• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will GTA6 be cross gen? Place your bets now!

Will GTA6 be cross-gen?

• Yes

Votes: 139 33.7%
  • No

Votes: 273 66.3%

• Total voters
Cat No GIF

Pelta88

Will Rockstar miss out extra profit by not porting the game to last gen consoles?!

hmm-thinking.gif

Last edited:

Mowcno

If they can yes they would but there are like what 120 million PS4s out there?

I hope I am wrong but thats a lot of consoles to pass on
Most PS4's are no longer used.

Ragnarok sold 82% of its physical launch copies in the UK on PS5 and only 18% on PS4 that was back in 2022. with Digital the split would be further in favour of PS5 and that's when PS5 was only at 25m sold.

Imagine how much smaller the PS4 split for crossgen games would be two years later in 2024 when the PS4 is even older and PS5 sales will be approaching 70m instead of 25m.

PS4/XBO sales will be completely negligible by this time next year especially for the sequel to a title that sold 185m copies and will probably be selling for 10+ years.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I don't think it will. At least I hope not.

Assuming GTA VI is more ambitious than their previous releases, this would mean sacrificing last-gen support.
If the plan involves supporting GTA VI with updates for a decade similar to GTA V, while also being a notable leap, I don't see them supporting 8th-gen hardware.

GTA VI being cross-gen with PS5/PS6 sounds more plausible. If GTA VI had been released around 2019/2020 I could see it being cross-gen.

GymWolf

Most PS4's are no longer used.

Ragnarok sold 82% of its physical launch copies in the UK on PS5 and only 18% on PS4 that was back in 2022. with Digital the split would be further in favour of PS5 and that's when PS5 was only at 25m sold.

Imagine how much smaller the PS4 split for crossgen games would be two years later in 2024 when the PS4 is even older and PS5 sales will be approaching 70m instead of 25m.

PS4/XBO sales will be completely negligible by this time next year especially for the sequel to a title that sold 185m copies and will probably be selling for 10+ years.
Mmm i don't know, Ragnarock is kinda of an hardcore title for passionate gamers, gta get bought by fuckin everyone mildly interested in videogames basically.

The split would not be like that most probably.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Yes but the upcoming one . I have a strong feeling that it will release within the 6 months of the Ps5 PRO release so probably between November 2024 and April 2025

Thaimasker

Did red dead 2 come out on PS3?
No way in hell. The amount of people who refuse to go next gen by 2025+ wouldn't be worth it.

Caio

No chance on earth it will run on a PS4 or XOne. Come on guys...
This will be on PS5, PS5 PRO, XBox Series, PC, PS6 and Next XBox.

GymWolf

It will be one way or another, like GTA5 is cross 3 gens.

I bet it will have a PS4/XB1 version.
Gta5 was not ported on ps2.

One thing is to put bells and whistles and re-release the game on more powerfull hardwares, another is to make a game that use 110% of a ps5 and port it on a way weaker hardware.

If a ps4 version exist, it means that the ps5 version doesn't use the full potential of the new hardware and the game is basically rdr2 in a city, that game was already maxing the capability of a ps4.

There is just so much that you can do with a jaguar and a slow ass hard disk.

Last edited:

xVodevil

Well the question is whether day1 PC or not, but don't see the point to bring this to anything besides current gen platforms

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Gta5 was not ported on ps2.

One thing is to put bells and whistles and re-release the game on more powerfull hardwares, another is to make a game that use 110% of a ps5 and port it on a way weaker hardware.

If a ps4 version exist, it means that the ps5 version doesn't use the full potential of the new hardware and the game is basically rdr2 in a city, that game was already maxing the capability of a ps4.

There is just so much that you can do with a jaguar and a slow ass hard disk.
Gta 5 didn't start development on ps2 plus they would skip a gen without a single GTA. Doom, TW3 and Hogwarts Legacy did push PS4 and PS5 hardware yet there are Switch versions. It's just a matter of RS wanting a last gen version.

Last edited:

Dorago

This will be the final answer to how many PS5's have been sold to scalpers and are rotting in storage units vs how many have been sold to people. Xboxes are irrelevant, and I'm wondering if they will attempt a Switch version to capitalize on that market.

This will be the final answer to how many PS5's have been sold to scalpers and are rotting in storage units vs how many have been sold to people. Xboxes are irrelevant, and I'm wondering if they will attempt a Switch version to capitalize on that market.

Switch isn't happening. Switch 2... possible but unlikely.

GTA V isn't available on Switch btw.

Last edited:

Holammer

Launches on PS5, Xbox & PC.
It'll be cross-gen with current gen systems (PS5/SeriesX) and next gen systems coming in three years from now.

Some think there will be a console exclusive period, I don't think so. Sony & MS can't pony up the amount of money needed to discourage Rockstar from releasing it and PC Gamer's stream yesterday had GTA6 listed as a most wanted with some GTA roleplay influencers (?!) talking about what they expected from the game.

im more worried about it being a multiplayer game with SP slapped on.
That's what I fear too, that Rockstar will blur the line between SP & MP. But on the plus side? You get rid of the race/gender discussion for the protagonist.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If they can yes they would but there are like what 120 million PS4s out there?

I hope I am wrong but thats a lot of consoles to pass on
how many of those are still in active use? I know I count for two of those (PS4 and Pro) but they are long gone.

We are long past the point where those old systems put a hard limit on what a game is capable of.

Last edited:

proandrad

I hope it’s cross gen. That would help insure the current gen versions have solid performance. GTAV already looks great, just give me that with better character models more dense environmental details with better weather and physics. I hope all their focus is on the gameplay, story, and side quest.

Last edited:

Vlodril

It's the biggest game of all time. I don't see how they don't put it in anything under the sun. last gen, current gen, pc's maybe mobiles or streaming.

Hudo

Nah. They will re-release it for the next gen consoles. And then make a "definitive edition" after that. They gonna make people triple dip.

Lupin25

Nah lol

Rockstar knows we’re at a point far enough along during the gen, that people will literally go out & buy a console for their games.

plus, Rockstar likes to go above & beyond with certain aspects of new tech in games. They won’t be able to do that still tethered to 2012 hardware.

Think about it, this game has to last maybe through the PS7 gen, until the next game is completed. The PS4 is being phased out now.

Last edited:

Thaimasker

It's the biggest game of all time. I don't see how they don't put it in anything under the sun. last gen, current gen, pc's maybe mobiles or streaming.
Gta5 is the biggest outsise of Minecraft and that's not even on the switch let alone mobile. It'll be the biggest for a reason. Would GTA 5 be as big if they had to downscale it for PS2 hardware? Highly doubtful

amigastar

Maybe GTA VI will come out on current gen and then later be ported to last gen consoles like Hogwarts Legacy.

Diddy X

No need for it, they better focus on making it as advanced tech as they can so it survives next gen not the other way around.

GymWolf

Gta 5 didn't start development on ps2 plus they would skip a gen without a single GTA. Doom, TW3 and Hogwarts Legacy did push PS4 and PS5 hardware yet there are Switch versions. It's just a matter of RS wanting a last gen version.
Those games are pushing jack shit compared to what gta6 is gonna push (hopefully)

I repeat myself, if gta6 is crossgen, the game is gonna be rdr2 in a city with bells and whistles, there is just so much you can squeeze from a jaguar cpu.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't think Epic Games have enough cash left to buy GTA 6 as a timed exclusive. I'm more worried about this being a Rockstar Launcher exclusive, so I hope that Valve prevents this by offering them some deal. Or even worse, they may might skip the PC version at launch like they always do.

Klik

The game has been in development since 2014. There ain't no way it isn't being made with the 8th gen consoles in mind.

Even if it were restricted to 9th gen It'd probably still play and feel like a PS4 game.
Lol wtf this is so wrong.. Even if they started developing in 2014 they probably just started writing plot. Back then they were fully commited with RDR 2.

They probably started full development on GTA 6 around 2017/2018 and by then they already knew allaround PS5/Xbox specs

I don't trust Rockstar when it comes to this. Those bums never even gave up a simple 60 fps framerate on new consoles! They're charging $50 for a PORT OF RDR1 and they released GTA TRILOGY, a horrifically ugly "remaster" and never tried fixing the art for it- look at those character models..

They're top 3 worst devs in terms of greed and not giving a crap about their fans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom