• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur’s Gate 3 Standard Playthrough Takes 75 to 100 Hours, Larian Says

Gorgon

Everyone talking about the bear when the true highlight was demon mommy

karlach-appreciation-post-please-say-yes-v0-ew8ic9bj8lab1.png

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

You know, I wasn't all that interested in this game although I was planning on buying it at some point. My D&D days (tabletop and CRPG) are long gone, and I also feel that the Art Direction, tone, and atmosphere have gone too much into Korean MMO /JRPG territory. I look at some stuff in this game and it feels like the Final Fantasy artists took over the WRPG world. D&D art these days is way different from the 80s/90s vibe, most well represented by artists like Elmore, which I largely prefer to this more modern, flashy colorful take.

But man, this stream got me hooked, especially the care and attention they've put into relashionships. I always felt relshionships with NPCs and especially companions have historically been treated as a secondary aspect of games. Do a quest or two for them, get laid, and then nothing else happens for the rest of the game. Larian seems to finally be putting a lot of attention into it and that gets me really excited.

I guess BG3 and Starfield will be taking over my life soon.

Buggy Loop

yup , the fact that they choose to promote this crap shows what kind of company they are , im not buying their shitty game

So with all the pedigree Larian has, this is the straw that breaks the camel’s back?

LOL

Someone felt something in their pants during that presentation and found something did not know about themselves.

It’s an RPG, nobody forces anything on anyone

Last edited:

amigastar

So with all the pedigree Larian has, this is the straw that breaks the camel’s back?

LOL

Someone felt something in their pants during that presentation and found something did not know about themselves.

It’s an RPG, nobody forces anything on anyone
Thats true, you won't even notice that such thing exists in this game if you don't want to.

Gorgon

So you can break into the newspaper printers and swap stories in/out to make yourself look good? This game is truly next-gen. It seems like a leap above anything else.

Yeah, really good. And the stuff like camping/night clothing that we can switch into day clothing, etc. I didn't know any of this stuff about the game. Crazy. Now I have to get the game, even if tone and art direction isn't exactely my usual thing. It would also be nice to get some buddies to play through the entire game online. Pretty amazing what they're doing with the game.

I wouldn't touch it myself, stuff like that is bearly legal.

There's nothing in there that remotely comes close to illegal. It's not like the character is forcing a "normal" bear to have sex. It's a shapechanging druid (not a wild animal) and totally consensual. I'm sure WWF, Greenpeace, and Law & Order Special Victims Unit are totally fine with it.

EDIT: I just noticed the "bearly" part. Carry on :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

i bought the game. downloaded it but not sure if i want to play it and have my save wiped. probably will play a little of it but don't want to go to far.
Saving myself too, however it should be said mechanically-wise the game can be quite intimidating at first, especially if you aren't familiar with D&D rules or crpgs in general.. i'd play for a bit if only to start climbing that learning curve..

Gorgon

Did anyone play this with a controller on the PC pre-release? They show a bit of gameplay in the stream, but I'm curious how well the UI will work.

Guilty_AI

Did anyone play this with a controller on the PC pre-release? They show a bit of gameplay in the stream, but I'm curious how well the UI will work.
Controller support hasn't been added yet. Try checking it out in Divinity OS2, it should be close enough to what we'll have here.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So question. If I were to buy the game right now, is it still just the first act? Does the game feel completed yet or near it given they are releasing in less than a month. or is there likely to be some huge patch that unlocks the whole game and features on August 3rd?

Really thinking about just buying it now so I can play. Also does progress prior to August 3rd transfer to the full release? Thanks

So question. If I were to buy the game right now, is it still just the first act? Does the game feel completed yet or near it given they are releasing in less than a month. or is there likely to be some huge patch that unlocks the whole game and features on August 3rd?

Really thinking about just buying it now so I can play. Also does progress prior to August 3rd transfer to the full release? Thanks
You only get Act 1 and if you buy now and start playing your save will be wiped at launch. Usually they wipe your save with any new update in early access.

I just bought it today because they said you get the Digital Deluxe upgrade for free if you buy it before launch. I'll probably never use any of it but i'll take it.

I'm tempted to start playing it but don't want my progress nuked. It's only a few weeks or so away so I can wait. I might load it up to mess about with. Seems like there will be a lot of changes. It might be close to what you'll get at launch as far as Act 1 is concerned but still I'd expect lots of changes.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Depends on why you'd call Divinity 3.

Writing style, overall tone, atmosphere and level design definitely resemble Divinity OS games more than classic Baldurs Gates. Not to mention its turn-based rather than RTwP.

On the other hand, this does follow D&D lore and systems. From some DM's i know, they say this feels closer to an actual D&D game than the old BGs, and its ruleset is based off a better edition than the 2e 1 and 2 were based on (Aparently 2e has some issues with its systems and balancing)
2E is and will always be the best E.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I'm in the same mood, I can't wait to play it but the reasonable thing is to wait for launch to get the full features. But I'll buy it earlier just to play with the character creator :)

As i posted before I couldn't get into the Divinity OS games. but this seems like it'll be less silly and a far more deeper RPG that is more true to D&D. The cartoony graphics will give me flashbacks to DOS1/2 but i'm still excited to play it.
I'm in the same mood, I can't wait to play it but the reasonable thing is to wait for launch to get the full features. But I'll buy it earlier just to play with the character creator :)
yeah i'll probably just fuck about in CC to see what I want to play as and then maybe play for a few hours to get a feel for it. I'm not going to play much until the full game is out.

Sold. thank you for making this easy for me!
The Baldur’s Gate 3 Digital Deluxe Edition will contain:

• Playable Bard Song Pack
  • Exclusive in-game dice skin
  • An Adventurer’s Pouch containing supplies to help players on their journeys
  • Digital downloads of the Baldur’s Gate 3 Original Soundtrack, artbook, and character sheets
  • 72-hours early access to act one of Baldur’s Gate 3
  • Mask of the Shapeshifter: Allows players to change race and appearance at any time, inspired by Fane
  • Cape of the Red Prince: Cloak inspired by the Red Prince
  • Lute of the Merryweather Bard: Playable instrument inspired by Lohse
  • Needle of the Outlaw Rogue: Dagger inspired by Sebille
  • Bicorne of the Sea Beast: Headgear inspired by Beast
  • Paintings from Rivellon: A collection of new paintings across the Forgotten Realms

Gaelyon

Gold Member
2E is and will always be the best E.
2E had the best worlds and creativity (Dark sun, Spelljammer, Planescape, Birthrights and so on so great) but the rules are crap. THACO is lame, classes are so unbalanced. 3rd edition was so much better rulewise there's no turning back, however I'm still mastering 2E worlds with 5E rules.

Gorgon

As i posted before I couldn't get into the Divinity OS games. but this seems like it'll be less silly and a far more deeper RPG that is more true to D&D. The cartoony graphics will give me flashbacks to DOS1/2 but i'm still excited to play it.

I feel the same. Hopefully everything else in the game will help me not be put off by the tone and art direction. Fingers crossed.

Also, I wonder how many NPCs are bangable in total. Is it "just" the companion ones?

Gorgon

We do need a new Dark Sun CRPG. Forgotten Realms is ~fine~ but Dark Sun...

...or we could just go straight back to good old Sword & Sorcery and leave the whole Elves n' Dwarves thing behind. Hei, a man can dream, right.

Gimme Dragonlance.

The sad thing is that none of us will get what we want :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But as long as this game delivers (and at the moment I'm quite positive about it) I'll stop bitching for a while.

EDIT: I hope mommy Jaheira the Elf is bangable too.

Last edited:

Madonis

Sexy, feminine women = “fanservice”, heteronormative, misogynistic

Gay bestiality = stunning and brave

There are at least 2-3 other characters in the game which would arguably qualify for the first of those, so...*shrugs*

As for the Early Access version...it's nice to buy that if you want an early demo and get used to the systems. Getting the Deluxe Edition upgrade is a decent incentive but not the main reason for me.

EDIT: By the way, I think the whole concept of the "Dark Urge" character is pretty great. I'll certainly try that for my second playthrough.

Last edited:

Gorgon

EDIT: By the way, I think the whole concept of the "Dark Urge" character is pretty great. I'll certainly try that for my second playthrough.

Looks great. I think I'm going with it for the first playthrough. Man, Larian is impressing me left and right.

Guilty_AI

We do need a new Dark Sun CRPG. Forgotten Realms is ~fine~ but Dark Sun...
The sad thing is that none of us will get what we want :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But as long as this game delivers (and at the moment I'm quite positive about it) I'll stop bitching for a while.

EDIT: I hope mommy Jaheira the Elf is bangable too.
Not quite what you want but you could check out Kenshi for a fairly in-depth RPG set in a fantasy wasteland.

amigastar

I wish they would make a Dark Urge kind of origin but not in the evil way because as far as i understand Dark Urge Origin is evil, right?

Last edited:

Gorgon

I wish they would make a Dark Urge kind off origin but not in the evil way because as far as i understand Dark Urge Origin is evil, right?

From what I understood, you aren't forced into evil by having it. It depends on your choices. So, you can have it, "fight it", and still be a "nice" guy/gal. That's what's so attractive about it.

Top Bottom