostalgia talking. Why couldn't they use her again?

What can I say, human beings can be garbage.
albert einstein quote GIF by Fizzdom.com

vpance

I made a search and this is the first I found:

First things first, it's not like there was ever much consistency to begin with, given than several actresses had the role over the years.
Second, while admittedly this is a small sample, she doesn't sound particularly better or worse than most of them in this clip.

Just going off this one line here it just sounds a lot deeper and with a different tone than the way she's usually voiced. So yeah fans gonna complain about it good or bad.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
She is not fitting after fantastic re2 remake voice. But it’s not her fault. It’s just bad caring. She did a good job

Her VA is very hit and miss in the game, and in fact, the onus is on CAPCOM to direct her and oversee VA quality control in the game, so the turds ragging on her really should be directing their ire at CAPCOM.

decisions

Guess I’m crazy but I thought Lily Gao has given Ada her best voice yet. She sounds cold, heartless, and conniving.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
imagine harassment just because you dont like the VA.

these people should do other things instead of playing video games.

*CAPCOM replaced Jolene Anderson (Ada's RE2 Remake voice) with Lily because Jolene joined a Union and CAPCOM decided to go non-union as well as going on an initiative to hire actors of the same ethnicities as the characters - applicable for all of their games from here on out.

Using racial social justice as an excuse to pay lower non-union wages is peak 2023 corporation behavior.

Last edited:
That said, I still think having to match voice actors to the ethnicity of a character is one of the stupidest things we got out of wokeness.

It’s because people don’t realize how white washed everything was, It is an extreme reaction to an extreme problem. This at least gives other people of other ethnic backgrounds a chance at getting jobs, especially in these type of industries.

Bashing the voice actor is just stupid and one of the many reasons “gamers” still get a bad rep.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

thought the new voice sounds phoned in, poor for Ada's character, but just suck it up and do something else than harrassing the voice actress on social media that's pathetic

tbh if i worked on the industry i wouldn't even be promoting on social media why would anyone want the attention of the "fans" 🤨

ssringo

I wonder what these people thought about the voice acting in the old PS1 directors cut.

That original Jill cracks me up every time, Berry wasn't too much better. Not exactly Oscar worthy. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The original is so bad it's good. The worst thing to be is "meh" and forgetable; which is what RE4R Ada is (aside from having to follow a very well liked RE2R Ada).

That said she has hardly any screen time in the main game so it's not like we get much of a chance for her to grow on us. Best case scenario is she does good in Separate Ways.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I just can't imagine getting worked up enough about a VO in a video game to want to post that kind of shit.

You'd like to think that at some point, anyone who did would take a good, long, hard look at themselves and do something about it. Sad as fuck.

skneogaf

I didn't notice it was different until I watched the youtube video comparing, the lady in 2 remake definitely is better but meh, as long as Leon is correct I don't care.

Neff

I honestly didn't realise how 'bad' she was supposed to be.

Ada has always had a flat, indifferent persona attached to her in terms of performance and I didn't notice anything different in the RE4 remake.

I guess this is little more than the latest chapter of gamers being entitled, antagonistic scum lords.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just going off this one line here it just sounds a lot deeper and with a different tone than the way she's usually voiced. So yeah fans gonna complain about it good or bad.
It doesn't have that comically over the top sultry assassin voice. Can't please everyone, but hope to god you don't piss off the overly sensitive, overly vocal crowd with bad manners.

A lot of deranged people on the internet. If you really want to see some deranged takes/viewpoints just go on far off and niche corners of the internet like 4Chan's Pol or Resetera. Hell, this place NeoGaf before the great split was a also a looney bin.

On the subject of the voice actor, I haven't played the game yet, but I want bad voice acting in all of the RE games just like the 1996 RE 1 game. It adds a quirky charm that I just love, brings me back to that awesome time period of my life. Sadly, all of the new RE games after 1 actually has decent voice acting.
\

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I will never understand this mentality. I had no problem with the voice actress. I thought she was cool, sexy and charming. But even if i did, i would never harrass them on twitter or in public. I hate Prometheus, i am not going to find and tweet insults at Ridley Scott ffs.

Tweet to Capcom if you must. They are the ones who hired her. Their directors told her to act a certain way. Deliver lines a certain way. They are the decision makers. If I have a problem with TLOU2's PC port, I am not hurling insults at Neil Druckman. especially when ND is on twitter. Make your voices heard but not like this. Be harsh if you have to, but never make it personal.

This makes everyone look bad.

Madonis

It's unimpressive as a voice performance but nothing too horrible or anything.

I blame the voice director for not working with her to get a better performance or, failing that, casting someone else.

There's absolutely no need to go bother her directly though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom