• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 PRO, does it really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No because the jump is so insignificant. We barely got any games using the full power of PS5. Let it go folks, the "Pro" is not happening, its just rumors. They said that at the beginning of the generation, the latest sales figures saying how they are slowing down production while Microsoft is outright stopping new production at the moment, why in the world would they bother with another slight upgrade console.

PS4 Pro sold around 15 mil out of total 117mil of all PS4 consoles. I had one, I enjoyed the upgrade because it made sense but considering how low the bar is for what the new HW could offer and all the analytics of sales slowing down, PS5 Pro would be even less units sold. RT is OK, its not a game changer nor is it something that explicitly registers in my brain unless I have a back to back comparisson.

HighPoly

Banned
No because the jump is so insignificant. We barely got any games using the full power of PS5. Let it go folks, the "Pro" is not happening, its just rumors. They said that at the beginning of the generation, the latest sales figures saying how they are slowing down production while Microsoft is outright stopping new production at the moment, why in the world would they bother with another slight upgrade console.

PS4 Pro sold around 15 mil out of total 117mil of all PS4 consoles. I had one, I enjoyed the upgrade because it made sense but considering how low the bar is for what the new HW could offer and all the analytics of sales slowing down, PS5 Pro would be even less units sold. RT is OK, its not a game changer nor is it something that explicitly registers in my brain unless I have a back to back comparisson.
rumors said Playstation exclusives are waiting the PS5 PRO announcement...
If true, I hope they show this thing quickly!

I can't wait to see BEND STUDIOS game, Bluepoint, Naughty Dog!

Portugeezer

Yeah, I want it now.

FF16 was really suffering from the performance mode, and I'm sure FF7 rebirth could harness the power of PS5 Pro as well. Dragon Dogma II running uncapped frame rate is also a warning sigh. The list just goes on, we need the mid gen refresh.
We don't "need" it. Games will still need to be optimised for base PS5.

Uncapped shit is just a bad choice by the devs.

Ashamam

rumors said Playstation exclusives are waiting the PS5 PRO announcement...
Holding back exclusives until the end of the year? I don't think so. If they decided to delay a title for a month or two maybe, but at this point they wouldn't know if they were ready early enough for it to be even holding them back. Basically exclusives aren't ready, the 'gap' is real.

Besides providing the uplift is simple enough for devs the Pro will sell off the back of the existing catalog let alone future titles with support. I think Sony will make sure that optimising published titles for the Pro is very simple indeed. Like a couple of days work level of simple.

Pejo

Until a console reaches consistent native 4k with 60FPS minimum (unlikely with devs really not giving a shit about optimization these days), there will be a need for more powerful consoles. Probably by then, 8K+ tvs will be more popular and the cycle continues.

There's always a market for the latest and greatest, there's no issue with catering to them as long as it makes financial sense from a R&D/Production/Advertising angle.

//DEVIL//

Sony wants to find a way to get more money out of you.

with this many of the hardcore gamer that bought the PS5 will double dip for the pro.

HighPoly

Banned
Holding back exclusives until the end of the year? I don't think so. If they decided to delay a title for a month or two maybe, but at this point they wouldn't know if they were ready early enough for it to be even holding them back. Basically exclusives aren't ready, the 'gap' is real.

Besides providing the uplift is simple enough for devs the Pro will sell off the back of the existing catalog let alone future titles with support. I think Sony will make sure that optimising published titles for the Pro is very simple indeed. Like a couple of days work level of simple.
JESUS!

what's happening? I hope they are working on some titles...
This generation is getting weird...

hope they don't delay it to next generation...
what do you think?

Belthazar

It'll mostly serve to help games that suffer with subpar performance or those where the dynamic resolution is always on the lower end. If you got the money and are care about that, then I think it'll be worth it.

DeathGuise

Honestly if they don't release more games I just don't see the point. I haven't gotten PS5. FFXVI is scheduled to come out on PC, and if Ragnarok comes out on PC as well there will just be no reason for me.

Ashamam

hope they don't delay it to next generation...
what do you think?

Not sure what you mean? Just because there is a gap doesn't mean there aren't more exclusives coming this generation. Maybe even some this year outside of the known IP's which they have ruled out. Also I was responding to the holding back for Pro, like I said the biggest issue is timelines, next is it would probably have to be a big IP (known not to be coming 2023) and then finally I don't think the Pro needs a launch title necessarily. A bunch of Pro 'upgrades' for existing Sony titles would probably be enough on its own along with a growing selection of 3rd party titles. Including GTA6 next year.

John Candy No GIF by Laff

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Options always good.

Pro edition systems are probably the only thing in the world where the customer bases say no to a better option. its not like they are going to stop selling the OG models forcing new gamers to pony up buying a more expensive system (forced trade up). If a gamer doesn't like the pro model, then just get the OG model like most people.

Then that same person with their wife will spend all day enjoying looking at and analyzing which fridge or stove among the 50 models out there is best for the home renovations.

If someone wants to spend money or trade up for a better spec console, let them. No different than people scoping out different PC parts instead of everyone getting stuck with new parts in 7 year intervals.

Admit it gamers...... you dont want console makers to make mid gen refreshes because you dont want to buy it and are jealous another guy getting it will play the same game as you at better specs and frame rate. Just like a PC gamer with a good rig. And you dont like the prospects of being the dude with the crappiest looking version.

Last edited:

El Muerto

No. We're already halfway through this gen and we're not going to get any good games until next year. I was fine with the PS4 though. I couldn't justify spending another $400 on another PS4, just to play the same games with slightly better graphics. If the PS5 pro releases and my PS5 breaks then maybe. But i'd rather just use that money to get a better GPU for my PC.

Mr.Phoenix

Of course, it matters.

Anyone that is happy with output modes on the PS5, the option to select either performance or quality, will be happy with a PS5pro. Its really that simple.

As it stands, whatever you do on the PS5, you are making a compromise, you either are taking a hit on the framerate to get the best image quality, or taking a hit on the image quality to get the best framerate.

The PS5pro means you are not having to make that compromise anymore. So a better question would be what would that be worth to you?

HighPoly

Banned
Of course, it matters.

Anyone that is happy with output modes on the PS5, the option to select either performance or quality, will be happy with a PS5pro. Its really that simple.

As it stands, whatever you do on the PS5, you are making a compromise, you either are taking a hit on the framerate to get the best image quality, or taking a hit on the image quality to get the best framerate.

The PS5pro means you are not having to make that compromise anymore. So a better question would be what would that be worth to you?
well

I only want to see more first party exclusives... :messenger_expressionless:

killatopak

I didn't see a drop in optimizing in base PS4 when pro was releases so I have no reason to worry for the PS5 Pro.

I also still use my PS4 Pro to this day so its value to me is a non-issue even if the PS6 releases.

I guess I'm lucky that my household has plenty of people gaming so buying a Pro would just mean less people arguing who gets to play first.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'd only buy it if it gave some kind of improvement for PSVR2.

I have no use for flashier visuals on flat games, my main gaming TV is a 1080p plasma. I have a modern Bravia but it's the wife's of course.

RickMasters

Well…. Yes…. I thing mid gen refreshes are worth it. Especially for those of us that want them. Game get more demanding all the time and we start seeing the limits quite soonish. I love that so many devs give 60FPS options but the sacrifices are always heavy ( we shouldn’t be seeing 1080p, 60FPS on high end consoles, but I guess what we got from both is what 500 bucks bought you in 2021. 2025 I’m ready for mid gens. )

If we are not having 60FPS at 4K and high graphics settings on all the games with these mid gens I won’t see the point. I’ll hold off till next gen and just work with my series X and PC.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It’s not going to make an impact at all as far as mainstream consumer adoption goes, but I still think it’s great that Sony is creating it for the small percentage of enthusiasts.

I mean, does anyone think we need another hardware jump?

the last game using PS5/Series power is ALAN WAKE 2...
Maybe Spider Man 2? Don't really think...

you will buy this console?
No. PS4 Pro was a large resolution bump worthy of an upgrade, but I see no need to buy a PS5 Pro. Certainly not paying $599 for another 30fps.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

What is the metric you are using to quantify this question? If one person says it matters to them, then does it matter? How about 10 people or 100 people?

For me, I will buy it, because I've been wanting to get a second PS5 for my home anyway. Since it's rumored to come out this year, I'd rather wait than buy another base PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom