• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie on Destiny's lack of story, the new raid, and Destiny 2

bsod

Banned
If people on Raid matchmaking turns out anything like the people from Strike matchmaking, I'd be pissed.

People AFK'ing, farming, quitters...no thanks.

Id rather put an effort in finding a solid group than play with randoms.

Here's the great thing about having matchmaking in raids...you can still form raid parties with your friends and clan members! Everytime this topic gets brought up some people's brains glitch out and think options are taken away by including matchmaking.

Ephemeris

Some of my fastest raid runs have been with complete strangers. Yes, we're far out from where we were once the raid started, but random or not there hasn't been that big of gap in terms of communication.

Exactly. There's a difference between playing with 6 strangers who know what they're doing and six scrublords.

Some of My best runs were with 100% total strangers as well.

Valor

I mean, real talk, the raid is pretty easy. There aren't any mechanics you need to communicate with until the end, and even then you can just open both portals and nothing would change. It's not like this is serious mode end-game nails hard content we're talking about.

That being said, I'd rather not be wasting time with randoms who can barely play the game with a matchmaking system. I don't really get why people whine about not being able to be matched with a random group of strangers for "difficult" content, while saying they have so little time to play. If you can't be arsed to find five other people to tackle a raid because it's too much commitment, then maybe you aren't cut out for "raiding".

LiK

Exactly. There's a difference between playing with 6 strangers who know what they're doing and six scrublords.

Some of My best runs were with 100% total strangers as well.

I've played Raids with Gaffers whom I've never played with and we did fine. It's doable.

gatti-man

Some of my fastest raid runs have been with complete strangers. Yes, we're far out from where we were once the raid started, but random or not there hasn't been that big of gap in terms of communication.

But they aren't truly random. They are savy enough to use destinylfg. Or other tools. Truly random would be mixed in with people who are really bad. Not saying it couldn't be done but those randoms aren't really random in the same sense as the randoms you would get if the option was in game.

I get him on the not having matchmaking for raids. Sometime I hop in crucible knowing that if it takes too long I'm going to have to leave.

Imagine people hopping into the raid matchmaking thinking it will be 15-30 minutes. Or just griefers. Not worth the stress. There should be a better system of finding potential raid members though but let's not just throw everyone together.

I still want to know why so much was cut, the different starting locations for each race, the early cut scenes shown off in 2013 which never made it, the changes in the mysterious exo lady who doesn't have time, lots of stuff.

That is why it's a huge upset to me, the game was heading there but then got stripped back completely leaving us with just enough "story" to give reaon for playing the 16 or so missions spread between planets.

E92 M3

There should be a review-type aspect where if you don't like the guy in the raid, you can add him to ignore lost so he never shows up again in your MM search. That should solve problems.

And a mic test of some sort. That is very important.

I agree which is why the fact that we still don't have skippable cutscenes is baffling.

I think that is an oversight that is either too difficult to fix or something they don't feel like using resources for.

Fuck off, just add optional matchmaking.

People don't have to use it.

Solved.

You're welcome.

Fuck that, no fucking way. Too many strikes I have had someone sit back and wait. The raid requires everyone to do their part especially on Hard. Parts can be done with five people but really no less. I don't mind no matchmaking, join a clan.

Ryuuga

Banned
But they aren't truly random. They are savy enough to use destinylfg. Or other tools. Truly random would be mixed in with people who are really bad. Not saying it couldn't be done but those randoms aren't really random in the same sense as the randoms you would get if the option was in game.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. Even considering the existence of sites like DestinyLFG, I've done raids with people idling in the tower. As aforementioned there will always be a difference between strangers who know what they're doing and those that don't. A matchmaker can't determine that anymore than a person looking to form a group on destinylfg.

MJLord

I think Destiny is the game that I've ever been most disappointed with ever.

First off the ONLY thing that kept me playing up to level 24 was just how spectacularly fun it is to shoot stuff. Things explode, guns make cool sounds, jumping and mid air shots and the supers. They all make for an awesome experience.

That doesn't make Destiny good on it's own though. As a lower level player matchmaking and grouping isn't that much of a problem to you. However the story missions are abysmal in their design and narrative. I didn't even know I was on the final mission until I got to the last cutscene and people appeared to be celebrating (something). Even then I wasn't sure. I could not tell you a single important point in the entire narrative of the game. Considering what was said about it pre-release this was one of the biggest pills to swallow.
All of the story missions were fight through a level, protect dinklebot, then mission ends. That or at the end you get a boss that is just a bigger version of something you already fought 100 times with 100 times more health. It sucked. There was so much more that I think could have been done with the boss designs gameplay wise.

When you finally reach level 20 it just becomes a grind through the same levels you played before with enemies with higher health. The modifiers from the Halo games were a nice addition though. If the levels had a mechanic other than just shoot stuff then it would have been more bearable and probably not a gripe to me.
Waiting for loot drops to get Light values is a nightmare. It becomes a choice of just taking worse armor values because that one chest plate has just enough light so that you can get through the next difficulty tier without the massive penalty you get for doing things higher level than you.

Lastly Raids. I've not even had a chance to do a raid. In game there are absolutely zero ways to communicate with other players to effectively form a group big enough. Having to send invites would be good if I didn't have to wait ages because the PSN interface for sending messages is slow as balls anyway. Yes you can use third party websites to look for groups but it doesn't even come close to excusing the fact that grouping through their systems is nigh on impossible.

That's probably the closest thing to a review I've ever written.

TL;DR I like Destiny. Some pretty major points I think hinders the overall experience.

I still want to know why so much was cut, the different starting locations for each race, the early cut scenes shown off in 2013 which never made it, the changes in the mysterious exo lady who doesn't have time, lots of stuff.

That is why it's a huge upset to me, the game was heading there but then got stripped back completely leaving us with just enough "story" to give reaon for playing the 16 or so missions spread between planets.

I just pray that they kill it with Destiny 2. I'm about to play all of the Halo campaign soon (MCC) and judge how Bungie storytelling is throughout.

Sojgat

Fuck that, no fucking way. Too many strikes I have had someone sit back and wait. The raid requires everyone to do their part especially on Hard. Parts can be done with five people but really no less. I don't mind no matchmaking, join a clan.

When there's an in-game clan system, I will (seriously, Bungie should just go look at Syndicate).

Kick vote would solve the problem you're talking about, and if the whole system was optional, you could just group up how you do now. I don't see the issue.

An expansion, to me, is something that meaningfully expands the game in a big way. New, very different mechanics, large amounts of new areas, and a bigger scope of content. Size might be the bigger indicator for me.

This....feels like a map pack, not an expansion

Let's be perfectly clear: what this is is content pulled from the base game, improved on from feedback (assuming that what has been said is true, there is a single cohesive narrative throughout). Same with the second expansion. I mean there are clearly huge chunks of narrative missing in the base game's "story". My favorite example is when asked if we know of the black garden, the ghost says we have and my character just agrees. At one point prior to that moment had the black garden been discussed? You also have all the other hanging threads waved off with "I don't have time to explain." All items that were probably fleshed out, but removed to package as content packs while Bungie works on maybe a larger expansion experience OR most likely, Destiny 2.

PooBone

'I don't try to decide whether someone's opinion is right or wrong'

Oh

hWRf6Pr.png

ZING!

hmm, i guess i'll elaborate further on raid matchmaking

Goal 1: Grouping Players Together
  • unique lobby system where each player's class and gear is readily accessible
  • confirm to start match (1 minute countdown begins when majority confirm)
  • system ensures there are no more than 3 "inexperienced" players (less than 5 clears) per run under normal conditions
  • search preferences: chatty, quiet, region, good connection, language, etc
  • No matchmade join in progress, but players can invite friends should someone drop (players shouldn't spawn dead when they join either)

Goal 2: Facilitate Team Building
  • mic recommendation message when searching
  • for users without mics, let them customize a set list of chat messages
  • allow users to display messages in the lobby and in game for strategy
  • recent player list
  • some method of interacting with a clan roster/redirecting to bungie.net

Goal 3: Ensuring Run Success and Eliminating Frustration
  • maxed gear check
  • level check no greater than one level below difficulty
  • vote to kick inactivate/uncooperative players
  • quit probation for users who quit or are kicked frequently.
  • completion/quitting percentage displayed by player
  • checkpoints saved for each individual should the party disband
  • prefer/avoid players

Feel free to add, but I think anything less than this would be a disaster. There shouldn't be compromise so it bears repeating that "how hard is it to just add matchmaking" isn't the right way to tackle it. as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'm excited for what happens next. Hopefully this expansion delivers on the narrative stuff they are talking about. The lore is so good really.

Yeah it sucks I had to go to an external site to read a synopsis of the VoG story that someone compiled. It's a shame too because it's a fucking badass piece of lore. I want to see that shit in the game I paid $60 for. Not go on reddit and read something some dude had to piece together.

MADGAME

Yeah it sucks I had to go to an external site to read a synopsis of the VoG story that someone compiled. It's a shame too because it's a fucking badass piece of lore. I want to see that shit in the game I paid $60 for. Not go on reddit and read something some dude had to piece together.

I'm still muddy regarding the whole Rasputin/Warmind narrative. I hear it referenced in the Skywatch mission, on Venus during The Archive (I think) and during one of the Mars missions when you enter Clovis Bray.

They really handled it poorly

PooBone

This interview is such bullshit. "We listen to feedback and try to do a better job."

But that doesn't stop them from advertising a game that is fundamentally different from what they made. I'm out til Destiny 2, and I'll be much more careful about handing over my money. Fool me once.....

Well the only reason why I've played the current raid so much is because I'm still waiting on my raid boots to make me a level 30. After doing it once, sometimes twice, a week since the raid was unlocked I still haven't gotten them. I'm at the mercy of Bungie at this point to advance in the game.

I better be able to do all of the new content at level 29 or you can count me out of buying any future DLC. (I already have the first few with the digital deluxe edition.) And if this DLC proves to be underwhelming you can count me out of the next game.

Don't be surprised at how many times people have played the raid Bungie, when you fix it to be that way. Some people are still not lucky enough to be level 30 even though they've been playing from day 1.

quickwhips

I get him on the not having matchmaking for raids. Sometime I hop in crucible knowing that if it takes too long I'm going to have to leave.

Imagine people hopping into the raid matchmaking thinking it will be 15-30 minutes. Or just griefers. Not worth the stress. There should be a better system of finding potential raid members though but let's not just throw everyone together.

You have a vote to boot option. Matchmaking and strikes will fill a spot when someone leaves why would raid matchmaking be any different.

Deku Tree

Oh Deej.

"Does X exist in the game?"

Deej: The question isn't whether it exists, it's whether you and I and the amazing community can make the world a better place, such as what X stands for.

But... I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain.

I'm still muddy regarding the whole Rasputin/Warmind narrative. I hear it referenced in the Skywatch mission, on Venus during The Archive (I think) and during one of the Mars missions when you enter Clovis Bray.

They really handled it poorly

Yeah I stopped paying attention to a lot of the story. There was a Destiny lore thread here that died but some people on it really figured out the whole story in complete detail. You have to listen to every word that dinklebot and everyone else says (and then go read the grimoire too) but the storytelling method makes me not want to do that...

flkraven

I'm 4 shards away from being a level 29 Titan. I am a very competent player, typically being top 3 in crucible and I rarely (if ever anymore) die in matchmade strikes. Nearly all my gear is full upgraded, I have a consistent120 Mbps internet connection (so disconnects aren't a problem), and I always finish what I start.

I still have never done the raid nor have I done a weekly Nightfall.

I can only commit to big events like nightfalls or raids on weekends. I have tried casually to find groups available when I am, spending a few hours on GAF, with no luck. I've made some new friends on Xbox, but unfortunately have never done the raid.

These comments are complete and utter bullshit from Bbungie. They can just make the requirements higher if they want (ie. currently the raid level is '26', but make it so you cant join a matchmaking raid unless you are 28+). I am a good player, high enough level to play the raid and nightfall, but forgive me for being 29 years old, working full time, studying at nights, and devoting 70 hours to game when I can, but not having an additional 30 hours to devote to assembling parties online. For christs sake, they don't even have a LFG system in the fucking game like any other MMO. Even that would make things more reasonable. Instead, people have to resort to online webforms or private websites.

I am so happy I didn't buy the DLC/season pass. $20 for 1.5 hours of story, 1 strike, and a raid+nightfall that I will never do. There are a bunch of problems with Destiny as a whole, but all Bungie has to do is implement matchmaking for Nightfall and Raids and I will plunk down $35.

Sorry for the rant. Despite the issues, I really like this game and just want to fucking play the raid :(.

gdt

I'm 4 shards away from being a level 29 Titan. I am a very competent player, typically being top 3 in crucible and I rarely (if ever anymore) die in matchmade strikes. Nearly all my gear is full upgraded, I have a consistent120 Mbps internet connection (so disconnects aren't a problem), and I always finish what I start.

I still have never done the raid nor have I done a weekly Nightfall.

I can only commit to big events like nightfalls or raids on weekends. I have tried casually to find groups available when I am, spending a few hours on GAF, with no luck. I've made some new friends on Xbox, but unfortunately have never done the raid.

These comments are complete and utter bullshit from Bbungie. They can just make the requirements higher if they want (ie. currently the raid level is '26', but make it so you cant join a matchmaking raid unless you are 28+). I am a good player, high enough level to play the raid and nightfall, but forgive me for being 29 years old, working full time, studying at nights, and devoting 70 hours to game when I can, but not having an additional 30 hours to devote to assembling parties online. For christs sake, they don't even have a LFG system in the fucking game like any other MMO. Even that would make things more reasonable. Instead, people have to resort to online webforms or private websites.

I am so happy I didn't buy the DLC/season pass. $20 for 1.5 hours of story, 1 strike, and a raid+nightfall that I will never do. There are a bunch of problems with Destiny as a whole, but all Bungie has to do is implement matchmaking for Nightfall and Raids and I will plunk down $35.

Sorry for the rant. Despite the issues, I really like this game and just want to fucking play the raid :(.

I don't wanna dismiss you, but gaffers are raiding all day everyday. When they still can't get a spot or two (rarely) they fill it on DestinyLFG. I never would've thought that I could raid until I hit up the GAF community thread.

Butttttttt if you are on Xbox it's harder on Gaf. Most people are on ps4.

i'm going to have to disagree with all the "just give us matchmaking and let us figure it out" posts on the internet though. the last thing the game needs is another half-assed system in place.

they need a lobby system that replicates and facilitates the level of premeditated commitment and time effort acquired from going through a website, along with its team-building. certain parameters would also need to be in place to group players by region and language and make sure people aren't going in unprepared (gear check). then for the uncooperative players, there'd need to be a vote-to-kick system, and maybe publicly displayed "match complete" percentages to show how reliable your teammates are. and then there's the checkpoint system, which will need additional systems in place to discourage people from dropping after they get the loot they want.

even though it may not be as complicated in practice, these things don't exist in the game and i imagine they'll take considerable amount of time to develop given the nature of destiny's matchmaking. again, i don't expect this to come around until bungie's raids start underperforming.

i do think it's necessary for when the playerbase makes finding raid groups more difficult (especially on last gen), but i'll continue to say that simply porting the existing matchmaking model into the raid will spoil the content. the raid is very doable with randoms, which most raid groups have been comprised of; nevertheless, the challenges with matchmaking go much deeper than that.

I mostly agree, but the existing matchmaking system should absolutely be added to weekly strikes and nightfalls. It's mind boggling why it isn't, especially now that they've made solo strikes more difficult.

flkraven

I don't wanna dismiss you, but gaffers are raiding all day everyday. When they still can't get a spot or two (rarely) they fill it on DestinyLFG. I never would've thought that I could raid until I hit up the GAF community thread.

Butttttttt if you are on Xbox it's harder on Gaf. Most people are on ps4.

Yup. Being on Xbox has made things tougher on me. Anytime I see group availability, it's PS4.

flkraven

Join our Bungie group - it has a lot of people that participate in the OT thread. Us Xbox people need to stick together lol.

With the DLC coming out tomorrow, and me not getting it, is there any point in me even playing this raid? I am/will be 29. What's the difference between 29 and 30, when other poeple are getting to 32?

Edit: Also, how difficult will it be for me to get a group?

KingV

If people on Raid matchmaking turns out anything like the people from Strike matchmaking, I'd be pissed.

People AFK'ing, farming, quitters...no thanks.

Id rather put an effort in finding a solid group than play with randoms.

They screwed up the strikes. They really should implement a system that warps players to the strike as they reach the dead zones or whatever, so the farmers get pulled into the fight.

E92 M3

With the DLC coming out tomorrow, and me not getting it, is there any point in me even playing this raid? I am/will be 29. What's the difference between 29 and 30, when other poeple are getting to 32?

Edit: Also, how difficult will it be for me to get a group?

Well, you need to be at least 30 to play the new raid, but don't despair! I believe you can get to 31 by buying or finding the new loot coming with the expansion. Also, you can still play the VOG.

Deku Tree

Having played all the top tier end game content a lot... I have to say that I completely 100% agree with Deej regarding matchmaking for Raids. I don't want it. I think it will often lead to a bad experience in a game like Destiny.

People should join an online community and find your own groups if you want to Raid etc... it works much better and leads to more fun IMO.

LiK

They screwed up the strikes. They really should implement a system that warps players to the strike as they reach the dead zones or whatever, so the farmers get pulled into the fight.

Yep, I don't understand why they can just idle forever at the start of the game. They should be booted if people made their way past a certain part of a fight.

Yep, I don't understand why they can just idle forever at the start of the game. They should be booted if people made their way past a certain part of a fight.

if somebody's not participating, i wipe on purpose to force a warp, lol. have had people depart after that

Deku Tree

That system is in the game: If you are alone in a deadzone then die intentionally and you will wipe and the other players will get warped to the deadzone with you on restart.

EDIT: Beaten!

if somebody's not participating, i wipe on purpose to force a warp, lol. have had people depart after that

Exactly!

GhaleonEB

He actually tweeted that?

wow

Let’s talk about why this is the worst Tweet I have ever sent in my life:

•I am Tweeting at myself, like a crazy person

•The issue is not linked for maximum confusion

•The genuine article “is” should be “are”

•It looks like I’m telling the player they are wrong

Let me get this straight. The player is never “wrong.” I believe that down to my bones. At Bungie, I represent to the developers what you say without prejudice. Lesson learned: Never Tweet when you’re in a hurry.

Sorry about the confusion. What do you say, Internet. Still want to be friends? If so, join me in an exploration of our plans in greater detail.

http://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekly-Update---12042014/en/News/News?aid=12447

EL CUCO

I think part of the problem is the loot system. People are realizing that the game rewards you for just simply "participating". We've seen it in Strikes and PVP. People tie a rubberband to their analog stick so they wont get kicked and still have as much of a shot to nab an exotic as the person that was beasting the whole time.

MaxiLive

Match making should open after 3-5 successful runs of that Raid that way communication isn't as much of an issue due to knowing what the hell you need to be doing and know what type of investment the Raid is.

The problem with matchmaking out of the gate is how tricky it is for first timers and how much flaming they will get for being slightly confused (in a lot of cases). Due to matchmaking through a website or forum most players already have the connection so the flaming will be less even if they make mistakes.

Also it prevents players from falling into content they really aren't capable of. I know all of us would be fine with doing the Raid with our eyes closed etc but there are some gamers who are reallly bad at games and know they are, if they were to stumble into a Raid lobby it would be such a horrible experience for them and the other players involved.

As soon as you add the 3-5 successful runs tag that should tick almost all objectives when it comes to requirements. We all know how much moaning there would be with matchmaking, hell just look at LoL, Dota etc the amount of AFKers, clueless or flaming people wreck a 40 minute plus experience that you are stuck in. As soon as one part of the chain is broke the Raid becomes 10x harder where as in a strike it might only be 2x as hard.

I think part of the problem is the loot system. People are realizing that the game rewards you for just simply "participating". We've seen it in Strikes and PVP. People tie a rubberband to their analog stick so they wont get kicked and still have as much of a shot to nab an exotic as the person that was beasting the whole time.

have seen exotics drop within 10 seconds of joining a game that ended.

bungie's "random-but-not-random" loot system is amusing to say the least.

Carl

If someone doesn't move for a few minutes i tend to kill them with my sparrow or shove them off the edge :3

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Here's the great thing about having matchmaking in raids...you can still form raid parties with your friends and clan members! Everytime this topic gets brought up some people's brains glitch out and think options are taken away by including matchmaking.

Of course he never responds to this comment lol.

I've had more way more good games with strangers than bad.

Top Bottom