• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD MW2 editions leaked, cross gen, beta first on PlayStation

Vognerful

Id be jealous more than anything. Unlike vanguard and cold war: modern warfare ‘19 was actually pretty solid and Im looking forward to this.
I am happy for you if you feel that way about this game. It doesn't take from the fact that companies are using gamers to get free labor.

kyliethicc

"leaked" lol looks more like Activision gave these people a load of "leaks" and they gave them an embargo for when they could "leak" them.

Plus these "reveals" without really revealing anything are pretty irritating.
It’s from data mining the latest Vanguard update files.

Codes 208

I am happy for you if you feel that way about this game. It doesn't take from the fact that companies are using gamers to get free labor.
Betas are more like a symbiotic development. The devs get to test their kits and fans get to plqy their awaited game prior to release, i dont see the negative in that. If anything all games should have betas.

Imagine how halo mcc wouldve turned out if 343 held an open beta and caught the server problems nearly half a year prior to release.
Or how i saved money by not buying 2042 after how shit the beta turned out.

Vognerful

Betas are more like a symbiotic development. The devs get to test their kits and fans get to plqy their awaited game prior to release, i dont see the negative in that. If anything all games should have betas.

Imagine how halo mcc wouldve turned out if 343 held an open beta and caught the server problems nearly half a year prior to release.
Or how i saved money by not buying 2042 after how shit the beta turned out.
There is no question about the advantages of beta testing your product as you have shown and I am not contesting that part. But we should not forget that or feel like they are doing us a favor, it is actually the other way around.

It is like when there are these hyped products like EV cars or tech gadgets where you can "book" you product with a downpayment now and receive it (maybe) after several years. You are just giving them a free interest loan.

Considering MW2019 had similar Playstation treatment and this is the direct sequel to that, I'm not surprised at all. I just hope the game is as good or better.

Makes sense that they wouldn't want to break contracts already set in stone.

Are some of y'all really trying to turn this into another console vs console thread? Lol.

I'm AMAZED at what people will console war over. Microsoft has no say in Activision Blizzard operations right now and existing contracts WILL be honored. I'm almost positive Sony likely has a clause to keep newer COD games off Game Pazss for at least a year. It's entirely possible we won't see a new COD launch on Game Pass till maybe 2025-2026 at the latest, 2023 the soonest. Sony's deals must be honored, after all.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
It is nice of Sony gamers to provide free labor to test the games.

Us Xbox and PC thank you for your sacrifice 🤣
Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

This cross gen shit needs to go. How long are they going to let it hold back games.
Cross gen usually lasts 2 to 2.5 years. I don't know why are people surprised.

PS3/X360 Call of Duty were still cross gen for 2013 and 2014 ans black ops 3 in 2015 had cross gen multiplayer but single-player only on ps4/x1.

kikkis

PS3/X360 Call of Duty were still cross gen for 2013 and 2014 ans black ops 3 in 2015 had cross gen multiplayer but single-player only on ps4/x1.
Hoping for new gen only SP, but I doubt it. Also wasnt bo3 mp really cut down version as well on x360 and ps3.

I Master l

Banned

BO3 was not made as a cross gen game in mind and the PS3/X360 versions doesn't pass as the BO3 experience

BO3 was not made as a cross gen game in mind and the PS3/X360 versions doesn't pass as the BO3 experience
Did you even read what I said? Or you just decided to vomit random words? I never said a word of BO3 being made as a cross gen in mind. Simply stated facts that single player was next gen only at the time and multiplayer was cross gen and that's it. I never asked or stated if it was made as a cross-gen game from start.

Jesus christ, people can't read or are just trying to sound smart because they want to feel good about themselves by adding what think is "value" to the conversation. Pathetic lol

Last edited:

Klik

Oh fuck, when are we finally gonna abandon Jaguar cores and HDD?

To be honest i can definitely see this gen last till 2030. Seems that we will start to get true next gen games around 2024..

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yall know the Activision deal finishes in 2023 and stated they would honor all contracts?
MS/Activision deal might close in 2023, but PS/COD deal is for three games, and MW2 2022 is the first of those three games:
  1. Modern Warfare 2 (2022)
  2. Warzone 2 (TBD, likely 2023)
  3. Treyarch's next COD (TBD, like 2024)
Xbox/Gamepass thing can't happen for any of these three titles around launch unless MS decides to break the contract and pay damages. Assuming nothing changes, for a COD releasing in 2025, you may expect to launch on Gamepass.

MS/Activision deal might close in 2023, but PS/COD deal is for three games, and MW2 2022 is the first of those three games:
Xbox/Gamepass thing can't happen for any of these three titles around launch unless MS decides to break the contract and pay damages. Assuming nothing changes, for a COD releasing in 2025, you may expect to launch on Gamepass.

There is no Call of Duty in 2023. It's been confirmed a skip.

Kerotan

People wondering about gamepass are delusional Lol. This will be the biggest COD of the generation and it will be pushing Playstation's not Xbox.

Warablo

Please stop with battle passes, let me buy all the content. Not pay for the privilege to grind for content.

Cross gen needs to fucking die already
No. The biggest playerbase is still on lastgen. But ok, no crossgen for you. Enjoy playing a lastgen version on your currentgen console without any optimisations. Is that what you want? Because that's what you'll get if they honor your stupid idea.
They are catering both audiences, you should be thankful.

MW2022 was in fact built optimised for current gen, but they toned down some things to make it playable on lastgen. So in all honesty.... What the hell are you whining about!?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
...first on PS4 and PS5."

FQQd6C3VcAkEvsW

Well there is a deal in place so its no biggy really. Kinda funny how people are hyping this up because when it was announced that Microsoft was buying them everybody was saying how bad the games are and now its celebrated its coming to PS first lol

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well there is a deal in place so its no biggy really. Kinda funny how people are hyping this up because when it was announced that Microsoft was buying them everybody was saying how bad the games are and now its celebrated its coming to PS first lol

I don't play COD games, but it's a funny situation.

Darsxx82

For new COD releases DAY ONE, yes, is what everything points to happen given the Sony-Activision agreement and that MS seems to respect them.... In principle, only COD 2023 and 2024 would be left out (Warfare 2 not count, it is free to play).

BUT, taking into account dates, possibly this COD MWII could arrive at the end of 2023 to Gamepass after 1 year that usually includes Sony as a period for a game not to be released in Gamepass (if such a clause exists). In 2025 you will have on Gamepass this MWII, COD 2024 and COD 2025 (The latter, day one at that time already)

That said, beyond COD, can be expected that when the time comes and the acquisition ends, all the past and next catalog of Activision-Blizard can arrive day one (Diablo IV, new Blizard IP,...). Whatever it is, the day the acquisition becomes effective, nothing prevents Gamepass from becoming the meeting point of ACT-Bliz's extensive present and future catalog, of couse COD included.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
No. The biggest playerbase is still on lastgen. But ok, no crossgen for you. Enjoy playing a lastgen version on your currentgen console without any optimisations. Is that what you want? Because that's what you'll get if they honor your stupid idea.
They are catering both audiences, you should be thankful.

MW2022 was in fact built optimised for current gen, but they toned down some things to make it playable on lastgen. So in all honesty.... What the hell are you whining about!?
You cant be serious with this take.

Cross gen is holding back the medium. I dont give a shit about optimizations. I want to see what these new consoles can really do. 2 years into a generation and no game has really truly flexed any muscles.

Last edited:
You cant be serious with this take.

Cross gen is holding back the medium. I dont give a shit about optimizations. I want to see what these new consoles can really do. 2 years into a generation and no game has really truly flexed any muscles.
You sir are correct

Zimmy68

Are they still doing the ridiculous thing where they charge $10 extra for current gen features?
Keep doing it Activision, it will be accepted someday.

Otre

Banned
Did not know it was until 2024. Thanks for the info.

Danknugz

very confused by this series. last modern warfare i played was on xbox 360 and there's been like 3 CoDs out now that are also called modern warfare. just stopped paying attention

Last edited:

kyliethicc

very confused by this series. last modern warfare i played was on xbox 360 and there's been like 3 CoDs out now that are also called modern warfare. just stopped paying attention
Oh it’s crystal clear. There’s…

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - PS3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - PS3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - PS3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare / Warzone - PS4
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered - PS4
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered - PS4
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II - PS4 PS5

lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
MS/Activision deal might close in 2023, but PS/COD deal is for three games, and MW2 2022 is the first of those three games
It's not a set number of games. COD reddit has been saying that it's yearly thing that was normally renewed in four year increments and most people believe it was last renewed in 2019, meaning 2023 is the last year before it'd need to be renewed again. And if Activision skips a year like rumored, then MW2 would be the last COD part of the marketing deal.

baphomet

It's not a set number of games. COD reddit has been saying that it's yearly thing that was normally renewed in four year increments and most people believe it was last renewed in 2019, meaning 2023 is the last year before it'd need to be renewed again. And if Activision skips a year like rumored, then MW2 would be the last COD part of the marketing deal.

That's not how it works. There will be very specific wording to guarantee x amount of games over x amount of years. Activision skipping a year isn't going to mean the contract covers less games.

I'm AMAZED at what people will console war over. Microsoft has no say in Activision Blizzard operations right now and existing contracts WILL be honored. I'm almost positive Sony likely has a clause to keep newer COD games off Game Pazss for at least a year. It's entirely possible we won't see a new COD launch on Game Pass till maybe 2025-2026 at the latest, 2023 the soonest. Sony's deals must be honored, after all.
Sure there's contracts that will be honored.

But the current belief by so many here really is absurd. Following such logic immediately results in a dead end. Such as...

• Insisting that there is a clause preventing it from ever going to Gamepass. Why? Well because there was once a contract regarding Resident Evil, so certainly the case will be the same here.

• Even if there is a clause (and there certainly could be), it's not an outright ban preventing the game from going on Gamepass. If Resident Evil is the proof, then go on and follow it through. That would suggest that Sony merely has the right to negotiate for the rights to put it on it's own sub service first.

• Finally, so many of you seem to believe that Sony will without a doubt play hardball with MS and exercise every clause possible to delay it going to Gamepass, while simultaneously believing that there would be no repercussions later for doing so.

Desperately trying to pretend Sony calls all the shots and enjoys every advantage in any given scenario is perhaps the highest level of fanboying. Sure Sony could exercise every clause in it's contract to keep CoD off Gamepass. Of course they would expect that favor returned once MS officially owns Activision. As even Jim Ryan stated. Sony has backed itself into a singleplayer cinematic corner. There's not a shred of evidence that Sony is capable of making even a remotely popular multiplayer game. Believing that any of their upcoming 12 GaaS attempts will be anything but failures is completely ignoring history. Sony trying to play hardball regarding CoD over a single title for a year at best likely results in a negative outcome for their multiplayer users going forward.
They safest bet, and one to most likely not to make one look a fool later... Is to not declare such short term things a "win" as well as pretend to know what games will be where in the future.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm interested to see how they will improve on Modern Warfare. I'm sure there's room for improvement. Not so sure they can pull it off.

Banned
I'm interested to see how they will improve on Modern Warfare. I'm sure there's room for improvement. Not so sure they can pull it off.

well they have to simply make it a bit more classic again, have more of the fun weapons the OG MW2 was known for, also bring back fan favorite maps from that game.

Top Bottom