• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol is free on PS Plus Right Now

Zones

Actual picture of OP since the past couple of weeks…

L63i.gif

What did Edge give?
They gave it a 5.
The Callisto Protocol's biggest misfire as a story is in failing to establish a similar rapport between player-character and world. Whatever concluding themes the plot may reach for, Lee is ultimately just a tourist here, clubbing and blasting his way through an edifice that only ever exists as an escape route. [Issue#380, p.104]

Last edited:

Aion002

I played yesterday.

The graphics are great and the story seems interesting, but the combat is so boring that I almost fell asleep after 2 hours.

It's too easy and repetitive, I rather play Dead Space 3 than this.

Skifi28

Combat aside, it was mostly enjoyable, but it was a one and done deal. Not going back even for the story DLC.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's not even worth playing for free imo. One of few games I've sold.
Well... it's ok to drop it to easiest setting and just play for graphics. Ignore the gameplay, admire graphics and setting.

You are crawling through vents and backtracking what feels like 50% of the game... and whole combat is left/right/left/right/bonk....

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I started it this weekend, and from all the hate it got, i'm having a great time, the atmo is great, visuals are stunning, combat is iffy but it really just requires patience.

maybe it shits the bed halfway, but if it remains as good as it is now the whole way through then im calling it an 8/10 (modern gamer scale), far better than an average game.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

It's not even worth playing for free imo. One of few games I've sold.
Well... it's ok to drop it to easiest setting and just play for graphics. Ignore the gameplay, admire graphics and setting.

You are crawling through vents and backtracking what feels like 50% of the game... and whole combat is left/right/left/right/bonk....
I had read the criticism of the combat and it's all true. Left right left right.

I played dead space in February for the first time on my ps3 and that was streets ahead of callisto 20 years ago. I don't think I'll play much more of this.

GrayDock

Finished yesterday, going for the last trophy Maximum difficult to platinum it. I mean, why not? SM2 is only next week anyway...
Isn't a bad game, but after The Last of Us, the bar is too high for survival games and if you don't have a real plus, you'll only get so far...

I really enjoyed it, game def didnt deserve such low scores. I only played it recently so not sure the state it was in on release, but for me, it got me hooked from the very start. Also considering im playing GOW Ragnarok now, its funny how crawling through pipes all the time was a negative, yet in 3 hrs of Ragnarok I crawled through more rocks than my whole gameplay of Calisto. But that was never an issue for the reviews ey.

damidu

couple hours in,
- production values are top notch.
- might be best feeling 30fps in recent memory too
- can see gameplay getting stale if it continues one note.
- also seems pretty linear, losing exploration feel of dead space.

with 10 hrs or so length, looks like good sub service game

Aenima

Just finished it yesterday and enjoyed it quite alot. It just feels a bit repetetive. Even the combat i had fun with it since is more melee focused. You get some ranged weapons, but still the best way to defeat enemies is just wait for them to attack, dodge then counter with melee, and finish with the gun. It was always satisfying to see the enemiess heads and limbs come off.

Would give it an 8/10.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Got hit with the super intrusive, in your face "what we do with your private information" 10 page essay and just couldn't
bother with it(plus the game is apparently ganked anyways). Uninstalled before even playing.

Ah balls. Paid 25 euro for it on series X a couple of months back and been meaning to play it. Pssh. Ah, keep it sealed and play it on PS+ I guess.

Luipadre

Im about to finish it today. I like it so far. The audiovisuals and the presentation is top tier

Finished it. Same situation as the order, i really liked it, public hated it and it will never get a sequel that could be a huge improvement over the original. Oh well... I can see the flaws, but despite all of the issues it was a great cinematic experience with top tier visuals and sound

El Muerto

I liked it. Combat got stale after a while and became tedious. But the design, graphics and sound were all top notch. Didnt bother with Dead Space and played this instead, pretty much made by the same people anyway.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Gordon Ramsay Food GIF by Masterchef

Do not play it like it's a dead space game, it's actually very melee focused. It's a really good game, just not a dead space clone which is what most people were expecting.

It probably has more in common with Condemned than anything else. The way you can chain melee hits to a gun blast can be likened to beating a hobo with the REBAR BENT then zapping them with the taser.

drotahorror

You'll crawl through vents and shimmy between objects for about 40% of your time with this game. It'd really be interesting to see how much of your time is dedicated to that. If not for that, I think it'd have been a better game for sure. Not a good game at all, but those moments destroyed the pacing of the game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You'll crawl through vents and shimmy between objects for about 40% of your time with this game. It'd really be interesting to see how much of your time is dedicated to that. If not for that, I think it'd have been a better game for sure. Not a good game at all, but those moments destroyed the pacing of the game.
Would you say this is a great adVENTure ?
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Classic case of over-promising and under-delivering. This was the game that was marketed over and over again as being “AAAA” vs “AAA”. I mean, give me a break. If they’d just flown in under the radar a bit more instead of making this sound like it’s a next-gen Dead Space, they’d probably have been fine.

This was always clearly going to be a AA experience, but they just were hell-bent on making it sound the most amazing game ever. Not a great approach unless you’ve really made something truly special.

Last edited:

MrA

couple hours in,
- production values are top notch.
- might be best feeling 30fps in recent memory too
- can see gameplay getting stale if it continues one note.
- also seems pretty linear, losing exploration feel of dead space.

with 10 hrs or so length, looks like good sub service gam
e
That is the problem , no puzzles, limited enemy variety, and few weapons poorly spaced out, nothing much off the straight line path
the worst thing is that it's so close to being great

Xtib81

First time playing that type of game and after 5 hours it's quite an annoying game. Throwing several ennemies at you when you have little to no ammo, without being able to move in those small rooms and having to dodge spittles, all simultaneoulsy, surely has my blood pressure go up. You die too quickly and enemies are sponges. On top of that, that inventory system is ridiculous, you can't take anything with you, it's always full.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed this and it didn't deserved all the hate it got but at same time this game had very obvious bad design choices, which is weird seeing from one of the creators of original Dead Space game.

The level design is really bad, the prison setting could have been really something spacial but too bad you spend most of your time crawling and sliding through walls in this game.

Also like the idea of this game focusing on melee combat but the dodging should have been more free flow like RE3R, instead once the combat starts it becomes turn based, you wait until the enemy finish its swing then become your turn to attack which becomes old really fast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom