• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur’s Gate 3 Standard Playthrough Takes 75 to 100 Hours, Larian Says

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
To those that played quite a bit of the Early Access, without spoilers, what's your thoughts of it all? I played like, 20 mins then went 'noppppe' and bugged out, cause I could feel it start to be something special, and I wanted to save that for when it's all ready/final.

Like are you thinking DOS2 level of love from the community? I love Larian and Sven, their vibe is just: pure.

Last edited:

Sentenza

To those that played quite a bit of the Early Access, without spoilers, what's your thoughts of it all? I played like, 20 mins then went 'noppppe' and bugged out, cause I could feel it start to be something special, and I wanted to save that for when it's all ready/final.

Like are you thinking DOS2 level of love from the community? I love Larian and Sven, their vibe is just: pure.
I have my own list of grievances about little design decisions I don't agree with, either at a cosmetic or mechanical level, but overall? I think the game will be incredible and it will most likely DWARF whatever they accomplished with the two Original Sin.
In quantity, in quality, in depth and in overall production value.

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
Has Larian confirmed whether or not you can do a co-op game if one player is on ps5 and the other player is on pc?

My buddy and I wanna do the campaign together but I’m on ps5 and he’s on pc.

amigastar

Has Larian confirmed whether or not you can do a co-op game if one player is on ps5 and the other player is on pc?

My buddy and I wanna do the campaign together but I’m on ps5 and he’s on pc.
The answer to whether Baldur’s Gate 3 will have crossplay is No. The game will not feature crossplay across PC and PS5, which are the two platforms it will be available on.
But you have Cross platform progression which means you can continue the game on PS5 without loosing your progress from PC.

Anyways i like what Larian said that they see the combat encounters as a Puzzle you will have to solve using different classes, abilities etc.

Last edited:

foamdino

Just had my first dabble in the beta. The production quality is incredible for a crpg. I'm waiting for full release to dig into this

Sentenza

Just had my first dabble in the beta. The production quality is incredible for a crpg. I'm waiting for full release to dig into this
If you already have the game, don't. There's just too much to see, you will never try everything anyway. May as well take the chance to toy around, learn how things work and get a taste of things that you probably won't be playing for 150 hours at release.

MHubert

I can't believe it's almost here! Nope'd the hell out of early access so I will go in fresh like a babe - with that said, I couldn't help myself watching this latest panel, and I'm simply blown away. This could easily be the best cRPG ever made. Still pondering my char, but I'm inching closer and closer to a warlock/bard dude.

I also have to take my hat off for these nu-age puritan basement lads sticking out their heads in this thread. Gratz being like that. I'll have my teddy beef, yes I will thank you.

foamdino

If you already have the game, don't. There's just too much to see, you will never try everything anyway. May as well take the chance to toy around, learn how things work and get a taste of things that you probably won't be playing for 150 hours at release.
Ok, you're giving me permission to play the beta again tomorrow. :).

I want to try out some character classes to work out what to play for release. Thinking warlock as the Cthulhu background is my jam.

But I don't know enough about the systems to know if I am going to make a terrible character that has issues in combat. I guess if it becomes silly I can always drop the difficulty to story mode.

I can't believe it's almost here! Nope'd the hell out of early access so I will go in fresh like a babe - with that said, I couldn't help myself watching this latest panel, and I'm simply blown away. This could easily be the best cRPG ever made. Still pondering my char, but I'm inching closer and closer to a warlock/bard dude.

I also have to take my hat off for these nu-age puritan basement lads sticking out their heads in this thread. Gratz being like that. I'll have my teddy beef, yes I will thank you.
Even though i thought they did it in jest by what the squirrel did and all…..it still was kinda stupid of them to do it.This topic is kinda starting to snowball and people that arent into video games are talking about it. Which i hope it doesnt get banned in certain countries.

I think this game will be amazing and its sad thatvthere is any negativity because of this dumb shit.

Ps…you’re not a Puritan if you dont want this shit in your video game.

MHubert

Even though i thought they did it in jest by what the squirrel did and all…..it still was kinda stupid of them to do it.This topic is kinda starting to snowball and people that arent into video games are talking about it. Which i hope it doesnt get banned in certain countries.

I think this game will be amazing and its sad thatvthere is any negativity because of this dumb shit.

Ps…you’re not a Puritan if you dont want this shit in your video game.
Well I agree that it's sad if it detracts people to seek out and see if the game is for them. Imho I think it's just going to create more memes and hype, as that's usually how these things go, if history has any bearing (lol).

You're also right that not finding it funny, or finding it distasteful, doesn't make one a puritan - but raising it as a moral issue peppered with slippery slope arguments does.

Tbh my hype has gone down a lot after playing the early access. Writing seems a bit better than divinity and there's lots of good dialogue choices but I'm more interested in the gameplay.

The leveling and combat system is closer to a turn based version of DnD than I was hoping. I wanted something more like the brilliant combat of Divinity 2 and got a little too excited by everyone calling it "Divinity's Gate 3."

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Memes and jokes aside I have never played a Baldurs Gate game before, but this absolutely ridiculous press tour they have done has locked me in for a solid try on Gamefly at the very least. Its not often that I step outside my usual box due to media relations, but here I am. They threw their balls on the table with that presentation and fuck me I guess, but it made me sit up and notice it.

I will be checking in on this solely because they chose a predictably controversial scene and did it solely because they knew rubes like me would notice lol

Yahzi

Neo Member
I hope a modder turns this into RTWP. I can't stand turn-based combat. Baldurs Gate 1 + 2 are some of the best RPG experiences I've ever had. My favourite RPG's of all time in fact.

However I'm not going to touch this game unless there is a mod that allows for real time combat - yes I know it's not part of the D&D rules but I still want real time with pause. Please modder, make it happen!

Guilty_AI

I hope a modder turns this into RTWP. I can't stand turn-based combat. Baldurs Gate 1 + 2 are some of the best RPG experiences I've ever had. My favourite RPG's of all time in fact.

However I'm not going to touch this game unless there is a mod that allows for real time combat - yes I know it's not part of the D&D rules but I still want real time with pause. Please modder, make it happen!
Very unlikely, this is the kind of game logic and design you can't overturn with mods. Even if someone came up with something, it would be far from functional or playable.

I still think you should give it a try anyway. Larian's turn-based combat is top of the class stuff. I personally know people who didn't like turn based combat in any shape or form and got converted by DOS2.

Last edited:

Yahzi

Neo Member
Very unlikely, this is the kind of game logic and design you can't overturn with mods. Even if someone came up with something, it would be far from functional or playable.

I still think you should give it a try anyway. Larian's turn-based combat is top of the class stuff. I personally know people who didn't like turn based combat and got converted by DOS2.

I probably will give it a try - I'm sure this game is going to get great reviews, I'm just worried that I'm not going to enjoy it because of the turn-based combat. Waiting for enemies to do something until you have made your decision is just a little weird for me. Having this experience throughout the game ... and this game is going to be massive ... I just don't know.

Guilty_AI

I probably will give it a try - I'm sure this game is going to get great reviews, I'm just worried that I'm not going to enjoy it because of the turn-based combat. Waiting for enemies to do something until you have made your decision is just a little weird for me. Having this experience throughout the game ... and this game is going to be massive ... I just don't know.
Turn based forces you to weight and plan your movements, also removes variables such as reaction time from the equation. Its honestly far more fitting for RPGs where classes and skills matter so much. You'll find yourself having a lot more fun with your character building than something like Skyrim where you'd always end up with some cheesy build.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
This game looks like it may shit on biowares best. I'm trying not to get too hyped but I loved Dragon age/mass effect back in the day and this looks like it might be better every way.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

RTWP is an abomination.

Last edited:

Soltype

This game looks like it may shit on biowares best. I'm trying not to get too hyped but I loved Dragon age/mass effect back in the day and this looks like it might be better every way.
From what I have played, I can tell you from a standpoint of branching dialogue and quest lines, it's probably the best we've gotten in a long time, especially for a game with voice acting.

amigastar

A question, you can't change the class of origin characters, thats what the dark urge origin character is for, right?

Madonis

A question, you can't change the class of origin characters, thats what the dark urge origin character is for, right?

It's an interesting question, because there's a fair chance they will allow us to respec them but I am uncertain if that includes full class changes as well, outside of perhaps only switching subclasses.

Last edited:

Hudo

How does the Dark Urge stuff exactly work? Can I make a Paladin and still play Dark Urge? Because even a lawful evil Paladin doesn't go around murder hoboing

is there anywhere i can read up about how everything works and explains the mechanics? i've never played D&D before. i only played a tiny bit of the original Baldur's Gate which might as well have been not at all. i played some Divinity Original Sin but don't know if that was based on D&D?

i only played up to after the goblin attack where you arrive at the village place. was having fun but it's overwhelming how much it throws at you.

yeah i could just go play more of the game lol but i'd rather wait until full launch before jumping right in. is it enough to read the rules of D&D or is there a youtube video i can watch that explains everything for newcomers to BG/D&D???

Guilty_AI

How does the Dark Urge stuff exactly work? Can I make a Paladin and still play Dark Urge? Because even a lawful evil Paladin doesn't go around murder hoboing
Its an origin story, as which each origin story it unlocks new dialogue options and story branches, though this one seems to go a bit farther than the others. You should be able to combine it with any sort of class, i think.

lawful evil Paladin
Aligment is generally considered a rather outdated system, even on modern D&D rules it seems where they decoupled it from most of the game mechanics, so they did away with it in this game and it mostly remained as part of the description of set characters. Your 'aligment' is now something that should emerge naturally from your in-game choices, though purely from a storytelling perspective.

In the case of Dark Urge, it'll mostly come down to how you'll react to those urges. You could do as the class intended and roleplay as the chaotic murderhobo, a fallen paladin that succumbed to the urges, or maybe one trying to fight against it.

Last edited:

amigastar

So according to WolfheartFPS you visit Baldurs Gate in
Act 3
That is
later than i thought, not sure if i like this, i thought at least Act 2

Madonis

So according to WolfheartFPS you visit Baldurs Gate in
Act 3
That is
later than i thought, not sure if i like this, i thought at least Act 2

I think he's mostly speculating in that respect. Informed speculation, maybe, but still based on extrapolation rather than full experience.

He didn't get too far into the game and I imagine nobody else during that event got far enough to tell us for sure.

Still...it looks like Baldur's Gate is indeed a huge city in this game. Regardless of when we arrive, there will be tons of stuff to do.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I think he's mostly speculating in that respect. Informed speculation, maybe, but still based on extrapolation rather than full experience.

He didn't get too far into the game and I imagine nobody else during that event got far enough to tell us for sure.
This is something they had more or less confirmed in that trailer where they showed off the city.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
is there anywhere i can read up about how everything works and explains the mechanics? i've never played D&D before. i only played a tiny bit of the original Baldur's Gate which might as well have been not at all. i played some Divinity Original Sin but don't know if that was based on D&D?

i only played up to after the goblin attack where you arrive at the village place. was having fun but it's overwhelming how much it throws at you.

yeah i could just go play more of the game lol but i'd rather wait until full launch before jumping right in. is it enough to read the rules of D&D or is there a youtube video i can watch that explains everything for newcomers to BG/D&D???

I don't think you need to learn the D&D rules to enjoy BG3. It's a turn based combat, each character can move a bit and use an action (attack, cast a spell, use an object, the usuals). Each classes gain more special actions/spells/abilities as they gain levels. All the intricacies you'll learn while playing and you don't need to have an exhaustive knowledge of every spell or class effects in the game. But sure, there's tons of guides for playing 5E D&D but they don't necessarily translate well for CRPG unless they're written with the CG in mind.

You could try this one

Last edited:

Blendernaut

Neo Member
Id really love to enjoy this type of games. But I can. I wish they were 20.-30 hours long. But they arent.
I cant play more than 1 hour per day and I cannot play everyday. So usualy a 30hours long game takes me 2 months to complete. Games are getting longer and longer lately, and that's something I hate. I just dont want to be playing the same game for months.

Blendernaut

Neo Member
I hated the Divinity games so hopefully they didn't fuck this up.

Even if it plays differently it still looks like "Divinity: Original Sin 3" and that is almost enough to put me off.

Welcome to the future. I hope they make it a digital exclusive.
I dont know how someone could hate the Divinity (Original Sin) games. I mean, its not a matter of opinion. Those games were simply BRILLIANT in every aspect. Original, fun, unexpected, surprising...
In fact they are the only games that make you feel like exploring a trully interesting world.

jbortz78

So can’t decide between pc or ps5, how demanding is the game and have they showed any good footage from the ps5 version?

Guilty_AI

So can’t decide between pc or ps5, how demanding is the game and have they showed any good footage from the ps5 version?
Mildly demanding. You can play it on a mid-range pc with generally good settings and performance, but don't expect it to run great on a potato or Steam Deck. Note however that it'll definitely need a SSD, unless you're fine with insane loading times and pop-ins.

Not much on the ps5 version, one trailer that supposedly has ps5 footage and thats it. Also, it'll release one month later.

I'd only go with the ps5 version if your gaming pc is severely behind it in terms of power (or if you don't have any). Its the kind of game designed to play with a mouse, even if the controller adaptation is considered good.

Last edited:

jbortz78

Mildly demanding. You can play it on a mid-range pc with generally good settings and performance, but don't expect it to run great on a potato or Steam Deck. Note however that it'll definitely need a SSD, unless you're fine with insane loading times and pop-ins.

Not much on the ps5 version, one trailer that supposedly has ps5 footage and thats it. Also, it'll release one month later.

I'd only go with the ps5 version if your gaming pc is severely behind it in terms of power (or if you don't have any). Its the kind of game designed to play with a mouse, even if the controller adaptation is considered good.
Thanks a bunch for your info so if I have Lenovo legion laptop with these specs:

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800H processor
  • 1 TB SSD & 16 GB DDR4-RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB
  • 165 Hz 15.6"" Full HD-skärm (1920 x 1080)
Would that be good enough to enjoy the game?

Top Bottom