• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China warns Trump against abandoning Paris climate agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
China and Russia are now the good guys.

I mean, Russia did do the whole Crimea thing and the propaganda against LBGT people and all that shit. But yeah, if they wanna push climate treaties, they can go right the fuck ahead. I guess even bad people are smart enough to understand that a fucked world isn't fun to rule over.

8KkYzqb.png

Whatever. You continue believing the shit being pumped out of the Kremlin and CPC if you like.

china's emissions per capita are much lower than the US

China also has ~4 times the population of the United States

I'll just remind you three that Russia is actually ramping up arctic drilling while China builds more coal fired power stations. Don't be suckered by the spin and propaganda of these two violently oppressive dictatorial regimes that lie as a matter of course.

And I'm not American.

Russia is shaky but China has been improving.

Do you have any sources that say China is literally not reducing or not even trying?

Nikodemos

If anything Japan is absolutely dismal for such a high-tech country. Then again, they are also one of the top per-capita producers of waste in the world.

South Korea too.

If anything Japan is absolutely dismal for such a high-tech country. Then again, they are also one of the top per-capita producers of waste in the world.

Such data screw in favor of countries with large trade deficit like the USA.

A more logical and useful way to rate co2 emissions is by consumption.

Oriel

Your own linked data shows that Russia and China are better than the USA already.

Although the per capita data is screwed in favor of the USA with its large traddeficit.

The per-capita data is skewed because China has such a massive population.

Also, read this. It explains that a decline in coal isn't translating into decline in CO2 emissions. The decline in coal usage is likely because of a weakening in China's GDP growth rate. When that growth rates increases so too would coal use:

In its usual mode of “under-promising and over-delivering,” China’s leadership insists that carbon emissions have not yet peaked. After all, energy is a large - but not the only - contributor to carbon emissions. China’s urbanization goals, which would have 60 percent of the nation’s people living in cities by 2020, could lead to emissions increases of as much as 25 percent. Simple back-of-the-envelope calculations using China’s official statistics and Premier Li’s Work Report confirm the Chinese government’s stance (Figure 1). From Premier Li’s Work report, GDP increased 6.9 percent and carbon intensity (CO2 emissions per unit GDP) decreased 6 percent from 2014 to 2015. A simple calculation shows during the 12th Five-Year Plan that CO2 emissions grew at a rate of 0.486% from 2014 to 2015. While carbon intensity decreased from 2011-2015, carbon emissions grew, albeit at a slower rate.

Many economists believe that China’s official GDP growth rates are overstated, suggesting that the leveling off of the nation’s emissions is a result more of the economic slow-down than any other factor.

As demand for fossil power drops, so do prices. Given low-carbon fuels’ additional cost, when a renewable push comes to a fossil shove, expect countries to choose the cheaper option. Russia’s recent history provides an example of this energy consumption rebound, as that country’s emissions peaked at 3.5 GtCO2e before the collapse of the USSR then sunk to a low of 2 GtCO2e after. The nation has since steadily increased its emissions. Indeed, Russia has an inadequate plan to reduce GHG emissions according to Climate Action Tracker, and it is projected to increase emissions through 2030.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/making-sense-of-china-s-drop-in-coal-use/

South Korea too.
it's still much better than some of the other countries on the list, but the per capita emissions are surprising, yeah. South Korea emits almost as much per capita as the US, and their population is ~1/6 of the US

Oriel

It also a significantly smaller GDP/capita than the US. If China had a GDP/capita that of the US it too would have a massively enlarged emissions per capita footprint. And China continues to grow that footprint in case you were wondering.

Nibiru

Banned

Is there any certainty on how much carbon China emits? Maybe I'm missing something but according to this article no one really knows.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-climatechange-insight-idUSKCN0SX0WS20151108

No one currently knows how many tonnes of carbon China emits each year. Its emissions are estimates based on how much raw energy is consumed, and calculations are derived from proxy data consisting mostly of energy consumption as well as industry, agriculture, land use changes and waste.

Many outside observers view the accuracy of those figures with skepticism.

"China's contribution (to the global climate plan in Paris) is based on CO2 emissions but China doesn't publish CO2 emissions," said Glen Peters, senior researcher at the Center for International Climate and Environmental Research in Oslo. "You're left in the wilderness, really."

Did things change?

Is there any certainty on how much carbon China emits? Maybe I'm missing something but according to this article no one really knows.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-climatechange-insight-idUSKCN0SX0WS20151108

Do things change?

i was just basing it off of the chart that was linked, i don't know much beyond that except for the fact that china is at least trying to improve on the renewable energy front

It also a significantly smaller GDP/capita than the US. If China had a GDP/capita that of the US it too would have a massively enlarged emissions per capita footprint. And China continues to grow that footprint in case you were wondering.

you can speculate on what if scenarios, but those aren't the facts currently. If you want to use the chart you linked that's fine, but that chart just shows that china is doing better than the us in emissions per capita

Crayolan

The Chinese negotiators added that “any movement by the new US government” would not affect their transition towards becoming a greener economy.

When you have more faith in China to protect the environment than the US you know things are fucked. For once I hope the rest of the world sides with China.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Citation needed, as most sources report China CO2 emissions reducing both in 2014 and in 2015.

Oriel

Did things change?

The problem many NGO's have with countries like Russia and China is that there is no real way to validate the figures these governments release to the UN. GDP numbers have for years been met with a healthy dose of scepticism, and rightly so.

Oriel

i was just basing it off of the chart that was linked, i don't know much beyond that except for the fact that china is at least trying to improve on the renewable energy front

you can speculate on what if scenarios, but those aren't the facts currently. If you want to use the chart you linked that's fine, but that chart just shows that china is doing better than the us in emissions per capita

It sounds like you're just picking a type of statistic to suit your own bias. That's fine BTW but I'll go with total emissions that shows China as the world's #1 polluter if it's all the same.

Citation needed, as most sources report China CO2 emissions reducing both in 2014 and in 2015.

See the Scientific American link above.

The per-capita data is skewed because China has such a massive population.

Also, read this. It explains that a decline in coal isn't translating into decline in CO2 emissions. The decline in coal usage is likely because of a weakening in China's GDP growth rate. When that growth rates increases so too would coal use:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/making-sense-of-china-s-drop-in-coal-use/

Well, yeah, your article even says why coal use would go up: China is not industrialized yet. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to convince people of? That they're lying about investing in solar and wind? That they're secretly burning coal without telling people?

*scratches head*

Nibiru

Banned

I just linked an article with this quote

"China's contribution (to the global climate plan in Paris) is based on CO2 emissions but China doesn't publish CO2 emissions," said Glen Peters, senior researcher at the Center for International Climate and Environmental Research in Oslo. "You're left in the wilderness, really."

and then we have

http://www.climatechangenews.com/2016/03/28/chinas-co2-emissions-might-not-be-falling-study/

Analysts from the International Energy Agency (IEA) to Greenpeace were quick to declare emissions cuts in 2014 and 2015, from the world’s highest-emitting country. Researchers from CICERO found that was premature...

Given uncertainties in the raw data, it is impossible to say with confidence whether emissions rose or fell last year, said third author Glen Peters.

Basically no one has a clue what China's emissions are.

Anticol

Banned
How Americans must feel now that even China are turning into the good guys and old good 'murica are looking so bad?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is scary as shit...i remember when China was the one who was wishy washy and didn't even care about this shit, having major smog in their biggest capital to the point of lung cancer being a frequent occurrence. If they are now trying to push through certain accords, the situation must be more dire than we thought

How Americans must feel now that even China are turning into the good guys and old good 'murica are looking so bad?

It feels twice as bad because it was directly against my wishes that the candidate to face off against trump was one of the weakest and least prepared to deal with his brand of politic.

Most of America did not vote for Trump or his ilk. But we've got him.

massoluk

Banned
It sounds like you're just picking a type of statistic to suit your own bias. That's fine BTW but I'll go with total emissions that shows China as the world's #1 polluter if it's all the same.

OK... Why would we not use Per Capita? Don't you think there are reason it was included in the chart? None of these even disprove the other poster's original point about China's investments.

Really ironic coming from China. Aren't they still using coal as their primary energy source?

Like the USA?

Well, one nation is trying to reduce the share of fossil fuel so fast as possible.

Spoiler

It's not the USA

OK... Why would we not use Per Capita? Don't you think there are reason it was included in the chart?

Hey, a nation more populated than North America and Europe together has no right producing more co2 emissions than a 300 million country!

OK... Why would we not use Per Capita? Don't you think there are reason it was included in the chart? None of these even disprove the other poster's original point about China's investments.

Per capita is nice but we also have to take into account most of China is really poor. If you took it by wealth, chances are it would mirror USA, Japan, or Canada.

watershed

Banned
Of course the Chinese would say this, they invented global warming to suffocate American innovation. /s

But seriously, when China and India are the adults in the room talking about climate change, you know the US is losing its place in the world.

LeleSocho

Banned
Jesus god almighty, if China of all the people warns you about your bad climate change plans you know you screwed up incredibly.

ezrarh

Maybe the solution to climate change is that the US becomes so poor that our CO2 per capita drops below India's.

hamchan

You're the one picking the statistic to go along with your bias!! Why the heck wouldn't we use a per capita basis?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Have you read it? Because that article states that carbon intensity (CO2 emissions per unit GDP) has decreased for 5 years in a row, which means that your theory about the direct correlation to GDP growth rate is flawed at best.

And the worst estimations for the CO2 emmisions is that they stagnated or very slightly increase while the population and GDP growth rates are much bigger.

That doesn't say that it can't happen in the future that China will be again the bad guy in this area, but for now they are definitely not and the trend is positive.

Maybe the one who should take off the propaganda glasses is you.

I just linked an article with this quote

Even CICERO calculations have reached this conclusion:

Factoring that in, along with data for oil and gas, CICERO calculates China’s emissions rose 0.5% in 2014 and decreased only slightly – 0.1% – in 2015.

Considering that both GDP and population grew more than that in both years I don't see how one can spin this as a bad thing. Even ignoring the big reduction in coal consumption .

GeoNeo

I disagree.
China has done more than U.S has done to switch to more renewable energy in recent years.

It's fucking sad when other countries point at China as the big bad country offloading blame as if these western countries don't all use China as the fucking manufacturing plant of the world.

Woorloog

Banned
Don't worry guys, it will take just one call from Putin to bring US back to reason.

Eh, Putin and Trump may have ties but i doubt Trump cares now. Being president will inflate his over-inflated ego even more, i think.
I really wouldn't be surprised if Trump complains about Putin and Russia at some point for no particular reason.

Though Putin is probably good enough manipulator... but is he good enough? With Trump, all bets are off i think.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
goddamn this thread

can't believe Americans live in such a huge bubble.

the population lives in individual bubbles that group to make an even bigger bubble to separate you from the other bubble and then those two bubbles create an even bigger bubble.

we in bubble city bub.

Nibiru

Banned
Considering that both GDP and population grew more than that in both years I don't see how one can spin this as a bad thing. Even ignoring the coal consumption big reduction.

You can't just ignore this though if you have uncertain data then...

Given uncertainties in the raw data, it is impossible to say with confidence whether emissions rose or fell last year, said third author Glen Peters.

and China doesn't publish CO2 emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom