• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard cancels survival game. Mike Ybarra is Leaving Blizzard

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Consolidation shills getting fucked

savage GIF

Mortisfacio

A new Blizzard Survival style game I was actually kind of hyped about, too. All the survival games have been a huge success, but to have one made by a company with a larger budget could have been cool.

Curious what happened behind the scenes. Considering that Shrieker told that despite 6 years in dev, the game was many years away from being released - I guess it was in dev hell?

Clearly there's a huge demand for a survival games. Their one big new IP they've been working on for years with the potential to blow up gone just like that. What the hell happened?

amigastar

My guess is the project has been in development for 6 years, swapping engines, people leaving and having nothing to show to the public. They probably still had a long ways to go and management decided to pull the plug.
Yes, it was probably in development hell, with nothing good to show, otherwise they wouldn't have cancelled it.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Sad of course for those that are laid off.

RE: Ybarra, wasn't there some sort of speculation that he was some sort of undercover agent working to get the deal over the line? I wonder if choosing to leave comes with a golden handshake? goodbye?

Saber

Gold Member
Yup, no one saw that coming.

Keep cheering for Sega acquisition too. They will totally not buy them for theirs IPs, they will totally do this to support the employees. Believe.

Tg89

Microsoft is pathetic. Just leave gaming already.

All this so people could get games for $20 a month.

StueyDuck

But i was told by many hardcore, always correct fanboys, like colt man and jezzy poopoo fatty doodoo that MS consolidating the industry was the greatest thing to ever happen and that they'd only make the right decisions for all these poor struggling developers like acti/blizz... i mean they only cost 80billion with a b Dollars to buy at the end of the day.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Survival games aren't really my thing, but I would have at least liked to see how Blizzard imagined it.

Corian33

Blizzard, stop whatever nonsense you are cooking up let me give you a billion dollar pitch:

Asymmetric extraction BR thing set in Starcraft world:

The map is a Terran colony about to fall to the Zerg. Each match opens with a hivemind getting nuked, turning all the Zerg feral. 100 players drop in, with a mix of Terran players in squads playing a co-op PvE FPS, a handful of solo Protoss players who are basically playing Crysis, and a handful of Zerg players playing an RTS and occasional third person action game.

Each faction has different goals. The Terrans are mercenaries trying to find some kind of loot and extract. The big win is gathering intel to locate a treasure vault and getting in there and back out alive.

The Protoss need to recover an artifact or something. Each one is really strong, can cloak, but they are alone. Or maybe they have a team objective, but by necessity have to split up to win in time.

The Zerg are playing a territory control RTS. They are a new hivemind or whatever trying to retake control and they be spreading that creep. They can gather random weak Zerg to their cause, and occasionally take over a special unit to control in third person.

There is no circle, the Zerg players getting stronger and taking over the map is a player driven timer.

I know that was a tangent, but I just brainstormed Blizzards best game in years while waiting on a class to start.

Thyuda

I know there's a lot of nostalgia talking from my heart, but man, it's brutal to see something you loved for well over 25 years be brutalized so viciously.

DonF

I feel like this is low key the begging of a golden era.

We have studios like Larian that are independant, a HUGE studio, able to develop a HUGE game.

The industry is bleeding talent, and they can get together, build a studio, and not need a publisher.

Very peculiar decision if you look at Palworld.

Geez, the timing is just awful for almost every news form MS today.
Eh, idk more likely best to get out of it now. Survival games peaked and then kinda slowly falling down. But now, Palworld got it back up. But u got ark 2 coming and what else that could be too. Hard to find a niche when you got two palworld and ark gonna have most of them. All the other kinds come and goes.

BosmerCulter

Neo Member
Why everyone sucking the dick of Ybarra since his departure ?
This guy was a piece of shit and Kotick's little solider. Under his rule, Blizzard continued their fall and launched Overwatch 2 and Diablo IV that killed the little hopes fans still had in this company

Sad for the 1 899 others employees

Holammer

Very peculiar decision if you look at Palworld.

Geez, the timing is just awful for almost every news form MS today.
We haven't seen anything from it and the game might be such poor shape it's better to nuke it.
With current Blizzard they probably spent more time discussing representation than actual coding.

NickFire

Phil is one of those people that keep failing upwards. He'll be Microsoft's CEO the way he's going.
It really does feel like that to me too. The dude is obviously successful in life. But what has he really accomplished since taking over their gaming division that wasn't paid for with their business enterprise profits?

DeathGuise

Blizzard hasn't released a quality game in well over ten years. I know I sound like a debbie downer here but I believe the survival game is better as a legend than it would have been in reality.

Top Bottom