• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 PRO, does it really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I did want one but with the way Sony has handled plus I will probably move on to pc. I built a decent pc this Christmas so it was an easy choice.

HighPoly

Banned
No. PS4 Pro was a large resolution bump worthy of an upgrade, but I see no need to buy a PS5 Pro. Certainly not paying $599 for another 30fps.
Well

I don't have a PS5 now, cause I decided for Xbox Series X, but depending on what games will come next year, I'd probably buy PS5 PRO

well, do you think we'll see some new ip announcement on next state of play? I mean, not a releasing, cause Sony said only next year, but some announcement?

We really do need it. People shouldn't have to be settling for blurry 1080p/60 in '24 if they're someone who plays on a 4k TV. Since Sony pushed so hard for people to adopt 4k last gen and because they "cheaped out" on not having a better upscaling solution this gen, it's in everyone's interest to offer an optional upgrade for those who want one.

Look at Helldivers 2 that just came out, how shitty the 60 fps modes have been for Ff16/Ff7 rebirth/Alan Wake 2, Jedi Survivor/ etc. Look at DD2 which doesn't even offer 1080p at a locked 60 fps ..then think about the games that are coming out like Gta6 and Death Stranding 2.

Last edited:

Hey Blinkin

I mean, does anyone think we need another hardware jump?

the last game using PS5/Series power is ALAN WAKE 2...
Maybe Spider Man 2? Don't really think...

you will buy this console?

I've enjoyed this gen a lot and I have no anticipation for pro consoles or their eventual next gen replacements.

The Switch is definitely due for a successor, but I don't think I'm going to jump as soon as I usually do for these things.

Cyberpunkd

Yeah, I want it now.

FF16 was really suffering from the performance mode, and I'm sure FF7 rebirth could harness the power of PS5 Pro as well. Dragon Dogma II running uncapped frame rate is also a warning sigh. The list just goes on, we need the mid gen refresh.
So you want more graphics, more pixels, more effects, more budgets, more development time? Where everywhere around people are saying games cost too much and take too long to develop?

Sad Family Time GIF by Lifetime

Well

I don't have a PS5 now, cause I decided for Xbox Series X, but depending on what games will come next year, I'd probably buy PS5 PRO

well, do you think we'll see some new ip announcement on next state of play? I mean, not a releasing, cause Sony said only next year, but some announcement?
Yeah I could see getting a Pro as a first choice since you don't already own the original system. As far as announcements I think they probably do have some new sp first party games in the works, and hopefully we'll hear about them soon enough.

S0ULZB0URNE

well

I only want to see more first party exclusives... :messenger_expressionless:
I'm afraid of they delayed games for PS6 or even for PS5 PRO...
I'd like to know what is on working...

Well

Mfer doesn't even own a PS5 yet is "concerned" about the Pro.

Cyberpunkd

If we are not having 60FPS at 4K and high graphics settings on all the games with these mid gens I won’t see the point. I’ll hold off till next gen and just work with my series X and PC.
You won’t get it, since you are asking for an equivalent of a gaming PC for half or 1/3 the price.

It’s a smart move releasing it ahead of GTAVI.

"Best place to play GTAVI"

Guaranteed sell out

Especially when there's no Xbox Series XX this time around.

Rockstar won't just isolate and give Xbox a "nextgen" SKU next year for their new Xbox Next (assuming HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is right on the money on it being next year and not 2026), and then release an equivalent or better PS6 version somewhere around 2027/2028 when the PS6 releases.

They don't work that way anymore, even if you give them money now. They've grown way beyond that as an IP/studio to even think of 3P timed exclusivity.

At best they'll sign marketing exclusivity with console manufacturers now, like they did with Sony and RDR2.

HighPoly

Banned
Especially when there's no Xbox Series XX this time around.

Rockstar won't just isolate and give Xbox a "nextgen" SKU next year for their new Xbox Next (assuming HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is right on the money on it being next year and not 2026), and then release an equivalent or better PS6 version somewhere around 2027/2028 when the PS6 releases.

They don't work that way anymore, even if you give them money now. They've grown way beyond that as an IP/studio to even think of 3P timed exclusivity.

At best they'll sign marketing exclusivity with console manufacturers now, like they did with Sony and RDR2.
JESUS!

If PS5 PRO got 23 Teraflops as said, PS6 will make around 50 Teraflops 0_o

Do you believe it?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You won’t get it, since you are asking for an equivalent of a gaming PC for half or 1/3 the price.
Arent most PS5/Series X basically 60 fps at decent dynamic res and good visual settings?

So if PS5 Pro doubled in power to let's say 20TF, the extra 10TF wont be able to get 4k/60/high settings (not gunning for 60+ fps or ultra PC settings)?

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Ive spent a lot of money on a powerful PC. I still got a PS5 (day 1 purchase) to play PS exclusives, and mere months later Sony started putting most of their exclusives on Steam.

So no, i will probably never buy another console again, will just keep upgrading my PC. I may have to wait a few years for the latest Sony first party games, but thats fine.

Last edited:

meech

Until a console reaches consistent native 4k with 60FPS minimum (unlikely with devs really not giving a shit about optimization these days), there will be a need for more powerful consoles. Probably by then, 8K+ tvs will be more popular and the cycle continues.

There's always a market for the latest and greatest, there's no issue with catering to them as long as it makes financial sense from a R&D/Production/Advertising angle.
8k tv is total nonsense. Has to be absurdly big to be worth it,to big for most flats. And there is no 8k material either( television program, movies, series)

Last edited:

tmlDan

I am day one on a PS5 Pro, ideally it'll be able to run at native 4k in most cases which will be great for my TV

Last edited:
Since almost no games are exclusive to (and therefore heavily optimized with all resources put to that good use) the PS5 and instead multiplat then yeah, more power for brute forcing is required to make the game look decent unfortunately.

TYRiAX

It matters to people who like 60fps minimum (like me).

It doesn't matter to people who like 30fps.

Now if it is worth the investment.. well that's up to the individual.

Xyphie

Alan Wake 2 is actually the perfect example of why a Pro console is necessary. The game has atrocious image quality attempting 60fps on base hardware because the GPU perf just isn't there. Same is true for most UE5 titles.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
If I was Sony, I’d scrap the Pro and just release the PS6 sooner. I think this will force Xbox out a lot sooner.

HighPoly

Banned
Alan Wake 2 is actually the perfect example of why a Pro console is necessary. The game has atrocious image quality attempting 60fps on base hardware because the GPU perf just isn't there. Same is true for most UE5 titles.
Path tracing is not a problem, the problem is using Path Tracing + native 4K

But yeah, I think if SONY wants to see their games running with Path Tracing, will be necessary another powerfull console...

Well, Nvidia has Path Tracing anyway, and I don't know if AMD will make it's own..

Last edited:

Zuzu

The relevance of a PS5 Pro is person dependent. If a person wants to play most current quality modes at 60fps and they enjoy a few extra improvements in visuals (e.g. better ray-tracing) then yes it's relevant for those people. Also, if Xbox releases a new console in 2025/2026 then it keeps Sony more competitive with regards to power until they release the PS6. But honestly, many Playstation users are probably so entrenched in the ecosystem that they probably wouldn't buy the next Xbox even if there was no Pro released.

Last edited:

Rambone

Performance has just been trash on Series and PS5. I've moved back to PC so that I can get away from 30fps and don't have to deal with compromises. I'll more than likely get a PS5 Pro so that I can move my PS5 out to the living room but if I'm going to take console gaming seriously again, I'm going to need better than the 30fps bullshit we are getting now in quality modes, 60fps minimum or GTFO.

Tarnpanzer

Image quality is way too soft in 60fps-modes in recent releases. 1080p like in Helldivers 2 is way to blurry on a 4K-display.

I switched to a PC last year, but would definitely buy a PS5 Pro for the exclusive titles.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The most interesting thing about the PS5 PRO is what the price will be, imo.

Sony have already said reducing the PS5 price will be difficult, so the pro price will have to go up. It'll be interesting to see how high they'll go with it and how it sells. I don't think there's the appetite for Sony to heavily subsidise the price amid all this margin talk, but if they don't push the spec enough then people will struggle to see the benefit.

It could be a testing ground for next Gen in that sense - how much will console players pay?

Leonidas

As a PC player, it doesn't matter. My PC is already more powerful.

I only use my PS5 for PS4 games so I don't think I'd see any improvement.

I will continue waiting 1-year or whatever for the games to show up on PC, I'd hate to buy a game on console then be stuck playing them on those weak Zen2 cores when a PC version with 120+ FPS is possible a year later.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve been holding off on a Ps5 so I’d definitely be in the market for the Pro. I’ve already put money away for it.

Lupin25

Do I need it today? No…

But if it exists, a Pro would clearly be more future-proof than the OG/Slim.

I definitely want that. Would love to play beasts like GTA 6 or The Witcher 4 at 60 (fps) without many compromises if my Slim has to stand for 30 (fps).

Last edited:

Hunnybun

When you look at the state of most performance modes, there's clearly a case for doubling resolution there. Even some quality modes are a bit lacking in IQ now, and it'll only get worse. So yeah, a Pro is clearly needed.

TastyPastry

i don't know, if it really plays GTA VI at 60fps and improves a lot of PSVR2 games i might get it but chances are high that i will regret it if PS6 comes out only 3 years later. might be smarter to just get a switch 2 instead.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I wonder if GTA will support PS5 pro immediately (either at game launch if the console comes out first, or vice versa).

This seems to be a big part of the appeal.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don’t like it but I will get it.
Imo devs are using ps5 as low end pc which is lazy on their part. They are not using the hardware beyond its face value as budget pc.

Like remedy who just slapped low on pc version of aw2 and released it on ps5 with low res, bad performance, no substitute for lack of rt and just terrible image quality.

The. You have devs that do care like ff16. You got stable 30fps which for one is not heavily delayed and looks fantastic. Or demons souls or forbidden west or other games that show what happens when you use ps5.
I dont care 30 or 60. I am against forcing modes. Devs should make best game they can.
And if there can be tlou part1 or 2 running at 4k 40+ fps, the. There is no place for lazy ports like aw2.

In short - hardware is barely utilized.

I'll be trading in my launch PS5 for a PS5 Pro as soon as possible. I was very happy with the performance of my games on the PS4 Pro and felt that many titles in the second half of the PS4's primary life cycle was much better. I would have hate to be locked to the vanilla PS4's specs and having little in the way of options. Titles like God Of War (2018) and Days Gone would have been completely painful on the vanilla PS4 for me. So I'll be upgrading without question.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, I want it now.

FF16 was really suffering from the performance mode, and I'm sure FF7 rebirth could harness the power of PS5 Pro as well. Dragon Dogma II running uncapped frame rate is also a warning sigh. The list just goes on, we need the mid gen refresh.
Ff16 is the best playing and one of best looking 30fps modes this gen. You shoot yourself in the foot focusing on worse performance mode. Get over initial hump, play for 16 minutes and you will get used to it.

Either deal with it or get a pc.
I know what mode I will play ff7 at and it ain’t 60fps.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That’s remedys fault. They just slapped low on pc version with no substitute for pt and went their way on ps5.
Lazy devs, bad devs and shit port.
Inexcusable when we have tlou part1 at 4k with pristine image quality, looking like a post card and at over 40fps.
Fuck remedy and fuck rt.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As a PC player, it doesn't matter. My PC is already more powerful.

I only use my PS5 for PS4 games so I don't think I'd see any improvement.

I will continue waiting 1-year or whatever for the games to show up on PC, I'd hate to buy a game on console then be stuck playing them on those weak Zen2 cores when a PC version with 120+ FPS is possible a year later.
That’s ok but I think you are loosing a sight of why we play video games.
You don’t play a game because it’s 120fps. You play a game because it’s a good game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom