• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China warns Trump against abandoning Paris climate agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
China.....cares?

Increasing number of protests forced their hand. Chances are they don't really care about the environment that but the number of protests started to shake their rule. It's why outside of environment they're not exactly progressing well.

Russia is fudging some numbers but they do understand their economy / social unrest won't be able to survive if more and more environment issues come up.

China and Russia may be big but they're not as stable as USA, Canada, Germany, etc. so when shit does hit the fan from climate change they're going to feel a great force of social unrest due to poverty and demands from their countrymen. This also applies to the middle east where eventually some places may not be poor friendly due to heat. It will get worse and they know they're going to feel it extra hard.

badb0y

I don't get it...

I mean, isn't climate change something that can be measured, studied and confirmed by scientists? why does Trump have to believe China or any foreign country?

aren't there any american, white, male, straight scientists around him that can confirm or debunk the existence of climate change?

American conservatives have gone off the deep end. The moment when 95%+ of the world's scientists agreed that climate change was real and man-made it should have ended the argument but here we are.

Kenai

American conservatives have gone off the deep end. The moment when 95%+ of the world's scientists agreed that climate change was real and man-made it should have ended the argument but here we are.

Yea, it's really, really, really depressing holding an Environmental Science degree in the midwest.

The ignorance towards China and their stance on climate change in this thread is incredible.

Tell me more. What do i not get?

koji kabuto

I don't get it...

I mean, isn't climate change something that can be measured, studied and confirmed by scientists? why does Trump have to believe China or any foreign country?

aren't there any american, white, male, straight scientists around him that can confirm or debunk the existence of climate change?

But science is a lie

“I'm not a big believer in man-made climate change."
— Trump in an interview with Hugh Hewitt, Sept. 21, 2015

“Well, I think the climate change is just a very, very expensive form of tax. A lot of people are making a lot of money."
— interview on Fox and Friends, Jan. 18, 2016

“We're going to cancel the Paris climate agreement."
— speech in Bismarck, N.D., May 26, 2016

This very good read article:
Trump and Pence on science, in their own words
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rump-and-pence-on-science-in-their-own-words/

and my favorite:

“You know, you’re not allowed to use hair spray anymore because if affects the ozone. You know that, right? . . . I said, ‘Wait a minute — so if I take hair spray and if I spray it in my apartment, which is all sealed, you’re telling me that affects the ozone layer?' ‘Yes.' I say, no way, folks. Now way. That’s like a lot of the rules and regulations you people have in the mines, right? It’s the same kind of stuff.”
— speech in Charleston, W.Va., May 5, 2016

Disxo

Wow, oil money gets one in 20

Russia has to take it seriously. They'll be getting the first big doses of methane gas once that permafrost starts melting and those ancient forests start rotting.

Oriel

Pure optics by the Russians and Chinese. Portray themselves as the voices of environmentalism while at the same time continuing to burn through fuck tons of coal, oil and gas. Hypocrites.

Russia has to take it seriously. They'll be getting the first big doses of methane gas once that permafrost starts melting and those ancient forests start rotting.

What, you actually believe Putin is a rational actor?! Russia continues to be a massive global polluter and its cities, particularly those in eastern Russia are absolute toxic dumps. The Kremlin under his rule has done little to rectify the disastrous legacy of Soviet heavy industrialisation.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Pure optics by the Russians and Chinese. Portray themselves as the voices of environmentalism while at the same time continuing to burn through fuck tons of coal, oil and gas. Hypocrites.

You can't stop overnight. It's not that easy because it's decades of infrastructure.

China has the per capita emission of not even the EU. And that even as the largest export nation in the world.

What are you talking?

Love the ignorance of Americans that they have somehow the moral high ground over anyone in this regard.

From what I heard, the right (or at least Mark Levin and co) love bringing up this clearly completely legit petition that 31,000 scientists signed saying that there was no link between humans and climate change. Because if those scientists agree, the rest who don't are all obviously just frauds, zealots, and extremists

Of course only 9.000 of those had doctorates in any field, and only 200 were actually climate scientists. And the petition wasn't for agreeing that there was no link at all, but that human emissions wouldn't cause catastrophic change. So if you think it would cause change, but not "catastrophic" change, you might still sign.

China is the world's leading investor into green.

Did you expect them to close down all coal, oil, and gas plants in a night?

Peltz

It's insane to me that protecting the environment is still a political issue. It's based on science and facts.

I still haven't heard a compelling argument for climate change not being real (other than the guy with the snowball of course /s)

Replicant

Not surprised that China finally changed the tune after the smog that almost choke their population.

It's typical of humanity that we are only motivated by self-interest. Maybe when Donald Trump starting to feel the climate change fucking up his business he'll sit up and take notice.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don't get it...

What makes you think Trump would ever have a conversation with a scientist? Or if he did, that he would understand anything about what they discussed? Can you imagine Donald personally evaluating a research study on climate issues put on his desk? Can you imagine Donald performing a comparative analysis between multiple studies and determining inherent biases in the data?

The guy doesn't know how to use a computer or the internet. He's 70. He has assistants type and submit his tweets for him while he dictates word for word. Set a course for rock bottom.

Xun

I truly weep for our Earth.

We really can't afford 4 more years of denial by the US.

It's good China is pushing for change though.

What makes you think Trump would ever have a conversation with a scientist? Or if he did, that he would understand anything about what they discussed? Can you imagine Donald personally evaluating a research study on climate issues put on his desk? Can you imagine Donald performing a comparative analysis between multiple studies and determining inherent biases in the data?

The guy doesn't know how to use a computer or the internet. He's 70. He has assistants type and submit his tweets for him while he dictates word for word. Set a course for rock bottom.

This assumes too much on Trump's intellectual capacity regarding anything remotely scientifical. (Sad!) I can't even imagine how he'll handle bills that hit his desk.

And are you still living in Thailand(?)? Do you plan on staying away from the US long-term?

Oriel

You can't stop overnight. It's not that easy because it's decades of infrastructure.

China has the per capita emission of not even the EU. And that even as the largest export nation in the world.

What are you talking?

Love the ignorance of Americans that they have somehow the moral high ground over anyone in this regard.

China is the world's leading investor into green.

Did you expect them to close down all coal, oil, and gas plants in a night?

I'll just remind you three that Russia is actually ramping up arctic drilling while China builds more coal fired power stations. Don't be suckered by the spin and propaganda of these two violently oppressive dictatorial regimes that lie as a matter of course.

And I'm not American.

What, you actually believe Putin is a rational actor?! Russia continues to be a massive global polluter and its cities, particularly those in eastern Russia are absolute toxic dumps. The Kremlin under his rule has done little to rectify the disastrous legacy of Soviet heavy industrialisation.

WTF? China in renewables alone produces as much as France and Germany's total power output combined.

They have the largest Wind Resource in the world, they are the largest producer of Photovoltaic Cells in the world, and their investment grows every year.

Trump will undo all environmental protocols implemented over the past 30 years, in a matter of days

Nikodemos

Absolutely coincidentally, and in no way related to this latest news, China and Russia are at the forefront of new nuclear construction and research.

At the beginning of this month, Russia connected Beloyarsk's BN-800 reactor to the commercial grid. The BN-800 is the world's largest, most powerful breeder (produces more fuel than it consumes) reactor. This week, the first trial of a brand new repeated-reprocessing fuel was started. This new fuel may be reprocessed up to 5 times until it becomes too polluted with neutron poisons, allowing for 60 years of functioning on the same (refreshed) charge.

China has begun the construction of its first nuclear barge, a 200 MWt, 60 MWe unit. Frankly, I'm somewhat unhappy at this development, since it signifies a new stage in the Great Race. That kind of nuclear barge would be perfect to power a deep-sea-floor gas/oil thermal cracking plant, or a seabed metal nodule mining/smelter, or even a seawater winnowing plant, meaning increased aggressiveness in redrawing sea borders.. Also, they've opened a new research centre in the UK.

Codeblue

That's where we are now? China is lecturing us on climate change?

Could have had Clinton's green jobs initiative, but now we're trying to weasel out of a treaty to resurrect obsolete jobs, while destroying the planet.

I'll just remind you three that Russia is actually ramping up arctic drilling while China builds more coal fired power stations. Don't be suckered by the spin and propaganda of these two violently oppressive dictatorial regimes that lie as a matter of course.

And I'm not American.

Lol, propaganda

Being the highest investor and builder of renewable energy is propaganda.
Having a flat or even shrinking output of co2 emissions over the last three years is propaganda.
A shrinking amount of coal in the energy mix is propaganda,
Importing less coal is also propaganda.

Oriel

whichever country invests the most into renewables will win out in the long run, have fun mining coal

Long term I still believe the US will remain a leading player in renewables, despite the rising to power of the Trump. Energy policy is something that transcends presidential terms and accounts for the long term. And right now that policy is to gradually reduce reliance on oil/gas and move towards green sources of energy. Remember it was Bush II, the Texan oil man, who stated the US was "addicted to oil" and would need to change. That was extraordinary for a Republican president to state.

In an ideal world moving towards renewables should be done out of environmental concerns for the planet. But the actual motive to move away from dirty fossil fuels is more to do with financial profit and business interests. Fossil fuels are getting to the point of being a fiscal burden than anything else, with green energy increasingly being seen as better way of saving money for businesses. In time the GOP will also come to this realisation, they always end up coming around when their corporate donors tell them to stop being such damn idiots.

Fossil fuels are a dead end, something the petro-states of Venezuela, Saudi Arabia and Russia are finding out to their costs.

Oriel

WTF? China in renewables alone produces as much as France and Germany's total power output combined.

They have the largest Wind Resource in the world, they are the largest producer of Photovoltaic Cells in the world, and their investment grows every year.

Trump will undo all environmental protocols implemented over the past 30 years, in a matter of days

8KkYzqb.png

Lol, propaganda

Being the highest investor and builder of renewable energy is propaganda.
Having a flat or even shrinking output of co2 emissions over the last three years is propaganda.
A shrinking amount of coal in the energy mix is propaganda,
Importing less coal is also propaganda.

Whatever. You continue believing the shit being pumped out of the Kremlin and CPC if you like.

i really hope trump doesn't tell china to fuck off (even though I know he will/already has, essentially)

if this presidency causes rockier relationships with china we're in for some shit

trump might go down as the worst president of all time (if he doesn't already)

8KkYzqb.png

Whatever. You continue believing the shit being pumped out of the Kremlin and CPC if you like.

Your own linked data shows that Russia and China are better than the USA already.

Although the per capita data is screwed in favor of the USA with its large traddeficit.

Ploid 3.0

I started to think maybe Trump's advisors will inform him that climate change is real when he's in office, but it seems like he's just surrounding himself with people that think alike (climate change skeptics).

That's another thing, people say Obama shouldn't have gave republicans positions in his cabinet since Trump is going all out crazy Republicans, but it's good to have a variety of thinkers on a team.

Isn't most of that from traffic? So really, the local Beijing gov needs to start subsidizing electric cars.

They already do. a lot of people in beijing are getting electric cars because they also don't have hte restrictions of only being able to drive them every other day.

And no, coal plants are still the biggest contributing factor in china to global warming. But they are starting to move to greener energy. Such as Nuclear Power, solar, and wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom