• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart on PC match - and exceed - the PS5 experience?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Now they are doing comparison of the crowd density knowing full well that Performance RT mode on the PS5 halves the crowd density. This is so disingenuous.

None of this is neccessary because the PS5 VRR mode runs this at native 4k 40+ fps. So any comparisons they might have wanted to do with PC couldve been done using that mode. Especially since at 60 fps the game becomes cpu bound.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
We keep trying to mention other games cause we have no point.
You said it was because the game was PS5 at heart. I said that there's another PS5 only game on PC without these issues. That's what they call a point.
Of course it can. Loading isn't confined to transition between menu and in-game, level 1 to level 2, etc. That's why the i/o was always going to be a big deal.
If the correct textures don't show up after a while it's clearly not a loading problem.

Last edited:

Bojji

Yeah, at 8GB of RAM, the system was always pagefiling the slow-ass HDD which was the main cause of the stutters. 16GB+ should be fine.

Data still have to be copied from HDD no matter what so unless you are loading all levels into RAM in a loading screen you will have stutters even with 64GB of RAM.

yamaci17

Now they are doing comparison of the crowd density knowing full well that Performance RT mode on the PS5 halves the crowd density. This is so disingenuous.

None of this is neccessary because the PS5 VRR mode runs this at native 4k 40+ fps. So any comparisons they might have wanted to do with PC couldve been done using that mode. Especially since at 60 fps the game becomes cpu bound.

both ways, ps5 slaughters the so called enhanced PC version. none of these pesky miniscule details would be able to equlizate how bad the port is

But it has high framerates so you can be sure everyone will actually cheer on it! like spiderman.

Pedro Motta

Their whole analysis is full of weird moments, even when the game is stuttering on the SATA SSD - "It looks ok, doesn't bother me" when in any other situaltion they would bash it to oblivion.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Dude, chill out. It's a simple Let's Play video from a preview build. You guys also lost your fucking minds when they did that for RE4 Remake and shut up once they came out with the actual analysis a few days later. There will likely be an actual comparisons video and proper performance analysis. This one is just them playing and mostly doing unscripted stuff.

S0ULZB0URNE

He said he has a system with 64GB, not how much RAM the game uses.

HDD with a shitty PC. Wanna see a good PC with HDD.
His PC is good with 64gb and it had issues using a hdd.
Yeah, at 8GB of RAM, the system was always pagefiling the slow-ass HDD which was the main cause of the stutters. 16GB+ should be fine.
Huh?
The correct textures never loads. Obviously a bug. Unless you think the PC can only handle PS3 level texture quality.
To try and match the data streaming effect sacrifices might of been made to avoid longer load times etc.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Does this shock you?

SlimySnake

both ways, ps5 slaughters the so called enhanced PC version. none of these pesky miniscule details would be able to equlizate how bad the port is

But it has high framerates so you can be sure everyone will actually cheer on it! like spiderman.
Yeah, i was surprised to see him use DLSS Quality at 4k on a freaking 4090. TBH, that would explain why they didnt choose the PS5 fidelity mode. It probably outperformed the 4090 running this game natively.

nikos

What a silly question.

Running the game at 5760x2400 ultrawide, completely maxed out and getting over 100 FPS. Game feels really nice on mouse & keyboard. I have the PS5 version and the difference is night and day for so many reasons.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Yeah the whole comparison isn’t about fps but the differences in quality and portals. The PS5 120hz mode would’ve been a way better comparison. Even in this performance RT mode, the PS5 is still outmatching the maxed out PC in a few areas.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You said it was because the game was PS5 at heart. I said that there's another PS5 only game on PC without these issues. That's what they call a point.

If the correct textures don't show up after a while it's clearly not a loading problem.
It's not built around PS5,pales in comparison visually and is still a different game.

Textures not loading up is exactly a loading issue.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Their whole analysis is full of weird moments, even when the game is stuttering on the SATA SSD - "It looks ok, doesn't bother me" when in any other situaltion they would bash it to oblivion.
Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Noticed a lot of pop in on the port. Funny how a launch title still holds up. There has to be some truth to the I/O messaging.

But I think that is buried for future PS5 titles now, because Sony want good PC ports in the future . I do think they will force their Dev's to not max out the I/O (basically already did that when allowing slower then first announced SDD speed for the user replaceable SDD)

Zathalus

To try and match the data streaming effect sacrifices might of been made to avoid longer load times etc.
I can buy that if the correct textures eventually loads, but it never does.

Man these arguments are almost word for word the same that happed in The Last Of Us PC thread. PC obviously couldn't do what the PS5 could. All those issues were patched and is now working fine. Same exact thing is going to happen here

yamaci17

too much vram usage on nvidia cards maybe?
the video in question has a literal 24 gb flagship 4090

Yeah, i was surprised to see him use DLSS Quality at 4k on a freaking 4090. TBH, that would explain why they didnt choose the PS5 fidelity mode. It probably outperformed the 4090 running this game natively.
yeah I wonder how the performance stacks up against 2080 and alike. probably brutal murder. I will test this on my 3070

Last edited:

SlimySnake

yeah I wonder how the performance stacks up against 2080 and alike. probably brutal murder. I will test this on my 3070
Nice. Alex said its heavier than their Spiderman ports which IIRC had the PS5 on par with 3070. Though it was likely CPU bound whereas this is using the GPU for decompression.

Of course it can. Loading isn't confined to transition between menu and in-game, level 1 to level 2, etc. That's why the i/o was always going to be a big deal.
And when they fix the bugs just like TLOUS1 will you publicly admit you were wrong?
Ofcourse not. People love to jump to the "Its the SSD Stupid" when its just the fact that its a bad port.
And when an update fixes it in 2 months, these same ppl just erase the fact they ever made those statements.
Its quite amusing to see.

This is clearly a bad port all in all.

Gaiff

Nice. Alex said its heavier than their Spiderman ports which IIRC had the PS5 on par with 3070. Though it was likely CPU bound whereas this is using the GPU for decompression.
No, that was Uncharted 4. The 2070S could perform reasonably well compared to the PS5 but had a major VRAM bottleneck. The 2080 Ti which is equal to a 3070 easily outperforms the PS5 and unlike the 3070, its 11GB of VRAM aren't a problem.

Fredrik

RT shadows on the grass looks like crap. RT reflections looks wonky too in some spots. And I was praising Nixxes so much. 😕
Another patching marathon incoming…

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

well at leats my pic proves there are higher res textures there . Just need to wait for the bug fixes as usual.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Dude, chill out. It's a simple Let's Play video from a preview build. You guys also lost your fucking minds when they did that for RE4 Remake and shut up once they came out with the actual analysis a few days later. There will likely be an actual comparisons video and proper performance analysis. This one is just them playing and mostly doing unscripted stuff.
It's their first video on this game and will likely get the most hits. These kind of lazy comparisons arent something they should be proud of.

Also, look at the title of the article. 'Can Ratchet on PC match and exceed the PS5 experience?'

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Not familiar with page filing?
Not familiar with the PS5's I/O data streaming that reaches over 20gb/s with oodle compression?
I can buy that if the correct textures eventually loads, but it never does.

Man these arguments are almost word for word the same that happed in The Last Of Us PC thread. PC obviously couldn't do what the PS5 could. All those issues were patched and is now working fine. Same exact thing is going to happen here
Different game.
It was improved with patches but still has pauses to load.
yep. in that they can't find the correct texture. not a speed problem... just a game one.
The often praised from PC people Nixxes missed this?

🙄

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Noticed a lot of pop in on the port. Funny how a launch title still holds up. There has to be some truth to the I/O messaging.

But I think that is buried for future PS5 titles now, because Sony want good PC ports in the future . I do think they will force their Dev's to not max out the I/O (basically already did that when allowing slower then first announced SDD speed for the user replaceable SDD)
Or...they can raise the minimum specs for their PC ports?

At least until Direct Storage gets more use.

Just based off this game, looks like SSD should've been the min requirement.

Mr.Phoenix

Just started watching it and these morons are using Performance RT mode to compare against PC RT MAX settings. I really fucking hope they have a valid reason for this because this is borderline retarded and why everyone hates their guts.
well.. at least they used dlss quality on the PC?

Couldn't understand why they compared with performance RT though... why didn't they use the 40hz mode on the PS5?

Gaiff

Not familiar with the PS5's I/O data that reaches over 20gb/s with oodle compression?
Has fuck-all to do with what we're talking about. Don't say buzzwords you clearly don't understand.

The discussion is about 64GB of RAM being necessary in order not to require page filing a slow-ass HDD. Do you understand any of what I said? If yes, then you won't bring up any of that nonsense you just typed.

Gaiff

It's their first video on this game and will likely get the most hits. These kind of lazy comparisons arent something they should be proud of.

Also, look at the title of the article. 'Can Ratchet on PC match and exceed the PS5 experience?'
Most people won't watch those guys bumble for 1 hour. I watched 5 minutes and stopped. Don't have that much free time. I'll watch a proper comparison video that is 30 minutes or less and I'd wager most people will also do the same. This is exactly like their RE4 Remake let's play which was boring and irrelevant.

Looks stunning on my 4090. This game is incredible whether you play it on a high-end PC or a PS5 like I originally did.

An excellent port despite some issues with textures not loading as well as the PS5 version. I'm happy I double-dipped :messenger_beaming:

I'm getting up to 120fps on my 4090 with Frame generation turned OFF and everything set to max at 4K DLSS. I'm sure I can get much higher frames if I turn frame generation ON but it doesn't seem necessary with this game.

Yea, last two pics are gameplay with the HUD turned off....

Czv8AEr.jpg

TKTPJbV.jpg

ZrPZ1lD.jpg

t1EMQrq.jpg

S0ULZB0URNE

Has fuck-all to do with what we're talking about. Don't say buzzwords you clearly don't understand.

The discussion is about 64GB of RAM being necessary in order not to require page filing a slow-ass HDD. Do you understand any of what I said? If yes, then you won't bring up any of that nonsense you just typed.
What part of John's tweet saying he used a hdd in his 64gb build did you not comprehend?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Looks stunning on my 4090. This game is incredible whether you play it on a high-end PC or a PS5 like I originally did.

An excellent port despite some issues with textures not loading as well as the PS5 version. I'm happy I double-dipped :messenger_beaming:

I'm getting up to 120fps on my 4090 with Frame generation turned OFF and everything set to max at 4K DLSS. I'm sure I can get much higher frames if I turn frame generation ON but it doesn't seem necessary with this game.

Yea, last two pics are gameplay with the HUD turned off....

Czv8AEr.jpg

TKTPJbV.jpg

ZrPZ1lD.jpg

t1EMQrq.jpg

thats cool and all but scale your pics! lol

Top Bottom