• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard devs play Diablo 4

-Minsc-

Only came into this thread because I original title made me think it was the original Diablo devs playing Diablo 4.

TLDR no point playing d4 more than those dunno 30-50h when u beat story and/or finish all sidequests(again very fun, 0 complains here), but for lasting hack&slash game gameplay loop and itemisation is key, till it gets fixed in a year or two(maybe with new expack) 0 reason to play/come back to the game.

It's great to hear video game developers are stepping up to combat video game addiction.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Dont really come of as professionals, I’m sure there is more going wrong at Blizzard for D4 being as bad as it is, but these two had their part in it.

Cellars all looking the same and every dungeon needing two gizmos to open a door is bad work.

Fuck I really wanted this game to be good.

GloveSlap

Is this game actually worth picking up during the inevitable $20 black friday sale or did that patch actually ruin the game?

Eotheod

People are theorizing that this is being done in purpose in order to generate a few bigoted tweets in order to point at them and say the game is fine, rebranding criticism as misoginy.
That's some real "aliens" level conspiracy thinking there from those people. Seriously, there just seems to be people obsessed with being offended and in fact are the snowflakes they so eagerly criticise.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Even tho I'm not in to BG3 type games I can understand why people like those type of games but with Diablo I have no idea, they are systems just sound bad. I mean I heard the reason Diablo 4 is online only because devs could control the loot you get......that sounds horrible.....why would anyone want that?

gothmog

Gold Member
Is this game actually worth picking up during the inevitable $20 black friday sale or did that patch actually ruin the game?
I would say the game is worth it under $50. Definitely got my money's worth even if I never play it again. My problem with the game right now is the loot gets really boring for long stretches. I don't think I've swapped out an item the past 3 or 4 levels and I'm in my 50s.

Atrus

Gold Member
The game suffers from too many inexperienced managers being involved in the process I think, not necessarily whomever was playing in this video. There has to be a competent guiding vision to understand and control the design. With Diablo 4, it’s all over the place to the point where you can guess that the folks that started the design process weren’t the same folks at the end of it, which is why they don’t explain how they made the dumb decisions that they now understand are an issue at the fireside chats.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Zero gaming experience, but it was her dream job

1691970883-1691963676483731.png

We are fucked.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You don't need to play games to market. It's quite literally just opening Canva up and making use of a thesaurus to buzzword the shit out of what the devs gave you.
I was sure someone would come out with a reply like that. So a few question:

Wouldn't you want your company's products represented by someone who REALLY knows those products?
Would you hire someone who takes pride in NOT using the product you make?
Don't you want someone who loves what you do and knows your story?
Don't you want someone who can actually interact with your fans because, well, they KNOW these products?

Video games are the only medium you can enter without any knowledge. Try doing this with any other company and see what happens.
I install anechoic chambers, and I swear if my boss see me talking like that he would be like "wtf are you doing here, let your place to someone who actually care about what we do".
Don't tell me Blizzard doesn't have passionate fans looking for that job, so why hire her?

Corian33

While I still play and enjoy the game, so not here to hate, I am kinda shocked there are not only dungeon designers, but “senior” dungeon designers working on this game.

Every dungeon has the exact same mechanics and flow. If you told me they just randomly generated from some pre-built blocks of rooms with a different theme slapped on, I would have believed that. I’m wondering what they “designed” or play tested?

Hudo

4zMKBMU.png

GZvZdfr.png

That's...not true, though?

Video game dev tools evolved from being purpose-built for single video game projects and then in some cases expanded to middleware, e.g., Unreal Engine and Unity. For 3D modeling, if that's what she meant (which is not the same thing as 3d rendering), e.g., Blender, Maya, 3dsmax, Zbrush, etc., mostly they started out for film/tv/animation. 3dsmax was popular for architecture but was a general purpose tool.
Yeah, that was something where I went "wait a minute...that's not true!". Video game engines were purpose-built indeed. Obviously, some industrial techniques might have carried over (and from video games back into industrial software as well!). For example, the whole voxel rendering stuff was first applied in medicine before Novalogic used it to make Delta Force, Commanche etc. I think she really meant 3D modeling stuff, where you could argue that level-editors were inspired by stuff like AutoCAD, maybe?

To be honest, I think that Blizzard made a mistake in their choice of these two. Either let community managers do it or for fucks sake, let the goddamn QA team play it (they should know how to beat the game, right?). Or, if you want to make it interesting in terms of development talk, let the fucking game director, technical director etc. play it.

I’m sorry to say, but video games were better when they were made by nerdy white guys that got bullied in school.
Also sorry to say, but your favorite game? It was most certainly made under crunch. And I see many old devs who - despite saying they "shouldn't do it these days" - not even bemoaning that time, but being proud of their work. And you felt that kind of dedication and passion in the games, which for some reason I'm not feeling from the people in this video.

Last edited:
That's some real "aliens" level conspiracy thinking there from those people. Seriously, there just seems to be people obsessed with being offended and in fact are the snowflakes they so eagerly criticise.
You don’t think a company would be cynical enough to do that?

I’m already seeing it work. Apparently we’re not allowed to laugh at the clowns.

Last edited:
That's what vocal fry sounds like.

This show went from amazing to I can't stand another minute faster than just about anything I can think of. First season, they introduce a doormat of a character for no apparent reason, like he's the new b-story protagonist all of a sudden, and then they make the main protagonist a doormat when it comes to his asshole father. Is putting up with an absurd amount of shit and disrespect supposed to make me laugh or something? Because it did not.

Last edited:

PeteBull

If u wanna play it casually just to beat story/do sidequests for like 30 to 50h, u will enjoy it, but as a diablo series lover/fanatic here i put 20h into beta and 150h into launch game(lvl 77 summoner nerco) it will bore u to death as soon as u focus on actual hack&slash mechanics/itemisation.

Like i wrote in previous post there is no dopamine rush/motivation to beat new dungeons/get new items, and later after u beat story/sidequests game is super boring.
Gameplay loop looks like this- u got tiny inventory and tons of items to pick up, and u know they will all be junk, think 10h of playtime at lvl 70-77 and durning that time i replaced 4 items with new versions, they all were super shit/boring items that dont change anything in ur character except making it like 0,5% stronger.

U dont get that dopamine rush u had in previous games/other h&s games where u drop something and there is potential for it to be substantially better from what u got, it will be worse in 99,999% cases and if its better it will be better by tiny margin.

On top of that lvl scaling is very steep, aka mobs really get stronger fast as u lvl up.
Example: say u are lvl 45, decently geared and can clear dungeons relatively easily, with tuff but possible to kill butcher(its random superhard boss that spawns in dungeons even from early on, its actually one of few pretty cool things in the game), then u lvl up to 55, get 0 items in that time(bad rng, happens often in hack and slash games), but those mobs u fighting lvled up 10 lvls with u too, and suddenly u actually getting raped by trash mobs coz u were unlucky with gear upgrades.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's just a matter of time before the comments section under that video is removed or the whole video is yanked from Youtube altogether.

This video showcases exactly what's wrong with the US gaming industry: virtue signalling is more important than excelling in your work or satisfying your audience. In this case Blizzard not only hired two women obviously unqualified for their jobs, but they also put them front and center in a promo video that showcased that none of the people working on that video (the level designers themselves, the AV department making the video and the PR department that signed it off and put it on Youtube) saw any problem with the contents that _seriously_ pissed off their fanbase. All these Blizzard people really cared about was the gender and sexuality of these two level designers (female, lesbian), everything else was of no real significance.

draliko

If u wanna play it casually just to beat story/do sidequests for like 30 to 50h, u will enjoy it, but as a diablo series lover/fanatic here i put 20h into beta and 150h into launch game(lvl 77 summoner nerco) it will bore u to death as soon as u focus on actual hack&slash mechanics/itemisation.

Like i wrote in previous post there is no dopamine rush/motivation to beat new dungeons/get new items, and later after u beat story/sidequests game is super boring.
Gameplay loop looks like this- u got tiny inventory and tons of items to pick up, and u know they will all be junk, think 10h of playtime at lvl 70-77 and durning that time i replaced 4 items with new versions, they all were super shit/boring items that dont change anything in ur character except making it like 0,5% stronger.

U dont get that dopamine rush u had in previous games/other h&s games where u drop something and there is potential for it to be substantially better from what u got, it will be worse in 99,999% cases and if its better it will be better by tiny margin.

On top of that lvl scaling is very steep, aka mobs really get stronger fast as u lvl up.
Example: say u are lvl 45, decently geared and can clear dungeons relatively easily, with tuff but possible to kill butcher(its random superhard boss that spawns in dungeons even from early on, its actually one of few pretty cool things in the game), then u lvl up to 55, get 0 items in that time(bad rng, happens often in hack and slash games), but those mobs u fighting lvled up 10 lvls with u too, and suddenly u actually getting raped by trash mobs coz u were unlucky with gear upgrades.
so true it hurts... the thing i despise the most is the dungeon mechanics... just the same 3 thing rotation and running aroudn searching cubes is everything but fun...

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Reading the comments this video generated the term "diversity hires" stuck out. And then I saw in one of those Youtube comments a quote from a Blizzards game director (working on WoW) explaining how they select new employees these days:

GamesBeat: You mentioned making the team more diverse. Can you talk more about that effort?

Hazzikostas: This is something that has been a goal of ours for years. We have a number of women leaders, people of color across the team. These are areas where we continue to look for a team that represents the players we want to play our game. Part of why diversity is so important is that I, and we as a team, firmly believe that it makes a better game, makes a better product. We’re trying to make a game that’s not for a niche audience. We’re making a game that’s played by millions of people around the world, of all genders, ethnicities, sexual orientations, backgrounds in general. To better understand and have a connection with that range of perspectives, we want a team with that same range of perspectives.

Recognizing that the game industry has had certain skews — male-dominated is one obvious one, especially in design — we need to work harder to build and find the qualified candidates who are out there. We can’t just open up a position, take the first couple dozen resumes, look through them, and pick someone out of that pile, because we may just get a couple dozen white male resumes. And it’s not that we wouldn’t hire someone who’s qualified for the job. We will. But we’ll be limiting the range of perspectives that come to our team. Again, this is not about any preferential decisions in the hiring process itself. It’s about working harder to understand how our job descriptions, the way we’re sourcing candidates, the way referrals work, and all the rest are filtering out qualified candidates of other backgrounds before they even make it to us. And then once we’re interviewing people, we’re going to pick the best person for the job at the time, but doing that extra work up front, we have found and continue and find, leads to a more diverse team that is more reflective of the country that we’re in and the player base that plays our game globally.

It's clear they completely failed here. They were hiring incompetent people who ticked diversity boxes and they were disregarding better qualified people based on their sex and ethnicity. How else to explain a video showing two female D4 level designers (one of whom is a married lesbian) who have no idea how to play the game. What a fucking company.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

We’re trying to make a game that’s not for a niche audience. We’re making a game that’s played by millions of people around the world, of all genders, ethnicities, sexual orientations, backgrounds in general.
Here is the thing they don’t get - for 99% of their audience it doesn’t matter whether you play a man, a woman, a transsexual bear. What matters is the quality of the game.

BG3 has a fucking bear, it’s also an incredibly polished and good game.

The problem arises when you make a sub-par product that you try to sell by pondering to a minority. The 1% will buy it, the other 99% will see through your shit.

Reading the comments this video generated the term "diversity hires" stuck out. And then I saw in one of those Youtube comments a quote from a Blizzards game director (working on WoW) explaining how they select new employees these days:

GamesBeat: You mentioned making the team more diverse. Can you talk more about that effort?

Hazzikostas: This is something that has been a goal of ours for years. We have a number of women leaders, people of color across the team. These are areas where we continue to look for a team that represents the players we want to play our game. Part of why diversity is so important is that I, and we as a team, firmly believe that it makes a better game, makes a better product. We’re trying to make a game that’s not for a niche audience. We’re making a game that’s played by millions of people around the world, of all genders, ethnicities, sexual orientations, backgrounds in general. To better understand and have a connection with that range of perspectives, we want a team with that same range of perspectives.

Recognizing that the game industry has had certain skews — male-dominated is one obvious one, especially in design — we need to work harder to build and find the qualified candidates who are out there. We can’t just open up a position, take the first couple dozen resumes, look through them, and pick someone out of that pile, because we may just get a couple dozen white male resumes. And it’s not that we wouldn’t hire someone who’s qualified for the job. We will. But we’ll be limiting the range of perspectives that come to our team. Again, this is not about any preferential decisions in the hiring process itself. It’s about working harder to understand how our job descriptions, the way we’re sourcing candidates, the way referrals work, and all the rest are filtering out qualified candidates of other backgrounds before they even make it to us. And then once we’re interviewing people, we’re going to pick the best person for the job at the time, but doing that extra work up front, we have found and continue and find, leads to a more diverse team that is more reflective of the country that we’re in and the player base that plays our game globally.

It's clear they completely failed here. They were hiring incompetent people who ticked diversity boxes and they were disregarding better qualified people based on their sex and ethnicity. How else to explain a video showing two female D4 level designers (one of whom is a married lesbian) who have no idea how to play the game. What a fucking company.
It’s so insane to me that this kind of straight up racism and sexism has been not only tolerated but encouraged for the last decade or so.

Top Bottom