• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD MW2 editions leaked, cross gen, beta first on PlayStation

Bartski

Gold Member
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

kyliethicc

They did announce the next warzone was next gen only I think, so I can somewhat understand people getting hopeful for new gen only.

Back in February they gave out some details to some media people.

Said that CoD MW2 and Warzone 2 are coming.
New updated engine, will be used for all CoDs going forward.
New modes, maps, design changes, etc.
Looking to add FOV slider on PS5 and XBS for Warzone 2.
Most of their users are still on last gen. Have to support it.

No official word yet if Warzone 2 will be cross gen. Rumor says it’s not.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
How anyone is surprised this is cross gen is beyond me. Call of duty is a money making op first and foremost. You think Activision was go leave that last gen money on the table?
Not surprised, but it will make for some interesting posts once the acquisition goes thru.

Since some are so against cross gen. I want everything to be current gen too, but sometimes...it is what it is.

3liteDragon

No official word yet if Warzone 2 will be cross gen. Rumor says it’s not.
I’m 99% sure WZ2 is current-gen only, the game’s supposed to be a reset for them since they’re gonna be starting from scratch. Making it cross-gen would be the dumbest fucking mistake they can make, half the issues in the game came from having to optimize for all platforms including the last-gen consoles.

kyliethicc

I’m 99% sure WZ2 is current-gen only, the game’s supposed to be a reset for them since they’re gonna be starting from scratch. Making it cross-gen would be the dumbest fucking mistake they can make, half the issues in the game came from having to optimize for all platforms including the last-gen consoles.
Agreed.

Darsxx82

Its hilarious at this point.

All IP owned by MS:
Deathloop - timed PS5 exclusive
Ghost wire Tokyo - timed PS5 exclusive
Psychonauts 2 - Playable on PS4/PS5
COD MW2 2022 - Everything first on PlayStation

And there you have the reason why MS buys big publishers..... Put an end to the massive buying strategy of AAA 3rds temporary exclusives by Sony that takes advantage of its dominant position to reach these deals.

That being said, AcTBlz is not yet owned by MS and therefore the existing agreements must be upheld and furthermore will be honored by MS even after the acquisition.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And there you have the reason why MS buys big publishers..... Put an end to the massive buying strategy of AAA 3rds temporary exclusives by Sony that takes advantage of its dominant position to reach these deals.

That being said, AcTBlz is not yet owned by MS and therefore the existing agreements must be upheld and furthermore will be honored by MS even after the acquisition.

The answer to timed exclusives... is not to outbid Sony for timed exclusives (which probably spent millions.....) but instead spend over 80 ...billion.....

Makes perfect sense.

:pie_eyeroll:

Maybe Sony shoulda been buying publishers during the PS360Wii days...going by this logic.

Acquisitions are whatever, there's no need to try to justify it.

Last edited:

elliot5

Maybe by then the Activision acquisition will actually be complete.
Everyone thinking Activision is already a Microsoft entity..........its not.

P.S Did they just say CrossGen?
What the flex.....I was sure MW2 was going to be nextgen only.
If MS already had Activision this was a perfect way to get people to actually jump on nextgen, so everyone Sony included can abandon lastgen.
Tell people COD and Warzone 2 is only available on nextgen machines and those order queues would run around the planet.
Warzone 2 may be next gen only, but who knows. This being cross gen makes sense. There's no COD next year. Supply will ramp up or the market shares will have grown since then and by COD 2024 they'll be in a good position to release next gen only.

jaysius

Banned

All IP owned by MS:
It really is hilarious, because they gain all the money and have a wider audience than limiting the games to singular platforms.

Sony Jingos really don't know how business works.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
That’s nice of them to include a cross gen version, cod games keep getting better and better.

SpokkX

Is this.. a remake of some old cod? Never played cod but i get confused about the names.. is this singleplayer? Or multi?

Do people even like singleplayer cod?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

All IP owned by MS:

It's hilarious that all parties are abiding contractual agreements ?

CamHostage

Stop playing nice and take games away from competing platforms.
Just like Sony or Nintendo would do, too

Activision Blizzard isn't just a Microsoft development factory. (It also isn't owned by Microsoft just yet.) It's still a publisher, with its own bottom line and business plan to worry about. Likely we'll see a move towards Xbox favoritism if not pure exclusivity (depending on how Microsoft monetizes its conglomeration,) but there's value in remaining multi-platform too, and in fact right now it looks to continue to be way more value than anything Microsoft could offer with just the Xbox platform.

Also, the days of console dick-measuring is drawing to an end. They're all looking for bigger, broader markets for their brands. MS is going huge on subscription, Sony is in there too, Nintendo has been on mobile (although that didn't work out and they are pulling back, for better or worse,) Sony and MS have purchased studios such as Mojang and Bungie that they have/will operate as multiplatform producers. It's not a battleground won or lost by what you can take out of the competition's hands.

Last edited:

kyoji

I believe the term being thrown around on these forums when mlb the show was announced as going to gamepass was “cucked” so i wonder what this is called.. im starting to see a pattern here 🧐

Last edited:

CamHostage

This cross gen shit needs to go. How long are they going to let it hold back games.

What are all these next-gen exclusive games people are pointing to as proof that cross-gen is the problem?

This was not a console transition like others. The architecture wasn't massively divergent, there weren't new rendering or other techniques right on the cusp of use (the techniques that are new, like Nanite, were not and in some ways are still not quite solidified for commercial product use for launch titles,) and the pandemic pushed lots of early products that would have been out last years now into 2022 and beyond while keeping some of the second-wave titles from coming out on time to really flex the hardware.

With or without a past-gen version in the SKU set, what we are seeing on PS5 and Xbox Series X is generally what these developers know they can make with this hardware right now. In time, that will change, but the state of game development is as much a part of cross-gen games as the state of the market.

It's not even that uncommon a situation. People think PS4 and Xbox One roared like a next-gen lion right away (and they did have impressive software in Killzone Shadowfall and Ryse to show off), but there's tons of cross-gen in there as well that still kept up with the market. Plus the wait for Unreal Engine 4 was similarly long-suffering (we didn't get anything unquestionably mindblowing with UE4 until maybe Gears 4, three years after the consoles launched.) It's a longer timeline than ever and there aren't the weird outliers that launched with a crazy tech-demo effort, but honestly, this gen isn't that different than before.

Last edited:
This cross gen fuckery needs to stop.

What incentive is there for people to purchase these new consoles if they're going to continue to release games for old systems.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Need some good remakes of maps like Rundown, Invasion and Karachi.

Rundown one of fav COD maps all time. Dont think it ever got remade in any game as a classic map.

Darsxx82

The answer to timed exclusives... is not to outbid Sony for timed exclusives (which probably spent millions.....) but instead spend over 80 ...billion.....

Makes perfect sense.

:pie_eyeroll:

Maybe Sony shoulda been buying publishers during the PS360Wii days...going by this logic.

Acquisitions are whatever, there's no need to try to justify it.
It is very linked if you understand the context. And no, the context is not the same for Sony as in previous generations. The current context is very different.

MS seeks content control. And for that it has to fight with a competition (Sony/Playstation) that is in a position of dominance and has used this to deprive its competition (Xbox) of content.

MS options, wanting to compete in the gaming business, were 2:

1- Enter the race of buying exclusive AAA thirds like Sony but paying for them 2-3 times more.

2- Buy publishers and gain ownership and control.

MS has opted for the latter, among other reasons, because its interest goes beyond consoles.

Banned
This cross gen fuckery needs to stop.

What incentive is there for people to purchase these new consoles if they're going to continue to release games for old systems.

uhm... are you aware that there were 3 cross gen Call of Duty games last gen? Ghosts, Advanced Warfare and Black Ops 3... so this should not be a surprise to anyone. that's just how CoD Works

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Cross gen...come on man, I want my pc to explode with graphics! Why we still doing this

Last edited:
uhm... are you aware that there were 3 cross gen Call of Duty games last gen? Ghosts, Advanced Warfare and Black Ops 3... so this should not be a surprise to anyone. that's just how CoD Works
And what the fuck does that have to do with this current situation? The fact that happened doesn't mean the same pattern needs to be repeated now. When are they going to drop old gen? I'm also aware there was a pandemic but fuck me, what incentive is there to buy new consoles if everything is anchored by outdated hardware.

I'm itching to pick up a PS5 but if all games are going to be cross gen then I may as well just stick to my PC for the foreseeable or until these cretins can start showing us why we need a next gen console.

Last edited:

Banned
And what the fuck does that have to do with this current situation? When are they going to drop old gen? I'm also aware there was a pandemic but fuck me, what incentive is there to buy new consoles if everything is anchored by outdated hardware.

call of duty games are pretty easy to run on low end hardware, so they will release CoD games on that hardware until they deem it not worthy anymore.
hell, they ported multiple PS360 era CoD games to the Wii... a system less powerful than the original Xbox

call of duty games are pretty easy to run on low end hardware, so they will release CoD games on that hardware until they deem it not worthy anymore.
hell, they ported multiple PS360 era CoD games to the Wii... a system less powerful than the original Xbox
I understand where you're coming from. I'm disappointed that we're almost what, 2 years now into next gen and we're still being fed games that barely move the needle on the new hardware. Its like buying a Ferrari but having the engine limited to 150hp.
So what's the point then of needing the latest and greatest consoles.
Just continue playing COD on your fucking toaster.

Crossgen. Into the trash it goes.
I'll drink to that.

Last edited:

Banned
I understand where you're coming from. I'm disappointed that we're almost what, 2 years now into next gen and we're still being fed games that barely move the needle on the new hardware. Its like buying a Ferrari but having the engine limited to 150hp.
So what's the point then of needing the latest and greatest consoles.
Just continue playing COD on your fucking toaster.

I'll drink to that.

sure, but Call of Duty was never a series to push consoles graphics. so it's the wrong franchise to be bummed about imo. Now if say Watch Dogs 4 or GTA 6 would be announced today as cross gen titles, that's when I would be concerned, because especially open world titles benefit from the gigantic leap in CPU speed of the new consoles

sure, but Call of Duty was never a series to push consoles graphics. so it's the wrong franchise to be bummed about imo. Now if say Watch Dogs 4 or GTA 6 would be announced today as cross gen titles, that's when I would be concerned, because especially open world titles benefit from the gigantic leap in CPU speed of the new consoles

Sucks to not get next gen COD but yeah I guess that makes sense if you put it that way.

supernova8

Banned
"leaked" lol looks more like Activision gave these people a load of "leaks" and they gave them an embargo for when they could "leak" them.

Plus these "reveals" without really revealing anything are pretty irritating.

Top Bottom