• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard devs play Diablo 4

shoplifter

I like D4/D3 a hell of a lot more than I liked PoE, which I think is garbage. Really don't enjoy that at all, it's just not what I want out of an ARPG.

I actually felt the same way and I ended up giving PoE another chance after being disappointed by the D4 endgame. Granted, I'm not at PoE endgame yet and I'm going to just start over once the new season hits but it's finally clicking with me and it feels *so much better* than D4 IMO. I'll grant that it does a *terrible* job of actually teaching the mechanics of the game which makes it difficult to pick up but it really does remind me of D2 in a lot of good ways.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Did they realize diablo 1 and 2 are better and day fuck.....
Eddie Murphy What GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Laieon

I actually felt the same way and I ended up giving PoE another chance after being disappointed by the D4 endgame. Granted, I'm not at PoE endgame yet and I'm going to just start over once the new season hits but it's finally clicking with me and it feels *so much better* than D4 IMO. I'll grant that it does a *terrible* job of actually teaching the mechanics of the game which makes it difficult to pick up but it really does remind me of D2 in a lot of good ways.

See, I think we're just looking for different things in this kind of game... I'm just not interested in the "endgame" of these kind of games. I love rolling new characters, leveling them up, unlocking abilities and what not and find that gameplay loop pretty enjoyable, but once I beat the story and find a rotation I like, I'm ready to move on anyway, be it with a new character or onto a new game entirely. D4 had the most enjoyable "campaign" I've experienced in an ARPG, but once I hit 50ish I was ready to roll a new character (and then once that character hit around 40, I was a bit burnt out and went back to TOTK). If it's anything like past ARPGs, I'll get the urge to play it again in a year or two. I ultimately really like how pick-and-play the genre is. I didn't make it to the point where people are saying the cracks are show, but that's really just because of how I engage with this genre.

My all time favorite way to play Diablo was local multiplayer in D3's console version, which I'm sure is vastly different than the way a lot of people like to play these things.

Last edited:

Blackage

Are we actually being trolled?

Who made this video? Who recorded it, and thought it was a good idea to put it on the official Diablo channel?

I guess the marketing department doesn't play the games either?

This was such a horrifically terrible video to put out into the internet there is no good scenario where you put out a video, declare that the 2 people playing are devs for said game, and then show them playing at the level of a 4-5 year old, I say 4-5 year old because I've seen 7 year olds play this game and they were much more direct/concise with what they were doing.

I can only surmise that this video was made to anger and annoy people. Show 2 women, hair color call signs to trigger people that don't like colored hair types, show them not playing a video game well and then laugh as people get mad at the video, it's the only scenario that actually makes sense to me.

MiguelItUp

Ever since Blizzard got into all of that nonsense I guess they're doing everything they can to "look better" in the public eye. It's like they're saying, "Look, we're not like that anymore! We've changed!" :pie_diana:

I really don't know what their marketing is thinking. It's like the description doesn't match the video.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It's possible to die in WT1? Usually devs are well above average at their own games, due to understanding the mechanics deeply and years of exposure. It's a red flag if you're far below average, especially for a simple game with not much of a twitch requirement.

Ozzie666

Loving all the positive feedback? It's been an absolute shit show and emergency campfires. Not a great video, nothing to do with the presenters. You could have just had voices and their tier 1 adventure would have come off just as flat. Actually, their commentary was pretty bad too. I can Taunt you, so many ways to kill you. Actually, there are only 2 zones where you could kill
someone.

Billy Madison moment: Everyone is now dumber.

Zheph

It's possible to die in WT1? Usually devs are well above average at their own games, due to understanding the mechanics deeply and years of exposure. It's a red flag if you're far below average, especially for a simple game with not much of a twitch requirement.
Possible yes because there is a lot of random dumb ways to die in this game but still... you will have to not pay attention

Embearded

Why are they not healing themselves?
I think they are not paying attention to the game because they are recorded and they are a little anxious.

The game has nice visuals and aesthetics but the dungeons are pretty much the same and they only have a few dynamic elements / events in them, like the butcher and maybe a world event?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
4zMKBMU.png

GZvZdfr.png

That's...not true, though?

Video game dev tools evolved from being purpose-built for single video game projects and then in some cases expanded to middleware, e.g., Unreal Engine and Unity. For 3D modeling, if that's what she meant (which is not the same thing as 3d rendering), e.g., Blender, Maya, 3dsmax, Zbrush, etc., mostly they started out for film/tv/animation. 3dsmax was popular for architecture but was a general purpose tool.

PeteBull

As a diablo series lover(first time i beat it back on psx, it had coop, and was top quality), hell i even replayed og d1 back in summer 2017 and it still holds up, dunno even how many tousands of hours i spent in d2, i broke 2k hours in d2r, d3 i enjoyed for 300h, was right at launch of reaper of souls expack, never touched it after but i beat it with all classes and geared all 8 so they could comfortably beat max difficulty content back then.

Now about d4- i preordered it back in december, only spent 150h in it(for legendary hack and slash game its peanuts, ask any hardcore diablo or poe fan) and at lvl 77 i simply quit coz game was 0 fun.
D4 has great graphics, story and sidequests, it has extremly terrible itemisation and gameplay loop- so once u beat story and play a bit on higher difficulty u get 0 dopamine rush and simply quit coz of boredoom or keep playing and hate the game even more(thats what streamers did till they basically started throwing up with d4 and gave it really low scores, like 3/10;p).

TLDR no point playing d4 more than those dunno 30-50h when u beat story and/or finish all sidequests(again very fun, 0 complains here), but for lasting hack&slash game gameplay loop and itemisation is key, till it gets fixed in a year or two(maybe with new expack) 0 reason to play/come back to the game.

Big shame devs at the head, so responsible for most important thing fucked it up so hard when they already had all the info needed from d1, d2 and poe, d4 feels even worse than d3 at its core, just with darker graphics/setting :/

Last edited:
As a diablo series lover(first time i beat it back on psx, it had coop, and was top quality), hell i even replayed og d1 back in summer 2017 and it still holds up, dunno even how many tousands of hours i spent in d2, i broke 2k hours in d2r, d3 i enjoyed for 300h, was right at launch of reaper of souls expack, never touched it after but i beat it with all classes and geared all 8 so they could comfortably beat max difficulty content back then.

Now about d4- i preordered it back in december, only spent 150h in it(for legendary hack and slash game its peanuts, ask any hardcore diablo or poe fan) and at lvl 77 i simply quit coz game was 0 fun.
D4 has great graphics, story and sidequests, it has extremly terrible itemisation and gameplay loop- so once u beat story and play a bit on higher difficulty u get 0 dopamine rush and simply quit coz of boredoom or keep playing and hate the game even more(thats what streamers did till they basically started throwing up with d4 and gave it really low scores, like 3/10;p).

TLDR no point playing d4 more than those dunno 30-50h when u beat story and/or finish all sidequests(again very fun, 0 complains here), but for lasting hack&slash game gameplay loop and itemisation is key, till it gets fixed in a year or two(maybe with new expack) 0 reason to play/come back to the game.

Big shame devs at the head, so responsible for most important thing fucked it up so hard when they already had all the info needed from d1, d2 and poe, d4 feels even worse than d3 at its core, just with darker graphics/setting :/

Yeah, the loot itemization is absolutely horrible and the level scaling killed it. I'll stick with D2R for now, and then give Path of Exile 2 a go once its released.

As for the video - no idea how anyone could have thought that this was a good idea. What the fuck was the logic behind showing the world complete incompetence concerning the game from some actual devs that were involved in the creation of said game? How does this paint Blizzard in a positive light? Damn.

whyman

This explains how they managed to make a shit Diablo game after making Diablo 3 really fun to play in the end. They just don’t have any competent devs left. Or they are on the immortal team. Btw, also a better Diablo game.

Eotheod

I'm sorry, but these replies feed me and I find it bloody hilarious. So much free rent in all of your head spaces because someone has a coloured haircut. Today's developers know far more and do far more than ever before, and the technology is incredibly different from "old" studios of bygone eras.

Regarding the game itself and the video content, I definitely agree with others that it does indeed feel like a slog and things are not quite matching up. I've become super casual with gaming just because life needs to be balanced as an adult, but when I do jump on to play I definitely enjoy what I'm doing but never feel satisfied by what I did.

I can easily play hours of the game doing side quests and completing content with a friend, but at the same time I walk away going "I don't feel an urge to go back right away." It is almost missing that sweet spot that the older D1 and D2 titles had, though that could be youth nostalgia playing its part. I just don't know what it is, because content is rich, UI is well done, graphics are great and overall aesthetically it's Diablo. But it almost isn't Diablo as well.

Maybe this showcase of developer skill could be that reason, where it is lacking the "it" that would transcend the game beyond this feeling I have.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I see we're falling for the obvious scapegoat.

*Diablo IV devs make a video of them playing the game*
*It's on a console*
*It's the easiest difficulty*
*They employ extremely ineffectual gameplay styles*
*They actually manage to die*
*Half the thing the devs say are inaccurate*
*This video raises serious questions about the development team and their understanding of their own game*

NeoGAF: Ugh, these devs are not attractive.

You'd have a hard time convincing me this stuff isn't done on purpose as a means of deflection. Don't take the bait, folks.

The issues with too much CC, too much bloody work, and not enough payoff are self-evident on the highest tier. Quick maths after one nightmare run at WT4 shows how much of a slog the Battle Pass has caused the game to be. This video is laughably out-of-touch on the issues the community wants addressed. For me, I'm happy enough with D4 as it is, but I'm not too serious on it. This isn't a hobby for me; I'll play it on and off and enjoy it for what it is. But even I can safely say things need tuning. Oh well. Maybe next video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom