• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol is free on PS Plus Right Now

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I didnt say combat, i said dodge. Many people said the controls for dodging attacks was too hard, or felt off, etc......actual combat hasn't been hard or boring to me at all. Smashing enemies with R2 hasnt gotten old yet. I just got the first gun last night before i stopped for the evening so we'll see how that goes....
Most of the complaints was the dodge system doesn't work and is badly designed but then they deflect when you say it easy by saying it isn't hard, it's boring and repetitive.
I had no problems.

GymWolf

Youre just not worth arguing with. Been around here long enough to have discovered that awhile ago. I enjoy picking my battles. You just aint worth it.

And "end of the world"? Really? Settle down holy shit. Its videogames :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Nice excuse.

I know they are videogames, i was telling that to you because you looked a bit upset that i was not liking your comparison.

Bye :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Last edited:

Luipadre

I didnt say combat, i said dodge. Many people said the controls for dodging attacks was too hard, or felt off, etc......actual combat hasn't been hard or boring to me at all. Smashing enemies with R2 hasnt gotten old yet. I just got the first gun last night before i stopped for the evening so we'll see how that goes....

Dodging was hard? The game was so easy, you literally cant miss the dodge, if you dont attempt to perfect dodge it

GymWolf

really? that sucks. i REALLY want a game like condemened. shit,I'll take even remasters of 1/2.But callisto downloaded so i'll try it. I tried redfall and it's okay so hopefully callisto is alright too.
Nothing wrong in trying the game for free :lollipop_squinting:

Unfortunately there is nothing quite like condemned, i would suck a slightly bland popsicle for a sequel or a remaster.

Hestar69

Nothing wrong in trying the game for free :lollipop_squinting:

Unfortunately there is nothing quite like condemned, i would suck a slightly bland popsicle for a sequel or a remaster.
yeah its free on ps+ so fuck it why not I'm in the mood for spooky games this month lol

I went in completely blind as I haven't ever even noticed the game before. Not my normal type of game. While it hasn't scared me at all, the atmosphere is really interesting, and the sound is fantastic on my 7.2 HTS. I've only done one chapter or area, I think at like two hours-ish and it says I'm already 25% done? Is this right?

Anyways, it's been enjoyable for a fledgling horror player like myself, at least so far.

K' Dash

I went in completely blind as I haven't ever even noticed the game before. Not my normal type of game. While it hasn't scared me at all, the atmosphere is really interesting, and the sound is fantastic on my 7.2 HTS. I've only done one chapter or area, I think at like two hours-ish and it says I'm already 25% done? Is this right?

Anyways, it's been enjoyable for a fledgling horror player like myself, at least so far.

The game is short, yes, which is a plus for me cause I started a second play through immediately after I finished since I mastered the combat.

I rarely replay games, but this and RE3R are a god send, they’re short, sweet and satisfying.

RPS37

A mod should maybe change the title to something like
”Callisto Protocol is available for PS Plus Essential Users”
since so many were butthurt.

winjer

Gold Member
This is so harsh.

winjer winjer please.........dont be so harsh.

No Way Cat GIF

Virex

Banned
I always cringe when I see "FREE" on Game Pass or PS+. It's not free, you're paying for that service and it comes with that service. Stop paying for the service and see how free it is.

RPS37

I always cringe when I see "FREE" on Game Pass or PS+. It's not free, you're paying for that service and it comes with that service. Stop paying for the service and see how free it is.
I would personally not consider a game on Game Pass as free, though I probably would consider a Games with Gold game free.
Therefore I would consider a PS Plus Essential game a free game.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
I would personally not consider a game on Game Pass as free, though I probably would consider a Games with Gold game free.
Therefore I would consider a PS Plus Essential game a free game.
And when you stop playing for PS Plus?

Thief1987

When you stop paying you won't have the service on which game is free.

Hugare

I loved it

People were expecting a DS clone due to the same creator and setting, but play it as its own thing

Be aware that the combat, animations and many other stuff were "nerfed" with patches because people complained about it being too dificult. Original version was brutal and so satisfying. They kinda ruined their original vision, trying to make more money by making the game easier. Stupid.

Gameplay loop is simple, but crunchy and always satisfying. Always loved finishing combos with a shot to the face. The dismemberment system is a thing of beauty.

It's the perfect pallet cleanser in a sea of bloates games.

And it was lighting in a bottle 'cause you wont see a new studio getting $162M for a new, singleplayer IP anytime soon.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Condemned actually had atmosphere. A little cult classic.

Callisto is your usual pretty big budget soulless triple A designed by committee crap.
Condemend was also way scarier without even being a full fledged horror game, callisto is as spooky as a basket of kittens.

Hugare

Condemend was also way scarier without even being a full fledged horror game, callisto is as spooky as a basket of kittens.
They are going for different things ...

Its like comparing Evil Dead to The Exorcist.

I replayed DS recently, and its jump scares galore that also gets old real fast. The Stalkers in DS 2, now thats the real deal.

RE 2 and 4 are also considered "horror" games. But c'mon ...

And Condemned is a goddamn masterpiece. I miss that franchise so much.

Virex

Banned
I love Condemned so much. My first 360 game. Recently replayed it again on BC mode. Still as good as ever, the atmosphere is the game is still just as good. Condemned 2 wasn't all that great. But Condemned 1 is still something special all these years later.

Barrico82

Banned
This is a strange game, the highs are so high and the lows are catastrophic that really drags the overall taste of the game down

I loved the graphics the environments the lighting effects, the shooting mechanics and weight and hitting effect.

But the melee and dodge were horrible, the level design is so bad

Even though it is a free game i feel its a chore to play it !

This game was pretty cool. Definitely worth a second playthrough that I will get to at some point.

The opening is badass. The guns were sick and the gore was great.

People just need every game to be twitchy. The vents are avoidable a lot of the time as they access side areas for extra upgrades. Besides, it's supposed to be kind of like Alien. Slow and claustrophobic.

scydrex

I give this game a 6/10. Graphics great, sound great, the combat is ok. Story sucks, controls is bad. It's difficult to change weapon with an enemy nearby. Camera is bad... It's too close to the main characters. The couple of times i died was because of the controls or the camera. It's a decent game. Good for plus extra.

Last edited:

Ansphn

How is paying a monthly or yearly subscription free? It bothers me when people mention something from a subscription where you have to pay as free.

Think I'm about where you're at. Played a short bit and was shocked to find out I'm 25% already. Having a shorter game in the midst of long ones is great, but damn this one is far, far shorter than I expected.

At least it's been a fun time so far. Great visuals and sound like others mentioned. Even dodging is fun even if they could tighten up the timing. Hoping it lands with as much of a fun experience as it's been so far.

Overall this game was pretty average, especially comparing it to the original dead space, but I still had a decent time with it. What I disliked the most was the Dodge mechanic and the camera angle after you would dodge, which would just fuck up your perspective.

Zadom

I am beginning to realize I must have poor taste, because I am really enjoying this game. I like the environment and it’s nice to have a corridor game after playing so many open worlds. I notice I like games that other people will say plays horrible or looks terrible or is designed terrible.

I’m not going to give any recommendations on games but just going to continue enjoying what I enjoy. A non- connoisseur of games.

skit_data

Gonna give this a spin over the weekend, seems like a pretty good length for it. It's gonna be interesting because I initially was very hyped for it, which was deflated immediately when reviews came out.
Time passing and it being "free" makes for a good in between now that makes it easier to not judge the game too hard if its a bit of a let down.

Last edited:
Gonna give this a spin over the weekend, seems like a pretty good length for it. It's gonna be interesting because I initially was very hyped for it, which was deflated immediately when reviews came out.
Time passing and it being "free" makes for a good in between now that makes it easier to not judge the game too hard if its a bit of a let down.
Aye. Gonna try and play it this weekend too. Short length accordingly as you say so should be good.

I honestly doubt it's as bad as people say.

WoJ

I am beginning to realize I must have poor taste, because I am really enjoying this game. I like the environment and it’s nice to have a corridor game after playing so many open worlds. I notice I like games that other people will say plays horrible or looks terrible or is designed terrible.

I’m not going to give any recommendations on games but just going to continue enjoying what I enjoy. A non- connoisseur of games.
You and me both. If GAF says it sucks it almost instantly becomes something I want to check out because I usually enjoy it.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Do yourself a favor and trust your own taste rather than 80% of the opinions here. You'll have a much better time.

100% with you.
Still, this game is absolutely mediocre, I absolutely LOVE horror/action horror games and yet, CP does everything in its power to bring the whole experience down.

- absolutely mediocre (almost bad) melee systems.
- slide through vent/tight spot -athon
- cliche/banal AAA Hollywood -type "scares"/jump scares
- linear as fook to the point of being... insulting.

They put all their chips on the tech and gfx - which are the only things this game has going on for.

I don't get how they managed to fuck this up so bad gameplay -wise, it's such a regression compared to dead space that...

It's a 5.5/6/10 game through and through unfortunately

Luipadre

I finished the game in performance mode, really liked it. In fact i started a new game + which i rarely do in games and now playing in quality mode. This game is one of the best looking game on the system holy hell and one of the smoothest 30 fps game out there

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
100% with you.
Still, this game is absolutely mediocre, I absolutely LOVE horror/action horror games and yet, CP does everything in its power to bring the whole experience down.

- absolutely mediocre (almost bad) melee systems.
- slide through vent/tight spot -athon
- cliche/banal AAA Hollywood -type "scares"/jump scares
- linear as fook to the point of being... insulting.

They put all their chips on the tech and gfx - which are the only things this game has going on for.

I don't get how they managed to fuck this up so bad gameplay -wise, it's such a regression compared to dead space that...

It's a 5.5/6/10 game through and through unfortunately

And see, Im practically the complete opposite. It was one of my favorite games last year :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I found it enjoyably tense and had quite a few jump scares, especially with those four legged fuckers. Loved the environment design and lighting. Loved the Punch Out meets Condemned (sorry not sorry GymWolf) type of combat and the one two combo of a beat down + shotgun blast to the face. It did a lot of cool things stylistically for me. But the blemishes are there. The save system blows dicks. There should be some sort of little map because you hit points where you cant backtrack to a side path you might've missed. The boss fights arent that interesting to me. And the amount of vents and walls you crawl and squeeze through reaches laugh out loud levels of absurdity.

Still though, one of my favs last year. And I like it way more than the Dead Space remake. DS was way too "safe" for me. I thought it did nothing to really elevate the experience beyond the original despite its new additions like the added zero g areas and all gender bathrooms.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
And see, Im practically the complete opposite. It was one of my favorite games last year :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I found it enjoyably tense and had quite a few jump scares, especially with those four legged fuckers. Loved the environment design and lighting. Loved the Punch Out meets Condemned (sorry not sorry GymWolf) type of combat and the one two combo of a beat down + shotgun blast to the face. It did a lot of cool things stylistically for me. But the blemishes are there. The save system blows dicks. There should be some sort of little map because you hit points where you cant backtrack to a side path you might've missed. The boss fights arent that interesting to me. And the amount of vents and walls you crawl and squeeze through reaches laugh out loud levels of absurdity.

Still though, one of my favs last year. And I like it way more than the Dead Space remake. DS was way too "safe" for me. I thought it did nothing to really elevate the experience beyond the original despite its new additions like the added zero g areas and all gender bathrooms.

Again, I'm 100% with you brother 😉
Also : you hit the nail right on the head explaining the game's shortcomings (the ones I didn't mention).

I understand that some times things are completely subjective and that's perfectly fine.

Thanks for actually engaging in a conversation instead of doing the usual drive-by "imma gonna shit on your opinion" type post that many users resort to (unfortunately, but this is the internet after all 😁).

Take care friend, cheers

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I finished the game in performance mode, really liked it. In fact i started a new game + which i rarely do in games and now playing in quality mode. This game is one of the best looking game on the system holy hell and one of the smoothest 30 fps game out there

I think you're one of the toughest critics here so the fact that you enjoyed this as much as you did fucking rules :goog_horns:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
maybe i just have a weird taste :p

This game is in the same situation as the Order 1886 for me. Im just a sucker for these linear cinematic games with high production quality

Christ you like that one too? Love it as well. Yeah your taste is out there :messenger_grinning:

SkylineRKR

I bought Dead Space Remake and downloaded this on Plus after I beat RE4.

I started with this game. I don't like it at all. Its fully linear, and I don't like the gameplay loop. The repetitive enemies and the boring melee combat in particular. It gets especially terrible once you engage more than one enemy.

I also feel i am crawling through vents for half the time. I am about 2 hours in and the game didn't change a single thing yet. It plays like opening chapters of games like Dead Space, those games usually unshackle after a short while but Callisto Protocol stays in this line for the remainder it seems.

I can't believe Schofield came up with this, more than a decade after DS. Its inferior in about every way possible. The graphics and sound are great, but thats about it. I feel like i am wasting time and should fire up DS instead.

MacReady13

I enjoyed it, warts and all. I didn't really take to that dodge mechanic but once I got used to it I was fine. It was a baffling decision to have it in the game in the 1st place but it is what it is. The graphics, the atmosphere- they nailed it.

Top Bottom