• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China warns Trump against abandoning Paris climate agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you're just picking a type of statistic to suit your own bias. That's fine BTW but I'll go with total emissions that shows China as the world's #1 polluter if it's all the same.

See the Scientific American link above.

i'm not, you're correct in the regard that china is the world's number one producer of greenhouse gases, but that isn't the whole story, as china has an enormous population as well, which obviously plays a role into why there is so much gas produced

i'm not saying that China is great, obviously they still need to improve quite a bit too, but there are areas that they do excel in over the US

regardless, I'm glad China wants to keep focusing on renewable energy, and I'm glad they're calling Trump out on his plan to reinvigorate the fossil fuel industries

Nibiru

Banned
i'm not, you're correct in the regard that china is the world's number one producer of greenhouse gases, but that isn't the whole story, as china has an enormous population as well, which obviously plays a role into why there is so much gas produced

i'm not saying that China is great, obviously they still need to improve quite a bit too, but there are areas that they do excel in over the US

regardless, I'm glad China wants to keep focusing on renewable energy, and I'm glad they're calling Trump out on his plan to reinvigorate the fossil fuel industries

They are far less than great because from what I've been reading their transparency is bottom of the barrel. No one has a clue they just extrapolate with data and numbers that they can't even verify because China doesn't supply the information. It feels like China has been given a ton of slack just so that the world can say they are on board.

Also forget their renewable energy "focus" you say they have because if they are hiding data then nothing they say they are doing matters. It looks like they are bsing everyone.

So if China produces enough electricity from renewables to power all of France and Germany combined, then why aren't Germany and France 100% renewable energy yet?

This nationalism bullshit needs to stop. Yah China has major human rights issues, but Americans are the hypocrites now since you just elected a rapist and pro-torture dude as your leader, who thinks science is a Chinese hoax.

Face it, it doesn't matter where you are in the world, rich people run the shit. Same shit that happened with lead corporations and tobacco corporations, is now happening with fossil fuel corporations.

Even when the world goes to shit they will still figure out ways to divide the populace on these issues.

Not surprising, considering China has been spearheading both research in renewable energy and installations, especially in the cases of solar and wind generation. Of course this doesn't mean that CO2 emissions are going to fall down quickly enough to stop the upcoming problems related to Climate Change – as developing and newly industrialized countries are entering the game and thus have a greater need for energy for their nations. But there is a need to strengthen current actions against emissions to avoid the disastrous results of a changed Biosphere.

The whole thing makes the latest appointments in the Department of Energy and the EPA even more infurating.

So if China produces enough electricity from renewables to power all of France and Germany combined, then why aren't Germany and France 100% renewable energy yet?
Because China has strengths that both France and Germany lack. And even so, even if Germany is a leader in solar energy the fact remains that the current technologies are not able to provide the stable generation that an economy of that size needs. Fossil fuels need to be displaced indeed, but it will happen in a gradual way to avoid disrupting economic growth – regrettably so for the sake of the planet, as changes are unavoidable at this stage.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
People really need to go to China and compare how many electric vehicles there are on the road versus the US. It will probably shock you.

Future

Yeah the us is gonna become the bad guy in this if you believe in climate change. His whole platform is that everything is a hoax and business wise, this is how china keeps us down. Trump is a proven liar so I wouldn't be surprised if he backs down on this, but I'm guessing that he will not, or he will try to renegotiate terms when he is able.

RiZ III

Russia and China fighting the good fight?? Surely we are living in that one bizarre alternate universe where everything has gone crazy.

Kimawolf

Maybe the rest of the world needs to sanction the U.S. lets see how that works out. Because we are absolutely going to ruin the environment for the kids and teens. It always pisses me off, these old, 70 something bastards just don't care because they won't have to deal with the massive flooding on the coasts of droughts/desertification in the midwest.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They are far less than great because from what I've been reading their transparency is bottom of the barrel. No one has a clue they just extrapolate with data and numbers that they can't even verify because China doesn't supply the information. It feels like China has been given a ton of slack just so that the world can say they are on board.

Also forget their renewable energy "focus" you say they have because if they are hiding data then nothing they say they are doing matters. It looks like they are bsing everyone.

"Nobody has a clue" is one of the lamest spins I saw in a while.

I bet you don't even realise the irony in the fact that you're using non-scientific extrapolation based on a limited set of data to reach a definitive conclusion.

ohlawd

It's like you never met an American before.

second time someone's said this to me in a short period of time lol

but yeh seems to me the clueless drown out the knowledgeable in the States.

the population lives in individual bubbles that group to make an even bigger bubble to separate you from the other bubble and then those two bubbles create an even bigger bubble.

we in bubble city bub.

fuckin' bubbleception

commissar

-> International (& US) consumers need to pressure US companies/exporters to adhere to the Paris agreement.

-> Extreme tariffs on those who don't. It's not like anyone has to worry about damaging a free trade agreement anymore :V

ggx2ac

a minorty of people.

Who I quoted said that Trump is at fault and not the US, my point was that the American people aren't absolved because they are the ones that put Trump in power.

Also, what you're saying makes it sound worse because a minority of people put Trump in power. Remember that 46.9% or approx. 108 million people didn't even vote. Regardless of the Electoral College, the President wasn't the only thing on the ballot but also state or local district issues to vote on. The so called greatest democracy in the world doesn't take voting seriously to save themselves from Trump.

Lime

America right now.

LazyShoddyGodwit.gif

we the bad guys now D:

Guess America has lived long enough to become the villain

This is the tragedy. We can longer even pretend that the US is still a force for good in the world.

From leading the world to no. 1 villain of the planet in one swift election.

How far my country has fallen...

The world turned upside down.

Turns out AMERICA is the bad guy.

How Americans must feel now that even China are turning into the good guys and old good 'murica are looking so bad?

The US have never ever been the "Good Guys" when it came to curbing Climate Change. The US and its corporations have been a major force in stopping any political action taken in the last 30-40 years.

You guys need to wake up from the delusion that the US is somehow a "good guy" country.

im just going off the chart that oriel linked and the other sources that wikipedia offered

obviously im not an expert in the field

Anticol

Banned
The US have never ever been the "Good Guys" when it came to curbing Climate Change. The US and its corporations have been a major force in stopping any political action taken in the last 30-40 years.

You guys need to wake up from the delusion that the US is somehow a "good guy" country.

What are you talking about, Trump is just a fluke that doesn't prove anything. /s

The idea that America has ever been the best when it comes to trying to reduce our carbon footprint is funny as hell. For every one step we do to fix it we go 5 steps into dumping coal ash into the water and salting the grounds.

America will never care about the environment so long as the idea exist "it's very expensive and not that great solutions anyway" as long as the idea of money is in anyone's mind when thinking how to be green will never result in any great progress being made for America being green.

Lesser of three evils!

People really need to go to China and compare how many electric vehicles there are on the road versus the US. It will probably shock you.

A lot of poor people that can't afford cars buy electric powered bikes, and "hoverboards" to travel. Then there's also public transportation. There are so many people crowded in trains, it's really a sight to see.

Lime

Seriously, the US corporations threw tons of money at climate skeptics across European countries to spread doubt about whether climate science was real (and these people are still around and trying to cast doubt). And working with US politicians when it came to negotiations were incredibly up-hill and frankly impossible back in the 90's and 2000's under Bush.

I'm glad the Paris accord got through (however flawed it may be) and that Obama and his administration made a push for it. For that I'm grateful. But the past decades before that, the US' extreme use of resources and emissions and unwillingness to even move a little towards clean energy was arguably the worst in the world.

M3d10n

Pretty interesting that China of all people would warn about this

Very interesting

Makes you think, doesn't it?
It's mostly because the consequences of pollution (both local and foreign) and climate change actually hit China way harder than it does the US due to geographic reasons.

It's mostly because the consequences of pollution (both local and foreign) and climate change actually hit China way harder than it does the US due to geographic reasons.

Where I'm from, we used to have Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. Now it's mostly Winter, a few days back and forth, then 9+ months of summer. I'm sweating my ass off here in November. I actually put on a long sleeve shirt today thinking it would be chillier. OOPS.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
this was part of the strategy. make the US look like the belligerent one and then everyone will come to papa china and papa russia

Just a note...

China, in the year 2015, invested $286 billion in USD equivalents for renewable energy.

How much did the USA invest in that same time frame? $44.1 billion.

Lol this thread is filled with delusional Americans. Carbon footprint of avg Chinese is around 1/2 of avg American. They are doing better than you and are improving. "But...but China is the number one in total admission!" No joke there are also 1.4 billion people there. China has a lot of environmental issues to deal with, but U.S(or N.A. really) should be the last to point finger at anyone regarding to climate change, with or without Trump in the White House.

StormKing

Is China trying to bait Trump?

If he reverses course on this, then that would be viewed as capitulation to China.

If he abandons the Paris climate agreement, that would negatively affect the relationship that the United States has with its allies.

Lime

Is China trying to bait Trump?

If he reverses course on this, then that would be viewed as capitulation to China.

If he abandons the Paris climate agreement, that would negatively affect the relationship that the United States has with its allies.

Which is in line with his isolationist policy and individualistic (egoistical) ideology

Madness

When China is seen as more progressive than the US on climate change and environmental policy, you dun goofed America.

Air

Banned
Good. Maybe he'll listen to all of these countries, though I doubt China saying this is particularly helpful given he already thinks they made it up

Usobuko

Banned
Lol this thread is filled with delusional Americans. Carbon footprint of avg Chinese is around 1/2 of avg American. They are doing better than you and are improving. "But...but China is the number one in total admission!" No joke there are also 1.4 billion people there. China has a lot of environmental issues to deal with, but U.S(or N.A. really) should be the last to point finger at anyone regarding to climate change, with or without Trump in the White House.

The thinking of " the life of one chinese guy is not equal to the life of one white american guy. "

That's how these people were brought up with anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom