• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's statement on layoffs & concerns "We know we have lost a lot of your trust"

SCB3

Look I love Destiny, it’s probably my favorite IP of the last decade and I still play it regularly but my god do Bungie need to stop with the “we’re listening” and “we’ll do better”

At this point it’s show me not promise me the boy who cried wolf, it’s making me not want to come back weekly, this season despite being better than normal had to complete with some fucking amazing games alone, I barely and I mean barely completed the season pass this time and was highly considering not bothering the last time I felt like this was when they removed a good 40% of the content I PAID for with Beyond Light

I think the reality is that once the Final Shape is done a lot of the player base is gonna drop out, they need to figure out how to handle that and bringing back content people paid for us a great start

SCB3

admins GIF
Honestly the first thought I had was this episode, the Subreddit was scathing as fuck towards this week, love to see it

Fabieter

Seeing things for what they are now they probably felt threatened by it so decided to sabotage.

They seem like a right bunch of money hungry clowns.

Last of us 1 mp is played to this day so the argument from bungie that they dont believe fractions 2 will last was 100% fishy. Imo bungie is gonna be tje worst possible purchase they could have done on multiple levels.

No idea what is going on, I don't care much about their MP focus anyway, but currently it seems more and more like Insomniac was an absolute steal, while paying much more for those guys was a scam. Paying a fuckton, for a non exclusive studio, also to keep the talent, and now the whole they are the definitive GaaS experts approach seem to crumble, with "talent" being released.
Some acquisitions seem to be gold, but some are just not working out at all. At least some parts of Embracer and Tencent will implode probably too. Weird times.

A bunch of games come out this year, after having really long dev cycles. It’ll probably be awhile until we get another good year. Now a bunch of studios are down sizing with layoffs.

GamerBros I don’t feel so good.
W1j3BLZ.jpg

We want to acknowledge the feedback and concerns you have about Lightfall and recent Seasons, as well as your responses to the reveal of The Final Shape. We know we have lost a lot of your trust. Destiny needs to surprise and delight. We haven’t done this enough and that’s going to change.

Bungie......

Suspicious Liar GIF by Harlem

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Bungie "lost my trust" when they put armor lock in Halo Reach's multiplayer.
Still the worst multiplayer game design decision in gaming history.
They haven't recovered since.

How the mighty have fallen, Bungie under Microsoft were a behemoth released groundbreaking games but since they left they've been on a downwards trajectory with every release, it's a shame.

Ogbert

I love the game to bits. Always will.

The season model needs to die. It’s been the same game for about five years now.

‘Beyond Stale’

Sanepar

2 years for Sony to terminate Bungie relationship(after Marathon disaster) and they go back to MS for free.

I said when they bought Bungie would be a disaster. Bungie always had excuses for everything. They used abk 10 year deal as a shield for their bad practices. Now everything is exposed.

With 4bn at the time they could acquired Capcom.

Sony is piling up stupid decision after stupid decision.

Bry0

I wish no ill will onto Bungie, but I can't help but feel Destiny's success is largely responsible for the GaaS nightmare the industry has become.

Maybe I've got my history wrong, but I wonder if things would be radically different today if the pre-Destiny trajectory of the industry kept its course. Or were we always doomed to FOMO dopamine battle pass seasonal content in every multiplayer release?
Destiny certainly is responsible for every game going through a period of trying to be a loot game and shoving mmo mechanics into everything, but the battle pass in particular came from fortnite afaik.

Del_X

They fired fucking Mike Salvatori. Disgraceful.

I wish no ill will onto Bungie, but I can't help but feel Destiny's success is largely responsible for the GaaS nightmare the industry has become.

Maybe I've got my history wrong, but I wonder if things would be radically different today if the pre-Destiny trajectory of the industry kept its course. Or were we always doomed to FOMO dopamine battle pass seasonal content in every multiplayer release?

I think it's largely Fortnite and Warzone envy in the past 3-5 years.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Honestly who even knows what is happening in Destiny? You stick it on for the grind and power chase, not the story. The only piece of content that was actually interesting to me was Cayde. I tried returning a while back but just confirmed my time was done with it

Destiny 2 has more than 650 dedicated teammates pouring all their energy and expertise into delivering this epic moment and its subsequent Episodes.

That's just gross, man...

Need a complete overhaul and reevaluation. And what about burnout? These 650 people still excited to be working on Destiny after all this time?

2 years for Sony to terminate Bungie relationship(after Marathon disaster) and they go back to MS for free.

I said when they bought Bungie would be a disaster. Bungie always had excuses for everything. They used abk 10 year deal as a shield for their bad practices. Now everything is exposed.

So much delusional sour grapes takes it’s hilarious lol

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't understand why they made this statement. Lightfall came out almost a year ago and people hated it from day one.

I don't get Destiny and never will. i bought the first game and it was just a massive hunk of shit, like absolutely horrible, to the point where I was wondering if Bungie and Activision were running a scam on people. yet somehow they managed to convince people to invest huge chunks of their lives into it. Even after they supposedly "fixed" it, then they did the exact same thing with Destiny 2.

These games were never good. Destiny is not even close to what Bungie did with Halo in the 00s. Bungie is also weirdly hostile to their customer base and wildly inconsistent. I have probably read thousands of posts on various sites over the years where someone is like "yea Destiny sucks, I've put 2000 hours into it and it's so flawed". Like it's just this weird stockholm syndrome that the players have with this franchise. It's bizarre.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Would be funny to see Bungie go independent yet again.
They will. Just give it time.

When they do, the next corporations to partner or buy them out will be EA, T2 or Nintendo. Or perhaps Tencent or Embracer Group.

Bungie will do anything or a buck. No corporate umbrella is too big or small when there's big money on the table to grab.

Last edited:

skit_data

Bungie lost my trust when they made the basegame I paid €60 for completely free and gave me nothing for it, not even some shitty unique cosmetic. So there's that.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Likely, but will keep my thoughts to myself as it triggers people :)
Not me.

What the fuck kinda bullshit is this? They have the nerve to say they are supporting the people who are no longer with them after giving them 1 day of benefits and taking away any chance of them benefitting from the shares they would have gotten for staying there for a "certain number of years" and instead absorbing them back into Bungie to offset the 45% miss on projections? What's happening to management at Bungie? You know, the people who is responsible for this decline in the first place? Nothing? No accountability? Let's just lay off people, shred their benefits, take their shares to recoup the costs instead.

Fuck outta here. Fuck your apology.

Last edited:

NickFire

I actually believe Sony is letting them operate as their own thing. Cause I've heard very similar things from this company in years past.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I actually believe Sony is letting them operate as their own thing. Cause I've heard very similar things from this company in years past.
It's not on Sony, true...totally separate thing that just happens to be happening around the same time. This is on Bungie...yet Bungie somehow gets to advise Naughty Dog on the "stickiness" of their games, when Bungie is literally hosting the equivalent of the Titanic in their game. That part, is on Sony.

1.2 billion meant to retain employees...where did the money go?

Last edited:

OuterLimits

I have thought about trying out Destiny 2, but I have read some say it isn't very new player accessible at this point now. Is that statement largely true?

Haemi

I normally don‘t like shooters, but when i got invited to the Destiny alpha, i was immediately loving it because of the gunplay and the space wizard stuff. But vanilla Destiny 1 was the best Destiny. But even then it wasn’t that great as a whole. All the monetization, engagement etc. changes made the game a lot worse.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

What makes you think MS wants them even for free after all these happens?

gothmog

Gold Member
The current Sony is doomed narrative is hilarious. Bungie is trying to fix things before they get a massive sales bump with the final Destiny chapter. They'll not only be fine but they can always announce Destiny 3 if they are desperate.

stickkidsam

I appreciate when devs will talk straight with their players. It’s something I really enjoyed about Bungie back in the day, reading community posts for Halo.

That said, it feels kinda weird seeing these apologies that make it sound like a couples therapy session. It’s weirdly personal for such an impersonal dynamic lol

Rather than go on and on about how they’ll do better, just give an explanation and the plan to fix it. This whole letter amounts to, “We’re sorry. We’re really sad. We got cool stuff in the works.”

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Probably true. It'd be interesting to see what Bungies annual financials are. Considering Sony paid $3.6 billion it cant be that bad. In fact it "should" be awesome financials because Sony is paying $3.6 billion for a game company that focuses on one game at a time Destiny.

But since the company is an all-eggs-in-one-basket kind of company, all it takes is one steep drop in money from their lone game and it's light out until their next game comes out or they got a giant balance sheet to last ages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom