• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Constellation Questions: Talking Starfield with Todd Howard

Interesting stuff, new dialogue/choice system at 3:57.

Crazy to think this game was supposed to be out in almost exactly a month from now

s5roV6g.png

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I do wonder when this releases, 1st half of 2023 was purposefully vague. I can see this hitting in the summer. Or, if microsoft wants to space out their releases for next year, forza in march or april, redfall in june-august, starfield in november.

tmlDan

Im totally okay if this gets pushed to end of next year, just make sure it runs well.

The dialogue stuff is interesting, i like change cause i feel like every game does the same thing when choices are available.

GHG

I really appreciate a dialogue system that shows the full line.

The default Fallout 4 system was fucking atrocious. God bless mods for fixing it.

I remember debating with people who were trying to tell me the insane amount of streamlining in that game was a good thing. Sad times.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I remember debating with people who were trying to tell me the insane amount of streamlining in that game was a good thing. Sad times.

It's not even that they "console-ified" it, games like Dragon Age did line based dialogue choices so well years ago.

It was a very weird decision and led to a lot of dialogue based frustration.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

It's not even that they "console-ified" it, games like Dragon Quest did line based dialogue choices so well years ago.

It was a very weird decision and led to a lot of dialogue based frustration.

You mean dragon age right?

"nobody wants to read lines of dialogue in a shooter" or something along those lines is what I got told. Fallout 76 ended up being no surprise to me after that, they fully went after that audience.

I do wonder when this releases, 1st half of 2023 was purposefully vague. I can see this hitting in the summer. Or, if microsoft wants to space out their releases for next year, forza in march or april, redfall in june-august, starfield in november.

It will be next fall for sure. I think forza will come out around e3 time, and Redfall will be Feb/march

Unless they decide to foolishly release them on top of each other like they did forza and halo multiplayer

Last edited:

"Maybe there will be an update or a mod that will allow that"

This bodes well for the game being mod supported, hopefully just like their old games and not only through their own mod store. I was leveled when Fallout 76 was not mod friendly. Such a huge canvas and so many Fallout 4 mods that could work in Fallout 76, but it was a dead end for modding.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You mean dragon age right?

"nobody wants to read lines of dialogue in a shooter" or something along those lines is what I got told. Fallout 76 ended up being no surprise to me after that, they fully went after that audience.

Yes sorry, meant Dragon Age.

Umbasaborne

Banned
It will be next fall for sure. I think forza will come out around e3 time, and Redfall will be Feb/march

Unless they decide to foolishly release them on top of each other like they did forza and halo multiplayer
A full year delay would make sense, especially if what jason Schreier said about concerns within bethesda that this might be the next cyberpunk are true. Im glad for them to take there time if thats the case, the game looks awesome and i want a version thats as polished as a bethesda game could be

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Does that have a final release date yet ?

Eagerly looking forward to it as well.

Pretty sure it was announced for 2022 but then delayed to 2023, no guaranteed set in stone date though.

However there's very few base classes left, Monk and Paladin, however yeah considering the complexity and interactivity of the world I suspect the later acts will take more and more time to develop as the branches get larger and larger.

Chukhopops

Can’t decide what’s more hype between this and Zelda.

Full dialogue options being back is great, although FO4 had a great mod to fix it.

This game will be played and in the top sellers for years like it’s predecessors.

Jennings

Please please please have a silent protagonist. I played FO4 again recently and the crybaby main character just ruins absolutely everything about the game.

EDMIX

day fucking 1

Game still looks dated, like something from last gen, but I'm 100% ok with that.

Concept and function before all else, so not worried about looks at this point. We got games that look good that barely function as fucking games lol I here to PLAY Starfield, not merely look at it, so I'm more hype about what I can do vs how it looks.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think there are oodles of detail on the character in that screen shot, definitely not last gen looking to me.

In either case, plenty of peeps here like playing screen shots and not games so there will always be the detractors who deep down probably just hate themselves.
It's next gen compared to Bethesda last gen standards.

maxresdefault.jpg

Probably on par with HFW. Probably. The most next gen thing about the game are the massive open world vista shots which look better than any game last gen.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It's next gen compared to Bethesda last gen standards.

maxresdefault.jpg

Probably on par with HFW. Probably. The most next gen thing about the game are the massive open world vista shots which look better than any game last gen.

Horizon.png

nahhhhh

The fact that a last gen game is even matching this kinda proves that idea that it indeed looks last gen...

Even the shots of the open world stuff merely look like what we saw from Andromeda. So I don't really see anything next gen here and its concept is more next gen then anything visual that I can see.

1800.jpg

So I don't know if anything I see in this looks like anything that beyond of what we saw last gen, so for me the biggest draw is what can be done in it vs how it looks. Its on pair to the same of lots of what we saw last gen in pretty much all areas.

So one could say Bethesda is always 1 gen behind visually and 1 gen ahead conceptually lol

Last edited:
When you look at scope, interactivity, builds, locations etc it's probably the most next gen that's going to come out for a while. The prettier games tend to have alot of set dressing but barely any interactivity. When you look at BOTW vs HZD videos while it looked better most of the world was super static. BGS worlds tend to be of the most dynamic so graphically you have to be pretty adjustable.

When you look at scope, interactivity, builds, locations etc it's probably the most next gen that's going to come out for a while. The prettier games tend to have alot of set dressing but barely any interactivity. When you look at BOTW vs HZD videos while it looked better most of the world was super static. BGS worlds tend to be of the most dynamic so graphically you have to be pretty adjustable.

Lol

Theres literally nothing from that starfield gameplay demo that looked anymore “dynamic” or alive than HFW. Stop the cap

Last edited:

Kacho

Todd, calm down. I already want what you want me to want.

This game is gonna be the shit. Glad I built a new PC in November (which I do for all God Howard games ahead of release). Just need a better GPU since I’m rocking an ultrawide at 1440p.

No more delays pls

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
What did he mean that if you run out of fuel it will limit how far you can travel in one instance? How does that work if you can still propel the ship?

Top Bottom