• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Constellation Questions: Talking Starfield with Todd Howard

3liteDragon

Already looked way better than any of their previous games before & looks a little better here, few things I hope they fix before launch are the frame-pacing issues, that horrendous gunplay from the E3 demo & make sure combat in general is more fluid & responsive this time around, don't think that's too much to ask for a next-gen RPG. Otherwise still hyped.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
What did he mean that if you run out of fuel it will limit how far you can travel in one instance? How does that work if you can still propel the ship?
I'm thinking it will work like encumbrance but instead of moving slow when full, you can only jump short distances when you are empty.

ZoukGalaxy

Do we know if our protagonist will be talking like Fallout 4 or silent like Fallout 3/New Vegas/Skyrim/etc... ?

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
This is the most electrifying, ambitious, desired game on the horizon bar none.

hulk-hulk-out.gif

Horizon.png

nahhhhh

The fact that a last gen game is even matching this kinda proves that idea that it indeed looks last gen...

Even the shots of the open world stuff merely look like what we saw from Andromeda. So I don't really see anything next gen here and its concept is more next gen then anything visual that I can see.

1800.jpg

So I don't know if anything I see in this looks like anything that beyond of what we saw last gen, so for me the biggest draw is what can be done in it vs how it looks. Its on pair to the same of lots of what we saw last gen in pretty much all areas.

So one could say Bethesda is always 1 gen behind visually and 1 gen ahead conceptually lol

Not even close. Bethesda games haven't been conceptually ahead in a long, long while. Since *maybe* Morrowind, arguably Oblivion and Fallout 3. Everything since has either been increasingly dumbed down or just medicore versions of previous entries.

Mind you, that is NOT me saying those games are bad in any way, shape, or form. They are still a ton of fun - but they just aren't conceptually ahead in any arena. What Bethesda games *are* though are large, fun sandboxes to explore and there really isn't another RPG series that comes close to mimicking what Bethesda does on the scale that it does. Plenty of games have better writing, music, story, characters, and gameplay - but few offer the same scale of the enviornments.

Who knows, maybe StarField will be the first game since Morrowind to blow me away - but I don't think that will be the case. What I do know is that it will be a ton of fun to play from start to finish.

EDMIX

Not even close. Bethesda games haven't been conceptually ahead in a long, long while. Since *maybe* Morrowind, arguably Oblivion and Fallout 3. Everything since has either been increasingly dumbed down or just medicore versions of previous entries.

Mind you, that is NOT me saying those games are bad in any way, shape, or form. They are still a ton of fun - but they just aren't conceptually ahead in any arena. What Bethesda games *are* though are large, fun sandboxes to explore and there really isn't another RPG series that comes close to mimicking what Bethesda does on the scale that it does. Plenty of games have better writing, music, story, characters, and gameplay - but few offer the same scale of the enviornments.

Who knows, maybe StarField will be the first game since Morrowind to blow me away - but I don't think that will be the case. What I do know is that it will be a ton of fun to play from start to finish.

Well I don't disagree with a lot of that, simply that they have a NPC system that is hard for anyone to match. So they've always been ahead in that area, I guess that can be seen as sandbox and explore, so I agree what that part.

No other games that I know of really offer that type of thing at least not as good as they do it, maybe Kingdome Come Deliverance gets the closest to this.

Most of their games I've given up on being the next Morrowind in regards to advancements, but I'd be happy to be wrong. I've accepted it for what it is. This being just Elder Scrolls in space is good enough for me lol

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Last gen there wasn't a WRPG with a better story then the fallout games. Imo they have the best stories for any RPG. I dont see that changing this gen either.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

what do you mean "maybe" morrowind. that game's scope and sense of freedom was absolutely in a league of it's own.

you are right that they started dumbing things down around oblivion when they started making console ports a priority, but there is still nobody else making these kind of games at this scale. i think this may very well be Todd's swansong as a game director. i expect to have my mind (and my cooch) blown but i'm also expecting a lot of jank.

DaGwaphics

The persuasion system looks interesting, the up-close face shots of the characters reminds me of mass effect in a way, hopefully they do as good of a job demonstrating the emotions of the characters you are talking to.

@ BennyBlanco BennyBlanco That's quite a well timed screen capture there, I'd say it is fully meme worthy. LOL

DaGwaphics

@ semiconscious semiconscious I'd hope that characters wouldn't just cycle through emotions without being interacted with, besides maybe going to an impatient type look or abruptly ending the conversation if you take too long. :messenger_beaming:

Sounds like they crib Big Bad Wolf dialogue system. The Council and Vampire Masquarade Swansong had a sorta minigame during dialogue where if you have the right stats you get to persuade, intimidate, or charm someone on a dice roll.
Its funny now that the big boi is doing it, reviewers cant help at saying its an orgasmic innovation.

Kagey K

Banned
Sounds like they crib Big Bad Wolf dialogue system. The Council and Vampire Masquarade Swansong had a sorta minigame during dialogue where if you have the right stats you get to persuade, intimidate, or charm someone on a dice roll.
Its funny now that the big boi is doing it, reviewers cant help at saying its an orgasmic innovation.
AAA games are the only games that matter.

Let's not pretend they just started ripping off indies now.

GenericUser

Excellent, way better then expected. Day 1, of course.

Todd really is one of the last guys in the industry that talks like he understands how games are supposed to be designed. Not all that hot air that other devs produce with their filler words. I love him.

Last edited:
Great news. Starfield is my most anticipated game of 2023. I need a really good western rpg to dig into. It's been a while, and I feel Bethesda will deliver.

Last edited:
I would like to buy it.

But normally don't buy games on gamepass. So hopefully they will offer season pass or something at release.

Lol

Theres literally nothing from that starfield gameplay demo that looked anymore “dynamic” or alive than HFW. Stop the cap

You can't be serious.

Comparing an RPG with an action game for interactivity.

Even a simple side quest has multiple ways to approach and resolutions in Skyrim.

anthony2690

Banned
All I want to know is if the game will have 60fps on series X...

& Improved/good gunplay please, I feel like they should be able to nail this with assistance from some other besthesda studios if they are struggling.

Laptop1991

Watched this, looking forward to Starfield and using the dialogue system also playing a new game at last :messenger_winking:,

Hopefully no more delays but i want it to work well, and the Nexus will get a lot of use anyway, so im in.

GymWolf

day fucking 1

Game still looks dated, like something from last gen, but I'm 100% ok with that.

Concept and function before all else, so not worried about looks at this point. We got games that look good that barely function as fucking games lol I here to PLAY Starfield, not merely look at it, so I'm more hype about what I can do vs how it looks.
I can feel the badly veiled slander of cyberpunk from my home in sicily. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Obviously not an indicator of quality but still some information
OPq6Vmf.jpg
Im going to be stuck in the universe for the rest of the generation arent I?

God damn, I might have to delay my purchase just so I can actually play some of the heavy hitters of 2023 before become a recluse member of Constellation.

P.S
Thats the most community manager community manager ive ever seen.

The detail on the tape over the eye on that helmet is great. 16x the detail ???

Still waiting in anticipation and with realistic expectations as this is Bethesda we are talking about.

And maybe, just maybe in 2023 there might be a possibility of upgrading my rig....

Head In The Clouds Dreaming GIF by kimburgerly

GymWolf

That helmet looks sick
The helmet remind me of army of two brand.

I would argue that piranha byte games do 90% of what betheda games do except leaving forks in dungeons to return after 100 hours just to say that the fork is still there.
Bethesda games are a bit more physics based.

It's next gen compared to Bethesda last gen standards.

maxresdefault.jpg

Probably on par with HFW. Probably. The most next gen thing about the game are the massive open world vista shots which look better than any game last gen.
I'm sorry?

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Looks like Bethesda finally reached mid-tier PS4/X1 graphics with their creation engine. And all it took for that to happen was the power of current gen consoles.....

Top Bottom