• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol is free on PS Plus Right Now

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've installed it and was planning to play it tonight but instead decided to try out Cyberpunk 2.0. I'll probably pick it up next weekend.

skit_data

Is the GRP recharge bugged? I've tried waiting for a long while (over 3 minutes) for it to start recharging but it simply doesn't start recharging, rendering it more or less useless?

StueyDuck

Yeah so I finished this the other day. What a totally ok to decent experience, the only let down is the sequel bait and like most these games the final boss is ass.

But I enjoyed it from start to end, I have no idea why it was lambasted so hard by modern media, I guess it didn't run well? I know on PC it was borked

Definitely would rate it a 7.5-8.0 game on the ign scale

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yeah so I finished this the other day. What a totally ok to decent experience, the only let down is the sequel bait and like most these games the final boss is ass.

But I enjoyed it from start to end, I have no idea why it was lambasted so hard by modern media, I guess it didn't run well? I know on PC it was borked

Play the DLC.

Aint no sequel bait :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

You shimmy load non stop in the game

PC version was awful stutter mess

Combat is a joke

Horrible enemy variety

Basically one actual boss

Not scary

——

Just a few reasons it got dunked on. From the same studio that made dead space they didn’t even meet their own quality standard.

StueyDuck

You shimmy load non stop in the game

PC version was awful stutter mess

Combat is a joke

Horrible enemy variety

Basically one actual boss

Not scary

——

Just a few reasons it got dunked on. From the same studio that made dead space they didn’t even meet their own quality standard.
I've played lauded AAA games that do much worse.

I'd shimmy load anyday over loading screens every 5 seconds 🤣

Seriously the game is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be, as someone whose actually played it now I feel silly for listening to such complaints Originally.

I never said it was a perfect game but it not nearly a bad game by any stretch of the imagination. Again I've played far worse and far more boring games this year alone

It's also not from the same studio, just the director and all things considered he couldn't just make a copy/paste game some liberties had to be taken, it's clear the team didn't have nearly the same talent as the OG DS but that's to be expected.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I've played lauded AAA games that do much worse.

I'd shimmy load anyday over loading screens every 5 seconds 🤣

Seriously the game is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be, as someone whose actually played it now I feel silly for listening to such complaints Originally.

I never said it was a perfect game but it not nearly a bad game by any stretch of the imagination. Again I've played far worse and far more boring games this year alone

It's also not from the same studio, just the director and all things considered he couldn't just make a copy/paste game some liberties had to be taken, it's clear the team didn't have nearly the same talent as the OG DS but that's to be expected.
I mean the dude left the studio lol.

The game is a 6/10. Keep in mind too prior to release they touted this literally as the first AAAA release game.

The dead space remake shed even more light on this being “ok at best” compared to prior works this team was being held to standard for. I mean it’s a horror game without even one good jump scare in it.

I went into this thinking 9/10 for sure, and wow what a stinker.

Thankfully RE4Remake hit my survival expectations and went beyond them.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
The only thing scary in this game is the checkpoint system, the fact that I'm playing on hard doesn't help either...

It's 10-15 minutes of wading through the environment/crawling through ducts followed by 30 minutes of restarting/reloading the checkpoint/save due to the idiotic enemy encounter scenarios every.single.time.

After a while, it stops being "atmospheric" since everything becomes showstopping, ain't no fun in thinking "shit, here we go again" every time there's a 3-4 enemies at the same time scenario knowing that you'll have to spend minimum 20-30 minutes reloading the latest checkpoint, after a while it just gets tedious.

It's a husk of a game, absolutely soulless and completely deserving the bad reception it got IMO - especially considering this is from the same guy that created dead space.

I LOVE horror/action horror but I know I'd be mad if I - somehow - had spent 70 big ones on this, it's just...not fun

Last edited:

MacReady13

Game was good. Story was fine. The overreaction to this game is something else! Atmosphere was there. Made me jump a few times as well! It was no scarier than Dead Space was to be honest (Dead Space didn't scare me at all).
Overall, a perfectly fine game that unfortunately was hyped beyond belief and didn't deliver on that massive hype.

StueyDuck

I mean the dude left the studio lol.

The game is a 6/10. Keep in mind too prior to release they touted this literally as the first AAAA release game.

The dead space remake shed even more light on this being “ok at best” compared to prior works this team was being held to standard for. I mean it’s a horror game without even one good jump scare in it.

I went into this thinking 9/10 for sure, and wow what a stinker.

Thankfully RE4Remake hit my survival expectations and went beyond them.
See I was expecting a 3/10 by how lambasted it got and I ended with a 7-8/10

StueyDuck

Game was good. Story was fine. The overreaction to this game is something else! Atmosphere was there. Made me jump a few times as well! It was no scarier than Dead Space was to be honest (Dead Space didn't scare me at all).
Overall, a perfectly fine game that unfortunately was hyped beyond belief and didn't deliver on that massive hype.
Yeah dead space (and the resident evil games) aren't scary games to me, to me the last of us has the same level of horror as these titles.

To me these games build tension more than scares and to callistos credit I felt tense a couple of times.

It did however lack the great set pieces that DS had, I will say, thank fuck it didn't have the usual invincible enemy you have to kite that these games normally have, I hate those types of encounters.

Rac3r

If you have PS Plus, don't let the reviews stop you from playing this game. No, it didn't live up to the hype, but it's a pretty fun game with great cinematics and a creepy atmosphere. And while the gameplay loop is pretty one dimensional, it doesn't overstay its welcome at ~10 hours. Perfect for this time of year.

skit_data

Finished my playthrough the other day, took about 10-15 hours in total.
Yeah, what to say...

Callisto Protocol is a very mixed bag with some truly puzzling decisions made in regards to the gameplay design and at times some truly impressive graphics (I noticed the upper back of my PS5 was pretty damn warm after playing it for a few hours, something I can't remember noticing with any game before this).

The more I played it the more I realized it's actually more akin to TLOU1 than Dead Space in terms of gameplay.
That might sound promising at first but personally I consider TLOU1 to be pretty mediocre in terms of gameplay. But TLOU1 has something that Callisto Protocol lacks: well written characters, narrative and one hell of an ending.

Callisto Protocols story is very forgettable and feels like a mashup of standard scifi-horror plotpoints mixed with a bit of Shutter Island. Wierdly enough, it still manages to be confusing because the characters don't actually exchange meaningful information that could have been some kind of clue about what they were going for.
It also has a Bioshock 1 end game boss that just.. doesn't do anything but make you wonder what the hell they were thinking.

Still, it was still worth playing IMO, because it made me realize what works so well in Dead Space.
It's really hard not to compare the games due o the release dates and the very similar aesthetics plus Schofield being Callistos director. But Dead Space is by far the better game, both the original and the remake.

There's some good gore, some "damn this game looks pretty damn good"-moments and very well crafted sound design. It's just waay too animation heavy, playing it feels like constantly battling Jacobs desire to finish the animation caused by the players input 2-3 seconds ago. This is what makes it feel like less like Dead Space and more like the worst aspects of TLOU1 and Hellblade: Senuas Sacrifice with some shallow, generic sci-fi horror sprinkled on top.
Maybe it could've held it's own if it just felt a bit better to play and stuck the landing story wise.

It's a 6/10 game for me. A fine game to finish in a weekend since it's "free". Would've been pretty damn pissed if I had preordered it with the expectations I had before release.

Why can you run sometimes, and other times you can't? I'll be holding the button and dude will just casually walk while getting beaten to death.

engstra

Finished it last night. I really enjoyed my time with it but there are a lot of issues with it. Would give it a 6/10.

Really loved it up to chapter 5 but the last 3 chapters really drags it down for me. The story is about as generic as they come and the story beats they take feel so undeserved as they haven't built up the connection between characters at all. That said loved the atmosphere and looks absolutely stunning, especially the section when stepping outside on the planet.
I enjoyed the melee as it felt impactful and the gore but the dodge-mechanic is an odd choice, especially as it works on all enemies even the bosses. The melee does remove any sense of horror though as you always have an effective way of defending yourself and don't have to be resourceful with ammo.
Absolutely hated the section with all the blinds. I see what they were going for but there was no tension there whatsoever since as long as you stay in crouch mode you can just walk up to them and stab them in the neck and it won't alert enemies even if they're standing in a group.

The game has received more shit than it deserves on this forum though. It's not a disaster, it just simply didn't live up to the hype people had for it.

Vblad88

I like it for being a game where after each autosave there is a segment to figure out where to go and how to fight or you’re dead. Gives „Another World” vibes a bit. But definitely it is not groundbreaking and should have been sold at AC: Mirage price point from the start to be successful. And not so overhyped

Last edited:
Top Bottom