• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart on PC match - and exceed - the PS5 experience?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
well.. at least they used dlss quality on the PC?

Couldn't understand why they compared with performance RT though... why didn't they use the 40hz mode on the PS5?
It simply doesnt make any sense to even use DLSS quality on PC because he is only using half of the GPU if you look at the GPU usage. less than half.

It should run the game at native 4k 60 fps easily. maybe some drops here and there but if the GPU usage is only 48% at 4k dlss quality then it should be good enough to do native 4k and get more or less the same framerate.

They arent even doing a performance analysis here. just an analysis of the visuals.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
What part of John's tweet saying he used a hdd in his 64gb build did you not comprehend?

He said he has a system with 64GB, not how much RAM the game uses.

This is what I replied to and you replied with "huh". If you understand what page filing is, then you wouldn't have answered with a post about oodle and the PS5's i/o. It has absolutely nothing to do with that.

It's very polished and has great IQ and performance on PS5 so I wouldn't double dip unless I wanted ultra wide.

Some games are worlds apart when you compare PS5 to a good PC but I think I would struggle to tell these apart without really pixel peeping.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What part of John's tweet saying he used a hdd in his 64gb build did you not comprehend?
He didn't say how much RAM the game was using (could be using less then 16GB) and if he was running with everything on "ultra" and RT shadows and AO, things that PS5 I/O only dreams about.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm assuming they were rushed to get this port out sooner which is the reason for the texture/shadow issues

S0ULZB0URNE

This is what I replied to and you replied with "huh". If you understand what page filing is, then you wouldn't have answered with a post about oodle and the PS5's i/o. It has absolutely nothing to do with that.
Making a custom page file wouldn't change these results.

Speaking of shock... S staticshock , get in here buddy. It's your duty to spread the word of "Sony's bs SSD marketing" whenever this topic comes up in a NeoGAF thread. What do you have for us today?

Dude the marketing around Sony's SSD were/are BS and has been thoroughly debunked so I don't have to rehash that again.
I don't even have to even rehash that forspoken loaded faster on PC using DirectStorage 1.0.
The overall SSD myth has nothing to do with this game.

The problems in this game is that its a bad port. The RT BVH is completely broken, shadows are broken, AF is broken, textures are broken and never load and you claim its the Power of the PS5 SSD/IO..

The same way it was said that TLOUSP1 troubles on PC was due to lacking the PS5 SSD/IO.
We know that it turned out to be false.

So are you claiming that these obvious port issues won't be cleared out in the next acouple patches?
Or are you claiming this is it?

If you are sticking to your guns, then bet on it.

Depends on if you classify the shit HDD performance and lagging performance of top shelf PC during portal sequences a "bug"
The shit 10 years old HDD performance has nothing to do with the "God-tier SSD/IO" marketing gimmick. There are games that literally will suffer or not run on HDD (Starcraft, Starfield, MS Flight Sim, etc).

Its to be expected.

Lastly what you call lagging performance is clearly broken unoptimized part of the game.

1. Again are you claiming that future patches won't resolve or completely eradicate these issues?

2. Are you claiming this game and release version by a developer who has released multiple ports with issues in a row and have had less than 6 months access to GPU DirectStorage is the ceiling for DirectStorage?

3.What will you do when a future update eliminates these issues?

Again you won't answer these questions, because most people don't want to be responsible for what they say and want to duck in and duck out.

Anyways, Great game. Looks great, hopefully the patches come out quicker than TLOUS P1 then I can play it.

S0ULZB0URNE

He didn't say how much RAM the game was using (could be using less then 16GB) and if he was running with everything on "ultra" and RT shadows and AO, things that PS5 I/O only dreams about.
9tChl7k.png

Gaiff

Making a custom page file wouldn't change these results.
...I don't even know why you answer that.

rodrigolfp rodrigolfp said "we don't know how much of the 64GB is being used", to which I replied, 16GB would likely be fine because it would be enough to avoid page filing the system like a computer with 8GB of RAM would because 8GB is most definitely not enough.

Then you replied "huh" and went on about oodle. Has nothing to do with what we were talking about.

FireFly

Their whole analysis is full of weird moments, even when the game is stuttering on the SATA SSD - "It looks ok, doesn't bother me" when in any other situaltion they would bash it to oblivion.
Rich says at the end of the video that the game isn't enjoyable for him due to the stutters, which get worse after the beginning level.

Midn1ght

I'm assuming they were rushed to get this port out sooner which is the reason for the texture/shadow issues
Need more test about this, we have someone here who doesn't have the texture streaming issue when playing without RT (AMD GPU), so right now it seems like RT is bugged in many ways (Lower reflection quality sometimes, bad RT Shadows on grass, etc...)

Ti Rt GIF by NVIDIA GeForce

T4keD0wN

Something isnt right with his setup.. here is mine.

HreiTZY.jpg
Is this pic taken with any kind of upscaling or running native?

I wonder if its DLSS messing up the textures and if it can be fixed by adjusting LOD bias. Gonna try messing around with it once i finish downloading.

Last edited:

Killer8

I'm really glad I chose to hang onto my PS5 copy. Yet another port with asset streaming issues (and numerous other ones from the looks of it).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I can buy that if the correct textures eventually loads, but it never does.

Man these arguments are almost word for word the same that happed in The Last Of Us PC thread. PC obviously couldn't do what the PS5 could. All those issues were patched and is now working fine. Same exact thing is going to happen here
If a $399 box is giving devs an easier time to achieve this vision and on much more expensive PC’s we need to give more time to optimisation experts to match it…

I wonder what custom HW could be helping it to punch above its weight and achieve its goals with less effort/shorter timeline using cheaper HW… 🤔.

Think Which One GIF

Last edited:

Lysandros

My favorite part is when they act so surprised when even the high end PC with 7.1 GHz nvme SSD and I9 12900K CPU is noticeably slower at loading the portal transitions compared to PS5's 5.5 Ghz SSD and (essentially) R5 3600 level CPU. Because you know, the whole custom I/O complex within the PS5 APU doesn't really exist...

FireFly

They really do? Fuck, that must be a new low.
No, they make fun of the stutters during the video, and Rich says they make the game not enjoyable for him on those specs. Also they highlight an additional delay seen on PC but not on PS5 during portal transisitions. I assume no one has mentioned it yet because people haven't watched the video.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Dude the marketing around Sony's SSD were/are BS and has been thoroughly debunked so I don't have to rehash that again.
I don't even have to even rehash that forspoken loaded faster on PC using DirectStorage 1.0.
The overall SSD myth has nothing to do with this game.

The problems in this game is that its a bad port. The RT BVH is completely broken, shadows are broken, AF is broken, textures are broken and never load and you claim its the Power of the PS5 SSD/IO..

The same way it was said that TLOUSP1 troubles on PC was due to lacking the PS5 SSD/IO.
We know that it turned out to be false.

So are you claiming that these obvious port issues won't be cleared out in the next acouple patches?
Or are you claiming this is it?

If you are sticking to your guns, then bet on it.

The shit 10 years old HDD performance has nothing to do with the "God-tier SSD/IO" marketing gimmick. There are games that literally will suffer or not run on HDD (Starcraft, Starfield, MS Flight Sim, etc).

Its to be expected.

Lastly what you call lagging performance is clearly broken unoptimized part of the game.

1. Again are you claiming that future patches won't resolve or completely eradicate these issues?

2. Are you claiming this game and release version by a developer who has released multiple ports with issues in a row and have had less than 6 months access to GPU DirectStorage is the ceiling for DirectStorage?

3.What will you do when a future update eliminates these issues?

Again you won't answer these questions, because most people don't want to be responsible for what they say and want to duck in and duck out.

Anyways, Great game. Looks great, hopefully the patches come out quicker than TLOUS P1 then I can play it.

Movie Hello GIF by 1091

With his bullcrap again….

Gaiff

SlimySnake SlimySnake winjer winjer yamaci17 yamaci17

From Beyond3d

my main video coming on friday is pretty no non-sense. I say it feels unfinished and unpolished within the first few mins there. Sony pushing it out the door too early. Nixxes are very talented and know how to do good things, so many things not right at launch tells me the time table was bad.

The main video is coming out on Friday. You really shouldn't read too much into this as I said like 5 times now. It's a long and dirty video that isn't scripted.

Zathalus

I figured this would happen. Yesterday, Nixxes was their Port Messiah, today they are officially demoted to lazy dev status. Just so long as there's no admission of PS5 having a very potent i/o solution that can't be easily replicated via alternative methods.
Apparently the PS5 also has better RT hardware as well, as the reflections are not great on PC either. Hell the RT reflections are so good they don't even work on AMD cards.

It's amusing you are trying to spin this narrative again after what happened with The Last of Us PC port:

It's not glitched, just low resolution textures for certain hardware that's not up to the task.

Wow, wonder how that turned out.

JimboJones

No, they make fun of the stutters during the video, and Rich says they make the game not enjoyable for him on those specs. Also they highlight an additional delay seen on PC but not on PS5 during portal transisitions. I assume no one has mentioned it yet because people haven't watched the video.
Or doesn't fit their narrative 😬

Anyway, the Steamdeck looking to run it fairly well. Not even on the lowest settings here either.

Gaiff

This guy has 4090 and doesnt have the texture issue either like me.
I've seen the texture issue once so far but haven't been able to reproduce it. Most textures seem to load instantly otherwise. I haven't really noticed any pop-in and that one time that they didn't load, I reloaded the game and they appeared immediately.

Not sure what the problem is but this game has a few issues such as broken RT and AF in some places.

Top Bottom