• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Constellation Questions: Talking Starfield with Todd Howard

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
"On par with HFW". I love GAF.
You missed me saying probably twice. You have a reading comprehension of a 6 year old.

The helmet remind me of army of two brand.

I would argue that piranha byte games do 90% of what betheda games do except leaving forks in dungeons to return after 100 hours just to say that the fork is still there.
Bethesda games are a bit more physics based.

I'm sorry?
The detail on the helmet is very impressive. Horizon has better faces but the tesselation here that helps the duct tape stand out is not something you typically see in last gen video games.

That guy is using Destiny's one-eyed-mask.

1665598714315340.jpg

2CnY8L9s2sdSt2GGSfJzce.jpg

But it looks badass and not silly

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sounds like a menu option but with extra steps.

Yeah, the last thing I want is a QTE to make a successful co-op match lol
All that futuristic technology and dude’s got a sloppy duct tape job all over his helmet?

C’mon son.

I mean folks use duct tape to hold together airplanes and even parts of space ships :p

It's the most futuristic-handy thing we have lol

Greirat

So how does this persuasion system work? Todd says you spend points, but I don't see any point spending happening in the video.

So how does this persuasion system work? Todd says you spend points, but I don't see any point spending happening in the video.

You spend points before getting into conversation.

They are not showing available attributes cause obviously it must be work in progress.

reksveks

The traits seem really fun and the fact you can actually resolve them in your playthrough can be an indicator of how much they went roleplay with the game.
Do like that second bit, I wonder/hope there will be traits that start as an advantage and ends up as a disadvantage as the main quest continues.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think there are oodles of detail on the character in that screen shot, definitely not last gen looking to me.

In either case, plenty of peeps here like playing screen shots and not games so there will always be the detractors who deep down probably just hate themselves.

When you say last gen, do you mean last gen (PS4) or last last gen (PS3)? Because that screenshot looks 100% like a PS4 game, and not a terribly impressive one. Many games from that generation have better looking character models.

Last gen there wasn't a WRPG with a better story then the fallout games. Imo they have the best stories for any RPG. I dont see that changing this gen either.
This is some small brain shit. Really not a SINGLE WRPG better writing than Fallout? Witcher? Torment: Tides of Numenerra? Pathfinder Kingmaker? Pathfinder Wrath? Divinity Original Sin and its sequel?

You are either a troll or lived with your head in the sand.

what do you mean "maybe" morrowind. that game's scope and sense of freedom was absolutely in a league of it's own.

you are right that they started dumbing things down around oblivion when they started making console ports a priority, but there is still nobody else making these kind of games at this scale. i think this may very well be Todd's swansong as a game director. i expect to have my mind (and my cooch) blown but i'm also expecting a lot of jank.
As in it can be argued that Oblivion/Fallout 3 could have been the last ones that pushed anything conceptually. Personally, I think the last top tier game from them was Morrowind, but I can see the arguments made for the other two titles.

d3g12NZ.jpg

Or have people not played it?
I adore that game, but it does stuff *very* differently from what Bethesda does. Really not comparable other than being open world RPGs at a very basic level.

Kingdom Come is a meticulously designed RPG-Sim about a time in history. No magic, no sorcery, no big bad villains - just shades of gray and the rugged/regressive nature of that time. Absolutely brilliant and a must play for anyone. But not a Bethesda style game.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This is some small brain shit. Really not a SINGLE WRPG better writing than Fallout? Witcher? Torment: Tides of Numenerra? Pathfinder Kingmaker? Pathfinder Wrath? Divinity Original Sin and its sequel?

You are either a troll or lived with your head in the sand.
The only small brain troll with there head in the sand is somone who accuses somone of these things just because they have a different opinion.

The only small brain troll with there head in the sand is somone who accuses somone of these things just because they have a different opinion.

It is a meme, mate. But please do get triggered over a very commonly used meme! The tears of platform warriors like yourself just sustain me XD

Last edited:

Sosokrates

It is a meme, mate. But please do get triggered over a very commonly used meme! The tears of platform warriors like yourself just sustain me XD

If its just a meme why call me a platform warrior? cope.

Seriously dont start shit just because someones opinion upsets you.

If its just a meme why call me a platform warrior? cope.

Seriously dont start shit just because someones opinion upsets you.

Because you are a platform warrior? Why wouldn't I call a spade a spade? One who is clearly very angry and bitter at that. Keep projecting though. Again, the infantile rage of you warriors gives me life and endless amount of comedy.

Sosokrates

Because you are a platform warrior? Why wouldn't I call a spade a spade? One who is clearly very angry and bitter at that. Keep projecting though. Again, the infantile rage of you warriors gives me life and endless amount of comedy.
So im a platform warrior because i like fallouts stories?

Now thats some small brain shit.

So im a platform warrior because i like fallouts stories?

Now thats some small brain shit.

Hardly. You are a platform warrior because all you do is cry about other platforms besides PC/Xbox. Of course, you know this, so I am not sure who you are trying to fool with the pathetic attempt at dismissing the obvious. Maybe yourself? Clearly isn't the community as everyone is more than familiar with your shtick.

Kvally

Banned
I do wonder when this releases, 1st half of 2023 was purposefully vague. I can see this hitting in the summer. Or, if microsoft wants to space out their releases for next year, forza in march or april, redfall in june-august, starfield in november.
Typically in the US, first half of a year is January to June. That is when they are releasing Starfield. In fact, they are showing that between now and June they are releasing Minecraft Legends, Forza Motorsport 8, Starfield and Redfall. Great time to be a gamer, that is for sure.

amigastar

In anticipation of Starfield i'm giving The Outer Worlds another try on Game Pass. The Metacritic score is pretty good, what you guys think of the game? Is it worth it?

Last edited:

Goon_Bong

When you say last gen, do you mean last gen (PS4) or last last gen (PS3)? Because that screenshot looks 100% like a PS4 game, and not a terribly impressive one. Many games from that generation have better looking character models.
I'm saying that it looks perfectly satisfactory for a current gen game given its scale. Feel free to post some up-close screen shots of characters on any PS4 titles that you think have that level of texture detail at that scale so we can compare.

DaGwaphics

Or, maybe there's a possibility that some users like the Fallout series better than the games you mention. I know, it's a earth shattering position to take, but sometimes people just like/gravitate towards different things. @ Sosokrates Sosokrates did specify the position as "IMO", and wasn't exactly declaring that the rest of the world felt the same. The Fallout series sells with as many iterations that there have been, a sign that some gamers like it to say the least.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

In anticipation of Starfield i'm giving The Outer Worlds another try on Game Pass. The Metacritic score is pretty good, what you guys think of the game? Is it worth it?
Yes it is, it wasn't a big triple A game, for a game with limited funds and team it is really worth it imo, if you like Bethesda's games of 10 years ago, especially New Vegas for characters and dialogue, and don't expect the game to be as big as they are, but want a game similar, then play the Outer Worlds, it's not like there has been any other games made like them in the last decade. i really enjoyed it.

amigastar

Yes it is, it wasn't a big triple A game, for a game with limited funds and team it is really worth it imo, if you like Bethesda's games of 10 years ago, especially New Vegas for characters and dialogue, and don't expect the game to be as big as they are, but want a game similar, then play the Outer Worlds, it's not like there has been any other games made like them in the last decade. i really enjoyed it.
I'm about 1 hour in and i really dig it.

MarkMe2525

What did he mean that if you run out of fuel it will limit how far you can travel in one instance? How does that work if you can still propel the ship?
Probably means you drop out of "hyperdrive". It took over 540 days for voyager to reach Jupiter while it was traveling at 1000's of mph. There is no practical way to travel in space in a timely manner unless you have some sci-fi propulsion system.

Last edited:
Graphical detail looks insane. Guns and pressurized space suites, what could possibly go wrong for these space explorers.
Modern guns actually wouldn't work very well in vacuum at all beyond a few shots. The lack of air to radiate heat would lead to failure much faster than in an atmosphere. I also don't know how well lubricant would last in such an environment. You also have vacuum welding where in the absence of oxygen there is no microscopic layer of oxidization in metals, and metal without that can literally stick itself together on an atomic level.

I've been building a relatively hard sci-fi campaign setting for table top for a few years, and there's a shit ton of stuff like this I've had to research.

Top Bottom