• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will GTA6 be cross gen? Place your bets now!

Will GTA6 be cross-gen?

• Yes

Votes: 139 33.7%
  • No

Votes: 273 66.3%

• Total voters

Senua

Rockstar in 2024.
Sorry Michael Caine GIF

Mobilemofo

I've a sneaky feeling the Switch version is going to be fuckin marvellous.

With millions of PS4/pro consoles out there, why would you not want some of that old gen cash? It would be remiss of them to ignore that market, no matter how painful for ps5 owners.

I think it would be incredibly short sighted to release on old gen.

GTA is a game that sells 10s of millions year on year. It needs to be a 95+ metacritic game to do that. It risks compromising its quality with a last gen version all for just a quick buck which would only be a minority of it's sales seems misguided.

Limiting the game so much for what will probably amount to a few extra percent in profit over the lifecycle of the release would be awful.
Would it even be more profitable Long term if the game is lower quality due to last gen compromises?

These are intangibles that are hard to grasp than just blindly looking at last gen install base numbers.

Standards and expectations for GTA are higher than any other game and if those standards aren't met...

I think if CD Project red canned the last gen versions of cyberpunk it would have likely resulted in better long term sales but a smaller lauch.

Not saying they would fuck up that bad but you get the idea.

StueyDuck

The game is not coming till 2025 I imagine, by that time the question will be about ps5 pro and Xbox Series XL+ prime ultimate edition

Also if there's any game that will actually sell a new console to the masses it's a GTA. They don't have to worry about older gen because people will buy the newer gen just to play this game.

Last edited:

RaySoft

Rockstar knows that GTA is almost defining their own "generation", so they don't have to cater for last-gen. They know people will upgrade to play it anyways. Just look at the longevity of GTA5

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I've a sneaky feeling the Switch version is going to be fuckin marvellous.

With millions of PS4/pro consoles out there, why would you not want some of that old gen cash? It would be remiss of them to ignore that market, no matter how painful for ps5 owners.
Tell that to the company that in a few weeks will release DLC for Online that has some features that skips last gen...and PC. This has happened with the last few major DLC's.

For Online support they would be smart to not make it cross gen for PS4, XBO. Or are you saying it wont come to XBO?

That would be an interesting choice. Also interesting that the XBO is being forgotten about.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

gta6-covers.jpg

With the first trailer coming next week, thought it would be fun to start placing some bets. Next-gen (PS5/Series), cross-gen (PS4/One), Switch exclusive, Epic Store timed exclusive, place your bets!

gran-turismo-6-playstation-3-ps3.original.jpg

It will be PC / XBOX Series / PS5 platforms only. This game will be what actually forces a lot of PS4 and XBOX One era consumers to purchase a newer console and close out the last generation for good.

Pumping money in it isn't going to make it automatically great. With the developer losses and time gone by, who knows how it'll turn out. It might end up scoring mid tier. Plus, casuals make up the overwhelming majority of this series' sales, so they don't care if it's cutting edge or not, but you can bet your buts all those PS4 and Switch owners are targets for a very greedy R*.

Thaimasker

Pumping money in it isn't going to make it automatically great. With the developer losses and time gone by, who knows how it'll turn out. It might end up scoring mid tier. Plus, casuals make up the overwhelming majority of this series' sales, so they don't care if it's cutting edge or not, but you can bet your buts all those PS4 and Switch owners are targets for a very greedy R*.
They haven't put GTA V on the switch with it's 150 million playerbase so I don't see how they'll do 6 there. And greedy rockstar already for years have had a subscription service and dlc that's current gen only for GTA online.

Also rockstar EASILY has to still be one of the most talented studios, if not the most. They attract talent. Not to mention that someone like Dan houser most likely already worked on the writing of 6 before he left. It's not like writing started in 2020.

Rockstar has clearly focused on cutting edge technology in each of their releases. Casuals care about stuff like graphics more than you think.

Last edited:

elmos-acc

Little bit off-topic: If anyone else ITT wants to says "it will be cross gen with PS6/next-gen", I beg you to say something original instead. If it gets remastered/rereleased for the next generation in a couple of years, it doesn't mean it's cross gen. Personally I wouldn't even consider GTA V a cross gen game, because it released over a year later to PS4/XOne.

There is no way in hell that GTA VI will be released on PS4/XOne. Rockstar's brand depends on making an unbeatable first impression. When GTA V was revealed, people couldn't believe their eyes when they compared it to GTA IV. Sure, fans were wishing that planes, bicycles and buying property would be back, but functional stock market? They did the same with RDR2, their creative direction with the immersion is probably one of the most boldest moves that have ever paid off in gaming.

GTA VI will be no different. It is not going to be "GTA V again but with RDR2 graphics in a different city". They are going to remind people that they can not be compared to any other game developer on the planet. Maybe the announcement next week is not going to have a lot of information about the scope and direction of the game, but there will be some surprises.

And I am not even that hyped about the game. I personally did not enjoy GTA V, but the hype cycle from November 2011 to September 2013 was INSANE.

Three

I don't think it's worth chasing that install base, especially if it releases in a year or more from now.

Mowcno

Last edited:
"Grand Theft Auto VI is coming to PlayStation® 5 computer entertainment systems and Xbox Series X|S games and entertainment systems in 2025."

GTA Online's newest version will come to last-gen. They know how much money is on the table with those platforms. GTA6 "Story" Mode or whatever they'll call it will be next-gen exclusive.

comedy baby GIF

Mooreberg

GTA Online's newest version will come to last-gen. They know how much money is on the table with those platforms. GTA6 "Story" Mode or whatever they'll call it will be next-gen exclusive.

comedy baby GIF

I was also considering this to be a possibility. Lets them maximize what they want to accomplish with the campaign while still raking in the GTA Online cash.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

comedy baby GIF
I was also considering this to be a possibility. Lets them maximize what they want to accomplish with the campaign while still raking in the GTA Online cash.
If the singleplayer is not running on PS4/XboxOne, you can be sure the multiplayer wont too.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I sure hope so but this is rockstar. It took them over a year to put RDR2 on PC because reasons. I'd like to think that time is over but we'll see...

I mean the latest GTA Online update they just announced has features (wild animals) that are exclusive to console and not on PC so... They do like to randomly screw over PC users still.

Yup, looks like PC is getting screwed again.

I imagine a large marketing deal with Sony for ps5 Pro so I may pick it up on that if there is a 60fps mode. If not I'll try my best to wait lol

SCB3

I hope not, look I'm sorry if you cannot get a new gen console but time moves on and sticking to older stuff makes the experiences worse imo

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

comedy baby GIF
I see it was already answered, but its gonna be using the exact same world. It wouldnt even make sense to split it like that.

For GTA V they neglected the shit out of single player and put all the effort n energy into Online. When Online starts skipping content, leaving out features it would be smart to make PS5, Series consoles the base line. Not the platforms that already had features dropped, skipped since March 2022.
If the single player is not running on PS4/XboxOne, you can be sure the multiplayer wont too.
Agree.

Last edited:

twilo99

Absolutely not. There's no way they're making it cross-gen. That would hold them back so much from a technological standpoint.

True, but they are already doing that by targeting Zen2 laptos CPUs instead of current generation chips that run great on mid to high end Windows computers.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I like how "gamers" think advanced technology doesn't impact multiplayer for some reason.

Mooreberg

I like how "gamers" think advanced technology doesn't impact multiplayer for some reason.

It depends entirely on what they would be willing to scale back in order to make it work. Shadow of Mordor had no real business being released on PS3 and 360, but it happened anyway. Or for a specific multiplayer example, Battlefield 3 limited to 24 players on consoles was severely lacking, and that was two years before a new hardware cycle. Only Rockstar North and Take 2 can decide what the strategy is. I've already said I'm perfectly fine with it ditching last gen hardware. Thanks for the "quotations" though.

Thaimasker

How many people are really going to be still playing PS4 only in 2025+ tho?
By that time PS5 wouldn't too far to PS4 lifetime sales...

Ramzy

I'm astounded anyone thinks there's a single atom of a chance that GTAVI will release on PS4/One X. That this question is even being asked/discussed proves without a shadow of a doubt that the government is running some kind of psyop that involves weapons grade hopium in the water supply of the people who think this game is coming out on last gen. GTAV barely runs at 1080p30 on PS4 Pro, lol.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It depends entirely on what they would be willing to scale back in order to make it work. Shadow of Mordor had no real business being released on PS3 and 360, but it happened anyway. Or for a specific multiplayer example, Battlefield 3 limited to 24 players on consoles was severely lacking, and that was two years before a new hardware cycle. Only Rockstar North and Take 2 can decide what the strategy is. I've already said I'm perfectly fine with it ditching last gen hardware. Thanks for the "quotations" though.

My quotations were too harsh. I apologize.

I just think it's crazy, especially when they're going to be earning revenue with it from 2025 - 2035...to tie it to 2013 hardware.

Mooreberg

My quotations were too harsh. I apologize.

I just think it's crazy, especially when they're going to be earning revenue with it from 2025 - 2035...to tie it to 2013 hardware.

No offense taken. I agree it is unlikely, because this game is going to have some of the longest legs in the history of the medium. I'm just also aware of the technical corners a company will cut when revenue is on the line, BF3 really being the most directly comparable example. But that game was also bad timing, it was two years early in terms of consoles that could run it properly, GTA VI will be four and half to five years into the appropriate hardware cycle. So I'm leaning towards them going with the console support that has been announced since the trailer, with the obvious eventual PC release. The one thing nobody will have to worry about is a Valve style "pump n dump" product like the console versions of TF2 and CS GO. If a PS4 version of the online mode happens, they'll at least support it well enough to keep the whales happy. But with another Black Friday between now and release, along with possible MSRP drops on older units should refreshes hit the market next year, they may very well be content with what the existing generation of consoles can provide in terms of player base and microtransaction revenue. We're just kinda in unprecedented territory in terms of what the perfectly reasonable up front sales expectations and ongoing revenue generation could be on a new game.

Top Bottom