• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol is free on PS Plus Right Now

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm expecting to be bored because even Dead Space 1-3 bore me now (though 1&2 are still amazing of course). I'm really glad this is on PS+ cause I really had no desire to pay $70 for it, mostly just curious about the visuals.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Guys, if you pay something, that's not free.

Big Bang Mind Blown GIF by xponentialdesign

my take from another thread:
just recently gave the game a try, & walked away after a few hours absolutely stunned. that its development was overseen by the same guy who helped create the far superior 'original' title that, 15 years on, callisto's nothing but a pale imitation of, only makes the whole thing worse. callisto's an almost shockingly bad game. it truly does feel like a triple-a game produced by an ai that'd processed a batch of survival horror games beforehand. eerily uninspired & soulless...

Sleepwalker

I enjoyed this and it didn't deserved all the hate it got but at same time this game had very obvious bad design choices, which is weird seeing from one of the creators of original Dead Space game.

The level design is really bad, the prison setting could have been really something spacial but too bad you spend most of your time crawling and sliding through walls in this game.

Also like the idea of this game focusing on melee combat but the dodging should have been more free flow like RE3R, instead once the combat starts it becomes turn based, you wait until the enemy finish its swing then become your turn too attack which becomes old really fast.

I agree with this.

But also lol at turn based, it probably would've been more fun if the game transitioned into a turn based scenario everytime an encounter pops up haha

bender

What time is it?
One of the better looking games I've played. Unfortunately everything else about the game is pure tedium. The melee focus quickly robs the game of any tension and the lack of enemy variety wears out what was already a thin premise. The framing of the story also betrays any type of investment you'd have in any of the main characters. And like has been mentioned, there aren't too many times that you'll go longer than a minute or two without crawling in a vent or shimmying through a crack in a wall.

Beechos

Game was average. Felt like a sequel couldve imporved everything. Guns are a total waste of time in this game.

I like it, but damn is it linear. Apart from some side rooms with health packs it is just door after corridor after door and then this room and then an elevator.

RPS37

It's not even worth playing for free imo. One of few games I've sold.
Well... it's ok to drop it to easiest setting and just play for graphics. Ignore the gameplay, admire graphics and setting.

You are crawling through vents and backtracking what feels like 50% of the game... and whole combat is left/right/left/right/bonk....
I’m def just playing on easy and admiring the graphics

Muffdraul

I’m def just playing on easy and admiring the graphics
Last time I did that with a game was Dino Crisis 3. Seriously, if you play that on easy which gives you infinite continues instead of having to buy them with pts, you can just brute force through the bullshit combat and enjoy exploring the huge beautiful spaceship and focus on solving its trippy transformation puzzles.

Sad to say, personally I found nothing like that to focus on in CP.

V1.0 of the game was great. Post-patches + the finale dlc left me bitter about the game as a whole.
Enjoy the initial experience and accept the cliffhanger ending imo. The finale "FINAL TRASMISSION" isn't worth playing.

Camreezie

This game didnt deseve the reception it got imo. They would have been better served coming in at a lower price point like Mirage just did though due to the short linear nature of it. Super good looking and well polished imo and the gameplay loop i actually enjoyed where others didnt it seems.

Like others said , if you utilise all the tools at your disposal like the shivs and GRP you will have a better time. We seem to gloss over games using the old shimmy through cracks to progress in other big AAA games lol

kunonabi

I'll give it a try but man I hope the chick stops being a raging bitch because she is insufferable for the first few hours I watched.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Big Bang Mind Blown GIF by xponentialdesign

Unless you explicitly paid for Plus in order to play this, then its effectively "free" (as part of something you already paid for). Because let's face it, instead of this they could have offered a game you already own/have paid for.

Which consequently means that unless somebody wants to argue that any sort of subscription/rental service is worthless, then it is a "free" gift.

Being pedantic isn't big and clever.

Shakka43

I'll give it a try but man I hope the chick stops being a raging bitch because she is insufferable for the first few hours I watched.
She does. I was annoyed by her too but thankfully she becomes a bit more mellow later on.

Entertainment media still has a long way on how to write "badass" female characters. So far their only idea of that is making them insufferable pricks.

Btw, GOAT anime girl in your avatar 🤜🤛

Last edited:

Shrap

Unless you explicitly paid for Plus in order to play this, then its effectively "free" (as part of something you already paid for). Because let's face it, instead of this they could have offered a game you already own/have paid for.

Which consequently means that unless somebody wants to argue that any sort of subscription/rental service is worthless, then it is a "free" gift.

Being pedantic isn't big and clever.
You are not getting something for free when you have to pay to be able to access it in the first place. You don't get stranger things free with a netflix subscription - you pay for the ability to access it. The same thing goes for Callisto Protocol along with any game on PS Plus - you pay in order to access it through that service, and you also lose that access when you stop paying for the service.

The fact that this even has to be broken down in a gaming forum is why this shit gets worse every year.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You are not getting something for free when you have to pay to be able to access it in the first place. You don't get stranger things free with a netflix subscription - you pay for the ability to access it. The same thing goes for Callisto Protocol along with any game on PS Plus - you pay in order to access it through that service, and you also lose that access when you stop paying for the service.

The fact that this even has to be broken down in a gaming forum is why this shit gets worse every year.

When someone says "I got x thing for free", it simply means that they didn't specifically pay for it.

That's it! There's no need to go any deeper than that! Because they are saying how it is relative to their expectation.

If you were to make an absolutist argument then nothing is truly free unless there are zero dependencies on it. Like, you still need this console to play the game on, and that costs money. You also need power for the console to operate, does that have any cost attached? And of course you only have access "forever" if you can maintain the required conditions as outlined above at the time...

Point being: How many levels of abstraction away from cost, does a thing need to be in order to satisfy your determination of a thing being free?

So there you go, a pedantic as fuck rebuttal, to your pedantic argument.

Pedantry is annoying.

Last edited:

Shrap

When someone says "I got x thing for free", it simply means that they didn't specifically pay for it.

That's it! There's no need to go any deeper than that! Because they are saying how it is relative to their expectation.

If you were to make an absolutist argument then nothing is truly free unless there are zero dependencies on it. Like, you still need this console to play the game on, and that costs money. You also need power for the console to operate, does that have any cost attached? And of course you only have access "forever" if you can maintain the required conditions as outlined above at the time...

Point being: How many levels of abstraction away from cost, does a thing need to be in order to satisfy your determination of a thing being free?

So there you go, a pedantic as fuck rebuttal, to your pedantic argument.

Pedantry is annoying.
It's not pedantic and it's not free. You paid specifically for the service and that service includes things you may not be interested in or things that have not come out yet.

It's not free. It's not a gift. You paid and continue to pay to access it whether you specifically were after it or not.

A free game is a game you pay absolutely nothing for. As in you obtain a copy of the game itself and exchange nothing for it. Whether or not you have the means to play it doesn't even matter - the game itself was free.

No matter how many times you try to twist and redefine it Callisto Protocol on PS Plus is not free.

Hestar69

It probably has more in common with Condemned than anything else. The way you can chain melee hits to a gun blast can be likened to beating a hobo with the REBAR BENT then zapping them with the taser.
damn you sold me on downloading it. I LOVE me condemned 1/2..shame we never got a 3rd

RPS37

We need to keep this thread moving because even though I’ve only played about an hour, I feel like the 5/10 Edge review was ridiculous.

GymWolf

It probably has more in common with Condemned than anything else. The way you can chain melee hits to a gun blast can be likened to beating a hobo with the REBAR BENT then zapping them with the taser.
It should be bannable to put condemned and callisto on the same sentence for any type of comparison :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

And no, melee combat is nothing alike, one request skill, the other you can press a stick in a direction 30 min before the attack and still evade, they play in a completely different way.

It is like saying that dark messiah and dark souls play the same because you can kick enemies in both games...

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It is NOTHING like condemned.

Just because you have the forums biggest hard on of hatred for this game doesn’t mean any opinion you have of it is correct. Chill lol

Christ I’ve never seen such unnecessary hate towards certain games as I do here. It’s videogames. They didn’t rape your mother.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Just because you have the forums biggest hard on of hatred for this game doesn’t mean any opinion you have of it is correct. Chill lol

Christ I’ve never seen such unnecessary hate towards certain games as I do here. It’s videogames. They didn’t rape your mother.

Nice deflection, but the game is still nothing like condemned, deal with it.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Nice talk, the game is still nothing like condemned, deal with it.

It absolutely is. It’s a horror game with a strong melee and tension focus using similar weapons to beat the piss out of baddies. That’s Condemned. The only thing Callisto is missing is crime scene investigations and a big fucking bear.

And it’s no deflection. Any time this game is brought up (it could be in a fucking Rick & Morty thread) you have to appear like someone rang the fucking dinner bell just to beat your drum for the 800th time on how much you hate it. We fucking get it 😂

Last edited:

GymWolf

It absolutely is. It’s a horror game with a strong melee and tension focus using similar weapons to beat the piss out of baddies. That’s Condemned. The only thing Callisto is missing is crime scene investigations and a big fucking bear.
Sure thing buddy, they are like twins from a different mother...and father...and planet...and probably universe.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Sure thing buddy, they are like twins from a different mother...and father...and planet...and probably universe.

I never said anything like that but hey if you wanna keep on living with dumb shit like that clanging around in your head have at it ✌🏻

*Also it’s not even 7am here. Not starting my day arguing with GYM WOLF 😂 over dumb game shit. Peace homie

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
It is NOTHING like condemned.

When I was beating the hell out of monsters in Calisto, I got flashbacks to beating up hobos in Condemned. Sure, the melee combat in Condemned is way more nuanced, but that's just means that it took longer to become tedious.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I never said anything like that but hey if you wanna keep on living with dumb shit like that clanging around in your head have at it ✌🏻
You can't just list a couple of things they have in common to say they are similar, i literally did the same with dark messiah and dark souls, and in a list war, these 2 have more stuff in common than callisto and condemend, and yet they are still totally different games.

I can literally do the same with wildly different games, if you don't get that, then we are done.

If my friend advised me to try callisto because it is similar to condemned, i would have one less friend...

It is particularly bad when you consider that i LOVE condemned so if callisto was even remotely similar, i would not hate that game so much.

Having an horror atmosphere and melee combat means jack shit kn the grand scheme of things.

Let's just agree to disagree dude, it's not the end of the world.

Last edited:
(y)
I wonder who made that nonsense as the de facto standard way of saying what content is included in GP and Plus and why practically every news site does it.

Rings of Power or House of the Dragon or countless other shows on netflix, HBO, Prime are free then also, you just happen to need a paid sub "coincidentally".

Epic Games freebies are regularly free. EA, Ubi, MS, gog, Steam and Sony also gave away games for free, rarely but without a sub or any fee attached to it, but it's never free in these paid services. It just sounds better and a lot of people are dumb enough to do marketing (for free).

The title should just omit free, maybe add Essential, and would perfectly state what it actually is.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
You can't just list a couple of things they have in common to say they are similar, i literally did the same with dark messiah and dark souls, and in a list war, these 2 have more stuff in common than callisto and condemend, and yet they are still totally different games.

I can literally do the same with wildly different games, if you don't get that, then we are done.

If my friend advised me to try callisto because it is similar to condemned, i would have one less friend...

It is particularly bad when you consider that i LOVE condemned so if callisto was even remotely similar, i would not hate that game so much.

Having an horror atmosphere and melee combat means jack shit kn the grand scheme of things.

Let's just agree to disagree dude, it's not the end of the world.

Youre just not worth arguing with. Been around here long enough to have discovered that awhile ago. I enjoy picking my battles. You just aint worth it.

And "end of the world"? Really? Settle down holy shit. Its videogames :messenger_grinning_smiling:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Gave the game a chance and tried my best to like it. It quite average. What stuck most with me were the infuriating boss fights. Especially during the last boss fight you can see shit.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Played about 2 hrs last night and i'm waiting to see when the game becomes so terrible lol

It took me literally 2 encounters to figure out the dodge mechanic and now its easily done every time. So far i really like it. You just cant play it like Dead Space which i think is what many people did and why they hated it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Played about 2 hrs last night and i'm waiting to see when the game becomes so terrible lol

It took me literally 2 encounters to figure out the dodge mechanic and now its easily done every time. So far i really like it. You just cant play it like Dead Space which i think is what many people did and why they hated it.
Nobody said the combat is hard to get. It's easy to get. very very easy to get.
Once you do it for 5 hours and with multiple enemies at a time, then you will see

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Nobody said the combat is hard to get. It's easy to get. very very easy to get.
Once you do it for 5 hours and with multiple enemies at a time, then you will see

I didnt say combat, i said dodge. Many people said the controls for dodging attacks was too hard, or felt off, etc......actual combat hasn't been hard or boring to me at all. Smashing enemies with R2 hasnt gotten old yet. I just got the first gun last night before i stopped for the evening so we'll see how that goes....

Top Bottom