• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Constellation Questions: Talking Starfield with Todd Howard

Oh my god, someone pointed this on twitter.

The fucking adoring fan is back ! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fe5XCW4XoAYSaRj

Fe5XCu8XoBIdARV

I fucking flipped when I realized this! Every time I see a connection to Oblivion with Starfield, it just makes me that much more excited about the game as a whole. Oblivion was my first introduction to Bethesda RPGs after all.

Also very interested in how the point system mini-game works with persuasion during conversations.

My current theory on the matter is that every NPC has a certain persuasion level, similar to lockpick levels. The colors to the left (green, yellow, red) are obviously different levels of extreme in terms of your character's aggressive response. Part of me views it as similar to Cyberpunk 2077's breach protocol and quick hack (a specific amount of RAM is needed for each hack, and the amount of RAM needed can be reduced by improving the skill) mechanics.

Also take note of the "Auto-Persuade" In Cyberpunk 2077 there is a point at which you can level that up where the first level of daemon in breach protocol is automatically uploaded for you at the start. But I obviously don't feel it's this simple, I think there's a twist based on a per NPC basis. I don't believe you really do get all 3 turns at all times. I think you can actually go far enough with a response depending on the NPC, or depending on your character's persuasion or conversation ability, where you may not actually get 3 tries. You might try your luck just once with that +5 option and basically be in a fight immediately.

Also, there appears to be even more choices available in that persuasion mode besides just the ones we saw. Take a look at the pictures below (one circled in red).

Notice on the first set of dialog options that little arrow indicating there are more choices isn't there!

6TpbZSD.png

l9jqkfK.png

DaGwaphics

Modern guns actually wouldn't work very well in vacuum at all beyond a few shots. The lack of air to radiate heat would lead to failure much faster than in an atmosphere. I also don't know how well lubricant would last in such an environment. You also have vacuum welding where in the absence of oxygen there is no microscopic layer of oxidization in metals, and metal without that can literally stick itself together on an atomic level.

I've been building a relatively hard sci-fi campaign setting for table top for a few years, and there's a shit ton of stuff like this I've had to research.

I would think an everyday earth gun wouldn't function at all in a vacuum. No oxygen = no spark or combustion. Projectile weapons in space would need to provide their own source of oxygen at minimum. Had no idea about the metal sticking together thing.

MarkMe2525

Modern guns actually wouldn't work very well in vacuum at all beyond a few shots. The lack of air to radiate heat would lead to failure much faster than in an atmosphere. I also don't know how well lubricant would last in such an environment. You also have vacuum welding where in the absence of oxygen there is no microscopic layer of oxidization in metals, and metal without that can literally stick itself together on an atomic level.

I've been building a relatively hard sci-fi campaign setting for table top for a few years, and there's a shit ton of stuff like this I've had to research.
Water cooled AK-47.

I would think an everyday earth gun wouldn't function at all in a vacuum. No oxygen = no spark or combustion. Projectile weapons in space would need to provide their own source of oxygen at minimum. Had no idea about the metal sticking together thing.

Modern gunpowder and primers have its own oxidizer, it will fire in the absence of O2.

Water cooled AK-47.

More of a heat sink than a cooling system on a small arm platform.

MarkMe2525

Space is an average temperature of -455 degrees though. :pie_thinking:
But there is no medium for the heat to transfer too. The only heat dissipation would be through the release of infrared radiation. Liquid and gas are another subject all together as the lack of pressure causes liquids and gases to expand, which we know rapid expansion of a volume causes the volume to cool.

Edit: Temperature is a measure of energy density in an object. If the objects volume changes, the given density of energy changes along with it. This may be a terrible way to explain this, so if someone is more knowledgeable on the subject, please correct me.

More of a heat sink than a cooling system on a small arm platform.
I know, I was attempting to be funny.

Last edited:
All this dead space hype today has me curious about the "creepy" quests we'll encounter while playing Starfield. I still remember some of the scarier vaults in Fallout 3.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm so hoping that this isn't going to suck. I love space games like Elite but they can get a bit tedious and feel empty without a story or NPCs, and Starfield looks to be a game that aims to provie this kind of space sim experience with all the action and story of a single player RPG.

It just sounds too good to be true. Like a dream game that I always wanted.

Chukhopops

I'm so hoping that this isn't going to suck. I love space games like Elite but they can get a bit tedious and feel empty without a story or NPCs, and Starfield looks to be a game that aims to provie this kind of space sim experience with all the action and story of a single player RPG.

It just sounds too good to be true. Like a dream game that I always wanted.
There are only two scenarios: either it’s great at launch or it’s great a couple months later once mods fix the issues.

That’s why I’m not worried especially now that mods are supported on consoles.

hlm666

All this dead space hype today has me curious about the "creepy" quests we'll encounter while playing Starfield. I still remember some of the scarier vaults in Fallout 3.
I hope the do something with event horizon with an old space derelict or something kinda like they did with the dunwich horror in F3 and dunwich borers in F4. There will probably be a dunwich colony on some planet to continue that theme though.

feynoob

Banned
I'm curious what factions there will be in the game. Maybe some Dark Brotherhood faction?
Here is the factions that we know so far.
https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-factions/
  • Constellation
    • The first faction you'll join is Constellation, the "last group of space explorers," according to Bethesda. This is the default group, and will place players in a position to window shop for other factions (or just chill with the Constellation crew).
      Constellation takes the front seat for a chunk of the gameplay reveal we saw in summer 2022, delivering some background about a mysterious artifact that your character finds. "We're committed to the biggest question of all: What's out there?" they say in that video, not surprising to hear that kind of aspirational curiosity from the explorer faction.
  • United Colonies
    • This group is an idealized futuristic space republic which Bethesda has called the "most powerful, established military and political faction in the game." During the Colony War twenty years before Starfield takes place, they fought against the Freestar Collective.
      From the concept art we've seen, it possesses giant mech-like ships hovering on air bases. A lot of the troops are strapped up with blasters and tactical belts; a fashion style reminiscent of the original Star Wars. The United Colonies finds its home in New Atlantis, the biggest of Starfield cities which Bethesda says is the also biggest in its development history.
      During the time Starfield takes place, it seems the colonies are particularly concerned with the Crimson Fleet pirate threat. The gameplay reveal included a bit of dialogue from at least one quest in which the United Colonies want to recruit the player to "take down these cutthroat pirates" together
  • Freestar Collective
    • Cowboys have found their home in space with the Freestar Collective, for "people that are out there on the frontier." In the Colony War they fought against the United Colonies, pushing for individualism. Now, they focus on preserving their own wellbeing, calling themselves "peacekeepers" who protect their own people. They hail from Akila City where they're surrounded by the local alien predators the Ashta.
      During character creation, you can choose the trait "Freestar Collective Settler" which gives access to Freestar-specific dialogue and better faction rewards during quests, but also increases your bounty for crimes against other factions.
  • Ryujin Industries
    • Ryujin Industries is the space take on a mega-corporation, and according to the devs "has one of the best starts of any of Starfield's factions." That's most of what we know about the corporate faction so far aside from some very neon concept art.
  • Crimson Fleet
    • Yup, these guys are literally Starfield's space pirate faction. In a March preview video, Design Director Emil Pagliarulo said "They're not just this foe, let the player join them. What does that mean?" From this conversation it seems like the Crimson Fleet is full of bad dudes. But you'll have the option to fully join them, or work undercover as a space-narc instead.
  • House of Va’ruun - A cult of space zealots
  • Enlightened - A religious organization
  • Sanctum Universum - Another religion, the church of the Universal
  • Great Serpent worshippers - Also a religious space sect
  • Ecliptic Mercenaries - A group of mercenaries
  • Spacers - Dangerous marauders
Only the first 5 can be joined. Rest depends on bethesda info.

amigastar

• Constellation
    • The first faction you'll join is Constellation, the "last group of space explorers," according to Bethesda. This is the default group, and will place players in a position to window shop for other factions (or just chill with the Constellation crew).
      Constellation takes the front seat for a chunk of the gameplay reveal we saw in summer 2022, delivering some background about a mysterious artifact that your character finds. "We're committed to the biggest question of all: What's out there?" they say in that video, not surprising to hear that kind of aspirational curiosity from the explorer faction.
  • United Colonies
    • This group is an idealized futuristic space republic which Bethesda has called the "most powerful, established military and political faction in the game." During the Colony War twenty years before Starfield takes place, they fought against the Freestar Collective.
      From the concept art we've seen, it possesses giant mech-like ships hovering on air bases. A lot of the troops are strapped up with blasters and tactical belts; a fashion style reminiscent of the original Star Wars. The United Colonies finds its home in New Atlantis, the biggest of Starfield cities which Bethesda says is the also biggest in its development history.
      During the time Starfield takes place, it seems the colonies are particularly concerned with the Crimson Fleet pirate threat. The gameplay reveal included a bit of dialogue from at least one quest in which the United Colonies want to recruit the player to "take down these cutthroat pirates" together
  • Freestar Collective
    • Cowboys have found their home in space with the Freestar Collective, for "people that are out there on the frontier." In the Colony War they fought against the United Colonies, pushing for individualism. Now, they focus on preserving their own wellbeing, calling themselves "peacekeepers" who protect their own people. They hail from Akila City where they're surrounded by the local alien predators the Ashta.
      During character creation, you can choose the trait "Freestar Collective Settler" which gives access to Freestar-specific dialogue and better faction rewards during quests, but also increases your bounty for crimes against other factions.
  • Ryujin Industries
    • Ryujin Industries is the space take on a mega-corporation, and according to the devs "has one of the best starts of any of Starfield's factions." That's most of what we know about the corporate faction so far aside from some very neon concept art.
  • Crimson Fleet
    • Yup, these guys are literally Starfield's space pirate faction. In a March preview video, Design Director Emil Pagliarulo said "They're not just this foe, let the player join them. What does that mean?" From this conversation it seems like the Crimson Fleet is full of bad dudes. But you'll have the option to fully join them, or work undercover as a space-narc instead.
Sounds good, thank you. Maybe a little too many religious factions.

Last edited:
  • Constellation
  • United Colonies
  • Freestar Collective
  • Ryujin Industries
  • Crimson Fleet
Can't join all the factions. Will have to do multiple playthroughs like Fallout 4.
If it's like Skyrim you can! And if Bethesda won't let you, mods will.

Thebonehead

Banned
  • Constellation
  • United Colonies
  • Freestar Collective
  • Ryujin Industries
  • Crimson Fleet
Sounds like crimson fleet for me

Top Bottom