• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will GTA6 be cross gen? Place your bets now!

Will GTA6 be cross-gen?

• Yes

Votes: 139 33.7%
  • No

Votes: 273 66.3%

• Total voters

tommib

gta6-covers.jpg

With the first trailer coming next week, thought it would be fun to start placing some bets. Next-gen (PS5/Series), cross-gen (PS4/One), Switch exclusive, Epic Store timed exclusive, place your bets!

gran-turismo-6-playstation-3-ps3.original.jpg

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I just don't see Rockstar in 2023, releasing their obviously record breaking, 2 billion dollar budget game based around notebook CPUs from 2012
Yep, it's just not gonna happen. Cyberpunk proved what a disaster it can be trying to shove a next gen game onto an old console and that was a couple years ago. Rockstar's flagship game, certainly releasing no earlier than holiday 2024, there's no way they'd pour the resources into trying to make this thing work on a PS4.

I hope so, be silly to just concentrate on graphics. Give PS4 users an epic 30fps experience with RDR2 graphics, it's more than enough for anyone! 60fps mode on PS5 would satisfy me, not even RDR2 runs at that.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Of course it will be, too much money to miss out on
What money? The whales that spend hundreds or thousands on MTX are on next-gen platforms already, and those poor third-world bastards still gaming on their PS4s will do anything to get themselves a PS5 by the time GTA VI releases either next holidays or in early 2025.

Not to mention how shortsighted would be to release this game, which will have a life on the market spanning the next 10 to 15 years, on 10 year old hardware, restraining the creative vision on a technical level.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I hope so, be silly to just concentrate on graphics. Give PS4 users an epic 30fps experience with RDR2 graphics, it's more than enough for anyone! 60fps mode on PS5 would satisfy me, not even RDR2 runs at that.
This is the major game that is going to forces existing PS4 users to migrate to PS5, and Rockstar knows this. This would be true even if they released it on PS4 for some reason.

Aren't they already releasing content in GTA Online that is exclusive to current gen? They're already doing this, why would they go back for their big game that they will support for 10 years? Doesn't make any sense.

Current gen only. They waited until people are fully committed to ps5/series so as to maximise sales while not compromising their vision. Besides, no more supply issue so little Timmy can ask daddy for that sweet ps5+ gta vi bundle.

This is the major game that is going to forces existing PS4 users to migrate to PS5, and Rockstar knows this. This would be true even if they released it on PS4 for some reason.

Aren't they already releasing content in GTA Online that is exclusive to current gen? They're already doing this, why would they go back for their big game that they will support for 10 years? Doesn't make any sense.
I'm just here creating incendiary posts about how 30fps is great to trigger rage my man :D

diffusionx

Gold Member
who said it had to release on Xbox one at all?
well cross-gen is cross-gen, but let's be real, ps4 is not that much better than Xbox One. It has a faster GPU and can push a higher resolution but it's not capable of driving a major new game.

Last edited:

Xtib81

I certainly hope not. That would hold the game back so much but at the same Time, they're greedy as fuck, so who knows..

Whitecrow

Banned
Absolutely not. That would be shooting themselves on the foot.
It's not only about money, it's about ambition, and we all know how ambitious R* is.

Releasing on last gen would mean cutting corners hardly on what they can put into the game, both graphically and gameplay, and limitting themselves to just a slightly improved version of GTA V.
I highly doubt they would do that. Nut who knows... money is money. But I dont see R* limiting their ambition this way.

Mowcno

PS5+XSX will be close to 100m sales by the time it comes out. A last gen release would barely sell anything. No point in it.

saintjules

Of course it will be, too much money to miss out on
I think a vast majority of GTA fans would actually go out and get current gen consoles just to play this. You don't think so?

Edit: I guess I can say, cross-gen after this gen, def.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think a vast majority of GTA fans would actually go out and get current gen consoles just to play this. You don't think so?
If they can yes they would but there are like what 120 million PS4s out there?

I hope I am wrong but thats a lot of consoles to pass on

iHaunter

Absolutely not. There's no way they're making it cross-gen. That would hold them back so much from a technological standpoint.

saintjules

If they can yes they would but there are like what 120 million PS4s out there?

I hope I am wrong but thats a lot of consoles to pass on

Perhaps based on this game, but there's others for example PS5 games that haven't been cross-gen yet.

I hear what you are saying though. If it's cross-gen I hope it's created afterwards and not built in mind from the beginning.

Top Bottom