• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astral Chain is getting review bombed on metacritic due to it's Switch exclusivity

highrider

Banned
People should be giving Nintendo props because they were smart enough to know Platinum games had value and was a good fit for them. Astral Chain is their best game in terms of story and production value, and I’m sure Nintendo’s support fostered that.

Katsura

This makes me want to buy the game even though i suck at this genre and i have yet to play anymore than the first few stages of Bayonetta

Reactions: Isa

MagnesG

Banned
Astral Chain has also a more tactical approach in its gameplay, a little bit different with full action combat like DMCs or Bayo. Really, you don't lose that much when the game is 30fps, stable with rare dibs.

Isa

I hope there weren't any Metacritic contract bonuses for P* as it seems many devs seem to be shafted by those arrangements. I too thought it was a mix of both it being exclusive as well as the negativity surround the police. Regardless I hope they do well through this as its a great game.

I've been loving my Switch since launch 'cause Nintendo keeps delivering unique and varied experiences. I'm kind of in awe that there are those who'd want no exclusives. Essentially no reason to invest in anything ever. One of the benefits of competition is the search for new directions, ideas, and experiences. I think its not just children who get upset (as a child I had to make do with what I had too), but also manchildren. I know quite a few people who refuse to buy a Switch or another console for whatever their list of excuses may be. In the end the only one really missing out is them for not getting over their pride. And yes I am aware that not everyone is well off enough to afford another console but that's the nature of choosing and conforming with the consequences of ones decisions.

I hope there weren't any Metacritic contract bonuses for P* as it seems many devs seem to be shafted by those arrangements. I too thought it was a mix of both it being exclusive as well as the negativity surround the police. Regardless I hope they do well through this as its a great game.

Doesn't seem like they've ever had that shoved on them, at least publicly. Platinum thankfully seems to be given free reign when working with Nintendo to just make what they want, regardless of performance or critical reception. The Wonderful 101 being a great example of that. The only partner I can think of that could've held bonuses behind review scores would be Activision, when they made Transformers Devastation.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Xilium

I feel like I'm missing the part where this is due to exclusivity. It seems like people are just making that assumption because "someone can't possibly give this game a 0". But user reviews all skew to the extremes. It's always 0/1 - "worst thing I've ever played" or 9/10 - "literally the best game ever."

Reading through a few of the negative reviews, it seems like people are taking issue with framerate drops, the graphics in general, and not liking the combat.

MagnesG

Banned
I feel like I'm missing the part where this is due to exclusivity. It seems like people are just making that assumption because "someone can't possibly give this game a 0". But user reviews all skew to the extremes. It's always 0/1 - "worst thing I've ever played" or 9/10 - "literally the best game ever."

Reading through a few of the negative reviews, it seems like people are taking issue with framerate drops, the graphics in general, and not liking the combat.
Wrong game?
ycXBZQM.png
"918"
User reviews are far between. Framerate drops are stable as ever, resolutions are 900p most of the time.

TLZ

Banned
Do they have proof of "review bombing" because of exclusivity? What if they're all, or most of them, legit disgruntled users? I see a good number comparing it to Nier and Bayonetta, which they say are better games. They're also complaining about the 30fps (maybe lower?) in fast combat.

Also, can we call the 100s of 10s from people who either haven't played it, or plain hyping it, immature as well? If it's true, they're no different. Maybe we should call them review shiners or rocketeers. Duno.

Anyway, if true, this is nothing new anyway. To me, both cancel each other out, and we're left with proper non 10 and 0 scores. So maybe 6 is a proper fit? Maybe you're just mad it's a 6 because you think of it too highly? 6 is above average btw. That's not bad in my book. But many consider this equivalent to a 0.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Do they have proof of "review bombing" because of exclusivity? What if they're all, or most of them, legit disgruntled users? I see a good number comparing it to Nier and Bayonetta, which they say are better games. They're also complaining about the 30fps (maybe lower?) in fast combat.

Also, can we call the 100s of 10s from people who either haven't played it, or plain hyping it, immature as well? If it's true, they're no different. Maybe we should call them review shiners or rocketeers. Duno.

Anyway, if true, this is nothing new anyway. To me, both cancel each other out, and we're left with proper non 10 and 0 scores. So maybe 6 is a proper fit? Maybe you're just mad it's a 6 because you think of it too highly? 6 is above average btw. That's not bad in my book. But many consider this equivalent to a 0.

Oh brother. Putting in value in a score made up of only 10s and 0s is dumb. It doesn't even matter if there are more 10s or 0s. 99% of those scores are all to fulfill an agenda and most have not even played the game.

User score means absolutely nothing - good or bad.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Current user scores >
17 negative reviews out of 1188.
30 x 9 pages of positive reviews out of 1611.
More like insecure users I'd say.

odRdbfe.png

R8TUV5N.png

EkG3Wb2.png

It is sad because this is a great, new IP that needs to grow. It had so much potential that I really can't rationalize that people had deflect this just because of their fuckboy attitude.

Last edited:

Why are almost all user ratings concentrated in hundreds in positive or negative, while only a few in in mixed?

Game receives 9/10 mostly from reviewers who have also played Nier and Bayo, and are aware of framepace. But butthurt "fans" think no other system but their own deserves any game in existance, so the game is not 5 (mixed) but rather 0 (negative).

Yeah, and they're totally comparing it to Nier for all the "right" reasons.
Nxn2BZM.png

MagnesG

Banned
that doesnt make it 60 fps, and in way shape or form it would look worse on pc, ps4 or xb1.
If they feel that entitled then they should be the one to pitch and fund the game. This entry was supposed to be a fantasy setup but Ninty called it to become a sci-fi. Such a dumb thing to say. Why not all games comes out on PC then? Bloodborne for example, was stuck on an underpowered console with crappy and more unstable framerate than AC.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
that doesnt make it 60 fps, and in way shape or form it would look worse on pc, ps4 or xb1.
Lots of game is not 60FPS on PS4/X1, doesn’t make those games bad. The combat system for Astral Chain made 30FPS in mind and it works out great.

Shifty

This makes me want to buy the game even though i suck at this genre and i have yet to play anymore than the first few stages of Bayonetta
Well for what it's worth this is by far and away the most accessible character action game Platinum have ever made.

It's a lot less stringent than Bayo difficulty-wise, and even lets you play without letter ranks telling you that you suck if that's your bag.

Last edited:

DonF

Lots of game is not 60FPS on PS4/X1, doesn’t make those games bad. The combat system for Astral Chain made 30FPS in mind and it works out great.
yeah but most games that are multiplat run worse on switch. Its not like the game is using anything switch specific. I applaud nintendo for sticking with platinum games. But lets be real, all nintendo exclusives games from platinum would look and perform better on ps4/xb1 and pc.

yeah but most games that are multiplat run worse on switch. Its not like the game is using anything switch specific. I applaud nintendo for sticking with platinum games. But lets be real, all nintendo exclusives games from platinum would look and perform better on ps4/xb1 and pc.
This! And why stop at Platinum?
Who the *#@% thought of having BotW on Switch is better than releasing it on Pro?! Is Nintendo stupid? Why did't they release BotW or Xenogears 2 exclusively on PS4Pro? I hope they've learned their lesson and have Prime 4 exclusive release on PS5!!! Otherwise I'll punch my koopa plushy!

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
And all console exclusives will perform better on PC, with that logic console shouldn’t have exclusive because all games will perform better on PC.

oagboghi2

Are you seriously this dumb. Read the negative reviews. They are obviously not worth their salt.

And every PS4/XB game would run better on PC. Cut the shit dude, this is console fanboyism. Not concern about the actual game.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I wish it was on ps4 as that is my preferred console, pc is second for games, and switch is 3rd for games and even then just for a few exclusives that will never ever end up anywhere else like links awakening.

Chances are this will be a game I grab later cheap on sale or used off ebay as I am never in a rush to play games on my switch really. Ever since I boxed up my xbox box one s and put it in the store room the switch is now my least used system.

xMxHx

Neo Member
It's sad to see Nintendo engaging in anti-consumer policies and buying exclusives. Gamers should have the choice to where they can play their games.
It's sad to see sony engaging in anti-consumer policies and buying exclusives. i should have the choice to play bloodborne on the go

TLZ

Banned
Are you seriously this dumb. Read the negative reviews. They are obviously not worth their salt.
First of all, do not call me dumb.

Like I said, just as much as there are people giving a game a 0, there are those others who give it a perfect 10 when it's far from it. So to me they cancel each other out. And this isn't exclusive to this game. You can say the same for most, if not all games.

And yes, I've read a few negative comments and gave my opinion based on them. I neither have the time nor the energy to go through every single negative comment. Also, not all those scores have comments.

Yeah, and they're totally comparing it to Nier for all the "right" reasons.
Nxn2BZM.png
That just tells me they're not happy with the performance issues and limitations.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Need to play the game a bit more. It's pretty good but I'm still invested in Control right now.

FStubbs

All the people whining about it being better on PS4 - sure, when I can play the PS4 literally anywhere. On my TV, on the go, on an airplane, etc.

TLZ

Banned
So you've played it then?

Not being on the console they want it on is not a limitation, and a game built around being 30FPS instead of 60FPS is not performance issues.
No I haven't played it. Not until it's on sale. So I can't judge now.

But I'm not sure what that has to do with me. It's the many giving a game a perfect 10. It can be their experience, or it can be completely false, as we've seen with every game. It's the same with the 0 score. Someone might find a game complete shit, no different than the scoreless opinions we've seen here. Justified or not. We have both extremes in all games. So why's it any different here? Why's it such a big deal? In fact, I don't even care about scores. I don't buy games based on someone else's experiences and opinions. No matter what, I still give it a look myself, either watch gameplay on YouTube or play a demo.

About performance, that's what I take from their comment. On the other hand, is it a crime if someone suggests a game could benefit from better hardware, especially ones made by 3rd parties? I see Digital Foundry say this all the time. Why aren't they questioned and ridiculed? Because it's just a curious, common sense suggestion. It doesn't have to mean "console warring".

Besides, I also see a lot of people on the other side of the fence, complaining why this or that 3rd party game isn't on the Switch, and only exclusive to Sony or MS, and how it'd benefit from portable gaming, and how it's unfair. No big deal. Ask the developer, and they may give you the answer you like.

Hey high quality attracts Nintendo or vice versa.
Personally anything with Platinum's logo on it regardless of console will generally be bought by me. I love that developer they are definitely a refresher in a large corporate chaos industry at times.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
User reviews on the worst, people need to be saved from themselves in the same way that Disney+ will save us all from the horrors of weekend binging.

Top Bottom