• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 PRO, does it really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skit_data

The PS5 Pro... it will fix everything.
First I thought I was having a bad case of deja vu but now I think you're just a man on a mission to get a funny tag from the mods
xmHKJ4t.jpg

Last edited:

keefged4

I mean without a complete hardware revision its not going to hit 4k 60 like current PC hardware can, so no. Wait for PS6.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Same, although I don't see a need for a Pro.

Business-wise, it doesn't make much sense either.
I think it makes as much sense as PS4 Pro did and it would probably have the same impact. Some people wanted to be able to take advantage of higher resolutions on their new 4K TV's so PS4 Pro catered to that. These days a lot of gamers have TV's that do 120 hz refresh with VRR. A PS5 that can push more games above 60 FPS and keep most of them comfortably within the PS5's VRR window, while maintaining good image quality, would be appealing to a lot of people. Especially given how rough a 30 FPS experience can be on OLED.

I wouldn't expect that it would sell better than PS4 Pro did as a percentage of overall PS5 console sales but I think there are enough people who care about a premium experience (but can't really justify going to a PC) that would go for it.

kaizenkko

People don't realise that what makes a technical good game is a good development team, great engines, etc. PS5 Pro will not solve the problems, it will just be use to incentivate lazy devs to keep doing a bad job.

I don't even need to talk about price... I can see PS5 Pro coming costing $600/700 easily.

Last edited:

Bond007

I'm gonna say it comes out PS5 launch priced @ $500 and be passed that baton of launch pricing. The price will not exceed what the console launched with- they would be stupid to otherwise. This is not a next-gen upgrade.
Standard will go down to $399.

Same method PS4 used.

Day one purchase.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think I’m just going to stick to my launch ps5.
It’s dead silent, looks great, and plays the few PS exclusives that haven’t been ported to PC.
I buy multi-platform games on PC.

Also, if the Pro is real it’s going to be $650 minimum… more likely $700 for a meaningful upgrade.

Last edited:
I'm gonna say it comes out PS5 launch priced @ $500 and be passed that baton of launch pricing. The price will not exceed what the console launched with- they would be stupid to otherwise. This is not a next-gen upgrade.
Standard will go down to $399.

Same method PS4 used.

You're making that assumption as if next gen won't cost more money than this generation.

The PS4 was 400 dollars up from the PS2s 300 dollars. Ignoring the PS3 given it was an outlier in price, you'd expect based on your logic that the PS4 Pro was 400 dollars so the PS5 would be 400 dollars..., but it was 500.

If the PS6 launches for 600 dollars and the PS5 Pro launches at 600 but drops to 500 when the PS6 launches, how is that outside of reality? Especially if the base PS5 runs for 400 at the time.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Lot of factors will be considered by me:

Price
Availability
What games receive boost
What games make use of it on release
What games not released yet will do vs base model ps5

Ultimately I want one but if it’s not needed on launch I’ll wait until it makes sense. May be the first time I’ve gone into GameStop in 5+ years to just sell my OG PS5 for trade in bucks towards a Pro.

Buggy Loop

At this point who even bothers to buy the launch consoles if from now on they'll be dragged into years of cross-gen and remasters for a pro version to come mid way after such a disapointing start? I don't get it. Pro consoles or OG consoles, pick one, but both is pretty fucking useless.

Kind of glad Nintendo skipped this pro nonsense with Switch.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sonys concern should be the psvr 2 it hasn’t had that big of an impact as they thought it were they’re like 4 games for it including a demo. PS5 Pro is essential now for graphics, power, the last pro console (ps4 pro) was described as a diesel ps4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom