• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biomutant will be 4k/60 on XSX, 1440/30 on XSS, 1080/60 on PS5 (technical issues, patch to follow). Current gen info to follow

Riky

$MSFT
I haven't read so much FUD in a message for a very long time. It's almost like the fact that PS5 has had solid games running in 4k, 60fps, RT (in performance mode to boot) just got lost to you. And no, 120fps is a target that not even the XSX hits, unless MS asks for a TV set to fix it for them.

Stop the FUD, the games are out there and you are embarassing yourself.

Gears 5 is a rock solid 120fps, no VRR needed. But it's nice to have it for when you do.

skit_data

since we don't understand each other I'll say it another way:

Imagine being a kid who just got his first home console as a gift from his parents and it's the ps5 , you load biomutant and realize that the game runs at 1/4 the resolution it runs on your best friend's Xbox series X. I bet you know that "Aaaah it's because of BC!" it will fix everything .... especially the missing pixels. Instead of finding impossible excuses for Sony and Cerny, it is necessary to accept that the PS5's BC is objectively subpar compared to that offered by the competition.
I accept the fact that PS5s BC is not as good as Series X/S, that is totally fine with me. That doesn’t make the game a native PS5 game, which is pretty much your argument.

The scenario you describe seems very specific, I think most PS kids can accept this as a PS4 game since it has PS4 written on the box. They will also know that their PS5 Spider-Man game smokes 95% of what Xbox offers in almost all graphical aspects. Xbox kids are probably busy playing gamepass games, and this is not on gamepass. Very, very specific scenario.

The game will probably get a PS5 patch within time. Your hypothetical scenario will only apply to the games launch period, not a very strong case IMO.

since we don't understand each other I'll say it another way:

Imagine being a kid who just got his first home console as a gift from his parents and it's the ps5 , you load biomutant and realize that the game runs at 1/4 the resolution it runs on your best friend's Xbox series X. I bet you know that "Aaaah it's because of BC!" it will fix everything .... especially the missing pixels. Instead of finding impossible excuses for Sony and Cerny, it is necessary to accept that the PS5's BC is objectively subpar compared to that offered by the competition.
They would hopefully know a native patch for the ps5 was underway , BC isn't as good as Xbox's solution by a fair amount yes but I feel alot of people on here act like the world outside actually cares about BC when it's the other way around it's a nice to have feature that's all , most kids are wanting the next FIFA/cod/fortnite and stuff and those are fine on both consoles and untill there's massive differences with those type of massively popular games then as far as I'm concerned Xbox can have the very best of everything it won't move the needle playstation is just a bigger brand and thats all that counts at the end of the day .

assurdum

Banned
I accept the fact that PS5s BC is not as good as Series X/S, that is totally fine with me. That doesn’t make the game a native PS5 game, which is pretty much your argument.

The scenario you describe seems very specific, I think most PS kids can accept this as a PS4 game since it has PS4 written on the box. They will also know that their PS5 Spider-Man game smokes 95% of what Xbox offers in almost all graphical aspects. Xbox kids are probably busy playing gamepass games, and this is not on gamepass. Very, very specific scenario.

The game will probably get a PS5 patch within time. Your hypothetical scenario will only apply to the games launch period, not a very strong case IMO.
It's always the same story. Mortal Shell was enhanced at locked 1440p on ps5 and 1800p DRS on series X, pages and pages to say ps5 lose, it's the new multiplat trend and so on. Now it's mostly fixed via patch. Here we go again with Mass Effect collection and this one, still some people persist with the same stupid fanboistic argumentation.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Series S future looks bleak. I'm disappointed because I like the idea of a new gen machine running games identically albeit at a lower resolution, which Series S was supposed to be.
The compromises are now obviously worse than that, and we're talking about cross generation games.
buy the series x ... series s is for who doesn't care about compromises and
best graphics

Stuart360

Series S future looks bleak. I'm disappointed because I like the idea of a new gen machine running games identically albeit at a lower resolution, which Series S was supposed to be.
The compromises are now obviously worse than that, and we're talking about cross generation games.
Apparently the game is actually 1440p/60 on the S, and not 1440p/30 like THQ says. I guess they label it at 30fps becuase its not a very consistent 60fps i suppose.
Also its up to devs how they use the S. Some will try to match the framerate of XSX at lower resolutions, while some would rather drop to 30 on S and go for a higher resoltuon.

Boy bawang

buy the series x ... series s is for who doesn't care about compromises and
best graphics
Yeah that's what I'll eventually do. I only have a 1080p monitor and projector though, and I don't intend or feel the need to upgrade; but I very much feel the need to play at 60fps, which may become a rare occurrence on series S.

Esppiral

For a gaming enthusiasts forum its incredible to see how many people don't know some of the basic shit about the PS5 BC implementation that even myself a relative casual fan knows about.

- PS4 BC on PS5 uses the native PS4 Pro version/processing. To run the game at higher native res and FR a native port is needed.

- Xbox BC is native for all games, so basically any game running on the XSX is natively upscaled and runs at better FR and res.

None of this should be a surprise.
Shame for the devs as it means more work on PS5.

But shame for XSX since there isn't a series x game.
Wrong at so many levels

Garani

Gears 5 is a rock solid 120fps, no VRR needed. But it's nice to have it for when you do.

Gears 5? Doesnìt that run on BC on XSX? As far as I have seen, only BC games reach an acceptable level of steadyness at 120 on the XSX. All native Next-Gen games behave pretty much on par on PS5 and XSX, with PS5 having somewhat better textures, shadows and "item population".

Can't wait. No doubt he'll be in 4K too

It better, otherwise there would be so much butthurt on this forum.

Wrong at so many levels

Actually he is absolutely right.

Chukhopops

Gears 5? Doesnìt that run on BC on XSX? As far as I have seen, only BC games reach an acceptable level of steadyness at 120 on the XSX. All native Next-Gen games behave pretty much on par on PS5 and XSX, with PS5 having somewhat better textures, shadows and "item population".

The Xbox part is absolute bollocks, no BC game will “natively” run at higher resolution and frame rate. It takes half a minute to check it’s incorrect. The rest is also bollocks (except the PS5 BC part).

Garani

If I put Dark Souls 3 in my XSX it will run at 900p30fps. Because it does not natively up the frame rate or resolution, it requires either a patch or FPS boost support. I cannot believe the level of misinformation here sometimes.
You see, you take as a negative that the XSX is upscaling, I take as a positive: XSX does upscaling while PS5 does not. The asset quality still is the same as the original game, and for those games written with the One X in mind, will have better quality assets and all can be upscaled appropriately.

Chukhopops

You see, you take as a negative that the XSX is upscaling, I take as a positive: XSX does upscaling while PS5 does not. The asset quality still is the same as the original game, and for those games written with the One X in mind, will have better quality assets and all can be upscaled appropriately.
PS5 also upscales the signal if you play a PS4 1080p game, it will still produce a 4K signal using simple upscaling. There’s no difference here, not sure what you are talking about.

Riky

$MSFT

No Gears 5 has a specific Series version.

PS5 also upscales the signal if you play a PS4 1080p game, it will still produce a 4K signal using simple upscaling. There’s no difference here, not sure what you are talking about.

Reading through your conversation I think what's true is that BC works different on both systems. It seems like with the Series consoles it's really easy to improve BC games without having to recreate a native version of it. But it still requires some of amount of work that the developers need to put in.

On the PS5 you can get improvements with BC games but the improvements are more limited than on the Series consoles. In order to get much larger improvements a native version is required.

I don't think it's automatic in either case but it's just a lot easier to do on Xbox than the PS5.

MonarchJT

Banned

no

Pull n Pray

Banned
I haven't read so much FUD in a message for a very long time. It's almost like the fact that PS5 has had solid games running in 4k, 60fps, RT (in performance mode to boot) just got lost to you. And no, 120fps is a target that not even the XSX hits, unless MS asks for a TV set to fix it for them.
There are several games that hold 120 fps on Series X. But you do bring up an important point. Until PS5 gets VRR, 120 fps modes will be pointless unless they can actually hold steady at 120. It would be better to play at 60 fps without the screen tearing. And who knows when the PS5 will get VRR. The technology seems to befuddle Sony engineers for some reason. There are Sony TV owners that have been waiting for more than a year for a VRR update.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Seems to me it lives up to that promise more often than it doesn't. Most recently, it runs Biomutant at 1440p/60.

Garani

There are several games that hold 120 fps on Series X. But you do bring up an important point. Until PS5 gets VRR, 120 fps modes will be pointless unless they can actually hold steady at 120. It would be better to play at 60 fps without the screen tearing. And who knows when the PS5 will get VRR. The technology seems to befuddle Sony engineers for some reason. There are Sony TV owners that have been waiting for more than a year for a VRR update.
I would trade any VRR gimmik for polished and optimized games. Than again, to get 120fps we are trading so much visual quality that it ain't worth it this generation. Next gen 120 will be a must.

Seems to me it lives up to that promise more often than it doesn't. Most recently, it runs Biomutant at 1440p/60.
in BC.

Last edited:
So you actually think when Biomutant gets a proper Next Gen patch, it will run worse?

Depends what the patch does to be honest. I've seen them patch a PS5 game and I ran worse due to the higher settings. If the make the wrong decisions with a next gen patch it could run worse. Same thing goes for the next gen PS5 version of they don't handle it correctly.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Depends what the patch does to be honest. I've seen them patch a PS5 game and I ran worse due to the higher settings. If the make the wrong decisions with a next gen patch it could run worse. Same thing goes for the next gen PS5 version of they don't handle it correctly.
A developer releasing a bad patch is not relevant to the discussion. Unless you want to argue that, in the case of Biomutant, the Series S is not living up to its promise as a 1440/60 box because some day in the future a patch will happen that fucks it all up.

A developer releasing a bad patch is not relevant to the discussion. Unless you want to argue that, in the case of Biomutant, the Series S is not living up to its promise as a 1440/60 box because some day in the future a patch will happen that fucks it all up.

The patch itself doesn't have to be bad but it could increase the games settings past what the XSS can handle. Just because a game runs worse after a patch doesn't necessarily mean it's due to bugs or bad code.

Yea this is weird. People keep saying that it's just BC. That it's not a native PS5 version. Well guess what? It's not a native Series X version either.

The backhanded insinuation that the native versions will benefit one console and not the other is hilarious.

Actually it will benefit both systems. No idea why people are suggesting both are just going to be the same after the native versions come out.

Fredrik

The kid won’t have a clue what resolution the game runs at or even what a pixel is. Even long time gamers need DF to tell the pixel count nowdays.

Yea this is weird. People keep saying that it's just BC. That it's not a native PS5 version. Well guess what? It's not a native Series X version either.

The backhanded insinuation that the native versions will benefit one console and not the other is hilarious.

Litterally no one is saying or even implying that

It's just the simple fact that the BC games benefit more from Series Hardware vs PS5 hardware

Once both get their nextgen patches the gap is going to shorten not widen

If optimizing the game for Series S makes it play worse on Series S, then yes, it is a bad patch.

Now you understand how a native version can make a game perform worse. It's possible but I wouldn't worry about it. Usually developers take some time to ensure the game doesn't perform worse with a patch. I know they can sometimes mess up but I haven't seen that happen very often.

MonarchJT

Banned
I don't think they will make the gap wider to be honest. The PS5 version is already running at 1080P and we all know it's more powerful than the XSS.
I was clearly joking the gap can only get smaller...the sx is already at 4k and surely will not do more than that...the PS5 will go there too...or just closer ...

I was clearly joking the gap can only get smaller...the sx is already at 4k and surely will not do more than that...the PS5 will go there too...or just closer ...

Sorry about that I thought you were serious. Curious to see how big of a gap there will be in the end. Will it be the mythical massive one or the typical small gap?

Either way the results are going to be fun.

Fredrik

Going by past cross-gen titles a higher clockspeed actually seems to be more beneficial than a higher CU count, so I won’t be surprised if it runs better on PS5 than Xbox Series X. Should still be great on both though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sorry about that I thought you were serious. Curious to see how big of a gap there will be in the end. Will it be the mythical massive one or the typical small gap?

Either way the results are going to be fun.

Could be like this as well.

acvps5xsxpc.png

Although it was 1080p on XSX as by VGTech. Karma could end up being nasty here so would wanna laugh when current gen version is available. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Assassin's Creed Valhalla?

Yup:

PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2432x1368. PS5 in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160 and drops in resolution down to 1920x1080 seem to be uncommon.

Massive margin.

Last edited:

Pull n Pray

Banned
Now you understand how a native version can make a game perform worse. It's possible but I wouldn't worry about it. Usually developers take some time to ensure the game doesn't perform worse with a patch. I know they can sometimes mess up but I haven't seen that happen very often.
Yeah, I already understood. My point was that is a rare thing (and can be easily rolled back) and isn't relevant to the topic we were discussing.

Yeah, I already understood. My point was that is a rare thing (and can be easily rolled back) and isn't relevant to the topic we were discussing.

Well the game doesn't have a native version yet so there will be a patch for the native versions. Its safe to assume that all three platforms will change due to that. What will the changes be?

I have no idea.

But I'd there's one thing that I'm certain is that the PS5 should beat the XSS.

MonarchJT

Banned
Going by past cross-gen titles a higher clockspeed actually seems to be more beneficial than a higher CU count, so I won’t be surprised if it runs better on PS5 than Xbox Series X. Should still be great on both though.
depend on the engine....some prefer non-parallelized workloads and therefore the clock is an advantage others the opposite

Top Bottom