• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard cancels survival game. Mike Ybarra is Leaving Blizzard

Gudji

Oh Snap GIF by T-Pain

Complistic

Yeah who'd want to play a survival game? /s (Though coming from Blizzard I'm sure it was uninspired and corporate)

Last edited:

Del_X

God damned. I bet they had an idea when the deal was closing. Microsoft paid $69 Billion for a lot of hollow bullshit IMO.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They don't need blizzards survival game...they have palworld now.

Jokes aside. Rough times. Not a good look at all.

Where's Mike going now?

I feel either he and microsoft hate each other...or he is an industry plant spy that takes over everywhere from the inside.

I think it's the first thing.

Last edited:

Gudji

Seems like MS had other plans for Ybarra, ups.

Also blizzard is fucking dead but we already knew that.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Sorry first bit was /s. There obviously demand for it, looking at Palworld.
You're good, I didn't catch it. Yeah, but I think that was more of the look and theme than it being a survival title IMO. It's just odd, never looked at that genre as something super huge and successful, but Enshrouded looked to have a pretty good first day too. Guess the demand is bigger than I thought.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the genre, but was very interested to see how this game would turn out, mainly because it's a new Blizz IP. It did feel Blizz was late to the party developing a survival game (just as they were too late releasing a MOBA), as I thought the survival trend already blew over, yet here we are with Palworld breaking records and Enshrouded which I think could blow up as well.

I'm hoping some game art/design leaks will pop up.

Layoffs due to many positions having the same function is one thing, but if games get canceled too, MS seems to not step up their game but rather dial down their efforts. Insane in their situtation. As if the past success of CoD and WoW will somehow automatically save them, without simultaneously also investing in new stuff. Might just be a shite game so far, and deserve to die, but the timing is wild then.

CSJ

Fucking hell, Blizzard can't make games anymore or something?
Do they have anything else in the pipeline that isn't just the same again every season/expansion?

Heroes of the Storm was absolutely my jam a few years back - it was fun for casuals and the games lasterd 15-20 minutes at a time when LoL was regularly going 1hr+
I've played LoL and DotA 2 extensively, yet I loved the streamlined experience in HotS, as well as the MOBA-ized versions of classic Blizz characters The reason I stopped playing it was a perma-ban.
I always felt the game had a lot more potential if it was released years before it did.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Trust me, i'm bad with names. I've been calling Jim Ryan name wrong for a year before someone corrected me.
images

I called him Jym Rian

Dude, this has nothing to do with name misspelling. You spelled Ybarra's name correctly :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is about you having a fucking coronary if you aren't able to get news out before someone else and consequently making careless (yet funny) grammatical errors because of it lol

Hari Seldon

I can’t believe they cancelled that survival game. I was actually excited for that. I bet the issue is monetization. How do you battle pass or sell skins for a survival game, especially at a level to sustain a AAA studio and not a studio with like 10 people like Valheim?

Do they have anything in their pipeline now besides expansions to games that are in maintenance mode?

My guess is the project has been in development for 6 years, swapping engines, people leaving and having nothing to show to the public. They probably still had a long ways to go and management decided to pull the plug.
I can’t believe they cancelled that survival game. I was actually excited for that. I bet the issue is monetization. How do you battle pass or sell skins for a survival game, especially at a level to sustain a AAA studio and not a studio with like 10 people like Valheim?

Do they have anything in their pipeline now besides expansions to games that are in maintenance mode?

Top Bottom